Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
4.63/5  rDev +14%

So Stone tells us it is literally "the hoppiest beer [they've] ever brewed." That's right, kids, hoppier than Ruination. Hoppier than anything you can possibly imagine. But blood red for an amazing malt balance. If i had to pick one beer to be pumped into my system intravenously, this might be it.

The aroma is like someone has surgically implanted hop resin in your nostrils. The flavor has a mountainous brain-busting wave of bitterness and alcohol burn popping with every drop of glorious flavor you can squeeze out of American hops, including (but not limited to) grapefruit, pine and tangerine. The malt is thick and sticky, providing enough balance to make the beer drinkable, but it doesn't even attempt to compete with the hops. The hops try to cover and overwhelm your taste buds, but the alcohol cleans them right off, and you're immediately ready for another sip.

Obviously, a perfect session beer.

Bonhoeffer, Jul 25, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +14%

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale is a dim, dark brown ale with a big, fluffy beige head that has oily bubbles and outstanding retention and lacing. It has a huge, fresh hoppy aroma, like fresh cut grapefruit. It smells a little sweet and malty. It's pretty full bodied, quite smooth and bubbly with a dry finish. It's bold and bitter; citrusy and a bit grassy. There's a touch of sweetness and roastiness. It's a bit top-heavy with a grapefruit aftertaste. It's like an Imperial IPA with some nice roasty malt thrown in. It's a champion beer!

yesyouam, Aug 03, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +14%

Pours chocolate milk hazy redbrown, like riverwater. Opaque. Can't tell what the shit going on up in this.

Smells like lots of fruit, booze, alcohol and malt. No winey nodes, very little hops. Just a like a combination of a fruit smoothie, minced meat pie, and grandpa's fiery orange juice (only just the fire, no OJ).

I know it says right on the bottle that you shouldn't age this, but this is way more pleasantly complicated than the beer I drank on tap in September. It's like a wonderfully melted fruitbasket, the alcohol has gained prominence as the chocolatey malts have been dulled and all that's left is like the bastard progeny of a Dubbel and and an American strong

mynie, Mar 26, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: A dark beautiful ruby red color that borders on a rusty red. A thick, two finger tan head, that dissipates into a beautiful lacing that hugs the side of the glass gently sliding down with each drink.

AROMA: Right off the bat you smell the hops in this big Imperial Double Red Ale. The first note is a very heavy citrus, nay grapefruit, scent. I am guessing this is from the Chinook Hops in the brew, but it could also be the Centennial that are used in the dry hopping. There is also just a hint of pine in there. The beer has a smell that can only be described as resiny, (forgive me) 'dank' and beautiful.

FLAVOR: BIG! This beer is all about the hops, and has just a touch of an alcohol heat. The first thing I notice is the wonderful hoppy grapefruit/grapefruit rind flavor of the hops come through. There is slightest malt finish to it that is, in my mind, almost as if it were an afterthought.

PALATE: There is no doubt that this is a full-bodied beer, and definitely not for the beginner, or those into 'fizzy yellow beers' as Stone would say. There is a good deal of carbonation to it, which I noticed from the pour, but it is not overly carbonated. It has a slight but very noticeable heat to it, which isn't surprising to me at 9.5%. The heat does seem to become more noticeable the further I get into the second half of the bottle, and the closer it gets to room temperature.

NOTES: I am a total hop-head. A freak for the beautiful bitterness that can only come from Humulus lupulus, the hop plant. This definitely delivers. For this special release, Stone hopped the brew at four pounds of hops per barrel, more hops per barrel than any other beer they've produced. As mentioned it is a big 9.5%, which you can feel. I was getting a warmth from this beer half way through the 22 oz. bottle. It is available as a limited release in 22oz. bottles, and (very) limited tap. I would love to find this on tap somewhere just for the comparison. The 13th Anniversary Ale was released 06/29/2009, and is available while supplies last, so you have to get it when you see it. I was going to buy a few to cellar, but wrote Stone after seeing a note on the label, "Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009." When I received word back from Stone, this is apparently because the flavor profile cannot be guaranteed to last. They did not say it, but I am willing to throw out the guess that it is due to the amount of hops they are using in the beer, and the fact that the hop character is bound to mellow over time. All this said, I will be sad when I get the last drink of the final bottle of Stone 13th Anniversary. This was yet another great brew from the guys at Stone.

HopHed, Jul 24, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounces of course, poured into a Unibroue tulip. Took a while to get started because I had to dramatically pause for quite a while to admire the aroma resinating from the glass. A lot has been discussed about Stone's desire for people to drink this one fresh, even notating it on the bottle, I can only imagine it is because the smell is so breathtaking, it can never get better with age. I believe that the beer actually would be fine to age, but this smell can never be better than it is fresh and it is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. The taste is certainly not a let down, the only disappointment is that this beer will be gone too soon. Awesome beer.

KickbacksSteve, Sep 28, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Arrogant Bastard is one of my all time favorite beers, and this can best be described as Arrogant Bastard on steroids. Noticeably more hoppy than the aforementioned beer but still balanced (this isn't just a dressed up IPA), and with a slightly more alcoholic aftertaste (though not in an unpleasant way). Like Arrogant bastard, has a heavy mouthfeel but still very drinkable. I found this to be a highly enjoyable session beer, and probably goes into my current top 5. I drank the bomber using a pint glass, would probably use my delirium tulip glass next time.

mechamifune, Aug 09, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A deep amber to a ruby red color, with a light beige head forming on top. The head starts at a half inch high then dissolving down to form a thick film on top. The aroma starts with fragrant grassy, earthy scents, followed by a floral scent. Then a touch of malty sweetness comes through in the aroma and finishing with a slight twang of alcohol tickle the nose at the end. A strong malt flavor at the front, then it gradually grows to the hops. The hops bring a plethora of flavors of grass, earth, pine, and grapefruit. A medium bodied feel, it then gains weight slowly as it crosses the palate. The cleansing sensation of carbonation hits the back end. This beer definitely brings the hop flavor, but the malt is there balance it all out. Great color, incredible aroma, intense flavors, makes not question where this beer came from. You are left to wanting more the whole year round.

cameraman, Aug 10, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours as dark as allot of stouts with some ruby red hues around the very edges. A 1 finger soda esque head and decent lacing. The smell is a fantastic array of darker malts with some pineapple and grassy hops. The flavor is like a combination on a barley wine and a hoppy amber. Deep malts with some barley flavoring and it feels like im chewing on a mouthful of cascade hops. The mouthfeel is that of a big beer, as is the drinkability. This is my favorite of the stone anniversary brews that i have tasted (from 9 on). I will drink as much of this as i can while its fresh.

dickieb, Aug 13, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer is damn good..I haven't tasted this kind a beer since long time.... This feels like beer.... a original beer.. this beer made my day a better one. don't ever drink without any food.. first timer...have a snack ready before u drink this beer... i think u will love it as u go long with it. no way to start beer tasting with this,... but i love beer so I tried it.. its good

beersujit, Jul 06, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

A-Pours a deep dark (not see through) ruby red color that boasts a creamy, thick, medium sized espresso crema colored head that has really good retention and very sticky, spotty, lacy lacing.

S-The aroma is BEAUtiful indeed. It wafts pungent pine hops to the head. Then as it warms, morphs into this strong caramel and toffee aroma that is so pungent! Wow... it's pretty straight foward, but good and pungent, like really pungent. Also as it warms, and with a swirl of the glass, I get a blast of sweet candied grapefruit, then when I looked for it, I also get lots of dark fruits underneath.

T-The flavor is much of the same with loads and loads of toffee and caramel malts and pine and grapefruit hops with some dark fruits underneath. Oh, and I can't forget the hop bitterness that punches you in the face. There is definentely a presence of alcohol there, which is to be expected. But it's not really hot perse. So it's not bad.

M-This is a huge beer with a creamy thick mouthcoating feel, that leaves any true beer lover satisfied.

D-I gave the drinkability a 3.5 only because of the abv and noticable alcohol presence. But it's not like it doesn't go down well, cause it does, but I don't think I could have more than one of these over the coarse of a night. I have to sip on this slowly, which is not a bad thing. I highly suggest getting this one if you can find it!

hoplover82, Sep 07, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-Deep crimson with a white/beige head, sticky lacing and a swath of bubbles emitting from the depths of the glass.

S-Absolute hop. A stinging sensation on your nose, because of the sheer hoppiness of this beverage. Moist pine bark, the mist coming off of an orange as you peel the skin off, caramel, toffee and a rush of booze.

T- up front malt that levels into a universe of pulsating hop orgies with tawney port, cracked pepper corn, pine, mint, and victory in the background.

M- Lathery, suddy, the glass says it all, the head is stuck to this mother like no tomorrow.

D- This is the fifth time i've had this beer and the first time i've reviewed it....best selling stone beer by far that we've ever carried as well.

slayer3604, Jul 08, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a 22oz bomber from Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora, CA and split it with my brother-in-law. Poured into a couple standard pint glasses.

Appearance was a rich dark amber color topped with a thick off-white head which never fully faded away and left successive lace rings down the glass walls, kind of like tree rings recording my progress in polishing my share.

The nose was heavily laden with pine resins and grapefruit; very nice. Underneath were the aromas of caramel with hints of fruit and a touch of vanilla. However, the hops easily outpaced the malt bill here.

The taste was an immediate blast of hops oils on the tongue, scouring the tastebuds with pine needles and grapefruit peels. The malt platform of sweet caramel applied a decent counter to the hops but there was no doubt as to which element was in charge. A slight warming was felt at the finish courtesy of the high alcohol content. The feel was full, rich and creamy with the aforementioned alcohol burn.

Overall, a great brew from the folks at Stone. I only knocked drinkability due to the fact that the high ABV got me rocked faster then I would care for. Nonetheless; this is a wonderful beer, one I plan on getting again and heartily recommend.

Boilermaker88, Jul 07, 2009

Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep, opaque reddish-brown color with a two finger tan head.

S- Mouth-watering pine and grapefruit hop aromas up front with the slightest hint of caramel malt. Smells really fresh.

T- Tastes very similar to how it smells. Aggressive cirtus and pine upfront with a fade to caramel malt and then finishing with hop bitterness. There's a bitterness that lingers in your throat with this one.

M- Feels really oily and smooth. Some might argue it's a little under-carbonated but I think it's fine.

D- Definitely a sipper, but the alcohol is pretty well hidden. The warmer it gets the alcohol becomes more apparent. I'd be hard-pressed to drink more than a bomber of this, but I would definitely revisit this one.

samie85, Oct 02, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

a: pours a deep amber red, almost brown hued tone, with tan bubbly head receding to a mild ring with inviting lace...

s: as expected, a hops bomb explodes in your nose, accompanied by delightfully sour tangerine/grapefruit citrus notes...

t: the sweetness of the citrus does battle with the bountiful hops harvest, resulting in a taste overwhelmingly reminiscent to that of Arrogant Bastard.

m: cool, rich, smooth, with a proper carbonation balance to fight the explosion of hops...this ale is wonderfully refreshing on the palate...

d: i expected and half feared/hoped for an entirely exaggerated and obscenely hopped brew when I picked up a couple bottles of this at Total Wine...and while this is an excellent brew and entirely drinkable on its own merits, i find it a bit too similar to Arrogant Bastard to really say that I find it necessary to buy up every available case of this stuff before it disappears into retirement.

that being said, spend the extra couple bucks per bottle while its around so that you can say you were apart of the 13th anniversary hehe...welcome to adolescence Stone!

Salud!

sirdrinkwell, Sep 30, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Poured into a tulip, little head with a dark angry red color.

S - HELLO HOPPPSSSS!!! The red sweetness is there too, and adds a lot to the smell.

T - Wow! Fanstastic blend of red spice and different types of hops that create a party in my mouth.

M/D - While mouthfeel isn't something I would usually drink, it is something I want to have over and over again. This is far better than 12th and really rocks my world.

mwa423, Jul 17, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into my cuvee de trolls' glass, very nice coffe brown with a light tan head. The smell threw me off, way less aggresive then I somehow expected but still very nice. If there is such thing as dark chocolate infused with citrus, it would smell like this, very nice.
The first sip threw me off again, sweet, not as bitter hoppy as I once again expected. I still taste chocolate, actually, the longer I let this warm up the more chocolate I get. Then the hops kick in and o this is good. It makes me want to re-review every hop bomb I have ever had and compare it to this. Which would be a horrible idea since this beer is pretty strong. I have to mention the creamy feeling of this beer, very nice, it kinda coats your mouth and leaves a sweet aftertaste.
This beer is awesome, I wouldn't have it on daily, not even on a weekly base, this is 'special'. I love it!

yesferro, Sep 06, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Huzzah! Finally got to try this after trolling around huge for it the past few days here in San Diego. It's one of my most anticipated beers I've ever had, so needless to say I was super-excited to crack the bomber. Had the bomber in a pint glass served just below room temp.

Appearance: Beautiful. It pours out with pretty nice just off-white head the evens itself out pretty quickly, but the head is very, very worth having some of. Its color seems like a deep copper brown but when held up to the light, you see the rich cherry tones.

Smell: From the instant I cracked the bottle, it was all over the place. Immediate hops of different breeds, you can just tell in the way the aroma shifts from floral and citrus to pine and sweet. The malt, however, still holds its own, but this beer is all about the hops. Hops, hops, and more hops, and the smell is what I'd hoped for in more. It's a 5, and deservingly so.

Taste: Man, does not disappoint. If you like hops, this beer is prime. It's odd as it's not an IPA, but every bit as hoppy as one, and yet, it retains its nutty composure in the malt as a balance. But layer after layer of awesomeness here, and it certainly ranks up there among my tastiest beers I've ever had. I'd wanna drink it again before I say 5, but this is certainly pushing it.

Mouthfeel: Like a heavy red ale, which hey, it is. Creamy with a hoppy bite to it, with nice carbonation and good coating.

Drinkability: Easiest 9.5% I've ever had, and I mean that legit. I've had 7s that drank slower than this. The red ale style masks very well, and the hops cover for the alcohol pretty quickly.

All in all, I couldn't recommend this beer more to a hop lover. Thank you Stone for another really interesting and awesome creation, and I can't wait to drink this again tonight!

nomomentwasted, Jul 04, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Light ruby brown with a creamy light tan head that lasts for awhile.
S: Almost like a double or triple IPA, though with more floral hops. Creamy and smooth.
T: A lot of floral and citrus hops up front, followed by a big malt backbone. Quite a lot of flavor packed in every sip.
M: Like the smell; pretty silky and creamy.
D: Little noticeable alcohol per se though strong flavors. For something stronger than a good, say, Oberon or an IPA, a fantastic summer beer. Another solid from Stone.

lhaqq, Jul 25, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Clear, dark-red and brown with a tan head that has nice retention.

S- Citrus and tobacco from the hops but also some doughy notes from the malts and yeast.

T- Citrus, grapefruit mixed with some hop oil notes fade into the malty backbone with has some nice caramel malts and fruit flavors. The hops come back in on the end with some pine notes creating a bitter and dry finish.

M- Medium to full feel due to the strong malt body. With a good carbonation level.

D- The hops and high abv make this one a sipper for sure, but a very fine one. Despite the high hop level the beer is kept fairly balance by a full malt body. This one really is a treat.

TommyW, Jul 22, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

22 oz bottle split with Tony. Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter. Thanks amwebber for the bottle.

A - pours ruby-brown with one finger of off-white foam. Lacing is nonexistent.

S - Awesome hoppy aroma smacks you in the face... balanced by raisins, and sweet maltiness

T - strong bitterness, lot of residual sweetness with a flavor of oxidation- strange because the beer is fresh, but it really works well. There are a ton of different flavors vying for your attention, including some raisin and plum flavors.

M - Hop bitterness really assaults the back of your tongue. Carbonation is above average, helps to dissipate the flavors

D - This is a fine beer, the 9.5% ABV is well hidden, the extreme hoppiness is balanced by a good amount of sweetness. Excellence all around.

FickleBeast, Aug 08, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bomber to a freshly washed pint glass

Poured a dark amber w/ a slight chill haze. Two inch thick off-white head, substantial lacing with some "legs".

Smells of fresh ground citrus rinds and pine needles. I can also detect some cinnamon and spice, slightly. The citrus hops are dominant on the nose.

Taste is a very fresh citrus melded with cinnamon, raison and dates. A good lingering acidity and heat from the alcohol. A slight burbon quality. Very complex and morphs a bit towards a Strong American Amber as it warms w/qualities of caramel and varieties of malt.

This is a mouthful. Very complex and righteous!

This is a careful drinker. Enjoy it and move on o something of less impact. Perhaps a Stone IPA?

GordonQuid, Jul 20, 2009

valkyre65, Dec 08, 2011

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jun 08, 2013

DOCRW, Jan 25, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

pours hazy redish brown with plenty of sediment - a big 2+ finger head that leaves notches all down the glass

smells like a pine forest

taste - pine pine pine - AB with grapefruit and lots of pine

mouthfeel is medium with plenty of carbonation

drinkability is great - i love the taste and love the smell - one of the best stone brews i have had

jsh420, Mar 06, 2010
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.