Oaked Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Double Bastard Ale
No picture uploaded.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Overlord on 11-10-2008)
1.5/5  rDev -63.5%

2.63/5  rDev -36%

First off, I want to say that I love Stone Brewery. Whenever my pallet wants to be challenged or thrashed, I grab me a 22 oz.er and go to town like Chloe Sevigny in that one artsy road trip movie. You know the one.

So when I picked up a 20 dollar sixer (Alaska)of this brew, I was pretty pumped. After my first sip I regretted my purchase. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer, but the Bastard is far better. The main reason for my disappointment is the oak flavor. Perhaps it is because I am jaded by my own over oaked homebrews, but this beer was way too oakiefor my meager pallet. It took me a few weeks to kill off the six pack. The flavor dominated every second of the experience and remained on the tongue for quite a while afterward.

A good beer, but it makes me long for the original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Had at the Stone Tap Takeover in Charlotte. 2006 Vintage on French Oak Chips. Served from tap into a tumbler. Poured a deep red-orange with a minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt and smoked wood. The flavor was comprised of a big hop and alcohol up-front with a subtle woody earthiness on the followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall the hop and alcohol up front on this one were kind of overwhelming for me. The subtle woody note did help to bring my palate back down to Earth but just barely. Just too much of the upfront flavors to allow the true nature of the original brew to shine through.

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A - Reddish-Brown, slightly cloudy with an 1/2 inch oatmeal colored head. Thin, but long lasting lacing.

S - Toasted Malts, Oak, dried fruits, and hints of citrus.

T - Toasted Malts, dried fruits with plenty of oak.

M - Medium-full mouth feel, with a bitter hops, alcohol, & oaky finish

O - This big beer has tons of flavor with plenty of alcohol and oak. Still quite enjoyable and easy to drink. Not exactly a session beer, but it will be finding its way back into my fridge soon.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena, CA.

Billed as 2012 Double Bastard with toasted oak. 10.4% ABV.

Pours a clear orange-red with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, citrus zest, and wood. Taste is much the same with vanilla and woody flavors on the finish. There is a high amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty but fairly strong.

Oaked Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.