Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic AleStone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: froghop on 08-04-2008

The Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale is a Strong Golden Belgian style ale highly hopped with American hops (Ahtanum, Amarillo and Simcoe). The beer pours pale golden with a thick and creamy white head of foam. The aroma is full of depth: nuances of pepper, clove, and banana from the Belgian yeast strain, and the resiny citrus notes from the American hops blend together nicely to provide a complex aromatic character. The taste is spicy, hoppy and fruity, with a very dry and a pleasant bitter end. The bitterness lingers nicely, and provides a refreshing finish that leads you to want to drink more and more of this beer!
4.37/5  rDev +9.8%

22oz bomber poured into wine glass.

A - Pale gold with very small head.

S - Spicy aroma, high presence of yeast smell. Hoppy citrus notes and sugar smells...

T - Very balanced, very tasting, very good. Spicy notes, sweet malts, bitter hops...really, a trippel and IPA combined. Slight taste of alcohol as well. Mild bitter aftertaste, like an IPA.

M - Medium body, light carbonation, nice residue left in the mouth. Less carbonation than many belgian-style brews...but good.

D - Especially considering the high alcohol content, this is a very drinkable beer and a very tasty one at that.

I will certainly plan on picking up another few of these and aging them as they were intended to be...can only imagine them getting better with age.

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

22 oz. purchased about a week ago poured into an Ommegang goblet. Not sure of how well this bottle was conditioned, but here we go.

A: Hazy, yellow and orange. Some visible sediment at the bottom of the glass. Not a problem. Being a home brewer, I am used to seeing sediment in my beer.

S: It smells like a year old IPA. Tons of stale malt and a slight hint of whatever hops remain.

T: Taste like it smells. It just taste like a really old IPA where the malts are dominant but stale and the hops are non-existent. Yeast flavor is prominent at the end. Brings up some fruit flavors at the very end to help alleviate the awful stale taste. Pretty bad.

M: Light to medium bodied; slight carbonation but pretty faded.

O: Overall, this beer has not aged well. I remember having an 08 vertical in the summer of 09 and it was phenomenal. Also had a fresh one in 08. This, however, has just turned to a stale, bitter, tasteless beer. I saw this for 9$ and figured what the hell. Glad to have tried it, but will never seek anything besides a 12 vertical at this point ever again.

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from bottle, into my Allagash slim tulip glass.

Poured a clear yellow, with very nice head. Much lighter looking then I was expecting.

Smelled like bread, yeast, with some citrus, and pretty strong hop presence.

Tasted of hops, not too bitter, with some sweetness to balance it out.

Very drinkable beer! I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

4.59/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked this up at From the Vine in Columbus in December, 2008. Thanks for holding this one for me, Jaimie!

Had this one with some friends over the weekend as we were enjoying a nice warm spring day in Chicago. Looks nice, bright gold with light orange highlights. Decent head and lace. The nose has mild Belgian character and nice American hoppy notes - citrus and pine. There's a good malt base with some sweetness coming through. Mid palate comes phenols and fruity Belgian esters (apple, pear, peach), complimented by a nice biscuity backdrop. Very crisp, very nice, very tasty. Perfect for a bright, warm spring day!

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden clear beer with about 1/2 inch of head that retains well, ample carbonation, and minimal lacing. Carbonation in this one is a lot more than I'd have expected.

S- Lots of hops and some highly intense fruit. A bit spicy smelling as well.

T- Hoppy like a pale ale, has the fruitiness of a belgian ale. Very straightforward fruit flavors. Orange, apricot, and a bit of citrusy lemon flavor. Hops really stand out. I do not taste the alcohol at all. Additionally get some cloves and other spices in my mouth.

M- Crisp, clean. Nice bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

D- Do not taste the alcohol, so it seems very drinkable to me. The high ABV may be a downfall, but I personally do not see it as one.

Love this beer. Opened me up to a whole new style as I'm usually an IPA, IIPA guy.

My wife and I saved this beer a special occasion and here we are. The pour was good this beer is a pale amber with a thin eradicate head that appears to be eggshell and brilliant white. The smell is a ghost of hops. I say this to mean that this beer smells like cascade or centennial hops in a bag. The hops smell is surrounded with bready and mild notes of malt. Overall this beer smells pleasant. The first draw of 08-08 is laced with the hint of hops which have long faded from 2008 and leaves the mouth with a subtle smooth triple. The malt flavors in this brew feels sweet come spicy from the yeast, and some hint just hints of oxidation. Overall I would say that waiting till 2012 to drink this beer may be a mistake. I think that this beer is at or over peek, and though I understand why advocates save these beers I would not wait any longer on this year... it tastes better now than when I had it fresh!!!!

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

poured from bomber into stone pint glass.
a- golden color with 1" white head.
a- floral hops, fruit and a twist of belguim yeast smell.
t- hoppy, fruity, dry, belguim yeast. Though I'm not a real big fan of Belguim Beers. I am a fan of Stone & have liked the Vertical Epic series. I really like this beer.
M- medium light well carbonated. Like a "butter" smooth.
D- This is the best "Belguim" I have ever had. I'm wondering why I didn't buy 2...

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter. A low amount head here. An amber color minor carbonation visible.

Sweet malts are dominant, hops are detectable here, spices here too, with some maybe some fruit.

a really balanced taste here. malts and hops pretty nicely balanced. Citrus here too, not much of those spcies and fruit I smelled but eh, I like a hops and malt, and this delivers both, pretty big. Medium mouthfeel with some carbonation noted even on the last 11oz of the bottle. Alcohol bite is noted here too.

A very good an balanced beer here, might be the most drinkable of this style I've had so far. The ABV should avoid too many, but seeing its a limited release thats probably not a huge problem for most.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Poured light brown, clear, a lot of carbonation with two fingers of white head that disappeared a few minutes after being poured intio the glass.
S: Light and fruity. Slightly Peachy.
T: Like sweet fruits, hoppy, a little citrus, with a bitter and alcoholic aftertaste that holds well after swallowing.
M: Smooth.
D: I enjoyed this beer but it wasn't amazing.

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Stone Vertical Epic 8/8/08
Orange sunshine in appearance. Smelled like tangerine dream and orange-cream with a bite. Awesome! I want to jump in for a swim...
Tart tangerine-citrus hops dominate the flavor, sandwiching a sweet yeasty malt between a slightly piney and peppery-citrus aftertaste. Not much alcohol perceived up front but it is present quite strongly in the aftertaste...and after-effects! Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel with decent drinkability. The alcohol is quite edgy, but will probably smooth out over time. I imagine this could be mind-blowing in a few years.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Straw colored ale with minimum head. Aroma of Duvel-like phenolics, citrus, and hops. Hops dominate the flavor throughout. The beer tastes very highly attenuated, dry and thin. Between the thinness and dryness, I don't think I could drink a lot of this beer.

Overall, it tastes like an overhopped Duvel.

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%

Although this is a relatively high-alcohol beer at 8.6%, it was incredibly smooth and drinkable.

Upon pouring, the 08.08.08 gives off a fruity nose with hints of banana. Upon first sip, the brew reveals an inspired mix of flavors.

"It has the complexity and spiciness of the Belgian yeast," Talking Bob said after taking a deep draft. "But with all the hops of a West Coast IPA."

4.22/5  rDev +6%

22 oz. bomber into a Duvel tulip...

A: A clear golden amber color with a one finger off-white head full of bubbles. A moderate amount of sticky lacing with a minimal amount of head retention. Very sparkling in nature... much like a "Lucifer".

S: Very complex in the nose... there is quite a bit to take in with this beer. Lots of bread-like yeast mixed with corriander and fruity esters. Very strong elements of pine and citrus behind the typical "Belgian" aspects of this beer.

T: A sweet malty front end with yeast and spice mixed in. A noticeable hop bitterness with some traces of the alcohol in the middle and then a tart semi-dry finish in which the hops linger on for a while. A nice bitter hang.

M: Medium body with lots of resins from the high hop rate. Moderate carbonation as would be expected with a Belgian.

D: A very enjoyable beer to drink and the higher ABV is very well masked by all the other flavors and aromas contained in this beer.

I highly recomend this beer, and I am glad to say I picked up a few extras to enjoy over the next few years. I am interested to see how well the hops hold up over time.

22oz bottle poured into tulip shaped glasses:

A: Half a fingers width of white headed foam, with a golden copper, cloudy, dense looking body to it.

S: Apricots, with a touch of grapefruit, followed by a grassy, malty presence. Then there's a bit of unexpected funk, followed by more fresh fruit.

T: At first there's a rush of grapefruit zest, and sweet apples. Then comes a balanced transition to a strong creamy toffee like backbone that finishes off dry, but elegant.

M: Smooth medium bodied, with light carbonation, very refreshing.

D: Goes down easily, extremely smooth. Could definitely see us drinking a couple of these in one sitting.

The Kings Of Hop

4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours light amber/orange (dark golden) clear, with full white head. Sweet aroma of yeast, citrus and hops. Flavor begins with nice citrus on the palate. Flavor develops into herbs, spice and pepper. Finishes with a pleasant kick of hops. Throughout there seems to be hint of banana. Body is medium and smooth, head fades quickly. Easy to drink, very nice. Not sure how this will develop with age.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

BASED ON NOTES: almost a year ago.

I'm a hophead and got some good hop notes from this one. Very happy I had the chance to try this one. I'm giving this one a good 10.

A-Good head, golden in color

S-Citrus pine with good hop aroma.

T-Earthy,but for an IPA it was so damn good. Straw, earth, wheat, hop.

D-It all jumped out, and was very enjoyable.

Serving type: bottle/ 22oz.

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Couldn't wait to let this sit till 2012 so I thought I'd give it a shot. Clear golden yellow. Very "belgian" aroma of sweet malts, clove, citrus and piney hops. Very complex flavor with lots sweet malt upfront. Very carbonated. The alcohol is a bit overpowering in this one which hurts the drinkability a bit, but overall very good, I wonder what some age would do?

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%

Good initial looks, but the head disappears a little to fast with little retention. Nice hoppy aroma that combines perfectly with the initial sweet malty and alcoholic flavors. Some crispness. Bitter at the end, I guess i was expecting more bitterness due to the fact that most stone beers are particularly bitter which I though was actually pretty good, made the beer well balanced, rich and very drinkable. The beer leaves an alcoholic aftertaste similar to the one you get after a tequila shot, less, but similar.

Nice one... the bottle specifies the beer is supposed to be drunk until 2012 I guess if i put a beer that long in the fridge the wife will trow it away at some point.

Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.o8
Specifically designed to age to December 12, 2012! I can not wait that long. Hopefully I can aquire another. I was very happy to get this brought back from California. Thanks pops!

Appearance is a pale yellow/orange. Quickly receding head. Very few bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Smells remind me of a hoppy Duvel! Fruity aroma, some spiciness. Strong hop scent for a belgian but I know that is how Stone does business.

Taste is amazing!! Smooooth on the tongue with a slight sharpness from the hop resins. Tastes like a Duvel with much more hops, which is an awesome thing! This beer is wonderful, buttery and sweet with a good hop kick for a strong Belgian.

I can not imagine what this beers potential is aged appropriatly to the right time. I need to get my hands on another, put it in a cool, dry, dark place and let it do it's thing! This was my most exclamatory(if thats a word) review. Get two of these, drink one now, and save one for 2012! MMM MMM MMM

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- clear golden, very small foam.

b- smells perfumy, flowery, pleasant.

t- tastes like a belgian beer, estery, flowery, def. some sweetness but balanced out by a very strong hop presence. this is more bitter than most belgians I've had but what stone set out to do.
not a very malty feel.

m- feels slightly viscous, has the feel of something like white wine on the tongue. mild carbonation. carbonation could be stronger

d- would i swing back a few in a bar? Yeah, why not? While a good beer, I 've had other years Stone VE that I liked better, like 09/09/09

22 oz bomber from the sharon square fridge since the arrival poured into large snifter

A - thank god they kept it upright at the beer store all the sediment was caked on the bottom
poured thrice giving a slight bubbly head that dissapated quickly
S - awesome! in a nut shell...one could gather several aromas including angelfood cake, banana bread, cloves, lemon merenge, and pine.
T - perfection - probably atypical to a true Belgian lover but exactly what I prefer; balanced malt action with yeasty buttery notes that may be nutty and mildly peppery but mainly like a warm bath of the tropics with a side note of a breakfast cake or something perhaps of another world
M - just enough lingering to beg temptation for more yet so complex as to force the palate to wait and contemplate
D - give me more and more, the time needed to make notations is wasted in my need to get some more in my mouth - like a wet dream
I can't imagine what it would be like to wait until 12/12/12 to try them all.
I had it 07 and 08 and its better every time!

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

From a 22oz into a Belgian Glass...V:08.08.08

Just picked up a case, to split with two other fiends.

(If the Stone Army, from the State of California Invaded Belgium and hostily took over the country of Belgium...This would be the kind of beer that Belgium would brew...)

The first thing that hit me was the hop smell, they did boast it on the bottle, but very hoppy for a Belgian (in my amateur Belgian opinion). Since I'm a hop head, this was a plus. Also there were other smells that tickled the nose.

The head was apparent, but dissipated (I did not slam it into the glass, the first try). This beer will be great with a good dinner. This is a beer that sits well and you do not feel it in your gut.

There is alot of front end, but does not hit you in the back, which is good...nice and crisp. There is a sort of woody taste and smell.

The more I drink it, the crisper it becomes.

Stone Rocks...This is not a Belgian style that boasts alot of "fruity taste", but definitely breeds the perfect hybrid of a Belgian beer with the USA West Coast feel, which Stone does so well.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle into Southern Tier tulip.

Golden apricot color with a quality looking head. Disappears almost completely after a few minutes, but it also leaves a nice clingy lace on the glass.

S-This is a great smelling beer! Extremely floral hoppiness at first, As the head goes away the aroma changes drastically with Notes of apple, pear, clove, candi sugars with a musky yeast aroma.

T-Banana, pear with a biscuity like breadiness, Good spicy bitterness from the hops giving off a peppery flavor on the finish. Mouthfeel is also excellent due to the aggresive hop profile.

D- Drinkability is very good. I would most likely stop after just 1 bomber, but at over eight percent I find this to be quite enjoyable and very easy to drink.

This is a perfect example of thinking outside of the box from a world class brewery. Top Notch beer from Stone once again!

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance is a very golden hue with a lighty white frothy head.

The smell has some fruit notes, honestly i cant smell much because i have a sinus infection right now.

The smell is very good light on the fruit with a belgian yeast tone

The mouthfeel is very light not too carbonated

The drinkability even with the abv is very nice

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%

Been a while since I've had this style. Not a bad choice to get me back into the style.

Looks nice. Slightly opaque bronze color. Big bubbles of carbonation coming up and hanging around the to. Head is perfectly white and dissipates quickly.

Smells really nice. Fruity belgian yeast. Grapefruit, orange, every kind of citrus I can think of; coriander, very sweet. Smells like something you'd dream up.

Tastes pretty good. I think the hops are a bit overpowering (dear god, what am I saying??) at first. However they mellow out a bit after a few sips and match well with the belgian fruitiness. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is prickly and crisp, very refreshing. Drinkability is good. I'd love to have a couple of these on a hot day...and then pass out for a few hours(the abv is a bit high, but hey don't let that stop you)

As expected, stone delivers again.

Highly Recommended.

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.