Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,030 | Hads: 3,069
4.56/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expected, a rather light amber. One and a half finger head that recedes steadily into a nice ring of lacing.

Smell: Fantastic aroma with a great amount of hops and definitely some belgian smell. Very inviting.

Taste: Excellent. Completely unique in comparison to Stone's standard IPA. Lots of hops in excellent balance with the sweetness of the grains. Really shows some Belgian character.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation with a very smooth finish. Very good body.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. Its original appearance had me going in with lower expectations but then it impressed the rest of the way. This taste was right up my alley and I will be on the lookout for more Belgian IPAs in the future. (744 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4%

A - Bright golden, head dissipated quickly, little lacing

S - Sweet and yeasty

Taste: Tropical fruits, pinapple. A sweet and yeasty IPA very interesting flavor. I'm actually liking it better than I thought.

M - Medium body, nice play of sweetness and hoppiness

D - A tad too sweet for my taste but a very nice beer overall. (328 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

I purchased this bottle skeptical about how well Cali would meld with Belgique, but with a deeply-rooted trust in Stone. The best Belgian ales are powerful and complex yet delicate, a quality American brewers often disregard. Stone, however, can seemingly do it all.

A smell unlike anything I've ever encountered, save a greenhouse, greets me kindheartedly, as if presenting me with a wreath of flowers for my triumph in bringing it home to be released to my senses. It's massively floral, hops blending perfectly with the earthy, fruity, and bubble gum/lemon pound cake sweet yeast aroma. Very suitable for the seasonal warmth and dampness.

The head is modest at first, a finger's worth in a fairly wide snifter. It settles thin and wispy but forms a very fine patch of lacing on the glass. The second (more vigorous) pour produces two fingers, The body is a crystal clear, brilliant golden poppy color, and I was surprised to see it was a filtered beer.

The beer is wet on the palate like morning dew. Earthy, fresh, berry fruit with a touch of lime (think mojitos), blending so well with gentle malt sweetness and again some bubble gum, that it seems the ingredients have aged together for centuries. Alas, being filtered I'm not sure how long you could age it. This is unfortunate as my only real gripe with the flavor is that it's maybe a bit too bitter for that Belgian yeast delicacy. It grows on you though.

Hops and spice coat my mouth, pleasant for me but not for all. Definitely an IPA sharpness to it. Trademark Stone.

Not really a session ale, but not supposed to be. I could see drinking a couple because it's so good, but for most, one will satisfy, if not sit heavy. (1,687 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Color is somewhere between pale amber and gold. Moderate white head, but really good lace.

Very floral and piney in the nose. Fruity and hoppy, but there's something, maybe about the yeast, which is a bit odd.

Taste is almost all hops and yeast. The yeast, agian, adds an odd characteristic. This may be a typical aspect for belgian yeasts, but it just isn't meshing with the rest of the beer. Hops are very citrusy, nice and flowery.

Moutfeel is alright. Drinkable enough, but I might want something else over the course of an evening. (573 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

This one pours out a dark gold/orange color, with very minimal head and little lacing. At first there is a lot of carbonation, but it recedes as quickly as the head.

The smell is interesting. It is clearly a combination of a belgian style ale, with a bit of Stone's pale ale scent. There is a definite clove part, along with some light malt sweetness.

There is a lot of spice and herb in the taste, which was expected given the Belgian yeast. There is a bit of hop bitterness, but it is drowned by the sweetness of the malt and the spices.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, but has a distinct bite at the end, probably from the carbonation.

Very drinkable for a Stone beer. Not a whole lot of flavor or heaviness to weigh you down, and enough carbonation to make you feel refreshed, not groggy. (795 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass.

A: Golden in color with a very thick and fluffy white head. Retention was very good, and thick layers of lacing coating the glass. Left some nice puddles of foam floating on the surface too.

S: Floral and yeasty, clearly Belgian. The faintest note of IPA-like bitterness. I thought I detected an almost bubblegum-like sweetness like you'd expect with a good wheat style. Very pleasant aroma, but almost a little too muddled at times.

T: Sweetly bitter with a very clean finish. Loads of yeast and toasted malt counterbalanced with the citrusy pine notes of the hops. Very nice light alcohol taste.

M: Lighter in body than what I was expecting. Would have preferred something a bit fuller and thicker for something that would have been characteristic of either a Belgian or an IPA.

D: Very easy to drink, and has a little something for everyone. Two almost completely opposite styles that work well together and should be a good starter for someone looking to expand into either IPAs or Tripels. (1,050 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Into a tulip.

Nice nose on this one, a little of the yeasty character creeps out from under the massive juicy hops. I take issue with the Cali-heavy approach, but it definitely doesn't make this a bad beer even if I would be hard-pressed to differentiate this from some of the other IPAs from Stone. Would definitely put this above Raging Bitch, too much wheat in that one for me, and looking forward to see how it compares to the Houblon Chouffe chilling in my fridge. (470 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice orange color with 2 plus finger white fluffy head.

Aroma I get big grapefruit and yeastiness. I primarily get the classic stone IPA aroma with just more yeast spiciness.

Taste is pretty good. Nothing fantastic. It definitely leans more towards a IPA than a saison, but that was to be expected based on the labeling. I get the hop bitterness, grapefruit, and finally a little spice. Not necessarily a pepperiness but more of that yeasty presence.

The concept is fantastic. The tropical fruit and bitterness mixed with the complexity of the yeast and its associated lively carbonation is great if accomplished successfully. However, it didn't completely work here. Its really an IPA dressed up with a different yeast. Its no more carbonated or complex than a standard IPA, it just has a slightly different flavor from their standard. Not bad, but not great. It gets a 83/100 from me. (893 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

A- this beer is like a slightly darker budweiser in color. But to me what gives it extra points is the head. It's foamy a sticks all over my pint glass. Very tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass at all times.

S- when I smell this beer I smell apples and some lemon and banana, with some hints of some hop. Defiantly strikes me as a belgium beer, and defiantly smells likes it will be good.

T- the taste if this beer is dry, and has a firm Belgium flavor. I definatky taste apple lemon and bitter hopsand little bit of spice. The hops come in later and leave a lingering bitterness in my mouth. I really like hoppy beers and especially stone, but this one is not my favorite tasting. However it is still a solid beer anqd great interpretation, and anyone who is looking for something different should give it a try.

It's a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it while it was out. just not my specific taste. (921 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to tulip glass.

A: Hazy, full bodied orange. 1/2 in. of white head.
S: Pine, fresh grass clippings, lemongrass, orange peel, grainy malts, banana.
T: Piney, with bright citrus notes of orange and grapefruit at the front of the tongue. Towards the end the bubblegum yeast flavor takes over, with a bit of grapefruit rind bitterness that sticks around.
M: Medium.
O: Good Belgian IPA. I'm coming around to this style. (442 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a bomber to a tulip glass.

Poured surprisingly hazy. Medium gold color with a white head that didn't last we well as expected.

Surprised to be hit with a bready malt aroma up front. Quickly followed by grapefruit citrus hop aroma, and low levels of spice - a bit of clove an vanilla. Very interesting blend of aromas.

Flavor is complex. Low levels of malty sweetness, with a strong citrus hop flavor. Belgian yeast character is evident in spicy, peppery flavors all through the mouthful. Bitterness builds to that tongue-stripping finish I love about Stone beers. Bitterness and malt become more balanced as the beer warms.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. I would like a higher carb level on this beer. Low alcohol warmth. Bitter, dry finish.

Overall a very nice interpretation of the Belgian IPA. I somewhat prefer Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild over this one. (887 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured this into my new goblet and it formed a nice head that slowly died to a small dusting of foam which stuck around. Decent lacing and your typical Belgium golden color to the beer. Instant Belgium candi sweetness hits then the hops right after it. Floral and citrusy with a slight bitterness. As it warms up the sweetness backs off and the hops come to the forefront with more of a bittering hop presence.

~Jonathan Passow (428 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

It has a aroma of a typical Belgium ale, it has the scent of banana and bubble gum. The taste has a good flowerily hop taste and luckily, the Belgium yeast does not completely carry through into the taste. Overall, a cool variation on the American IPA. (252 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

With the only difference being the yeast supposedly, there are some major differences. Unlike the Stone IPA (IPA) being a hazy gold color, the Cali-Belgique (CB) is crystal clear. The smell is also drastically different, the aroma is overwhelmed by spicy, belgian yeast aromas with only hints of the pine and citrus. The taste reflects this exactly, tastes like the IPA but overwhelmed by the flavors created by the Belgian Yeast. Overall an ok beer, but I definitely prefer the regular stone IPA. I feel the Belgian yeast hinders the flavor instead of improving it. Still an ok brew though, worth trying out. Especially if your into Belgian style beers. (654 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Dry peppery and can't believe this is 6.9 for an Abv. A lovely example that I would be happy to belly up to again and again. Just so I can pad the would count from one of my favourite chalices for tastings the Schiltz American Abbey series. Nice residual sweetness balanced against aggressive dry hopping all making for a nice brew. (332 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle etching says enjoy by 3/24/11. Pours a very clear and bright golden/banana yellow with two fingers of frothy foam and good carbonation. Great lacing! The nose is rich and complex. A well balanced malt strikes first with classic Belgian ale notes of coriander and banana but there is an extra crisp element to it. It doesn't come across like a classic IPA would but I can definitely detect an element of hoppiness to go along with it. Medium bodied. Coats the entire palate but not in a heavy manner. Carbonation seems a bit low. The palate is very interesting. It comes across as more half Belgian golden ale and half IPA than does the nose. The hops stay with you the entire way but don't dominate at all. They give only a very mild resiny quality but manage to be bright and crisp without being overwhelmingly bitter. You still get enough coriander and malty sweetness to remind you of the Belgian influence. The finish is fairly clean and smooth. Very drinkable. This is a neat beer. Unique but not overly impressive. I'm not disappointed but I was expecting a bit more. (1,120 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: A clear golden burgundy, when looking at my fingers through the glass they appear a shade of amber. About a finger of head with little lacing.

Smell: Citrusy, and hoppy, very fresh and springy smell. I wish my laundry smelled this good.

Taste: The hops, barley and yeast in this brew mix together for a fine Grapefruit taste that does not disappoint.

Mouthfeel: Kind of light but creamy at the same time, it's a fine feeling brew, not quite good but fine.

Drinkability: Very nice, I wish Stone would produce this in a sixer as I could go for a few more. (573 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

A - Crystal clear, gold in color. Slight head dissipates very quickly to a slight swirl which hangs on indefinately clinging to the side of the glass.

S -Bubble gum and fruity esters collide with a nice floral and resinous hop aroma. The nose is quite interesting though I am not sure how I feel about it.

T - Classic belgian yeast flavors of bubble gum and cloves combined with resiny, citrusy hops make this one of the more interesting beers I have had in a while. It all fits together quite nicely, bringing complexity not often seen in IPA offerings.

M - Medium body held up by a healthy dose of carbonation.

D - Very delicious though I was unsure at first how it would grow on me. Would definately reccommend though probably wouldn't drink it on a regular basis. (774 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%

Found this baby in my cellar, I can't remember when I bought it, maybe a year ago. So maybe the hops mellow out.

Very nice straw color, lots of head and lacing, really nice appearance overall.

Smell a bit on the lemony side with some nice hops.

Taste, a bit mellow than I would have thought but that was probably due to age. Some what heavy on the hops, the belgium yeast was a little present but not in your face.

Overall, I enjoyed this and next time will not wait a year to drink it. (492 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at the local Total Wine in Tampa, $5.49 for the big bottle. Said to be Stone's flagship IPA, but with Belgian yeast. Pours an opaque yellow-amber. Right off the bat, the nose comes through with bright pineapple rind, white sour grape skin, typical Belgian banana, and a little funk. Taste is super clean and sweet, but hoppy, with more grape/winey notes accompanied by hints of apple vinegar. Wow that's really good. I usually stick to the more traditional IPAs, but when I saw STONE on the bottle, I had to try! Not disappointed at all. Very drinkable. Probably the best "Belgian IPA" I've had. 4.5/5

What she said: "Wow! Very smooth. No aftertaste, which is my main complaint of most beers." 8/10 (710 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Cloudy yellow-orange color with white head. Nice lacing. Sweet, sweet pale malt aroma, with a citrusy hop presence, orange peel. Palate is filled with malt, very very sweet, perhaps too sweet. Citrusy hops really come out in the finish. Bitter and dry. This beer for me is best described as a beer that starts like a triple and ends like an IPA. This beer seems to have two distinct phases. I would like to feel as though everything blended together for a more consistently balanced taste throughout. Contrary to other reviews, I did not think this was closer to the IPA end of the spectrum. I could have used some more hops. The beer is a bit too sweet upfront. (662 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Pours a nice golden color with a 2" white head and good lacing. It definitely smells like a Belgian, floral and hoppy. Wow! Tastes like hops and more hops fading to a pleasant grapefruit tang. This is a nice beer for a warm day. Very refreshing. (245 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

When poured into a glass, this beer settles into a hazy body with a rusty hue. The top is accented by specks of white head.

Aromas erupt with scents of pepper. Some hints of candy sugar add character.

Taste slowly moves in: it is a strong, dry mouth-feel but the flavors of dried figs and currants are what define this beer. Hops add some of the peppery spice to back up the sweetness.

Clean, well balanced characteristics make this hybrid a nice drink: complex yet easy. (475 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bomb, into a chilled pint glass.

The pour was good, an oranges gold. A freshly oiled oak cabinet look. About 3/4-1 inch head sat ontop for a good while leaving a nice film.

A semi spicy aroma. This blends with a little bit of hop and oak ish smells. All of which a little faint.

Finding a surprising spice in the flavor as well. Maybe white pepper, there is a little lemon, and some green on the back of the pallet. A bitter fresh hop.

There wa a little more texture than I originally saw from the first pour. But when re-filling my glass I saw the visible viscosity that it possesses. A little heavier than I'd like.

I like it, just not lovin it. But keep up the good work stone.
$4.99 bottle (706 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -44.1%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot. (1,954 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.