Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

The pour unveils a walnut body with copper and ruby hues lying beneath a massive, foamy, tan head that patiently subsides to leave big, sticky lacing clinging to the glass.

Big aromas consist of sweet malt and rich, herbal or piney hops. Malt likely consists of sweet caramel or toffee.

The palate has some nice character with immediate malt sweetness reflective of the nose followed by the assertive hearty, herbal hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium to full in body with medium carbonation and a velvety start to a slightly drying finish.

This is a very well structured brew with nice balance in flavor and very pleasing overall. Seems like a new twist on a traditional Stone Brew.

CHADMC3, Jan 16, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Happy to be reviewing at Stone beer after a long break (had some RIS a few months ago ) from try new releases from Stone, Cheers to chefmikeanderson!

Pours a very effervescent chestnut with 4 fingers of bubbly khaki head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Pineyness, grapefruit & figs; not much else

T: Cakeyness, dryness, grapefruit, herbal & piney hops, some figgyness hiding up front. Huge herbal & piney hops mix with boozey grapefruit as this warms, plus intense dryness & a touch of cakeyness hiding below the hops. Finishes dry, piney & grapefruitty, with detracting boozeyness, plus some brown sugar

MF: Chewy as hell with low carbonation, but turns watery as it warms skews too hoppy for the style for me at the same time...

Drinks a bit slow with uber hoppyness & some boozeyness slowing me down.. Still, this is what Stone is about IMO, in your face beers that you may not always love, but more hits than duds by a long shot. Stone, please come to Oklahoma, Kansas or Mizzou please!! This one is off base to me but would happily buy if looking for a hop fix

russpowell, Aug 15, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a clear reddish mahogany into a pint glass. A rocky half inch of off white head offers moderate retention that holds through the pint and yields lots of temporary sheet lacing.

Balance of a light caramel sweetness and piney hops on the nose. Bit of alcohol. Prevalent sweetness has a touch of citrus scent to it but there's lots of wood here and fresh evergreen.

Taste follows the nose but doesn't offer the body expected and isn't as sweet as expected. A peppery spice initiates. There's enough of a malt body to mask the alcohol to a large degree, but not much extra. A bit of caramel molasses and buttery citrus. Finishes with a smoky bitterness. Feel is smooth and closes with a lingering touch of caramelized sugar and with a hint of dark chocolate. Fairly drinkable for the size.

Note: I'd label this beer a 'Red IPA' as I would a few other offerings I've had locally. Fans of the style might well reject it yet it's right in line with expectations from Stone. Über hoppy for the style. I see the style has been changed to a Strong Ale from an Amber/Red Ale, a more apt description.

HalfFull, Jul 06, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

22 oz. bottle served in a snifter glass. Pours a clear mahogany color with a decent frothy tan head, good lacing throughout. Aromas is caramel malts, pine, citrus, grapefruit and spicy hops, bread, and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is caramel malts, pine and citrus hops, a nice fruitiness, a touch of alcohol, and a hint of wood. Mouthfeel is smooth, a little creamy, finishes dry and fairly bitter. Good beer, nice and hoppy.

mtstatebeer, Feb 03, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

In terms of Stone, and American Strong Ales, this is just average. I mean just viewing in terms of beer, it is good. But maybe I expect more? I do not know.

Pours a brown caramel color with thin tan head.

Aroma of sweet caramel malt, and grassy/herbal hops.

Taste is strong and hoppy, with some candy sweetness. Hop mouth does set in after a bit. As drinkable as a strong ale can be.

Freshie, Oct 12, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Picked up a bottle of this at one of my local spots in CT.

Pours a semi-opaque ruby-brown color with a strong tan colored head. Tons of lacing is left behind in my goblet following a few sips. Aromas of dark fruit, alcohol, licorice, and sourdough seem to come out. Quite powerful in it's scent and lingering aromas. The taste follows suite and is dominated by sweet malt flavors that leave behind a smoky flavor on the back of my throat. To me this tastes like a winter warmer with sweet bready malt character and high alcohol content. A few sips in and I'm feeling the alcohol especially the warming sensation that often follows the high ABV beers.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer especially while the snow is falling outside and the temperature is dropping. However I don't plan on having this again as it seems more singular in profile and taste.

jaluria, Jan 03, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured a thick brown orange color with a small tan head along the top. Smelled spicy and malty with hops behind the stronger spice scents I first smelled.

Tastes very boozy and Licorice seemed to hit me. Maybe pepper or some other spice, but the licorice seemed to ring a bell with my tastebuds among the grapefruit. I would let this one age a little longer to let the booze settle down, but overall a very tasty brew.

Mouthfeel was nice and syrupy, a good consistency for a beer that was high in abv. Rough to drink more than one bomber of this though as it is a sipper.

alpinebryant, Sep 17, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

poured from a bottle into my arrogant bastard pint glass, says "do not cellar," I chose to not take their advice. The body is a thick deep brown, cloudy with a light tan/yellowish head topping it. Dissipation is not evident, else extremely slow.

The smell emanating from this is very alcohol intensive, spicey hops shine through but all in all the esters dominate. A light brown sugar from the malt comes out to play also.

The flavors do not lend themselves to the estery scent but are very up front. The hop spices give me a slight cinnamon, bitter clove and nutmeg as well a a pine and spruce type tree flavor. The malt is there as a backbone not really imparting too much flavor, most fermented out into the alcohol content which is substantial. Interesting flavors to be sure and I respect the hell out of them but it doesn't strike my palate as being particularly amazing.

The mouthfeel is solid, dense and malty with little carbonation to lighten it at all.

Sipping beer this one is, so thick you can't really do much else unless you like chugging milkshakes ha

dwilson01, Jan 18, 2011

22oz bomber poured into Nonic Pint Glass
Pours a dark ruby, dark red color with patchy lacing on the glass
Smells of piney and citrus hops up front, sweet, bready caramel malt, some alcohol but not bad
Taste of citrus hops up front with that bitter bite that I love, overcomes a real bready malty syrupy sweet and then finishes with the hop bitterness in the back. Maybe not as balanced as i usually like..maltiness kind of overpowering
Mouthfeel was a medium feel with real sticky taste left, medium carbonation, had a boozy heat
Overall, a pretty good beer by Stone, but I wish I would have had it when it was fresher. I think the hops mellowed out a little bit and I think this beer would have been better fresher,but thats my fault letting it chill for a while.

BayouBengal1537, Apr 03, 2011

From Notes: 7/1/09
Stone Brewing Co.
13th Anniversary 2009
American Strong Ale
9.5% Abv.
22oz. Bottle into Allagash glass

Appearance= Vigorous pour yielded a fat 3 finger head. Damn my vigorous pours... Like all stone beers, excellent head retention.

Smell= Peppery, kinda smells like a cigar. Good smells when it warms up a bit. Fresh hop aromas to say the least!

Taste= Hops. Wow, hops. Some nice malt as well. It's good. A true palate bomb.

Mouthfeel= Bursting mouthfeel. Everything is very fresh. Good sticky fresh hop mouthfeel. Not thick, almost perfect mouth.

Drinkability= Drinkability is a little lower than most hoppy beers I drink. It maybe the peppery aspect of it. Don't get me wrong, I love hops but I dunno about this one. It's a good beer though. I'd say more like a American Strong DIPA if such a category existed. Hot beer, best describes it.

Grabbin2nd, Jul 15, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked this one up about six months ago at Buckeye Beer Engine for $8 iirc. It was already a year old at that point. I really liked this one when it was fresh in summer 2009, so I figured I'd pick a couple more up and see how it ages.

Appearance (4.5): Very dark, reddish brown with dark orange around the edges. A pretty healthy cream colored head with tight bubbles which sticks around and leaves a thick ring and a thin covering layer.

Aroma (4): Very strong, syrupy caramel from the crystal malts and slightly sweet. A touch of pine and dark citrus hops are well integrated.

Taste (4): Immediately the bitterness, piney hops and light, bready caramel flavors hit the tongue. The middle is much more of the syrupy caramel and pretty sweet and viscuous. The finish is more hoppy and not as malt forward but still a bit sweet. The bitterness lingers along with the thick sweetness of the crystal malts.

Mouthfeel (3): Thick and coating from the residual sugars. Almost overly so. I remember this being much more balanced when it was fresh so it's hard to dock it too much.

Drinkability (3.5): This isn't quite a sipper but the sweetness knocks down the drinkability. The alcohol is pretty well masked, but the syrupy caramel backbone makes it less palatable. I thought this one was better when it was fresh as it was very close to a DIPA. Not it's more of a barleywine, and a much different beast. Still not bad at all though and it's not coming back either.

grover37, Mar 04, 2011
3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Told not to cellar, BUT I'M A MAVERICK. I had a few of these fresh a few years back and thought they were quite good, so I saved one for a 5 year tasting. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Dark red with pretty decent head formation. Reading previous reviews, it seems the head does develop over time. The agitator in the Duvel tulip certainly doesn't hurt, I'm sure.

S: I read the 2012 reviews and saw a lot about the alcohol. I'm really only getting a little of that, so I guess the extra 2 years have really helped on that front. Some toffee and sweet malts up front, with a slight hint of currants.

T: Very, very sweet, caramel and molasses dominate. I think a year earlier would've been a better call for this, but I was bound and determined for a 5-year review. That currant/raisin flavor sticks around a bit. Decently long finish - honestly, a minute or so after the last sip is when this beer gets really interesting, with the raisins and molasses dominating.

M: Medium- to full-bodied, surprised the rest of the flavors don't stick around longer.

O: This one was pretty solid fresh (wish I would've reviewed it back then), but 5 years really is too long. I could see maybe 3 or 4 being worthwhile. I don't really get Stone's insistence that you "Do Not Cellar. Enjoy in 2009." I had this as part of a 3-year vertical in 2010, with 2008, 2009, and 2010 anniversaries, and I recall 2009 standing out above the others (and those were pretty solid fresh). I remember thinking I had a gem on my hands but I guess it was just slightly too long.

jdcollens, Jun 08, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a clear deep dark amber ruby color with a very light tan head that retains quite well and leaves nice lacing.

Nose is mostly hops, but some caramel malt like aromas are lurking in there. Metallic Pine like hops are prominent though.

Hmmm. Pretty interesting, but far from delicious. Certainly a decent beer, but really fairly boring. The malty base is there, but it is alot like the malt profile in an old-ass IPA. The hop profile is ok, but really just blatantly bitter, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but when there isn't enough flavor to back it up, its less enticing.

Mouthfeel is good, viscous without being overbearing. Carbonation is dead on though.

Drinkability is very good for the abv. Although, the flavor kind of detracts from it.

Overall, i am pretty uninspired and unimpressed on this one from stone. It's ok, its not a bad beer, its just so damn boring. Aside from the bitterness, this really tastes like an old DIPA. I would drink it again, but certainly wouldn't purchase it again. Meh

AKBelgianBeast, Sep 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

That's a nice looking beer. Man, is that a nice looking beer. Pours rich and thick, tiny tan bubbles in a good-sized head. That head lasts and lasts... Beautiful ruby/amber color - so deep and rich. Nice red color shines through, just a little.

Smells citrus floral and grassy. On the bitter side of citrus - grapefruit or something.

Oh. That's crazy. Interesting. Whoa. What? I guess it's like an IIPA in the mouth. Lots of different hop stuff going on but mostly subdued. Kinda strange. A tiny zap of bitterness at the end and she's done. Only, ha, fooled you! It keeps getting dryer and more bitter the longer it's been since you had any in your mouth. Thus, as with hot peppers, you're encouraged to drink more - to keep that dry, bitter aftertaste from coming on. Ha! Thankfully all of the crazy hops and bitterness and whatever have sweet maltiness to balance them out. Interestingly, my first taste was only of the malts... Like, well, it takes time for the hops to come on but they truly are like hot peppers - slowing sneaking up and then thwacking you on the head, er, tongue. And there are all kinds of hop things going on - it's not strong in citrus (that was the nose). It's not overpowering in pine but you sure get that. It's crazy. You should try it!

With a touch more carbonation, really not much, this would be spot on.

And while I've lavished all of this praise on it... I probably won't go out and buy any more. I prefer my beer more subdued and more balanced. Hey - compared to a Pliny this is Westy 12 but it's still way too hop forward and bitter especially a minute or two after you've swalled it for my taste.

charlesw, Jul 31, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark red color, head was super creamy and frothy. The aroma is unique and beyond complex. Caramel up from, slight mint, spicy hop remnants, leather, chocolate, and earth. There's a big caramel, almost chocolaty note up front on the taste, some earthy, spicy bitterness still lingering from the hops, sweet malts, and a leathery finish. Full bodied on the feel, creamy.

"Do not cellar".

I never noticed that on my bottle until I decided to crack it...3+ years later.

I haven't had it fresh, which would have been nice, though I was just getting into beer at that time and Stone entered Louisiana the year after. But, this was a nice Strong Ale. Though the said "Don't cellar", I think they knew this would hold it'd own to father time.

EgadBananas, Jul 27, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a very dark ruby with earthier tones near its heart.Solid white head hangs out on top. Fades fairly quickly but leaves a solid ring around the top of the beer. Tons of lacing left on the glass. Awful Perdy.

Smells yummy. Huge pine with some sweeter grapefruit notes. Underneath is a touch of alcohol. Lots of nice caramel hitting up the back with some toasted nuts.

This is nearly a highly hopped barley wine. There's lots of dark fruit going on. Some fig and date and raisins. You've got the other side coming through now, some grapefruit, lemon, orange, and small pine. Heavy on the bitter side.

Sticky and chewy. Nicely carbonated. Finding it pretty smooth here.

The drinkability is good from a "the alcohol is not overwhelming" perspective, but the high bitterness puckers the lips a bit and devastates any other flavors you hope to experience.

youngblood, Jul 11, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I found this at the back of my beer fridge and figured I better drink it ASAP.Poured into my pint glass the beer is dark cherry red with an enormus tan head that was at least 3 inches thick and could have been more if it had not billowed over the top of my glass. After some settling the head leaves a extremly thick coating of lace all around my glass. A nice cap has formed on top of the beer.

The aroma is super hoppy.It smells more like a DIPA then anything. Bitter fruits and pine are basically the only thing my nose can pick up. Not that that's a bad thing.

The flavor smoother then I expected. That may be an effect from the beer being 4 months aged. Some grapefruit and pine flavor is there but mostly smooth malt. I can't down grade too much since I'm sure this was supposed to be consumed fresh.

Creamy medium body with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall I wish I hadn't forgotten about this beer. I would have loved to have gotten it fresh. It's still a really nice beer just not the usual Stone mind blower.

beerwolf77, Oct 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Dated June 2009. Beautiful looking deep mahogany ale with a khaki-colored, dense/bubbled root beer-like cap that slowly descended to a large clump. Modest lacing.

S - Pine and mocha - more pronounced as it warmed.

T - Complex pine sap, oak, leather, malt and peat with a Scotch-like alcohol punch on the back end/finish. Not for the weak of heart and not for the novice. Those who enjoy a "hop assault" will like this very much but the heat is distracting, even when quite cold.

M - Splendid creaminess and a slight touch of fizz; wow.

D - At 9.5%? Right. This is more than a decent ale, however and worth purchasing.

pinotboy007, Aug 10, 2009

13th ann stone

Beautiful color, brown and clear with a wonderful mahogany hue when held up to the light. Nice tight, tan head of about 1 inch height that fell very slowly to a thick coat with a tall collar of about 3/8 inch in height. Some alcohol enter the nose as it warms

The nose brings huge molasses malt mixed with resiny, piney hops. Jagermeister in the nose as well. There are some dried fruits.

Malts rush at 1st. molasses, dried fruit, sweet caramel. The hops come slamming in the middle, big resinous and bitter. Pine, green and herbal. The bitterness lingers very long, way beyond the swallow. My entire mouth is tingling. Alcohol is fairly well hindden until the beers wrms considerably at whcih point it becomes quite hot.

Mouthfeel may be the strongest suit of this beer. This is one creamy, full bodied beer. Carbonation compliments the creaminess perfectly. The heat from the alcohol as it warms detracts though.

I could drink this bomber and enjoy it but I need to move on after it. I would not turn it down in the future but I don't think I would actively pursue it.

Thanks for reading

jackorain, Sep 14, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

After having enjoyed a few Stone beers in Southern California recently I found this beer at my favorite local beer store. Expecting another strong Stone beer I was not disappointed but rather a bit confused. This was a good beer start to finish but was unlike some of the other Stone products. I have not been fortunate enough to try some of the previous anniversary products but will stay on the look out now.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a chalice glass this beer poured a mahogany red amber with a tan full fine head. The head dissipated quickly and left some lacing at the top of the glass but little down the sides. Some head remained on to the finish. The floral hop profile was not as prominent as some of the other Stone beers which allowed the malts to show through. The immediate taste was also the malts with a tinge of hops and a long clean finish, which is highlighted by aspirating as you taste this beer. The body is medium to full and had a good amount of carbonation which was nice for the balance.

jnezda, Oct 23, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Very dark, hazy, cherry red color. the pour produced about one and a half fingers of tan head that receeded to a thin rim, and left some, yet unimpressive lace.

A: Very hop forward in the nose, I could smell them as soon as I cracked the bottle. Also get a good amout of caramel, and sweet malts.

T: This one is balanced quite nicely. I get a healthy amount of sugary, sweet malts, and a good dose of citrusy, and grassy hops. The beer finishes dry, with just a touch of the alcohol heat.

M: Rather full body. Has a syrupy mouthfeel, with light to moderate carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average here. At 9.5% ABV I will have no problem finishing the bomber. Overall, good offering from Stone, not my favorite of their anniversary seires, but none the less a solid choice. Skal.

Gtreid, Aug 29, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Very excited to try my third Stone Anniversary Ale as I soak in the wonderful sentiment expressed in the essay on the back of the bottle.

Beer pours a deep, almost candied red with a thick and foamy head that leaves a lacy film on the glass as it recedes.

The smell is a big hoppy aroma, which is expected from Stone beer and packing an added citrus sweetness to the usual hop pungency.

All is as expected, until the subtle flavor kicks in. This beer is mellow and soft on the palate, refraining from the massive hop wallop of brews like the Double Bastard. Don't get me wrong, the hops are present and still resonate, but in a different way, without the tongue scraping, which has been replaced by an uncommon smoothness. The heavy 9.5 ABV is well disguised, making for a very smooth and drinkable beer experience.

This subtlety and complexity is new for Stone and it's good to see that one of the best breweries in the US is still trying new things.

deapokid, Aug 17, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

22 picked up at the COOP on Friday.. I think for about $7.. but I don't remember exactly... poured into my shaped SA glass... I could easily smell this one at arms length even with the ceiling fan moving the air around.

Fairly aggressive pour brought up a thick custard like 2" tan head... the brew is an obvious hop hazed deeep amber brew.. very red and fairly hazy.

Wow.. the aroma is as advertised... thick nose hair coating hoppiness with a fair amount of caramel malts.. toasted biscuits come to mind.. and pithy grapefruit zest... already seems like too much of a good thing... a bunch of maltiness for sure.. but the hops blow things out of the water.

Flavor has the blast of almost tannic hoppy bitterness at the front.. gives way for a moment to a thick bodied caramel/toasty maltiness and that gets drenched in an oily hoppiness... citrus zest... white pith bitterness.. pine sap.. and chewing on evergreen needless with a punch of tangerine zest.

The body is thick... and carbonation pushes everything to the front.. hoppy burps that seem more flammable than any where near pleasant... finish just lingers for days.. sticky and oily.. wow.. I want to know how they did this one... impressive.

Unapologetic.. and no where near balanced.. but I am digging this one, but it is too brash... there is just toooo many things going on... the only reason I want another sip.. let alone another bottle is just to reaffirm the punishing beating my palate is taking..

JohnGalt1, Jul 28, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

13 already? It seems like 10th was just the most current one. Oh well, bottoms up!

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Victory willibecker a dark reddish copper. A 2-finger high cream-colored head forms on top and shrinks slowly to an undulating, large-bubbled cap.

SMELL: Though subdued, an excellent balance of malt and hops. The hops are resinous and sticky citrus and pine. Signature Stone. The malt is rich with deep caramels and a touch of roast and breadiness. Really, it's like a mini Arrogant Bastard.

TASTE: The hops come first in the same form as they did in the aroma. But they're presence in the forefront is short-lived as the bready malt asserts itself as the dominant flavor in the beer. As it crosses the palate, it only becomes more rich, but without any cloying sweetness. The finish is all roastiness and deep caramels, now with a bit of sweetness, ending in completely the opposite fashion of how it started.

MOUTHFEEL: Pretty significant in body, perhaps a bit much. Though it isn't terribly slick. The carbonation is at an average level.

DRINKABILITY: Good considering how beefy this beer seems to be. It does suffer from the same things that AB does in that all the flavors are so intense that you need to almost pace yourself with it. Still good though.

Not a bad choice, but the previous few anniversary ales have been so good that this one doesn't measure up. It's good to have a couple more bottles though.

jmalex, Jul 16, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Cracked open a 22 oz bottle today and poured into a pint glass. I've had this before many times on tap, but never reviewed

A - A dark caramel-red in color, with about a fingerwidth of head on the glass that dissipates after about 2 minutes. it leaves some lacing on the glass, and the head has a nice ring on top.

S - delightful. I get a sweetness of toffee, or caramel balanced by some hops on the back end.

T - Not as good as I remember it, sadly. On tap, it was so hoppy, and so fresh. It might have been the best imperial red I've had. On the bottle, it says enjoy as quickly as possible. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it quickly enough.
There is pine and woodiness galore from all of the hops in there, but it's not overkill. There's enough malt mixed in to make sure the hops don't kill your tastebuds. But it's not tasting as fresh anymore.

M - Medium bodied with some nice carbonation. A good balance.

D - Sort of lacking this late since it was released. I hope they make more of it as I absolutely love it on tap and filling my growler with it.

Kaiser81, Nov 18, 2009
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.