Stone Cali-Belgique IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPAStone Cali-Belgique IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.
Reviews: 1,050 | Hads: 3,173
3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Into a tulip.

Nice nose on this one, a little of the yeasty character creeps out from under the massive juicy hops. I take issue with the Cali-heavy approach, but it definitely doesn't make this a bad beer even if I would be hard-pressed to differentiate this from some of the other IPAs from Stone. Would definitely put this above Raging Bitch, too much wheat in that one for me, and looking forward to see how it compares to the Houblon Chouffe chilling in my fridge.

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bomber to a tulip glass.

Poured surprisingly hazy. Medium gold color with a white head that didn't last we well as expected.

Surprised to be hit with a bready malt aroma up front. Quickly followed by grapefruit citrus hop aroma, and low levels of spice - a bit of clove an vanilla. Very interesting blend of aromas.

Flavor is complex. Low levels of malty sweetness, with a strong citrus hop flavor. Belgian yeast character is evident in spicy, peppery flavors all through the mouthful. Bitterness builds to that tongue-stripping finish I love about Stone beers. Bitterness and malt become more balanced as the beer warms.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. I would like a higher carb level on this beer. Low alcohol warmth. Bitter, dry finish.

Overall a very nice interpretation of the Belgian IPA. I somewhat prefer Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild over this one.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

A- this beer is like a slightly darker budweiser in color. But to me what gives it extra points is the head. It's foamy a sticks all over my pint glass. Very tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass at all times.

S- when I smell this beer I smell apples and some lemon and banana, with some hints of some hop. Defiantly strikes me as a belgium beer, and defiantly smells likes it will be good.

T- the taste if this beer is dry, and has a firm Belgium flavor. I definatky taste apple lemon and bitter hopsand little bit of spice. The hops come in later and leave a lingering bitterness in my mouth. I really like hoppy beers and especially stone, but this one is not my favorite tasting. However it is still a solid beer anqd great interpretation, and anyone who is looking for something different should give it a try.

It's a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it while it was out. just not my specific taste.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Poured this into my new goblet and it formed a nice head that slowly died to a small dusting of foam which stuck around. Decent lacing and your typical Belgium golden color to the beer. Instant Belgium candi sweetness hits then the hops right after it. Floral and citrusy with a slight bitterness. As it warms up the sweetness backs off and the hops come to the forefront with more of a bittering hop presence.

~Jonathan Passow

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

It has a aroma of a typical Belgium ale, it has the scent of banana and bubble gum. The taste has a good flowerily hop taste and luckily, the Belgium yeast does not completely carry through into the taste. Overall, a cool variation on the American IPA.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Found this baby in my cellar, I can't remember when I bought it, maybe a year ago. So maybe the hops mellow out.

Very nice straw color, lots of head and lacing, really nice appearance overall.

Smell a bit on the lemony side with some nice hops.

Taste, a bit mellow than I would have thought but that was probably due to age. Some what heavy on the hops, the belgium yeast was a little present but not in your face.

Overall, I enjoyed this and next time will not wait a year to drink it.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

With the only difference being the yeast supposedly, there are some major differences. Unlike the Stone IPA (IPA) being a hazy gold color, the Cali-Belgique (CB) is crystal clear. The smell is also drastically different, the aroma is overwhelmed by spicy, belgian yeast aromas with only hints of the pine and citrus. The taste reflects this exactly, tastes like the IPA but overwhelmed by the flavors created by the Belgian Yeast. Overall an ok beer, but I definitely prefer the regular stone IPA. I feel the Belgian yeast hinders the flavor instead of improving it. Still an ok brew though, worth trying out. Especially if your into Belgian style beers.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Dry peppery and can't believe this is 6.9 for an Abv. A lovely example that I would be happy to belly up to again and again. Just so I can pad the would count from one of my favourite chalices for tastings the Schiltz American Abbey series. Nice residual sweetness balanced against aggressive dry hopping all making for a nice brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle etching says enjoy by 3/24/11. Pours a very clear and bright golden/banana yellow with two fingers of frothy foam and good carbonation. Great lacing! The nose is rich and complex. A well balanced malt strikes first with classic Belgian ale notes of coriander and banana but there is an extra crisp element to it. It doesn't come across like a classic IPA would but I can definitely detect an element of hoppiness to go along with it. Medium bodied. Coats the entire palate but not in a heavy manner. Carbonation seems a bit low. The palate is very interesting. It comes across as more half Belgian golden ale and half IPA than does the nose. The hops stay with you the entire way but don't dominate at all. They give only a very mild resiny quality but manage to be bright and crisp without being overwhelmingly bitter. You still get enough coriander and malty sweetness to remind you of the Belgian influence. The finish is fairly clean and smooth. Very drinkable. This is a neat beer. Unique but not overly impressive. I'm not disappointed but I was expecting a bit more.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: A clear golden burgundy, when looking at my fingers through the glass they appear a shade of amber. About a finger of head with little lacing.

Smell: Citrusy, and hoppy, very fresh and springy smell. I wish my laundry smelled this good.

Taste: The hops, barley and yeast in this brew mix together for a fine Grapefruit taste that does not disappoint.

Mouthfeel: Kind of light but creamy at the same time, it's a fine feeling brew, not quite good but fine.

Drinkability: Very nice, I wish Stone would produce this in a sixer as I could go for a few more.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Crystal clear, gold in color. Slight head dissipates very quickly to a slight swirl which hangs on indefinately clinging to the side of the glass.

S -Bubble gum and fruity esters collide with a nice floral and resinous hop aroma. The nose is quite interesting though I am not sure how I feel about it.

T - Classic belgian yeast flavors of bubble gum and cloves combined with resiny, citrusy hops make this one of the more interesting beers I have had in a while. It all fits together quite nicely, bringing complexity not often seen in IPA offerings.

M - Medium body held up by a healthy dose of carbonation.

D - Very delicious though I was unsure at first how it would grow on me. Would definately reccommend though probably wouldn't drink it on a regular basis.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a 2" white head and good lacing. It definitely smells like a Belgian, floral and hoppy. Wow! Tastes like hops and more hops fading to a pleasant grapefruit tang. This is a nice beer for a warm day. Very refreshing.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Cloudy yellow-orange color with white head. Nice lacing. Sweet, sweet pale malt aroma, with a citrusy hop presence, orange peel. Palate is filled with malt, very very sweet, perhaps too sweet. Citrusy hops really come out in the finish. Bitter and dry. This beer for me is best described as a beer that starts like a triple and ends like an IPA. This beer seems to have two distinct phases. I would like to feel as though everything blended together for a more consistently balanced taste throughout. Contrary to other reviews, I did not think this was closer to the IPA end of the spectrum. I could have used some more hops. The beer is a bit too sweet upfront.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

When poured into a glass, this beer settles into a hazy body with a rusty hue. The top is accented by specks of white head.

Aromas erupt with scents of pepper. Some hints of candy sugar add character.

Taste slowly moves in: it is a strong, dry mouth-feel but the flavors of dried figs and currants are what define this beer. Hops add some of the peppery spice to back up the sweetness.

Clean, well balanced characteristics make this hybrid a nice drink: complex yet easy.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

22 oz bomb, into a chilled pint glass.

The pour was good, an oranges gold. A freshly oiled oak cabinet look. About 3/4-1 inch head sat ontop for a good while leaving a nice film.

A semi spicy aroma. This blends with a little bit of hop and oak ish smells. All of which a little faint.

Finding a surprising spice in the flavor as well. Maybe white pepper, there is a little lemon, and some green on the back of the pallet. A bitter fresh hop.

There wa a little more texture than I originally saw from the first pour. But when re-filling my glass I saw the visible viscosity that it possesses. A little heavier than I'd like.

I like it, just not lovin it. But keep up the good work stone.
$4.99 bottle

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A-Pours a bubbly golden with a finger of white head that quickly fades.

S-Smells of Belgian yeast with a background of hops, citrus and floral notes.

T-Sweet Belgian funky yeast followed by a hoppy bitterness.

M-Smooth medium body, moderate carbonation.

O-Leave it to stone to make the best Belgian IPA. There's a really great balance between Belgian yeast and hoppy bitterness.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Ok. If I didn't like cheeseburgers I wouldn't buy a cheeseburger then rate it. If you don't like Belgium yeast why would you buy a beer made from said yeast then give it a bad review knowing beforehand that you don't like the yeast used in brewing. Seems crazy. With that being said.

This beer is good. It's a sweet ipa with a great mouthfeel. It is not far off from what Stone always does and to be honest, it's worth every penny.

Try it once at least. But for Christs sake don't review cheeseburgers if you don't like meat.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: A rich golden color. 12-15 SRM, perhaps. Poured clear.

Smell: A bright hoppy nose.

Taste: This is where the ale shines. The Cali-Belgique features a nice balance of a sharp hoppiness and a belgian spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth but with sharp initial hops

Drinkability: This is my first try at a California IPA/Belgian hybrid. And I liked it! I really enjoyed the belgain influence on the IPA-ness. You get some really nice hop notes but it's not as heavy handed as a lot of IPA's I've tried. I don't know what the availability of this beer is but if you have a chance, it's definitely worth a pint. Or two.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Oakedcanuck for the extra on our last trade.

Great example of a belgian style IPA. Extremely balanced malt/hop mix with a nice amount of belgian spicy yeast coming through. Shared with two other guys but left me wanting more.

Very good beer.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pretty gold and looks very much like Stone IPA. An inch of head and nice lacing. I get mango and bright citrus and pine on the nose. Taste is spectacularly bright and sticky, as I expected. Slightly sweet on the front with notes of pineapple, mango and juniper. As it warms, the maltiness comes out. Effervescence is great and the finish is dry. Very drinkable. A lot like Stone's regular IPA but a bit more fruity. Delicious and very drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

It's an interesting tasting. Initially I thought I would really dig this but as I got into it, it wasn't as impressive as expected. The appearance is a beautiful golden; the smell is a sweet malty, yeasty mix. The taste is hoppy with a fruitty malty mix. Didn't quite get the wit taste that I've heard about but the IPA definitely stood out. At the middle and end of tasting it was kinda strange. I could drink this again but will not go out of the way for it.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 9/6/15.

L -- Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head that sticks around for a long time and clings to the side, leaving a little lace behind.

S -- Yeasty and a little spicy. Hoppy to a lesser degree, mostly in the form of a light pine scent.

T -- Yeast and hops wrestle together for attention, with the yeast winning out at first. The hops add light citrus, floral flavors to it. The yeast leaves a spicy feel on the tongue in the aftertaste. Letting it warm on the tongue, I get more grapefruit rind and pine. Nearly room temp and banana becomes more prominent.

F -- Crisp, dry, bitter. Light-to-medium body. Reminds of the feel from some of the better Belgian tripels (not the same, but to me, similar).

O -- At first I was a bit confounded, trying to make this into an IPA or Belgian beer in my head. When I gave up making it one or the other, and let it be, it started to grow on me quickly. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. The flavors seem to work well together, blending into something more than the parts. My favorite sips were the ones that came in piney and ended up yeThe Belgian yeast lends a lot to the scent/flavor/feel and is a good step away from hop bombs or malty marauders. If you have a friend who loves IPAs but was never sold on Belgians, this could be a good transition beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Not going into full review mode as I've had this beer dozens of times....perhaps that is an injustice to the beer, but so it goes.

Accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do: combine the styles of a Belgian and West Coast IPA. Hop profile is distinct on the front and back end while maintaining a palpable mouthfeel and overall flavor profile. Hides the alcohol extremely well; one of the more drinkable IPAs in my opinion. It seems that this beer led Stone in the direction of brewing techniques outside the US (Saison du Buff and their 14th Anniversary) not to mention their prospective brewing collaboration with a Belgian brewery. While the beers that followed were met with much more mixed reviews (I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed the 14th Anniversary), it is safe to say that this brew is approachable for all types of BAs.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing Co.