Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)

liamt07, Feb 05, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Poured a beautiful golden straw color with a bubbly, frothy head that quickly left leaving intricate lacings.

S - Aromas of pineapple, apple and lemon are couple with a nice hop presence.

T - The fruit nuances wash over the palate first, immediately followed by the spiciness of the Belgian yeast creating a surprising, but greatly appreciated tartness. The finish is balanced with a lemony, piney bite.

M - Nice carbonation, light to medium-bodied.

D - With the light-medium body, "low" ABV, and the Belgian funk Stone's Cail-Belgique is very easy to consume, especially on those hot summer days.

PEIhop, May 29, 2011

iL0VEbeer, Sep 03, 2013

2/24/2011

On tap at Stone.

A: Yellow gold with a two finger creamy white head that lasts for a minute and leaves a little lacing when it recedes.

S: Granny Smith apple, bubble gum, and orange. I get a little coriander in there as well. It gets a little spicier as it warms up, and I get a dash of white pepper and perhaps some clove. Fruity and quite aromatic.

T: Orange flesh, a little grapefruit, Granny Smith apple, pear, and a little coriander. Moderate bitterness with no real malt flavor. Alcohol is hidden. The finish is smooth and fruity. I get a little bubble gum and there's a dash of spicy phenols on the back end.

M: Upper light in body with an upper moderate level of carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and sticky.

Overall: As much as I hate the idea of the Belgian IPA (and I really don't like most Belgian IPA's that I try), this is a pretty good beer. It's not one I drink often because there are invariably better beers on the menu, but this is not bad at all.

HopHead84, Feb 25, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

rolltide8425, Jul 26, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, hint of pale malt, slight yeast, citrus hops, pine hops, and slight spice. Fits the style of a Belgian IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pine hops, slight citrus hops, hint of alcohol, and slight spice. Overall, good aroma, blend, and body.

Tone, May 28, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -44.1%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a very clear, urine yellow color. A foamy, bright white head dissipated at a moderate pace leaving a lot of sticky lacing.

A nice, spicy yeast aroma greets the nose. Sadly, for me anyway, this the rare beer that smells better than it tastes. The dominate flavor is an overly sticky, sweet clove flavor.

The body is thinner than even a regular IPA and if it wasn't for that clove taste would be non-existent. I did not find this to be a very drinkable, or enjoyable, beer. I think this kind of a bastard style to begin with, with that said there are better examples of the style, go find them. Stone IPA is among my favorite IPAs and I love Belgian beers so this was a big disappointment for me.

beertunes, Jun 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -9%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery. The beer poured with a honey-gold color, with a tall, frothy, bright white head. The beer looked like it had a heavy, almost syrupy feel to it. Citrus, Belgian spice, and resiny bitter-sweet aromas on the nose. The smell is very vibrant and full. The beer itself is bitter-sweet, with heavy malted and spiced flavors forming a backbone for the dry, pepper spiced hops profiles. The beer has a sweet and sour balanced aftertaste, with some bitter hops giving the beer a dry finish. The beer is sweeter than most IPAs, and the Belgian funk makes this one difficult to drink lots of, for my personal tastes, at least.

GarthDanielson, Jan 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Picked this up at Tower on Piedmont in Atlanta.

Pours a crystal-clear gold color with a bright white two-finger head. The head shrinks down into a thin layer of bubbles on top, leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light fruits - bananas and pears - with a medicinal and almost spicy hop aroma.

Tastes good. Light fruit flavors are backed up by a good hop bite that ends with a solid bitterness. There's a sweet malt backbone throughout and hints of Belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness with active carbonation that make it go down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. It's by no means the tastiest Belgian IPA I've had, but it's no slouch.

Overall this is a tasty offering from Stone, and one that is worth a shot.

glid02, Jan 16, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

From bomber to nonic pint glass

A: Pale golden sunset in color. Massive 3+ finger head on a reasonable pour. Sticky lacing consumed the top of my glass as the head fell.

S: The highlight of this beer. Melted butter and caramel - the moment I pop the cap it hits my nose like a sack full of half dollars.

T: Not your Daddy's IPA. Pork belly and liquid smoke on the forepalate. The malt makes an appearance too, though apparently the hops didn't get invited. It is quite apparent that this is a Belgian style brew, as the yeast used changes the profile of this one completely (the bottle states this is the Stone IPA, brewed with a special Belgian strain).

M: Like most of Stone's brews, it's the perfect level of carbonation for the style. It's creamy and luxurious, yet not so heavy as to be offputting.

O: I like that Stone has done something different here. I can say with sincereity that I prefer their standard IPA, though I'm certainly glad I picked this up. I don't know if I'll return to this one.

Rhettroactive, Jan 27, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a nice dark-golden color with a two finger head into my glass. Looks about right.

Aroma is full of grassy hops and spice in the nose. A hint of grapefruit peeks out. Very decent for the hops part.

Taste is full of floral hops with a pronounced spice bite upfront. Elements of a west coast IPA and belgian IPA are abound but the hops dominate as with most of the Stone lineup that I've had. The malt shows through only a bit.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hops and spice and malt. Not bad. Alcohol is well hidden, though it's not that high anyway.

Not bad at all. I like this example of the style. It has a definite Stone feel to it. My only problem is that Belgian part of this beer seems lost. Regardless, you cannot go wrong with giving this a shot.

Brad007, Apr 23, 2009

atrocity, Apr 23, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +11%

I bought the first bottle I saw in OH, $6.99 at Whole Foods. The beer is yellow as corn but clear as water, thick white foamy head that laces dry onto the glass. The smell is a near-perfect coupling of west coast hops with Belgian yeast, the citrus from the hops and the esters from the yeast. The taste is likewise representative of both styles, much better suited to my tastes than the Belgian IPA's I've tried in the past (Urthel Hop-It, Chouffe tripel IPA, etc). Lots of grapefruit with spiciness and cloves, very tasty. A real winner from Stone.

TurdFurgison, Dec 08, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 11/10/12 thanks liamt07 for sending me the bottle

A not quite clear golden yellow with various sized bubbles throughout, tight two finger off white head sits long enough to leave 4 thin rings of lace followed by lots of random patches, sexy looking stuff

S lemon hits me first with some soapy pine and toffee, faint spices with some more citrus fruits and candied pineapple, the yeast profiles Belgian but the hops are American and there's a little something I can't quite place but its fruity and good

T some bitter greens and lime rind, sprite perhaps with very faint banana, earthy weedy notes and there's still fruit I can't place

M a nice bitter bite with a little grit, well concealed booze and a big citrus finish, good carbonation and slick after the fact for a short time

O this ones going to bug me because there's a fruity aspect I can't quite place but its positive. If anything it could use more Belgian yeast to get it more on line with the style but I liked it no matter how its labeled

I feel like I'm being hard on this one even though it gets a high score, not quite 4.25 in many areas maybe I should start complaining that we need a .10 increment on the site

wordemupg, Oct 12, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

22oz bottle, finally spotted this one at steve's - university

appearance: poured into my hopleaf tulip...bright, clear golden-orange body, light beige film. very clean

smell: zesty citrus hops, very bright and clean, fresh belgian yeast. aromatic, pungent, lovely

taste: lovely belgian yeast...clean, crisp citrus hops - grapefruit, tangerine zest. Really enjoy this one - beautiful belgian IPA from stone

mouthfeel: clean, crisp, relatively light with a zingy hop bite

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Jan 07, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -6%

Cynic-ale, Jul 30, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mug.

Appearance: light orange hue with plenty of haze and three fingers of foamy white head. Not a bad looking beer at all!

Smell: flat, musty saison-like aroma with hops smelling like cut grass and earth. There is a bitterness to the aroma, which I find interesting. Not bad, but it's not grabbing me.

Taste: very earthy, funky flavor. Dry grass, wet blanket and a little bitterness are all present, along with a bit of citrusy hops. I'm finding that I'm liking this more the more I drink it. I would guess that this beer is not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nicely-integrated carbonation which yields a pretty creamy mouthfeel. I like it.

Drinkability: pretty tasty and it has some refreshing character. I would have this again.

flagmantho, Sep 19, 2010

drummermattie02, Dec 12, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -6%

chippo33, Sep 20, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Slightly cloudy copper and bronze hue with an awesome two to three finger head that leaves craggy foam on the glass after each sip.

Great citric and floral mix in the aroma. Orange zest with a little fresh picked wild flowers. All on top of a light biscuit.

Starts with lots of carbonation and bitter orange marmalade. The middle turns into sweet oarnge candy with a little caramel. The finish goes from citric bitterness to floral bitterness on the linger.

This beer is well carbonated on the toongue upfront, then finishes a little resiny. Nicely done.

scruffwhor, Mar 22, 2011

xnicknj, Dec 06, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Dry peppery and can't believe this is 6.9 for an Abv. A lovely example that I would be happy to belly up to again and again. Just so I can pad the would count from one of my favourite chalices for tastings the Schiltz American Abbey series. Nice residual sweetness balanced against aggressive dry hopping all making for a nice brew.

WoodBrew, Apr 22, 2012

GraduatedCashew, Aug 28, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +11%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a yellowish color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of creamy/foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A sharp, fruit, hoppy aroma, with some traces of malt and yeast.

T: Tasted of hops, Belgian yeast, citrus, and a good amount of malt. A nicely balanced, vibrant, flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An eminently drinkable Belgian IPA.

avalon07, Jul 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -11%

I drank this from a 22oz bomber into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a light golden orange. The head is white, but pretty non-existent.

The aroma is all hops very bitter, not much else. A little sour citrus, lemon.

The taste is sweet to start but sour grapefruit sweet. The end is light bitter, not as bitter as the aroma. There is a light metallic finish.

Feel is ok, drinkability decent.

jrallen34, Jan 10, 2010
Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.