Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.87/5  rDev -3%

A: Poured a clear, bright orange with a 2 finger, spongey ivory capping that was moderately lasting. A visible light effervesce was faint and slow moving while a small patchy covering was left for a lacing. Nice coloring.

S: The aroma had a bit of fruitiness with fresh oranges and soft grapefruit notes. A faint underlying smokiness was detected while lemons and a wildflower hopping rounds things out.

T: The flavor opens with tart tangerines with a citrusy flowery hopping. Slightly acidic with a dry flowery fade and a light dried malting and muskiness was well noted. Some sweet orange candy notes and a modest showing of dried fruitiness (grapes) and alcohol were also present. Overall a decent flavor, but was expecting more from this and lacked the complexity or yeastiness from other staple Belgian style beers.

M: Medium body, smooth texture with a soft carbonation tingle. Finishes dry with a slight tartness.

D: Overall good drinkability easy enough to consume but somehow was expecting more from this. Good, but only moderatly enjoyable. Drinks much bigger then its advertised 6.9% abv.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery. The beer poured with a honey-gold color, with a tall, frothy, bright white head. The beer looked like it had a heavy, almost syrupy feel to it. Citrus, Belgian spice, and resiny bitter-sweet aromas on the nose. The smell is very vibrant and full. The beer itself is bitter-sweet, with heavy malted and spiced flavors forming a backbone for the dry, pepper spiced hops profiles. The beer has a sweet and sour balanced aftertaste, with some bitter hops giving the beer a dry finish. The beer is sweeter than most IPAs, and the Belgian funk makes this one difficult to drink lots of, for my personal tastes, at least.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

22 picked up over the weekend at John's Marketplace in Portland for $5.99... really.. just charge $6... poured into my waiting shaped SA glass...

2 finger head is bubbly and lasts forever.. great lacing atop a slightly hazy honey straw brew.

Nose is a very nice mash-up of Belgian yeastiness and some citric hoppiness.. what little pale malt essence that is there is completely drowned out (in a good way) by all the above fantastic aromas.

The flavor is "pretty much" everything I had hoped it would be.. tons of bubblegum and a citrus zest.. spicy and fairly phenolic.. as it warms there is a grapefruit and pineapple component that becomes more prevalent.. but the yeastiness is just about perfect.. the body is light side of medium with a nice smooth small bubble carbonation...

I like this brew a bunch.. Brenda had a taste and amazingly she asked if it was "the Green Flash beer that I like". She meant "le freak".. this brew is pretty damn good.. but it does not verge on le freak category..

I am damn happy I have another glass to enjoy... now.... we just need to get this delicacy into boise.

4/4/4.5/4/4.5

3.67/5  rDev -8%

From bomber to nonic pint glass

A: Pale golden sunset in color. Massive 3+ finger head on a reasonable pour. Sticky lacing consumed the top of my glass as the head fell.

S: The highlight of this beer. Melted butter and caramel - the moment I pop the cap it hits my nose like a sack full of half dollars.

T: Not your Daddy's IPA. Pork belly and liquid smoke on the forepalate. The malt makes an appearance too, though apparently the hops didn't get invited. It is quite apparent that this is a Belgian style brew, as the yeast used changes the profile of this one completely (the bottle states this is the Stone IPA, brewed with a special Belgian strain).

M: Like most of Stone's brews, it's the perfect level of carbonation for the style. It's creamy and luxurious, yet not so heavy as to be offputting.

O: I like that Stone has done something different here. I can say with sincereity that I prefer their standard IPA, though I'm certainly glad I picked this up. I don't know if I'll return to this one.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Slightly hazy dark gold with a thin whitish cap of fine bubbles. Quite a bit of streaky lacing, good head retention for what's present. Big citrus hop presence in the nose, grapefruit and pine, a bit powdery, but with some pineapple/tropical character, bubblegum, and faint spice as well. Same in the flavour, coming together in a sweettart-like fruitiness, but with a solid bitterness. Mild sweetness was mostly fruity, with a hint of strawberry, rather than malty. Closer to light than medium bodied and fairly dry, moderate carbonation, a bit on the rough side. I liked it. The difference in yeast added more complexity than I expected, but a slightly modified malt bill would probably improve the texture and create something truly impressive.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, hint of pale malt, slight yeast, citrus hops, pine hops, and slight spice. Fits the style of a Belgian IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pine hops, slight citrus hops, hint of alcohol, and slight spice. Overall, good aroma, blend, and body.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at the brewpub last week.

Pours a clear orange, nice looking, chunky but thin white head forms, settles down to a ring around the glass, touch of lace. Smell is neat, bubblegum, bananas, honey, light floral character, bready yeast, grass, light spice, refreshing aroma. Taste is honey and that bubblegum, banana, floral, nice bit of light fruits, pretty standard fare but well done, the spicy bitter finish is quite nice. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium carbonation, goes down easy, not too bad. I'd drink this one again.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pale and hazed dim golden body. Big frothy white head that has great retention. Nose is fruity, estery, yeasty, doughy and spicy. What a nice aroma. Great flavor. This one is done right. The belgian yeast gives the beer some nice fruitiness and doughy yeastiness and a little spice. The hops give the beer a nice quenching and vibrant feel. Citrus with orange and lemon zest. Nice clean bitterness. Medium bodied and agressively carbonated, though not gaseous in the least. This would have to be my favorite Belgian IPA so far. This is outstanding.

2.27/5  rDev -43.1%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a very clear, urine yellow color. A foamy, bright white head dissipated at a moderate pace leaving a lot of sticky lacing.

A nice, spicy yeast aroma greets the nose. Sadly, for me anyway, this the rare beer that smells better than it tastes. The dominate flavor is an overly sticky, sweet clove flavor.

The body is thinner than even a regular IPA and if it wasn't for that clove taste would be non-existent. I did not find this to be a very drinkable, or enjoyable, beer. I think this kind of a bastard style to begin with, with that said there are better examples of the style, go find them. Stone IPA is among my favorite IPAs and I love Belgian beers so this was a big disappointment for me.

4.23/5  rDev +6%

Was on tap at Hollingshead. Was amazed at the appearance, very clear, surprisingly. Fantastic lacing, a golden color. Great aroma, everything you'd expect out of this style: hops and sweet yeast.

Taste, more hops, good. Not a big Belgian fan, but this really makes it more palate-able having the customary Stone goodness to walk you along the path to something new.

Mouthfeel, very complex, you get bits of honey, grass, sweet, but hops is still at the forefront. F'n yum. Price is ouch. What'd I pay $10 for a pint/imperial pint? Worth it? You know it.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mug.

Appearance: light orange hue with plenty of haze and three fingers of foamy white head. Not a bad looking beer at all!

Smell: flat, musty saison-like aroma with hops smelling like cut grass and earth. There is a bitterness to the aroma, which I find interesting. Not bad, but it's not grabbing me.

Taste: very earthy, funky flavor. Dry grass, wet blanket and a little bitterness are all present, along with a bit of citrusy hops. I'm finding that I'm liking this more the more I drink it. I would guess that this beer is not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nicely-integrated carbonation which yields a pretty creamy mouthfeel. I like it.

Drinkability: pretty tasty and it has some refreshing character. I would have this again.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Dry peppery and can't believe this is 6.9 for an Abv. A lovely example that I would be happy to belly up to again and again. Just so I can pad the would count from one of my favourite chalices for tastings the Schiltz American Abbey series. Nice residual sweetness balanced against aggressive dry hopping all making for a nice brew.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked this up at Tower on Piedmont in Atlanta.

Pours a crystal-clear gold color with a bright white two-finger head. The head shrinks down into a thin layer of bubbles on top, leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light fruits - bananas and pears - with a medicinal and almost spicy hop aroma.

Tastes good. Light fruit flavors are backed up by a good hop bite that ends with a solid bitterness. There's a sweet malt backbone throughout and hints of Belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness with active carbonation that make it go down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. It's by no means the tastiest Belgian IPA I've had, but it's no slouch.

Overall this is a tasty offering from Stone, and one that is worth a shot.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 11/10/12 thanks liamt07 for sending me the bottle

A not quite clear golden yellow with various sized bubbles throughout, tight two finger off white head sits long enough to leave 4 thin rings of lace followed by lots of random patches, sexy looking stuff

S lemon hits me first with some soapy pine and toffee, faint spices with some more citrus fruits and candied pineapple, the yeast profiles Belgian but the hops are American and there's a little something I can't quite place but its fruity and good

T some bitter greens and lime rind, sprite perhaps with very faint banana, earthy weedy notes and there's still fruit I can't place

M a nice bitter bite with a little grit, well concealed booze and a big citrus finish, good carbonation and slick after the fact for a short time

O this ones going to bug me because there's a fruity aspect I can't quite place but its positive. If anything it could use more Belgian yeast to get it more on line with the style but I liked it no matter how its labeled

I feel like I'm being hard on this one even though it gets a high score, not quite 4.25 in many areas maybe I should start complaining that we need a .10 increment on the site

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a nice dark-golden color with a two finger head into my glass. Looks about right.

Aroma is full of grassy hops and spice in the nose. A hint of grapefruit peeks out. Very decent for the hops part.

Taste is full of floral hops with a pronounced spice bite upfront. Elements of a west coast IPA and belgian IPA are abound but the hops dominate as with most of the Stone lineup that I've had. The malt shows through only a bit.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hops and spice and malt. Not bad. Alcohol is well hidden, though it's not that high anyway.

Not bad at all. I like this example of the style. It has a definite Stone feel to it. My only problem is that Belgian part of this beer seems lost. Regardless, you cannot go wrong with giving this a shot.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought the first bottle I saw in OH, $6.99 at Whole Foods. The beer is yellow as corn but clear as water, thick white foamy head that laces dry onto the glass. The smell is a near-perfect coupling of west coast hops with Belgian yeast, the citrus from the hops and the esters from the yeast. The taste is likewise representative of both styles, much better suited to my tastes than the Belgian IPA's I've tried in the past (Urthel Hop-It, Chouffe tripel IPA, etc). Lots of grapefruit with spiciness and cloves, very tasty. A real winner from Stone.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.