1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next › last »
Ratings: 712 | Reviews: 605 | Show All Ratings:
david18

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

i wasn't sure if this was a new beer. Sounds like it is. I was very surprised to see this was consider a red/amber ale. It's nothing like any of the beers in that category. It's much like a couple of the previous dark dipa anniv. ales release by stone.

A little hot but the malt is oustanding.

Tried this again in a bottle and I think this is their best Old Ale yet. Not as strong as the double but more than the regular Arrogant, this beer has excellent color, flavor, aroma and drinkability.

I changed my rating from the original review above.

07-05-2009 20:39:07 | More by david18
MusicmanSD

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Stone, and there is A LOT going on in this beer. It's kinda like Arrogant Bastard on balls, which kinda affects its drinkability. It looks like a dark red, lots of crystal malt to get the tint I'm assuming. Smells great, and tastes pretty clean for how much is going on. I'd say the final gravity is about 1.020 from the sweetness of it. The taste is really quite heavy. Glad they served this in an 8 oz. glass cuz it's hard to choke down fast, but really a great sipper.

07-03-2009 08:35:53 | More by MusicmanSD
sholland119

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at Fathead's. This is our first sighting of the beer. We, paying insufficient attention tot eh board, expected to get the 12th Anny. Until we tasted it. No Oaxacan chocolate in this baby.

A-Pours a rich dark amber with a sticky white head and some lacing.

S-Excellent hop bombing. Rich, grapefruit hops and lots of 'em.

T-Delicious. Full of flavor from front to back. Lots of good dark malts in the front, backing up a strong showing of pine and grapefruit hops from the middle through the finish. I will also quote from my friend Mauerhan's review as follows: "alcohol is not a factor. it is hidden like a fucking ninja in the trees. beautiful." Well said.

M-Rather heavy bodied for the style and, not surprisingly, quite oily.

D-Right up my alley style-wise, though it seems to me more like a DIPA with some darker malt character than a red or amber. But that is a minor quibble. Drink up!

HV

07-02-2009 14:56:28 | More by sholland119
Haslips

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I had high expectations for this beer after reading the advance reviews.

I had the opportunity to try this beer on tap at the Stone Bistro, and it was my starter beer....

Unfortunately, they only serve it an 8 oz glass because of the high (9.5%) alcohol content.

So to the beer itself.... poured an amber red with a light head that disapated quicky...

I was expecting a HOP hit on the first taste, but instead got a HOP/Malt balance. If this beer has an IBU above 90, I will be surprised, because it certainly doesn't hit the palate with a big bitter hop taste.

That said, this was a wonderful, very drinkable beer...I switched to an Arrogant Bastard, then a Sublimely Rightous Ale, and came back to the 13th for my last two beers .... It was much better and more drinkable than both.

at 9.5% alcohol, you would never know it (until it was too late) Most of the Stone aniversary Ales I have had needed aging to mellow, but this beer is ready to drink RIGHT NOW.

07-01-2009 03:17:44 | More by Haslips
SaCkErZ9

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Served in the growler from tap at the Charleston Beer Exchange in Charleston, SC.

Pours a dark, chocolate ruby color with a stout, taut white head. Generous lacing and great head retention.

As soon as the beer hits the glass, aromas of pine waft toward me and envelope me and tease me. Smell is overwhlemingly piney and gin-like. A solid caramel and slightly fruity maltiness also appears to keep this one in check.

More piney bitterness and pine flavors. The bitterness is almost perfectly balanced with the sweet caramel and fruitiness of the malt bill. So very well balanced.

This was a great beer, perhaps the best of its style; by style I mean hoppy reds. I was a bit timid and leary because I tend to shy away from "hoppy reds" because the hops seem to be lost in the malt, but this one has plenty of hop flavor, bitterness and aroma. The alcohol is so well hidden it seems like 5% abv. A real treat. Thankfully, my father bought this growler and shared with me or I would be missing one great treat. Hop lover, rejoice in the hoppiness of this red!

Serving type: growler

06-30-2009 23:59:16 | More by SaCkErZ9
« first ‹ prev | 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next › last »
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.