Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,084 | Ratings: 3,339
4.03/5  rDev +1%

Stone has cloned its IPA and raised it in a different culture. How will this differ from their standard IPA? On to the beer:

No cloudiness to this one....it looks like its older sibling. A darker orange haze, tilting towards golden in the glass, with a thick and sticky head on top. Great lacing. Smells...hoppy. It's a different kind of hoppiness flavor. Grapefruit and lemon pepper are more pronounced. A bit of horse blanket sits underneath....ah, there's the Belgian influence.

In the flavor, the clean hoppiness found with the regular IPA is cut in intensity. The yeast really takes over the beer. You will taste some pine and assorted citrus, but that horse blanket, lemon, aspirin, and cloth notes sure tastes Belgian. The mouthfeel is medium-light, not heavy, and goes off the palate easy without much carbonation.

Cool experiment, and it's successful. This certainly proves that beer raised in different culture can indeed be influenced.

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

On-tap

Cali came to me with a pale golden color with some bronze, a nice sturdy white head about 1/2 a inch stayed throughout. Excellent window covering lacing.

The smell was a mix of stone IPA with some belgian yeast, alot in fact. This produced some breadyness while a backing of hops gave some grapefruit and other citrus. Doesent smell overly hoppy and I quite like that, tone it down some.

The taste starts out with some belgian yeast up front with some grapefruit following from a generous hopping. Bread and some bubblegum notes. The finish is a slight bitterness with some spices rounding things out. After some more sips the some grain showed itself. I like this because it's less hoppy for a company that always does it big.

The feel was on the lighter end of medium with a smooth and very slightly bitter feel. A good amount of carb. I'm surprised this held up so well in the keg as im assuming it's not super fresh. Im thinking the hops may have fallen off a bit in storage but as it is this was great to drink. The alcohol is low as hell to which improves things.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a frothy, pale, just barely off-white, initially three finger thick head. The beer is absolutely, brilliantly clear and is a red-tinged, deep copper color that shows a bright copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma is clearly a mix of hops and yeast character; as I pour this brew aromas of spicy clove and fruity hops intermingle. Interesting, yeast derived fruity esters mix with the hops and it can be hard to figure out where one starts and the other ends. Aromas reminiscent of lychee, tropical fruit, peach, tart grapes are each noticeable but seem to fade pretty quickly once my nose gets used to them. The finish has a dusting of biscuit like malt, some crushed cracker aromatics and a lingering, sweet-tart tropical fruit note.

This is served lightly chilled (approximately 58°F / 14.5°C). There is a nice, biting bitterness that becomes more the dominant note as this moves to the lingering finish. Tropical fruit flavors play a big role in the flavor with a mix of lychee, kumquat, pineapple, peach and mango flavors. Yeast derived spiciness that really leans towards clove pairs with the hop bitterness in the finish and really tends to linger on the palate after each sip. A soft, toasty, biscuit-like malt character contributes to the finish as well and serves as a very light foil to the much more dominant hop character. This is nice and light bodied, which is perfect for a dangerously quaffable IPA; there is just enough malt to accentuate the fruit character with a light sweetness and to contribute a touch of body that keeps this from being anywhere near water.

The yeast character really seems to accentuate the fruitiness that is in the hop character. The standard IPA never had such a vibrant fruitiness to it. This in its freshness reminds me a lot of the IPA from stone that I had years ago. I just can't seem to find a fresh bottle of it that lives up to my early memories of drinking this on tap, this particular beer does have that fresh hoppiness that I miss in the Stone IPA though. This is quite enjoyable and sadly makes me think I need to down grade my rating for Stone IPA as I just can't seem to get that juicy, vibrant hop character in it anymore. I am clearly a sucker for this beer; this really hits the spot and I like how the secondary, but clearly noticeable, Belgian Yeast character interacts with the hop component here.

Purchase: 22oz Bottle from South Bay Drugs, Imperial Beach CA

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear, gold color. 3/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, hint of pale malt, slight yeast, citrus hops, piney hops, slight alcohol, and slight spice. Fits the style of a Belgian IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pine hops, slight citrus hops, hint of alcohol, slight alcohol, strong yeast, and slight spice. Overall, good aroma, blend, appearance, complexity, and body.

22oz. Bomber

Poured into my Stone Ruination pint glass a nice clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little white fizzy head, with some small islands and sticky lacing left around. The nose is hoppy, malty, yeasty, with some spice, citrus. The taste is hoppy, malty/yeasty, a little citrus slips in, and some spice. Medium body, the finish is slightly bitter. Drinkable, you can definitely taste the beligian influence on this brew.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

Stone "Cali-Belgie:" IPA

A Poured from the 22 oz bomber into a snifter. Light Bronze in color with some sticky lacing on the side.

S. Lightly fruity, reminds me of canned Pear..Wet hops. Floral boquet. Standard for an IPA but this leads me to believe this beer has alot to offer.

T. Piney, resinous hops greet the palate, with a light fruity malt backing. Grapefruit pairs well with Green Apple and the bitter American hops. Belgian yeast funk in the finish. Rarely, if ever, do I meet an IPA with such complexity.

M. Sharp and biting to the palate initially, this beer finishes with an appetizingly dry, chalky finish.

D. A rare treat that is as delicious as it is rare in these parts. One of the best IPAs Ive come accross. Exceptional.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

22 picked up over the weekend at John's Marketplace in Portland for $5.99... really.. just charge $6... poured into my waiting shaped SA glass...

2 finger head is bubbly and lasts forever.. great lacing atop a slightly hazy honey straw brew.

Nose is a very nice mash-up of Belgian yeastiness and some citric hoppiness.. what little pale malt essence that is there is completely drowned out (in a good way) by all the above fantastic aromas.

The flavor is "pretty much" everything I had hoped it would be.. tons of bubblegum and a citrus zest.. spicy and fairly phenolic.. as it warms there is a grapefruit and pineapple component that becomes more prevalent.. but the yeastiness is just about perfect.. the body is light side of medium with a nice smooth small bubble carbonation...

I like this brew a bunch.. Brenda had a taste and amazingly she asked if it was "the Green Flash beer that I like". She meant "le freak".. this brew is pretty damn good.. but it does not verge on le freak category..

I am damn happy I have another glass to enjoy... now.... we just need to get this delicacy into boise.

4/4/4.5/4/4.5

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours yellow with a medium, somewhat fizzy white head, fair retention, doesn't have good lacing like I would expect in a Belgian or an IPA.

S: Dominated by citrus, get a lot of tangerine, citrus, pineapple, and an earthy Belgian yeast kick, light pepper.

T: Has a strong grapefruit orange character that the regular Stone IPA has. Belgian character is there with bitter spice, pepper, and definite bubblegum esters at the end.

M: Medium body with a mild prickly carbonation on the tongue. Too astringent at times.

D: An interesting beer, but in the end I wasn't a huge fan of it, I didn't think the flavours blended well enough together and the hop character got unappetizingly bitter after a while. A nice experiment, I could see myself trying it again, but wont be a go to beer from Stone.

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a Stone gargoyle pint. Pours a medium golden amber with a half finger white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of bready malt and lightly citrus noble hops; proper European influence. Flavor is neutral malt with mild caramel, Belgian yeast and Belgian style noble hops, but half way through the taste, a strong citrus hop flavor develops and this finishes with a more North American traditional grapefruit rind and light citrus bitterness. Medium bodied with good carbonation. An interesting hybrid o styles with a good flavor progression from old world to new. The initial flavor is quite true to Belgian style IPAs, but the finish has a lot more typical Stone citrus hop character. I like both and enjoyed the combination. This brewery really know how to put out a good and interesting IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Belgian IPA, makes me think of a retake on the Old Reese's Peanut butter cups commercial only with beer drinkers involved. "You Got Ruination in my Duvel! You Got Duvel in my Ruination! Sips...GREAT!"

Poured in my Duvel Tulip I have a brilliantly clear copper colored ale with a good off-white to neat tan colored head. Beautiful beer in the glass.

Smell is sweet and herbal with a remarkably spicy aroma supposedly all from yeast and hops. Aroma of apricot, cloves, spice, grapefruit, citrus, orange and pinesap. Fainter woody and melon scents.

The taste starts out sweet and woody with a bone dry aftertaste. There is an earthy flavor here that is hard to place, something like half cork and half mushroom. Decent amount of bitterness present but honestly I would call this a Belgian American Style Pale Ale flavor wise.

Mouthfeel is good and full yet dry.

Pretty drinkable even though flavor is it's weak point. Not that it tastes bad at it is just light dry and refresh, not complex. Pretty much I beer I will try every year it comes out.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

The pour generated a storm of bubbles so thick, as if buttons or marbles were being tossed about the beer, that I was initially concerned the bottle had been infected with something. Fortunately, however, all that carbonation amounted to nothing more than an extra pearly capping of snow white head. The body, although too icy to see through, is exceptionally glossy and luminous; looks like this Belgian IPA inherited the California sunshine.

And the West Coast hoppiness, too! Take your pic of stone or citrus fruits - peach, mango, orange, grapefruit, cherry - they're all there and make their presence known loud and clear. The phenolic and estery nature of the Belgian yeast seems to play right into the hops' hands - it brings forth even more nuanced notes of fruit and its peppery, fragrant spice seems only to accentuate the lively, wildly citric character of the bouquet.

My palate becomes the grandstand for flavour. Like with any IPA that is half-decently made, this beer satiates the tongue with a vibrantly citric acidity as well as a wholesome, biscuity maltiness. Bitter and sweet play separate octaves of the same note, and in perfect harmony. Whether American, Flemish or Wallonian you'd have to agree this is refreshing. (Regardless of cultural differences, I bet all three would share an affection for this beer!)

It might not be unfair to say that if you've tasted Stone's Ruination you've tasted their Cali-Belgique, at least for the most part. It shares enough of the same 'spiked coconut milk, candied pink grapefruit and bubble-gum wrapped tangerine wedges' kind of fresh, fruity, floral character that I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be just the Ruination fermented with a Belgian yeast strain (note: it's actually just their regular IPA).

Before opening this bottle I would have told you that I'd rather have a hoppy Belgian ale than an American IPA brewed with Belgian yeast. Now I'm not so sure. Although I find the Belgian-brewed, American-inspired ales to be more consistent and quaffable than their American-brewed, Belgian-inspired counterparts, Stone is the second California brewery (Green Flash being the other) whose challenged me to rethink that stance.

The name for this beer, Cali-Belgique, is hyphenated and so is everything else about it, too. It has the sunny radiance of California's southern beaches but the warming, wholesome heartiness of Belgium's antiquated, candlelit inns. Bitterness and sweetness dual to a draw. A beer with this kind of intense, satiating flavouring but infinite, perpetual drinkability doubles as both the connoisseur's crown and the layman's quaff.

22 oz bomber from South Bay Drugs. Pours a fairly standard golden orange, but with a nice head thatsticks around as a cap. It's amazing what the adddition of a different yeast will do. I like Stone IPA quite a bit, and I like this as well, but the addition of Belgian yeast to the IPA has yielded an entirely different beer. This beer smells and tastes bready and meaty- almost of bacon. There are the standard Stone IPA hop flavors of citrus and lingering piney bitterness, but this bacony breadiness with some tangy notes overlies that. Unusual, and takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Out of firkin during the Stone event at the Drafting Room.

The beer pours a hazy yellow gold color with surprising good head retention and lacing. The nose was attractive and spice filled, showing light clove, honey, sandlewood and pepper. The flavor profile generally replicated the nose in this well hopped, very dry Belgian IPA. The beer comes across as a bit lean and light on the palate, though it certainly doesn't lack for flavor. Mouthfeel was fairly soft and full (from the cask conditioning one assumes), with a long, dry, bitterly hoppy finish. Drinkability was pretty good, and I have to say I was surprised by how good this beer was on cask. I think I probably enjoyed this more out of the firkin than I did on draft or out of the bottle. Impressive.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mug.

Appearance: light orange hue with plenty of haze and three fingers of foamy white head. Not a bad looking beer at all!

Smell: flat, musty saison-like aroma with hops smelling like cut grass and earth. There is a bitterness to the aroma, which I find interesting. Not bad, but it's not grabbing me.

Taste: very earthy, funky flavor. Dry grass, wet blanket and a little bitterness are all present, along with a bit of citrusy hops. I'm finding that I'm liking this more the more I drink it. I would guess that this beer is not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nicely-integrated carbonation which yields a pretty creamy mouthfeel. I like it.

Drinkability: pretty tasty and it has some refreshing character. I would have this again.

2/24/2011

On tap at Stone.

A: Yellow gold with a two finger creamy white head that lasts for a minute and leaves a little lacing when it recedes.

S: Granny Smith apple, bubble gum, and orange. I get a little coriander in there as well. It gets a little spicier as it warms up, and I get a dash of white pepper and perhaps some clove. Fruity and quite aromatic.

T: Orange flesh, a little grapefruit, Granny Smith apple, pear, and a little coriander. Moderate bitterness with no real malt flavor. Alcohol is hidden. The finish is smooth and fruity. I get a little bubble gum and there's a dash of spicy phenols on the back end.

M: Upper light in body with an upper moderate level of carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and sticky.

Overall: As much as I hate the idea of the Belgian IPA (and I really don't like most Belgian IPA's that I try), this is a pretty good beer. It's not one I drink often because there are invariably better beers on the menu, but this is not bad at all.

3.86/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a deep golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of yeast, a bit fruity. Taste is citrus, yeast, hoppy but not bitter, more fruits, complex and tasty, well done. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this beer is worth a try.

650ml bottle carefully carried back to Australia from San Francisco.

Nice bright golden colour, almost tinged with organge. Head is a pillowy, marshmallow head of white foam. Lacing is great. Slight haze in the body. Looks great.

Nose is phenomenal. A wonderful bouquet of pineapple mixed with Belgian yeast, the sweet semi-savoury character of a good Belgian pale. Not a huge amount of the sharper more peppery hops, but the tropical fruit characters are nice.

Wow, the hops are certainly there on the palate, a robust bitterness all through, a full bodied sharpness, with an underlying hint of salt. There's something very odd lingering in the back of everything though; the sweet richness of a Belgian. Mouthfeel is quite light, but still slick. Nice.

This beer certainly lived up to my expectations for the style. A very interesting hybrid, and one that I'll enjoy again for sure.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Poured a beautiful golden straw color with a bubbly, frothy head that quickly left leaving intricate lacings.

S - Aromas of pineapple, apple and lemon are couple with a nice hop presence.

T - The fruit nuances wash over the palate first, immediately followed by the spiciness of the Belgian yeast creating a surprising, but greatly appreciated tartness. The finish is balanced with a lemony, piney bite.

M - Nice carbonation, light to medium-bodied.

D - With the light-medium body, "low" ABV, and the Belgian funk Stone's Cail-Belgique is very easy to consume, especially on those hot summer days.

2.59/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a one finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Grapefruit nose. Flavor is grapefruit, malts are in the background, lingering bitter aftertaste that won't go away. Overpriced at $7.99 for a 22oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

From notes:

Pours a clean golden orange color with a thin white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Minimal lacing.

Crisp citrus and floral hop aroma with light golden fruit, pale malt and bubblegum.

Medium bodied with a nice balance of crisp light fruit and bitter/sweet citrus hops. Hints of pale malt and a weird bubblegum flavor make this taste like a hoppy Belgian golden ale. Very weird. Hints of apple, grape and pear blended with sweet citrus peel, pale malt and subtle alcohol sweetness. A bit too bitter to be a Belgian ale and to sweet to be an IPA. Dry finish.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Had on tap at Daily Pint
Poured a very bright orange color with a white head. Smells like citrus and yeast. The taste is a bit more balanced, but still very yeasty with a citrus kick. I thought it was a little tart at the end. Drinkability is low. Just strange but good.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

(Poured in to a tulip glass)
A- This beer has a clear orange hue body with an antique white head with slight yellow hue. The head is thick and bubbly sticking to the glass with each sip. This beer has a tiny gentle carbonation.
S- This beer has fresh full hops right off the bine aroma. There are floral green citrus hops aroma with a soft natural bubble gum note underneath.
T- This beer has a soft pale malt flavor with a hint of brie/cream quality. There is some grapefruit and floral taste with a big dandelion green bite at the finish. There is a light sweetness to the finish that grows as the beer warms.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol.
D- This beer has an amazing aroma like when I'm harvesting hops, the flavor however does not follow through. There isn't much yeasty characteristics or malt support in the flavor. The text on the bottle is impossible to read in the color scheme but I suspect it wasn't improtant to the beer inside.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to tai4ji2x for this bomber.

A: The ale is brilliantly clear, unimpeded by sediment, with a foamy head that laces all around the mouth of the glass. The ale has a brilliant orange glow.

S: The combination of a tripel's sweetness and an IPA's bitterness is amazing. Sweet fortified candi sugar mixes with sharp citrus hops. Belgian yeast adds a berry fruit presence. Quite nice.

T: The first sip reveals more Belgian yeast intricacies. Berries and pepper manage to make their way through the dryness. The hop profile is intense, a mango and peach bitter sweetness that has strong floral undertones. The interaction of the two flavors is bitter, a dirty combination that works.

M: Like most Belgian IPAs, this beer runs the gamut from sweet to bitter and back again. The dull bitterness that is left on the palate is a vivid reminder of the wild ride.

D: I like this much more than the Stone Collaboration Ale. The abv is lower and less boozy and the flavor profile is very intriguing.

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

More Belgian than IPA, most of the facets of this brew lean towards Belgium. Starts with a funky, yeasty aroma, lightly hazy golden body and small, thin silky head. Taste brings on the yeast again, but the Stone hops come in to bite at the end. Finish reminds me of some French cheese. Interesting!

3.67/5  rDev -8%

From bomber to nonic pint glass

A: Pale golden sunset in color. Massive 3+ finger head on a reasonable pour. Sticky lacing consumed the top of my glass as the head fell.

S: The highlight of this beer. Melted butter and caramel - the moment I pop the cap it hits my nose like a sack full of half dollars.

T: Not your Daddy's IPA. Pork belly and liquid smoke on the forepalate. The malt makes an appearance too, though apparently the hops didn't get invited. It is quite apparent that this is a Belgian style brew, as the yeast used changes the profile of this one completely (the bottle states this is the Stone IPA, brewed with a special Belgian strain).

M: Like most of Stone's brews, it's the perfect level of carbonation for the style. It's creamy and luxurious, yet not so heavy as to be offputting.

O: I like that Stone has done something different here. I can say with sincereity that I prefer their standard IPA, though I'm certainly glad I picked this up. I don't know if I'll return to this one.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing Co.