Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%

Appearance: Pours dark brown with a hint of red. The head is a nice frothy tan with good lacing.

Smell: Fresh pine needles

Taste: Like chewing on fresh pine needles.

I'm going to pour the rest of the beer out. I expected an anniversary ale from Stone to be intense, but it's intensely bad. It tastes like someone added pine needles to a blender of water and mixed.

2.59/5  rDev -36.2%

A: Poured into snifter, pours a dark red-brown, the color of black tea that's been steeping for a long time. Light brown-tan head, good retention.

S: Hops, floral notes, not as in-your-face as some of Stone's other offerings.

T: No shortage of hops - I have no idea how this doesn't qualify as some kind of IPA. And if I'm measuring it against other DIPAs, it doesn't stack up that well. On its own merits without reference to any style, it is solid enough. I did enjoy the malt presence that arises just before lingering hop bitterness takes over the finish.

D: If I'm going to wreck my tastebuds for the night I'd rather just have an outright DIPA.

Found a bomber of this for $6. For that kind of money and 9.5%, it's hard to argue against. I'll also add that this would be a good candidate for barrel aging. After the glory that was the Double Bastard aged in brandy barrels, I just think that extra layer would make it a much better limited edition release.

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

This is beer birthday cake, a product of obligation and not worth it in hindsight.

It's almost too vague for an accurate depiction and the saccharine-y sweetness is overwhelming. Imagine the tried and true Stone back of the tongue bitterness smothered in store bought icing.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

2.76/5  rDev -32%

This is a red hop bomb. Pours a dark cherry/ruby color with a very nice looking head. Not as chunky as it started out to be. Thinned a bit, but good lacing.
Hops in the aroma and taste. More pine and resin than citrus. The story on the back label says little about this beer, but gives thanks to all of their customers. OK, great. What am I drinking? Oh, well. Doesnt matter. It's hops. Totally misses the mark of the noted style above.

Still, this is one dimensional. No balance at all, and just stinging hops and alcohol. Little flavor to me. It was a good buy as I like the attempt. Malt didn't have a chance.

2.81/5  rDev -30.8%

A: Pours a deep and dark reddish/brown color. A two finger light tan head forms and sticks around for a minute. Good sticky lace is left behind.
S: Grapefruit, pine, and bitter hops. No sweetness in the nose, and therefor no balance.
T: Up front a large bitter grapefruit and resiny hop flavor. There is the slightest amount of caramel sweetness to balance. Even a hint of chocolate as the flavor lingers on and on. Though those flavors are very muted compared to the bitter hops.
M/D: A full body that is sticky, oily, and soapy. The bitterness, sticky feeling, and high alcohol all make this a hard beer to drink.

Pretty much what I though it was going to be. Another one for the bitter hop heads, and not for me. If Stone really wants to grow up, why don't they make a kick ass English Barleywine or Old Ale, and not another over hopped generic strong ale?

2.84/5  rDev -30%

Poured into 16oz pint glass.

It has a gorgeous, deep reddish-brown hue. Heavy carbonation resulted in a big head even with a soft pour, but it dissipated quickly.

A citrusy hops blast hits the nose right away. Little, if any, aroma presence from the malts can be detected.

It's all hops on the tongue, followed by some mild malt sweetness. It's got a big punch but little backbone to it.

Surprisingly for a 9.5% beer, it has pretty thin mouthfeel. Not what I would not have expected for a beer of this style or caliber.

As for drinkability, I had enough trouble finishing the bottle, I couldn't imagine having a second shortly thereafter.

This was definitely a disappointment, especially after a Stone rep really try to sell me on how amazing this beer was. Definitely not one of Stone's best efforts.

2.89/5  rDev -28.8%

A: Has a coffee like color dark but with a touch of cream maybe. 2 finger head and lacing has a pretty good cling to it.

S: Kind of a strange sweetness. A bit fruity, hoppy and malty all together. Hard to explain this one. Not too pleasant to me.

T: Quite malty as others have said with a barley wine quality. However once you swallow the hop character really kicks in. Not sure what Stone was going for here. Doesn't taste like anything else I ever had. I really don't care for it.

M: Kind of weak. Very thin to me but nicely carbonated.

D: Really doesn't seem like something I would care to drink lots of.

Nothing like I had hoped it would be. I would rate this under AB and definately under Double AB. Stone can't always be perfect even though 99% of the time they are.

2.91/5  rDev -28.3%

Reviewed from Notes, sampled 11/07/09

This beer pours a dark mahogany body with a thick off-white head.

Nose has a strong mix of chocolate, caramel, citrus, fruit and putrid garbage. It smells like a great Stone beer mixed with a homebrew slightly gone wrong.

Taste is medium to full bodied with a strong rich caramel malt flavor. Huge dark citrus hop resin with even more liquid hop resin. Malty, Malty malty. Big rich malt and tons of high alcohol. A slight infectious flavor drifts throughout the whole thing.

It's basically a mellow double bastard light that is slightly infected. It's odd, and kind of drinkable, but at the same time kind of gross. Sorry, I love you Stone, but this is a pass.

2.94/5  rDev -27.6%

I bought a few bottles of the 13th Anniversary in the summer, then I realized that these beers should not be cellared, so I decided to start drinking them.

As many reviews have stated, this beer has a beautiful appearance. Great color, great head retention.

The smell is a little stronger on the alcohol than I like, but it is a Strong Ale and is 9.5% ABV, so I guess that is to be expected.

The mouthfeel is more malty than hoppy, but different than the 11th or what is now the Sublimely Self Righteous (one of my favorites).

The finish is very bitter. Fine at first, but by the end of the bottle, you kind of tire of the bitterness.

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

22oz bottle purchased recently somewhere in the MA/NY area.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3 1" dark tan head over the slightly cloudy reddish brown brew. Head falls ever so slowly, with sporadic chunky lacing. Aroma is sweet maltiness, citrus and pine hops character, and ample alcohol. Taste is syrupy sweet upfront for a second, and then it's hops bitterness through and through, to a fault, with some alcohol burn at the close. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth except for the afterburn, and drinkability is eh. Guess they weren't thanking me with this one.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer struck me as not having much direction. Up front some roasted caramel flavors, followed by rather harsh and nondescript hopping that finished with a broad, bland bitterness. Not bad, but discordant and unbalanced. Better luck with next year's edition.

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours deep russet with a one-finger head. The smell is caramel, juniper, rubbing alcohol, witch hazel. The taste is astringent juniper, sweet toffee, and the numbing bitterness of grapefruit peel. The body is thinner than you'd expect, with low carbonation. It's just way too much work to drink this one. Why do we need Levitation times 2.1590?

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a tulip pint. The body was deep red leather and clear of sediment. The head was creamy tan and remained strong throughout.

Smell was earthy. Oranges and moist whole wheat bread. The alcohol really flourished as it warmed (too much).

Taste was rich and sweet. There was a lingering strong bitter aftertaste. Somewhat boozy. This one was too heavy and malty for me.

Mouthfeel was medium to full in body. Medium carbonation.

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Mahogany to red with a small head. A moderate amount of scattered lacing. A slight haze, but mostly a clear brew.

S - Hops! White pepper overshadows everything else. Grapefruit and spruce! Gumdrops? Caramel malt - sweet smell with a hint of vague fruitiness (melon?).

T - Hops! Grapefruit, spruce and prominent pepperiness. Caramel malt and slightly fruity gumdrops. Aftertaste is very bitter under a lingering sweetness. It is very sweet and almost pectin like.

M - High carbonation, very viscous, a bit refreshing at first, but then turns slightly dry.

D - There is a fine line between pleasant sweetness and what feels like drinking It is insanely thick and cloyingly sweet. I don't think I would have it again

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

brewed in june, 2009. DO NOT CELLAR, ENJOY IN 2009 written on bottle

pours a gilded bronze with a rising 2 finger head.

you can smell this when it pours and it smells ridiculous
floral and earthy notes with some hops

hops, sweet taste that turns kinda bitter followed by a toasty malt and chocolate.

kinda thick and flavor thats left goes fast

this beer would have been great in 09. its seen better days, but still not shabby

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, screen printed label. Typical Stone novel on the back. June 2009, with a note saying not to cellar.

Appearance: Pours a very dark reddish brown, haze that just a bit of light shines through. Nice off white head, good retention and lacing.

Smell: The aroma I'd expect from a big double IPA - lots of of sticky hops, but even more malt.

Taste: Hmm - doesn't quite deliver the flavor I was hoping for from the aroma. There is a lot of bitterness, but the hop flavor wasn't there, and the malt really wasn't as much either. Comes across a bit too bitter, and a bit thin.

Overall impression: It tastes to me like a DIPA that missed the mark - the aroma made some big promises that the flavor didn't deliver. Its a bit too bitter to be very drinkable. I still enjoyed it, but wouldn't go looking for more.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Served on tap at TND.

I thought this was a IPA/DIPA so I was surprised to see a dark beer with a deep brown with some red spots in terms of color. A rich dark tan head had great legs and left some gunk on the glass. Seeing that this ais a strong ale now, the color makes more sense. The smell was mostly citrus hop scent with some floral aroma hops as well. A nice sweet scent coming from the malt bill. Also getting some alcohol/nail polish scents. The taste is huge, but im not sure i enjoy it all that much. The hops are pleasant and highly citrusy with a caramel sweetness intertwined. This kind of reminds me of a much more drinkable Founders Devil Dancer, So i'm guessing the IBU's are up there. The feel is bitter and finishes a bit rough. The hops don't kill the palete but they do attack it. A medium feel with great carb within. With all that said I had a hell of a time finishing my pour because of the alcohol flavor hindering things a bit. These types of beers are just not my thing.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Bomber, poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights and a 2-finger cap of thick beige head. Good retention, decent lacing.

Huge fruity aromas- grapefruit, pineapple- but there's also some doughy/yeastiness that doesn't quite gel with the citrus for me for some reason. This distraction carries over into the flavors as well. There's bold caramel and roasted malts, plentiful bitterness and juicy citrus, plus some baked apples and a bit of cherry. Combined with a substantial booziness, this combination of flavors reminds me of Arrogant Bastard on steroids. Considering how much I love AB, this isn't a bad thing at all, but that sweet/tangy dough/yeasty quality really throws a monkeywrench into my enjoyment. Medium-full bodied, with moderate carbonation and a coating quality. If only there wasn't the doughy flavor clinging to my palate along with everything else, I'd be scoring this one a lot higher.

Overall impression: Couldn't really get into this. Not a bad beer by any means, but doesn't meet my expectations for a brewery I usually enjoy.

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

The bottle says "June 2009. Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009."

A - Poured into a pint glass, deep brown color like a brown ale, minimal head, but big bubbles.

S - Intake on some complex flavors, malty, almost barleywine ish.

T - Tastes like many barleywines. Malty with a good bitter hoppy taste on the throughout that lasts on the backend.

M - Carbonation was more than I expected, but wasn't a bad thing. Full bodied.

D - It is a rich complex tasting beer that took me awhile to get through the 22oz bomber. I enjoyed it, but not sure I would search to find this again.

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Dark Redish brown with a medium tan head

S: Has a piney hop smell that turns into a sweet raisony scent. Smells a bit boozy.

T: Has a nice piney bitterness but a clashing sweet maltiness that I can't say I like.

M: It's a little thick and nice and bitter.

D: The heavy hops make it more of a slow drinker and the strange maltiness makes it even slower.

Overall it feels like a nice heavy IPA mixed with your average malty brew. I can't say that this combo is my favorite. It's drinkable but not my favorite. I will say I didn't drink it in 2009 like the bottle suggests.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.