Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,020 | Hads: 3,024
3.89/5  rDev -3%

Golden and fizzy.

You get the Belgian nose at first, but when you dig deeper, you can find some earthy hops. More grassy than citrusy, but they're there.

Take Stone IPA, take all the bite away, and you get Stone Cali-Belgique. Belgian yeast comes through and gives it a wheat-like finish at times.

I'm not upset I tried it, but I don't think I'd revisit this beer.
I like more over-the-top IPAs, and this certainly isn't it.
It's refined, and I'm sure it would appeal to people who don't enjoy beers with higher ABVs. (522 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

I was very excited to finally try this beer and bought one the day my order came in.

Poured out a perfect crisp golden color with an off-white head that leaves behind perfect lacing down the glass.

There is an amazing aroma on this one. Sweet citrus hops and Belgian influenced sugar aromas. Great bitterness present as well hiding beneath the sweetness.

The first flavors hitting my tongue are those from the delicious west-coast hopping style that are recognizable from the base Stone IPA. Across the middle the Belgian yeast influences really come out to play and dance across the palate. On the back end there is a clinging bitterness that sticks in the back of your throat for awhile. All around very very delicious.

The mouthfeel is exactly what I would want out of a Belgian IPA. Lively, medium bodied and with great carbonation. The drinkability is very high here. Everything is in perfect balance and the ABV is almost at a sessionable level. I would love to drink these all night long. Really an amazing beer. (1,023 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Cali-Belgique pours a nice golden color with a massive rocky head that leaves stubborn lacing all the way down. Smell is of Belgian yeast, and citrusy hops. Taste is of grapefruit and lemony zest with a belgian yeast background. Mouthfeel is fresh and crisp, excellent carbonation. Drinkability is very high, almost too high. I could sip on this masterpiece till the sun rises. Love Stone!!! (391 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle.

A: Poured clear gold/orange with about two fingers for white head, good retention, and lots of lacing an
S: Floral, hops, fruity, citrus, lemon. Much like their IPA but more fruit in my opinion, not just citrus but sweet fruits like peaches or something similar.
T: Peaches, cherries, pineapple, lemon grapefruit, hops, spiciness, and a not-too-much bitterness. This is where this beer feels very different from their IPA, much more sweet and fruity.
M: Very carbonated, smooth.
D: This was pretty interesting, another good one from Stone. I made sure to have their IPA directly afterwards to note the differences, which are definitely in its fruity sweetness. Worth checking out. (694 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a biggun

A: Golden, light tinge of amber. Bubbly and exciting. Nice pillowy head, but low head retention.

S: Yeasty, doughy, citrus, lemongrass.

T: Undeniably Belgique. Lemony, yet sweet. Good deal of complexity going on here. Similar to New Belgium's Belgo IPA, yet more restrained, thought not necessarily more refined. Both are great, and super similar in their hop profile, and yeast profile. Not as ballsy as some Stone offerings, but this one is quaffable, as well as giving you plenty to contemplate.

M: Medium bodied, high carbonation.

O: I re-iterate, similar in spirit to the Belgo IPA from New Belgium, but certainly bares the marks of its brewery. Lacked the hoppy freshness a lot of other Stone brews have. (735 characters)

had it on draft before, but no notes...

poured from a bomber to a ABA pint glass: yields a tiny little head (less than one finger). the body is a cloudy-hazy bright orange color. some pretty decent lacing around the glass.

hops and the belgian yeast notes rule this one. you get some hops (citrus) and then some spiciness, and a aroma that i can only say is belgian yeast. can't put it into words exactly.

not as hoppy flavored like the regular IPA. there are some of the mentioned spicy notes, and some hops flavor as well. the malts are not playing in this one much. a nice dry finish.

i'm guessing i expected the carbonation to be a bit higher on this one, but the lower level does suit it to a degree. a little over medium for body.

for it's strength (which is well masked) this beer is pretty easy to drink provided the spice is up your alley. (853 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Pours a nice dark gold with a bunch of carbonation bubbles. Nice one finger white head with think lacing.

S- Spicy and bitter hops with some citrus fruits. Nice pleasing aroma. Some pines and malts also show up.

T - Good bite from the hops balanced with spices and light fruits. Great balanced taste.

M- Good carbonation makes it a crisp refreshing brew. Light/medium body.

D- Great drinkability. Interesting and easy to drink. Go Stone ! (448 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. My bottle reads "Cali-Belgie"

Pour gets a two finger head that leaves a good amount of really sticky lace. Color is a nice pale yellow and it's virtually clear. Just a bit of carbonation visible.

As soon as I put my nose into it I get a nice funky smell - there's the Belgian yeast. A nice lemony/citrus/zesty smell is just beneath that funk.

Taste is awesome. Hop taste is quite grassy. The hops don't knock you over at all as some other Stone brews do. There's somewhat of a smooth grainy character to it, and the lemony notes from the nose come across mid-sip. Mouthfeel is very smooth and easy drinking.

This is a nice variation of a traditional AIPA. (706 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured from the bomber into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: It pours a weak orange-goldish color with very minimal head. Fairly clear for a Belgian yeast strain, almost translucent, but a slight opaqueness in the thickest part of the glass. Good level of carbonation rising from the nucleation points. Nothing special.

S: Pretty strong nose on this. Spicy hops with Belgian frutiness and a bit of the sour funky banana one would expect, almost a rotten note hiding under there. I like the strength but it's not super enticing.

T: It hits the mouth with this weird light foaminess, almost tasteless at first. Slightly lemony, creamy. After the bitter effervescence clears some very mild breadiness shows up. Ultimately this tastes more like a highly carbonated mineral water with lemon than a beer - it's weak and a big let down. The finish is long and alkaline. Really not good.

M: The high carbonation levels give it good body, it's a nice thickness that outdoes the taste by far. A bit too carbonated, however.

D: I drank my bomber fairly quickly because I kept taking sips to try to describe whatever flavors I could find in this beer. It's really not tasty in the least, and doesn't leave you wanting more.

One of the overall worst beers released by a craft brewery in the past few years. Awful. (1,304 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up at Total Wine on a recent visit. Poured a 22oz bottle into my Stone IPA Stemware.

This one pours a bright golden color with an orange tint. Perfect clarity. My pour brought on a two-finger dense rocky head that subsided to a cap and left a thick ring of lace. One of the best collars of foam I have seen.

The smell is somewhat unimpressive. Herbal hops are very faint. A hint of sweetness from the Belgian yeast. I much prefer the citrusy goodness of the standard IPA.

Taste is fairly decent. Nice herbal hops fill the mouth. A mild tartness and a bit dry. An interesting mix of flavors, but I could use a bit more sweetness to round out the hops.

The mouthfeel is good. A bit effervescent with a nice dry, almost mouth-puckering finish. The dryness enhances the drinkability, however I won't reach for this one all too often. Overall a good beer, but Stone has plenty better. (890 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into my brand new Duvel tulip. Light copper color with a tight head that dissipates but never dissappears.

Smell is excellent and unique. Predominate smell I get is apricot. Also a floral, nectar-like scent that reminds me of honeysuckle.

Taste builds on this by adding some resiny pine and a sharp bitterness that blends nicely with the sharp crisp finish.

I like the carbonation. Along with the dryness in the finish, this is what reminded me of a traditional Belgian trippel.

Very drinkable. (509 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber with an off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap. nice lacing left behind on glass.

S: Pine and fruity yeast that I immediately associated with belgian ales.

T: This is a perfect marriage of the greatest aspects of a California IPA and a Belgian strong ale. Hoppy bitterness up front and a champagne-esque fruitiness on the back end.

M: Medium-heavy. The flavors linger in its viscosity.

D: I could easily throw back one too many of these. (521 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a hazed golden yellow, pure white head with dashes of lace here and there.

Smells really interesting, hops, marzipan, and fig newtons come to mind, sort of a sour-sweet smell.

Tastes like plums, with a solid licorice bitterness as a backdrop. On the lighter side of the flavor spectrum, but still quite tasty.

Nice light carbonation from the Belgian yeast, but has an almost oily, rotten fruit finish.

Overall it's worthy of the Stone name. (451 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Belgian IPA? I say yes!

For the price, this is one of my go to beers at nearly any supermarket that lacks anything interesting or new for me to try. (150 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

I think I'm missing the point on this beer. All I taste is IPA.

The appearance is typical of an IPA, straw colored with moderate head. The aroma is dominated by hops. Hops dominate the flavor, as well, from the initial flavor to the lingiring bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, but nothing special.

Other than the fact that this seems sligtly more attenuated than Stone IPA, I'm not really seeing much of a difference. Not a bad beer, but I'm not getting it. (456 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Medium dark chestnut brown color with a thick layer of white head which quickly subsides to a thin layer

S: There is a dominate aroma of pine and citrus hops which a heavy dose of orange and grapefuit smells. There is also a noticeable influence of the belgian yeast...fruity and spicy with a bit of honey sweetness in the backgroud

T: The hops are again dominate here, with a nice bitterness and citrus flavors. There are also definate flavors from the yeast, an earthy, herbal, spicy combination.

M: Moderately heavy on the palate with a fine carbonation

D: Very enjoyable. The addition of the Belgian yeast provides a nice twist to a typical IPA. Very very tasty brew here. (685 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%

In an attempt to "catch up" on my Beers of 2012 project, I am revisiting some old favorites. The Cali-Belgie from Stone Brewing is one that I've often labeled as my favorite from this West Coast Hop-head brewery. I had never been much of a hop-head myself and frequently found the beers from Stone a little too intense for my preference. I think my tastes have changed pretty drastically over the past few months, so Sara and I are revisiting this interesting little guy.

Stone Cali-Belgie is a twist on one of their old favorites. The brewers take their traditional IPA recipe but substitute a strain of Belgian yeast, giving just a little something 'extra.' The Cali-Belgie pours out a bright golden color with lots of soft, fluffy white foam. Foam is bountiful at first but fades slowly leaving just a small amount of lacing on the side of my Chimay glass.

The aromas of this IPA are far more interesting than I remember! There is definitely some mild hops present but they're much softer style than Stone is usually known for. The hops aromas are dominated by the floral/lightly citrus style hops without being too in-your-face or pungent. There is also a very interesting banana quality to it, very reminiscent of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.

On the palate I'm really surprised by how sweet this "IPA" is! Now don't get me wrong, there is a significant amount of hops on the tongue, but like the nose suspected its a very soft, smooth, and floral hops character. The citrus & banana component is uncanny! It tastes almost as if you were just chewing some Juicy Fruit and took a sip of a Stone IPA, it is absolutely wild!

During the time it took for us to work on this bottle of Cali-Belgie, we also had a few customers inquire about our half-full glasses. One guy was originally going to buy Bud Light but wanted to try something new. After just a couple sips of the Cali-Belgie he was converted. There are few things more satisfying than converting a Bud Light drinker to serious craft beer! (1,997 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Two great tastes that go great together?

Reunited, and it feels so good?

No discernable dating. Bomber from Beverage Mart, NY 66.

Beautiful day-glo cloudy orange. Head lingers, and lingers, and lingers. Great lacing. Scent is a great mix of hops and the spicy/fruity notes you'd expect from a belgian style ale.

Taste, wow. This is a perfect blend of IPA and belgian ale. I have no idea how they did it. The fruit/spice is up front, with the hops kicking in later. Stone, you've done it again. I will definitely be trying this again soon. (542 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Nice orange color with a long lasting head. The head was large and lasted a long ten minutes.

S- When the beer was first poured there was a great deal of hop aroma. With a backing of Belgian yeast. As the beer warmed up Cali-Belgique turned into a yeasty aroma and then hops.

T- Hops nail the tongue bringing a citrus and fruit mouthful. The taste turns into a yeasty profile. The hops and yeast blend well and are balanced. This beer is not super bitter.

M- Medium body with soft carbonation.

D- Overall this is a great beer that is different from all of the other brews Stone puts out. (596 characters)

Poured a clear golden glow in my glass with an impressive 2 finger head. Smell is all about the hops, citrus and floral. I don't really smell the Belgique part of this one but it still smells delicious. The taste is a first for me. Very hop forward then finishes with the the spicy Belgian yeast. I really enjoyed this one because it was not like anything I have had. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with the good carbonation and overall very enjoyable. (449 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Another very grateful gift from DaveCooks. In the fridge for about 6 months. Opened March 09.

A - Pours fluffy 2 finger head, lingering and lacing to start but doesnt hold the way down. Sexy clear golden color. One of the best looking beers of that color i've seen.

S - woah yummy. Flowers. But not typical hoppy, more like sweet garden flower type. Some citrus notes as well.

T - I dont know what to think. Ha. I have had the Green Flash belgian ipa and this one has it's own character...obviously. The finish is very ipa...can feel the drying and hop notes. Starts off sweet and a bit chewy. Quiet nice. I am really enjoying this. Mouthfeel is full and lingering. Again. lovely.

D - Dangerously drinkable. Light enough that it doesnt fill you up and the alcohol is very well disguised.

Had a hard time scoring this one b/c it is so easily enjoyed. Tried to back off the ratings a bit b/c the Le Freak I remember being more impressive on the palate but this is a very strong contender. (992 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

Pours a light golden, very clear, with a thick white head. Leaves good lacing behind.

Aroma is sweet, spicy and bitter. Great hop aroma, but good balance from the yeast, leaving a fruity characteristic that just goes beautifully.

Taste is hop-forward, but again, great influence from the Belgian characteristics of this beer. Nice malty backbone, and spiciness really adds character.

Little bit astringent on the mouthfeel, overall medium with high-average carbonation.

Very interesting beer, similar to a Raging Bitch, but not quite as good in my opinion. (596 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Light clear amber gold color. Pours with a small, maybe quarter inch head that slowly dissipates.

S - Smells of hops along with fruit and citrus.

T - The front taste is a strong hop taste along with some bitterness, followed by fruit flavors especially citrus fruits.

M - Very thin in the mouth, smooth with not a lot of carbonation

D - Pretty good hybrid of the California IPA and a Belgian, definitely a beer a would sip to get all the flavors. But I could see myself drinking more than one of these in a night.

Overall a good beer from stone that represents the two styles well. (593 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great choice if your usual Belgian is letting u down. I prefer this in general because I live in MN & most STONE beers don't let me down. Cheers!!!!!!!! (154 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Clear golden color with an eggshell head...some decent lacing..

S- Citrusy...citrusy...citrusy...faint hops...and even fainter malts...(not bad, but not as complex as I was hoping)

T- As it smells...but more balanced...pretty tasty...

M- Nice, decently balanced...crisp and somewhat dry...

D- A good beer that seems to fall in line with (if not edge out) most of the other, what I would call, 'hybrid beers'...worth a try, but probably won't knock your socks off... (472 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.