Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic AleStone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.60% ABV

The Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale is a Strong Golden Belgian style ale highly hopped with American hops (Ahtanum, Amarillo and Simcoe). The beer pours pale golden with a thick and creamy white head of foam. The aroma is full of depth: nuances of pepper, clove, and banana from the Belgian yeast strain, and the resiny citrus notes from the American hops blend together nicely to provide a complex aromatic character. The taste is spicy, hoppy and fruity, with a very dry and a pleasant bitter end. The bitterness lingers nicely, and provides a refreshing finish that leads you to want to drink more and more of this beer!

(Beer added by: froghop on 08-04-2008)
4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

A- A very golden color with no head what so ever. There is a slight haze with this beer.

S- I smell hops, clove, anise (very faintly), and the sweet smell of BBQ pork strange?!?

T- There is a strong taste of grapefruit, clove, salmon berry suckles, and yes that BBQ pork taste. It has it complexities.

M- Feels good in the mouth, makes the mouth water for sure.

D- Easy to drink, goes down smooth.

I think Stone is way above the curve with this series. For those who have all the beers in this series they will have a treat for a side by side tasting. It is a great way to release a beer with the same style. I do wish they had a higher ABV so the beer itself could stand the test of time a bit longer. I wonder how long the 2.2.2 will stand in 2012. Another great beer by a great brewing company.

Wetpaperbag, Aug 10, 2008

MordorMongo, Jan 13, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

Slightly hazy golden orange with foamy white head with little retention and lacing. Spicy and citrus aroma. Flavors complimenting the aroma with apple and strong hop presence despite 2 years and a little more balanced. Semi-dry, straw and alcohol finish. Spongy, fizzy mouthfeel with poor bitter linger.

I never had a chance to taste this fresh but I imagine the strong hops may have saved this fresh. Also, it may have been improperly stored at some point since I just found it about 6 months ago in a store. Nonetheless, as is it seems to me this was a prototype for the Cali-Belgique IPA which I love and so I guess that's what it's all about for Stone, finding something good to tweak a bit for regular production.

Bfarr, Aug 09, 2010

TicoCali, Nov 15, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6%

One from my case purchased and cellared since 08. Nice dark golden color. On the cloudy side. Thin wispy head that manages to trail spotty lace. Smell is sugary with some whisky burn in the background. Hops is much more subdued than when this was fresh. Taste is a great mix of sweet up front with bitterness on the finish. It has matured nicely and mellowed considerable since it was fresh. Nothing less than what I would expect from Stone.

beermanbrian, Sep 04, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Drank 12.29.10 after sitting in a low 50's basement for 2 years.

Golden hazy yellow. Straw. Thick frothy head.

Very fruity tart apple aroma with a solid yeasty honey background. A tangy amount of floral/resin hops brings up the rear.

Sips with a nice little tang at first but is very fruity and smooth with a nice Belgian kick in the back. Estery and full of fruity hop notes that are subtle but leave a fruity dryness like a champagne.

Drinks juicy and light with a great bubble tingle.

DrinkingDrake, Jan 03, 2011

KiMiRaiK, Jan 20, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Pours a 2 finger head with niice lacing, blond in color with just a hint of sediment.

S- Big fruity aromas of banana, and fresh hopiness

T- Starts out sweet with notes of banana, musk mellon, and nice fresh hop oil. Finish is mainly dry with a slight residual fruitiness.

M- Nice low carb and great balance.

D- Nice easy and refreshing belgain-pale. Would love to have this gem again.

Greggy, Oct 09, 2008

bluesplit63, Apr 24, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +3%

Vertical 08.08.08 is my first Belgian IPA. Nice. The color was clear golden with a two finger head that quickly faded to a collar. The aroma was sweet citrus with a little alcohol as it warmed. The taste was a bittersweet citrus too, but I detected a sour taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but liked. Mouth feel is medium bodied and a little oily for an IPA. Drinkability: Good, I had a bomber and would have happily downed another.

kegger22, Aug 19, 2009

ROBSTARR, Dec 10, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This just seemed like the right thing to have with my dinner. We'll see if I keep or trade my other bottle.

A: Pale golden with lots of a/c but a relatively thins head, less than one finger. It's just off white and is small to medium bubbles. Only a little lacing. The more I look, that golden color seems almost orangeish.

S: Like really good honey. Not sweet, but like honey. This smell is quite wonderful. Not overly spiced, which I was sort of expecting, and not very belgiany, though that could be blending into the honey aromas. Maybe a little fresh baked bread? I am associating this smell with creamed honey on fresh baked ciabatta bread. Yum. I would have expected hops, but it's aged, so of course not.

T: Honey is still there, still reminding me of the creamed honey on bread, but there is now some spices going on, not sure if it's remnant hops or something like corriander, anise? While the hops aren't crazy, there is a definite reminder of a hop-burp as I like to call it. I would say this is more of a Belgian take on an American IPA than an Belgian IPA, and that's how I'm grading it.

M: The mouth is surprisingly crisp considering it didn't look very carbonated. Its working really well cutting the spiciness of my soup. It could use a little more body though.

D: Very drinkable in small amounts, it's almost too sweet for me at this point.

mdwalsh, Apr 29, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

dtx00, Dec 29, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

You all know what the bottle looks like so I won't bother. Pours out a copper yellow with almost no head at all. Smell is very sweet with hints of malt, lemon and earthy notes.

Taste is much milder than I expected. Very well integrated flavors of sugar, bread and grassy hops. Lovely drying bitterness in the middle and end. Aftertaste goes on and on. 20 plus seconds? Well balanced and easy drinking. The alcohol is so well hidden. A very "clean" beer.

A great VE in my opinion. I am not sure how this one will age as it is so well integrated now. Oh well, we will see.

CharlesRiver, Jan 23, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

22oz bottle served in a Duvel Tulip. Bottle conditioned. First pour is clear, pale gold with a finger of fine bubbled white head. Interesting aroma, lemon with some spice. Some sugar also as the beer warmed. Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Malty sweetness in the start. Spice from the yeast and also spice from the hops in the finish. Fairly bitter for a Belgian style beer. Very drinkable.

homebrewhawk, Aug 31, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
Golden yellow like a pils but with a small head; good carbonation

Smell
Belgian yeast fruitiness dominates here; not hoppy like I expected; some mild hint of spearamint

Taste & Mouthfeel
Not nearly a 50/50 split of triple and IPA; initially, I get all Belgian flavors--fruity yeast, a lot of bready malt; hops come in later with a minty quality, but is still mild; would like a LOT more hops in this one; some heat in the finish; some nice bitterness in finish later on

Overall
A bit disappointing as there's just not enough hops for me; it just doesn't come to close to the "very, very generously hopped" as described on the bottle. Maybe I didn't drink it fresh enough? Otherwise a very tasty beer. Hopefully this will be a good one for aging.

JEdmund, Dec 29, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured this into a Portsmouth tulip glass. A vigorous pour produces an ample white head, which eventually settles down to a thin film across a pale yellowish-orange body.

The nose contains some sweet malts, a bit of hops and a somewhat candied fruit rubbery smell. Not overly pleasant. I also get some apple juice concentrate in the aroma.

The first sip very sweet, spicy and warming. Lots of estery alcohol and fruits. For a 1 year old beer there is still some pleasant hop bitterness in the background, but it is not very strong. There is still some rubber like flavor in the taste as well.

The mouthfeel is spicy and little on the thin side. The 8.6% ABV is very apparent. Drinkability is on the low side for me.

This beer is a bit of spice bomb and overly sweet. I feel like it may have been better when it was fresh off the line, with a bigger hop profile. Either way, I've got another sitting in the cellar waiting for the vertical tasting on 12.12.12. Maybe I'll be more impressed then, but for now I'll have to pass. I've had much better from Stone than this.

sisuspeed, Nov 14, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

beerpirates, May 11, 2014
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Last of the 2004-2008 vertical epic tasting we did last night. An outstanding evening of fine beer. The 2008 was actually the least interesting of them. This one was kind of blah.

A: light gold

S: floral, citrus, hops, spice.

T: More of the same, piney. Seems to be a belgian yeast with the added twist of California hop overkill (though this doesn't have a crazy amount of hops compared to some stone stuff)

M: medium body and carbonation

D: Just not interesting enough for me to want to drink more than a glass.

waltonc, Oct 06, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +6%

BCTC 2008 Sample

A - Orange/straw in appearance, with just a tad bit of haze

S - Light touches of fruit (kinda like passion fruit to me) with some hoppiness

T - Wow, this was good stuff. A bit hoppier than perhaps a more traditional Belgian Pale, but holds all the characteristic yeasty flavor, with some fruitiness.

M - Not overly mouth-filling, with an almost creamy texture

D - The alcohol is completely hidden in this, and that makes for a dangerously drinkable brew. I could have kept drinking this all afternoon...

Thought this was a standout beer at the festival, and definitely worth a try when it comes out in bottles.

Nickls, Aug 05, 2008

DRTBrewster, Feb 07, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into my tulip glass and shared with a fellow BA.

A: Very light in color...lighter than I was expecting. Gold/yellow and perfectly clear. The sediments suspends in the glass amongst the flowing carbonation.

S: The smell is magnificent. Bananas and pear form the Belgian yeast hit you first. It is then followed by a nice hop nose that is great to see in this style.

T: The taste is exceptional. I love the creative blending of a Belgian style with American hops. That being said, this states very much like a Belgian Tripel blended with an IPA. Bananas, pears, candi sugar blended nicely with an American hop bitterness.

Overall, this is a great brew and one of the best verticals. I cannot wait to try this amongst its brothers!

treyrab, Sep 07, 2008

sailorastro, Jan 02, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

bradfordjohnson, Sep 06, 2012

DruRho, Mar 18, 2013
Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.