Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic AleStone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.60% ABV

The Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale is a Strong Golden Belgian style ale highly hopped with American hops (Ahtanum, Amarillo and Simcoe). The beer pours pale golden with a thick and creamy white head of foam. The aroma is full of depth: nuances of pepper, clove, and banana from the Belgian yeast strain, and the resiny citrus notes from the American hops blend together nicely to provide a complex aromatic character. The taste is spicy, hoppy and fruity, with a very dry and a pleasant bitter end. The bitterness lingers nicely, and provides a refreshing finish that leads you to want to drink more and more of this beer!

(Beer added by: froghop on 08-04-2008)
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Although this is a relatively high-alcohol beer at 8.6%, it was incredibly smooth and drinkable.

Upon pouring, the 08.08.08 gives off a fruity nose with hints of banana. Upon first sip, the brew reveals an inspired mix of flavors.

"It has the complexity and spiciness of the Belgian yeast," Talking Bob said after taking a deep draft. "But with all the hops of a West Coast IPA."

monkeylovebeer, Nov 27, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Absolutely delicious. Hints of pine, clove,honey,pear,and other spices, as well as many citrus notes. Very hoppy for the style, and very spicy. One of the best beers I have tried by Stone yet. I definitely will be purchasing more before December 12th, 2012.

rivertrance420, Sep 06, 2008

Walkerjgt, Jul 16, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

This brew pours a golden yellow with a frothy white head. Minimal lacing around the glass. The aroma is a harmonious blend of pine, citrus, and sweet banana. A hint of the wonders to come.

I'm in love with this beer. The pine hops are out in full force, but the beauty is the way they dance with the cloves and banana of the Belgian brew. As it warms, flavors become more complex, and never too sweet or too alcoholic. Vanilla, pine, citrus, and a subtle earthiness really create a unique and delicious experience.

I bought two, one I've had and another I'm going to cellar until 12-12-12... or for as long as I can hold out.

BBM, Oct 23, 2008
4.61/5  rDev +15.8%

Reviewed 12/12.

This pours a bright golden with a tightly lace foam.

There’s a light, estery aroma—a sweetly honeyed-clove character— with no discernible hop presence. The flavor is lightly sweet and … lychee! Lychee is what I’m smelling and what I’m tasting. It’s incredible, seriously. The beer has this tropical fruit characteristic which is undoubtedly lychee. And for a beer that’s four years old it’s held up exceptionally well. Delicious.

elNopalero, Jan 20, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

A. Bomber split with friend into a pint glass. Fluffy head soapy white. Wonderful cathedral like lacing.

S. Bready and fruity. Hints of banana.

T. Hints of hops. Peppery. Light fruits appear and then recede into some malty notes. This is a very complex beer.

M. Light and crisp. Finishes on the dry side.

D. Highly quaffable, but this is meant for sipping. If it were more readily available, this would be a mainstay.

Final word: This is an amazing beer. Stone is a world class brewery. I need to secure some more to set aside for a while.

Stinkypuss, Sep 19, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

I had heard about this beer being released by another BA and went searching for it on Tuesday to no avail. I bought this from my local Bev Mo and brought home with the bottle still being a tad bit chilled. Upon popping the top, it had a fruity smell to it. At first it reminded me of a cross between a hefeweizen and a belgium beer.
The beer was a golden clear color. It had fruity smells as well as a little hop taste. At close to 9% it was a drinkable beer but defintely will take its toll after drinking itself multiple times or itself with other beers. I was surprised to see them make it a Belgian style beer after lasts years. However I am thinking about buying a few more of these to share with friends. Cheers!

2LBrew, Aug 08, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Picked this up at From the Vine in Columbus in December, 2008. Thanks for holding this one for me, Jaimie!

Had this one with some friends over the weekend as we were enjoying a nice warm spring day in Chicago. Looks nice, bright gold with light orange highlights. Decent head and lace. The nose has mild Belgian character and nice American hoppy notes - citrus and pine. There's a good malt base with some sweetness coming through. Mid palate comes phenols and fruity Belgian esters (apple, pear, peach), complimented by a nice biscuity backdrop. Very crisp, very nice, very tasty. Perfect for a bright, warm spring day!

MacDomer, May 08, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 22oz Bomber into a Pilsner Glass.

Its a mango colored yellow/orange. Nice white head with good retention.

Smell is fruity, delicious, and could be mistaken for candy. I have never smelled a beer like this.

Taste, sweet and slight fruit. Its great but has a lackluster finish. Only minimally takes away from the overall experience.

Mouthfeel, zesty and nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is up there. Its smooth and tasty. I would keep my fridge stocked with this if it was more easily available.

crazeguy, Apr 16, 2009

Wow.

This is one of the most unique tasting beers I have ever had the pleasure of consuming. Distinct Belgium flavor with an explosion of American hops. This beer goes down extremely smooth, with a very clean finish. I dont think waiting for 12/12/12 is an option, this beer is too good now!

oscarsbrewmaster, Sep 30, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

I've probably already had about 8 bottles of this stuff since its release. I need to remember to hang on to one next time I'm shopping, but this stuff is just so damn good.

Brilliant clear, golden body with a rocky, stick gleaming head.

The aroma of this beer actually makes my mouth water. Citrus and pine from the hops. Apricot, pepper, banana, yeast, and spices from the Belgian body. Awesome.

Starts off with the fruits and spices from the aroma followed by a balanced hop bitterness. Medium body with a warming follow up.

I'm not going to consider abv in drinkability because this beer is so highly quaffable due to all the exceptional characteristics that are so thoughtfully stuffed into 22 ounces.

One of the best beers of 2008. Find and enjoy.

kinnaird, Oct 17, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a slightly hazy bubbly pale orange with a thin frothy head that diminishes to a ring but leaves great lacing on the glass. Aroma is west coast hops slightly overpowering the usual Belgian yeast musk. The taste is a very complex blend of Belgian flavors such as sweet fruits, coriander, orange peel dancing nicely with citrus hops, that overpower in the finish. The beer is on the light side of medium with some warming alcohol and decent carbonation. This is certainly a unique and enjoyable beer, one I'd gladly try again.

atsprings, Sep 22, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

It's X-mas Eve and I have a few hours with the house to myself before people swing by, so I figure it's a good time to snack, try a new beer, and finishing wrapping my gifts. I decide on Vertical Epic 08.08.08., purchased a few months back at my favorite beer store.

I started by pouring the beer into a St. Bernardus Chalice. It had little to no carbonation. I'm not sure if it has always been this way or if this is a result of aging. Crystal clear, golden and gorgeous. Looks like a white wine, with a tiny bit of patchy foam on the top.

The smell is pretty wonderful. The sweetness of the malt and citrus notes of the hops have kind of blended together into something that is simultaneously simplistic and complex. It comes together to form something vaguely reminiscent of tangerines. Slightly citrusy and sharp, but sweet and inviting.

The taste matches the smell to a T. Very similar to a white wine. Sweet up front and acidic on the back leading to a nice dry finish.

The mouthfeel is very winelike and surprisingly light. The lack of carbonation and light body really come together to form something wonderful. It is also incredibly easy to drink. I put back the first half of the 22 oz bottle in no time, then realized I had to step it back or I'd be a mess.

I've tried this with a variety of different cheeses and premade spice mixtures I have. It didn't like Stilton at all, but loved a Ras Al-Hanoot rub. I loved the pairing so much I grilled up a chicken breast right there rubbed with the spices, and tossed a small bit of the beer into the pan then served it with pita chips and pine nut hummus. It was delicious.

On the second pour (which finished the bottle), it picked up some of the yeast caked on the bottom which changed the experience entirely. The beer looks more like a Belgian Tripel or a Saison now, with a hazey, orangey color that you can't see through at all. The taste is VERY much like a Tripel, with sweetness upfront, but it is cut off abruptly by the bitter hops. Lots of hops in the nose, more so than the first pour. It also feels a bit thicker and heavier on the palate than before. It's still under-carbonated though, but in a good way, particularly with food (which is still a delicious pairing).

Overall an amazing beer. I've never had a Belgian IPA, but this reminds me a bit of Souther Tier's Unearthly IPA and, to a lesser experience, DFH's 90 minute IPA, with the sweetness and bitterness coming together brilliantly. Most interesting part about it, though, is how different the experience can be, even within the same bottle, depending on where you pour from (top or bottom). First pour was more winelike and more unique. The second pour was more traditional and less exciting, but stronger and more intense thorughout the sweetness and bitterness. Delicious either way.

PangaeaBeerFood, Dec 25, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

So I'm fairly new to true craft beers. Went with a buddy to BevMo on August 8, 2008 to find this little nugget waiting for me. Grabbed a few bombers...

It's now August 12, 2008. I've been patiently aging this puppy for 4 days and it's time.

Pours a pure gold. 24 karat baby. Frothy white head that hung out for a second, not too much lacing. First impression of appearance was good but not stellar.

Then I took a whiff. Smells like hops and dank ass green bud. And pine cones. Maybe a very slight fruity smell. Bananas? Maybe some cloves as well. Extremely pleasing! In my limited ultra-beer experiences, this is one of the best smelling beers I've had.

Then I took a sip. Tastes like hops and dank ass green bud. Truly tasty, me likey. That ever so slight bit of banana and clove may be present...or it may not. Trippin.

Extremely drinkable. I say that now, almost halfway through. Can't even tell that it's a monster 8.5%. I may be singing a different tune by the end. Next time I'll set out two of these because, hey, I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate a good buzz.

I think this beer is an awesome representation. Half the bomber and I'm feeling downright jolly! Call me an uncultured, ill-mannered lout, but this is one of the best beers I have ever had. Love it! And to think I have so many more treats waiting in my cupboard alone. CAN'T WAIT to hit all of the BA top 100.

OK, finished typing the above from my notes while continuing to enjoy this remarkable beast. Got about 3 or 4 ounces left and I feel like a champ. Opinion has only strengthened: this is good shit! And it still smells like dank ass green bud!

PatronWizard, Aug 13, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

BASED ON NOTES: almost a year ago.

I'm a hophead and got some good hop notes from this one. Very happy I had the chance to try this one. I'm giving this one a good 10.

A-Good head, golden in color

S-Citrus pine with good hop aroma.

T-Earthy,but for an IPA it was so damn good. Straw, earth, wheat, hop.

D-It all jumped out, and was very enjoyable.

Serving type: bottle/ 22oz.

FARGO619, Jun 24, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Bomber into a Corsendonk tulip.

Appearance: Billowing white heat with lots of carbonation popping, leaving raucous lacing in rings and clumps on the side. Slightly hazy golden body, good carbonation floating toward the top.

Smell: Lots of fruit and esters and golden Belgian aromas. Apples, cherries, both heavy citrus and piney hops with a more grapefruit backbone. Good description of a highly hopped Belgian, also completely heady and balanced. As it warms, pineapple cream cake creeps in, if there is such a thing, along with mild bubblegum, and white vinous characteristics.

Taste: Big hops and esters with tropical fruit, apples, sour cherries, mild bubblegum, spicy and pungent hops, and beautiful drippingly-so orange and grapefruit, all backed by the Golden Belgian Strong Pale Ale yeast flavors also, with fantastic balance, some banana and bubblegum coming through even more as it warms, and an insanely long and heady finish. I wonder what some years would do, but now it's great fresh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Not cloying, but full enough to coat and let the wonderful flavors through nicely.

Drinkability: I was drinking this while Obama was giving his speech, much earlier than many people thought he would be, and for that I have to give it a perfect score. It was certainly a time to celebrate, and this was a good beer to have by my side while that was going on.

asabreed, Nov 11, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

The color of a (golden) lit candle. Hazy. Starts with a puffy head that takes a while to subside. Tiny bubbles. Really nice.

Dual blast of sweet, citrusy hops, and sweet Belgian spices. Woody, flowery, spicy; a dry, champagne malt. Perfumey and superior.

Strong, citrusy flavor. The spices of the flowery citrus hops mesh beautifully with the spices of the Belgian malt. A dynamite, spicy and citrusy flavor.

Fizzy in the feel like champagne. A splendid, citrusy and spicy beer. Absolutely outstanding.

williamherbert, Nov 12, 2008

ryser2k, Jan 02, 2013

kneary13, Sep 02, 2014

m0unds, Mar 20, 2013

jdmandel, Jan 11, 2012

Stoffel, Jan 07, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

The latest edition of the Stone Vertical Epic series. This one is a departure from the others Epics. The bottle notes say its their variation of a Belgian triple, inspired by the brewmasters 2008 trip to Belgium.

Pours a golden haze with a white head and good carbonation.

Nose is fruity & sweet with banana and pear.

Taste is fruity, yeasty, sweet & spicy with a good touch of alcohol. It has a spicy & nice bitter finish, giving it an overall complex taste. Kind of like a Belgian with a West Coast finish.

This one is well worth it, very drinkable, watch out for the 8.6 ABV!

With 06-08 sampled, I'd say this is best of the Epic series in that range.

FLBeerGuy, Aug 10, 2008

wattershed, Dec 18, 2012

SnatchyMcPants, Aug 30, 2013
Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.