Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Had a fresh bottle over the summer but never took the time to review it. Luckily, I was given a 22 oz bomber as an unexpected Christmas gift.

A - Dark mahogany with tan head, 1 finger, recedes to a collar. Second pour gave large patches of sticky lacing.

S - Sweet malt and little if any hops present here. Possibly some herbal notes, maybe Willamette?

T - Big, BIG sweet malts. Toffee pudding and burnt caramel. Leafy/grassy hops up front, bitter grapefruit, hop resin, and herbal. Bitterness is a little stark for the sweet malts upfront.

M - Thinnish body, carbonation is nice and light. Bitter and herbal hops linger on the palate.

D - Alcohol is hidden extremely well behind those big flavors, little if any detectable heat. I remember this being much more bitter and hints of tropical fruits when it was fresh. After 6 months it's still drinking pretty well right now. (884 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber into a short stein. This beer pours a really pretty deep red/brown. The smell was that of a really good amber or imperial amber to me - lots of pine and hoppy smells but not overwhelming.

The taste is strong, with the same kind of profile. The malt holds up well and nothing is really overpowering to the taste buds. Still very complex, but the beer was so tasty that it became harder to be patient with the beer. The alcohol is somewhat noticeable at first, but once the beer starts coating your palate, it disappears for good. Extremely drinkable; I could easily go through a few of these quickly, but I'd be feeling it.

Another good ASA from Stone. (667 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pourd a deep, rich, beautiful mahogany with 3 fingers of head in a tulip glass.

The arome was a really complex blend of hops, strong pine, earthy/mulchy and a little snap of grapefruit.

The taste was an eyeopener, I love hops and drink lot of IPA's, but I was not prepared for the deep, complex hop profile. As strog as the hops were, the malt backbone was ablt to balance it nicely without ever stealing the show from the hops.

I couldn't help but think of this as a mirror image of the English barly wines I love so much. With the BW, there is just enough hop bitterness to support the malt. In this case, the hops were the star, with the malt foundation contributing just enough sweetness to make Stone 13th Anniversary spectacularly drinkable.

I will by more to cellar on the way home today (along with any other Stone I can find). (841 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A - orangey light brown, head went away quickly.

S - flowery, perfumy smell at first ( like persian ice cream..well you get the idea) then you can feel the alcohol in your nose

t-bitter and hoppy. After drinking it for a while, appears more complex. tastes like barley wines i've had.

m- mouthfeel is fine. Perfect for a beer like this. Not watery but not heavy. Not very carbonated.

d- I would order this in a bar if I came across it! Not a huge fan of hoppy beers, but I enjoyed drinking this one. This is the 2nd bottle I've had. I did age the first bottle for 6 months, which likely lessened the hop flavor considerably, and I found the 2nd bottle refrigerated in a store just now ( Dec. 2009). Fairly strong alcohol content, which can get you by surprise. (764 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A - Exceptional! Dark, almost ruby like color when held up to the light. The head is light, tan, but with enough substance to hold it's own throughout and leave some thick lacing on the side.

S - Complex but not completely there yet. It smells young, but that's to be expected. Some piney notes and over ripe citrus dominate at first followed by a hint of dark fruit and a rich caramel and malt finish. I can feel the burn of the alcohol in my nostrils.

M - Medium carbonation, medium body with a dry finish and a pretty good bit of warmth from the alcohol

T - Pretty good balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness but the alcohol is way too aggressive right now. Picking up some apple peel and bitter unripe citrus. I was expecting some more fruity esters after reading some reviews. It falls flat in the taste category but still good enough to finish by myself.

D - Not very drinkable right now. Should mellow out in a year or so. I'm going to lay some down for a while and review six months and one year from now. (1,060 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

This is an Imperial Red IPA clocking in at 9.5%. They have used more hops per barrel than any previous beer made. They hop it during the boil, then dry hop it once it cools, and then they dry hopped it one more time just before filtering, for good measure I suppose.

The hops come through, but the beer surely has a sweet, malty side as well. When poured it has a deep red, mahogany color with a rich, creamy tan head. The crystal and amber malt flavors shine through in the mid palette. The hops have a bitterness up front, and then carry on through the palette and stay for a long finish.

I would say that this beer is much more malt driven than most of the West Coast IPA's out there. There is a real quality to the expression of malt character in this beer. I am never sure what flavors, other than barley, to equate the "red" malt to, but this beer has a lot of it with tons of layers. The alcohol shows a bit too much, which is characteristic of Stone's beers, but is not offensive. Maybe a bit out of balance, but it is easy to tell that there was a great effort put into this beer. (1,091 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a beautiful clear amber with ruby highlights into a snifter. Two finger off-white head leaves nice spidery lacing as it dissipates.

Nose is hoppy with pine and grapefruit, bitter orange peel, a hint of alcohol and a bit of an underlying vanilla and caramel malt sweetness to round it out. Hops are the focus here and it's quite a nice profile.

Mouth is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation. Some hop oils making it silky and smooth and just a slight tilt toward dry as it goes down and the alcohol and bitterness take hold.

Taste is hop forward, piney, with a well-noticeable vanilla malt backbone kicking in some sweetness and adding a nice balance. Make no mistake, this is a hop bomb by any measure, but it has the malt chops to keep it from getting out of hand. Bitterness lingers on the tongue well after the last sip. As the beer approaches room temperature, the sweetness really opens up and brings in a bit of lemon zest as well.

Drinkability is good, as the balance keeps everything in check and doesn't fatigue your taste buds too quick. Drinking a bomber of this over a couple hours is a solidly enjoyable task.

Overall this is a well done brew from Stone. I've gotten rather accustomed to their special releases to be something to look forward to, and this doesn't disappoint. With a wealth of hoppy beers out there, this one is going to be easy to overlook as "average", but I would disagree with this. This is about as solidly well done as a beer in this genre can be and I'm glad I bought another bottle. (1,538 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

I've liked everything I've had from the Stone brewery, but this is exceptional. This one is definitely "thicker"-tasting than some beers, definitely owning up to American Strong Ale comparisons to Barley-wines.

This STRONGLY reminds me of the Big Bear Black Stout from Bear Republic.

The head is very small and very brief-- about a quarter of an inch and it disappears within ten seconds. It leaves a beautiful rim around the glass and the lacing is delicate and sticks to the glass well. The color is very coffee-pre-milk, and extremely clear.

I was very surprised and confused-- but happily so-- when I smelled and tasted this beer and was immediately hit with intense chocolate notes. The smell is pure chocolate cake. It is reminiscent of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, but the Stone beer seems smoother and less sweet. Definite bitter citrus and hoppy goodness, and chocolate-covered espresso beans.

It is incredibly easy on the palate and the gullet. It seems designed to help you forget that you're drinking a 9.5% beer. It also manages to easily quench thirstand is tasty and clean on the tongue.

A bottle could constitute a night and you'll want to stock up for later nights-- not too late, though, considering the label says not to cellar. You probably won't be able to keep from drinking it long enough to consider that anyway! (1,349 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

extremely dark with a rust colored hue, thick frothy three finger beige head that leaves tons of lacing.

Caramel malts, sweet, hop bitterness typical of stone, slight yeasty smell.

Hop bitterness leads, citrus hops mixed, alcohol present throughout, malty, slight biscuity flavors detectable. Piney/ grassy hops also noticable.

Full body, medium carbonation, warming.

Absolutely awesome beer, would love to drink more of them. (430 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a glass goblet (Dogfish "signature glass"). A: Darker than expected - a deep red/brown. Good clarity. S: Hops! Almost as good as raw hops. Very floral. T: Cirus and pine notes up front with a "ruining" bitterness at the end. Think Ruination Ale x 2. M: the strongest aspect of this beer for me. Despite the high ABV, it is not too thick. The head is dense and creamy - almost as if it came from a cask. D: I found this was better without food. Other flavors seemed to make the beer's bitterness overwhelming. To it's credit, the 22 oz. was easy to get through, despite the high ABV and bitterness. Great Beer. (621 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Served from a brown 22oz bottle

A thick red color small brownish tinted head with good retention

S- citris like hop aroma with some spice smells very fresh and clean

T- Milder than expected based on the smell quite smooth a very well balanced beer caramel malt flavor coming through with a bit of an oakyness as well

M- Again very smooth but a bit chewy on the back end not a bad thing ;)

D- Loving this every sip I take will run to buy more (455 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14%

A- pours a deep mahogany color with a light tan head, great lacing on the nonic pint, retained a head the entire time it was in my glass with no arousal
S- smells very sweet and floral, very green fresh smell, hops definitely come through on the nose
T- tastes unbelievable; floral, slight pine taste on the finish, has a great sweetness from the malt, finish is long and is to be savored
M- creamy texture, light carbonation, coats the pallet with flavor
D- very drinkable for the alc/vol, didnt notice the 9.5% until we were done

(two person review) (552 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3%

Filled a up a growler a few weeks ago at Greene's on Piney Grove here in Columbia, SC...

A: Looks great, nearly black...

S: The smell on this one is awesome, in my opinion... bursting with scents, caramel, maybe some blackberry... the smell really caught my attention here

T: The alcohol burn on this one bothered me a bit upon my initial try, but after a few more sips, the complexity of the flavors came through and started to grow on me

M: The feel here is good, somewhat creamy, right amount of carbonation...

D: Not exceptionally drinkable, IMO, but this is due largely to the higher ABV and thickness of the brew... still, a great sipping beer that I'm glad I tried... (679 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

The bottle says "June 2009. Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009."

A - Poured into a pint glass, deep brown color like a brown ale, minimal head, but big bubbles.

S - Intake on some complex flavors, malty, almost barleywine ish.

T - Tastes like many barleywines. Malty with a good bitter hoppy taste on the throughout that lasts on the backend.

M - Carbonation was more than I expected, but wasn't a bad thing. Full bodied.

D - It is a rich complex tasting beer that took me awhile to get through the 22oz bomber. I enjoyed it, but not sure I would search to find this again. (572 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this beer from a bomber into a 17.5 oz snifter.

The pour was nice. This beer is much darker than I expected. The head is slight and looks like espresso foam. The color is dark and turns red when held up to the lights.

The smell is malty with hops in the background. It almost smells like dried fruit and molasses.

The taste is big malt upfront and has a hoppy finish. Molasses comes out again. Once the beer warms up there is a strong alcohol bite.

Te mouthfeel is solid. It is thick but not syrupy.

Although this is not a syrupy brew, I dont see myself sessioning this beer. I would buy it again if I had the chance though. (637 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -36.2%

A: Poured into snifter, pours a dark red-brown, the color of black tea that's been steeping for a long time. Light brown-tan head, good retention.

S: Hops, floral notes, not as in-your-face as some of Stone's other offerings.

T: No shortage of hops - I have no idea how this doesn't qualify as some kind of IPA. And if I'm measuring it against other DIPAs, it doesn't stack up that well. On its own merits without reference to any style, it is solid enough. I did enjoy the malt presence that arises just before lingering hop bitterness takes over the finish.

D: If I'm going to wreck my tastebuds for the night I'd rather just have an outright DIPA.

Found a bomber of this for $6. For that kind of money and 9.5%, it's hard to argue against. I'll also add that this would be a good candidate for barrel aging. After the glory that was the Double Bastard aged in brandy barrels, I just think that extra layer would make it a much better limited edition release. (968 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: A dark beautiful ruby red color that borders on a rusty red. A thick, two finger tan head, that dissipates into a beautiful lacing that hugs the side of the glass gently sliding down with each drink.

AROMA: Right off the bat you smell the hops in this big Imperial Double Red Ale. The first note is a very heavy citrus, nay grapefruit, scent. I am guessing this is from the Chinook Hops in the brew, but it could also be the Centennial that are used in the dry hopping. There is also just a hint of pine in there. The beer has a smell that can only be described as resiny, (forgive me) 'dank' and beautiful.

FLAVOR: BIG! This beer is all about the hops, and has just a touch of an alcohol heat. The first thing I notice is the wonderful hoppy grapefruit/grapefruit rind flavor of the hops come through. There is slightest malt finish to it that is, in my mind, almost as if it were an afterthought.

PALATE: There is no doubt that this is a full-bodied beer, and definitely not for the beginner, or those into 'fizzy yellow beers' as Stone would say. There is a good deal of carbonation to it, which I noticed from the pour, but it is not overly carbonated. It has a slight but very noticeable heat to it, which isn't surprising to me at 9.5%. The heat does seem to become more noticeable the further I get into the second half of the bottle, and the closer it gets to room temperature.

NOTES: I am a total hop-head. A freak for the beautiful bitterness that can only come from Humulus lupulus, the hop plant. This definitely delivers. For this special release, Stone hopped the brew at four pounds of hops per barrel, more hops per barrel than any other beer they've produced. As mentioned it is a big 9.5%, which you can feel. I was getting a warmth from this beer half way through the 22 oz. bottle. It is available as a limited release in 22oz. bottles, and (very) limited tap. I would love to find this on tap somewhere just for the comparison. The 13th Anniversary Ale was released 06/29/2009, and is available while supplies last, so you have to get it when you see it. I was going to buy a few to cellar, but wrote Stone after seeing a note on the label, "Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009." When I received word back from Stone, this is apparently because the flavor profile cannot be guaranteed to last. They did not say it, but I am willing to throw out the guess that it is due to the amount of hops they are using in the beer, and the fact that the hop character is bound to mellow over time. All this said, I will be sad when I get the last drink of the final bottle of Stone 13th Anniversary. This was yet another great brew from the guys at Stone. (2,675 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Got this on a trip out of town to be enjoyed lakefront.

Very cool bottle poured into a glass mug (frozen - i was lucky to have a mug at the lakehouse - didn't think to bring my own). After pouring vigorously into the frozen mug, i watched in anticipation as the glass warmed up and the frothy, chunky, pitted tan head stood there waiting for me.

After the frost cleared, i was able to behold the deep red color. The head stayed with me the entire time. I may have even had a pure head sip at the very end.

It smelled of pine, grass and citrus.

It had a strong but balanced hoppiness. The warmer the beer got, the sweeter it was. In my notes that i am reading now it says "starting to taste red" - that's a strong beer!

Seriously, it was epic - just like Stone ought to be. (778 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle:

A: Dark red-brown, cola-like color. Solid head with persistent retention.

S: Strong hops smell followed by malt, aroma is pleasantly appropriate for a strong ale

T: Bitter throughout with undertones of smoked malt. Pine-citrus taste is apparent and sticks to the tongue

M: Dry finish, leaves the typical resin feel at the end. Medium body with mild carbonation

D: Definitely a beer to sit down with and explore. Wouldn't have it for anything other than a special occasion. (507 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

22oz Bomber poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Pours dark opaque red with a white, slightly foamy head. Head dissipates to a thin cream. Non existant lacing, but overall very nice looking.

Smell:
The smell of hops jumps out as you open the bottle. Citrus hops are almost overpowering. Very strong nose of hops, citrusy fruits, pineapple, and piney. Very bold, in your face nose.

Taste:
Woah -- the first drink left me speechless. The hops and the sweet citrus flavors come out on the front, which then moves to a very malty, very toffee and caramel like flavor -- completely different from the hop taste. Finishes pretty bitter but oddly crisp. Almost like three beers put into one bottle. Complex, but yet very well balanced.

Mouthfeel:
Definitely heavy bodied. Thicker and chewier than I expected -- almost like an imperial stout in texture. Somehow finishes creamy in texture. Executed very well. The low carbonation suits this very well.

Drinkability:
The ABV is apparent in the warming feeling, but it's not apparent in the taste. The high bitterness hampers its drinkability, but I don't think it was meant as a sessions beer. Very good, very tasty, and very unique.

If it didn't say "Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009." I would be tempted to cellar this beer. The flavors are complex, but very very tasty and very well done. I still might cellar this beer based on how much I like it. (1,395 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

It's all been said in some excellent reviews, all I would like add is so far this is the best beer I've tried from Stone. It's amazing how the smell goes from an IPA like citrus, flroral, pine to a malt in your face how you like my taste, kinda smell. I would also like to add I have a pretty good buzz right now (9.5%)!!, and I will be getting another bomber before they run out, the wifey will have to drive though!!!! (420 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Holy cow! I haven't had a beer grab my attention like this in a while. Stone has these things every year and they're generally pretty good -- certainly up to Stone's standards. But, they've outdone themselves on this one.

Pours a dark red. Perhaps a bit hazy. Very little residual yeast in my bottle.

The first thing that strikes you is how thick this feels in your mouth. It's like drinking a pint of jell-o. Probably its single most extraordinary attribute.

The head is impressively thick and stable. It stays put and does not diminish quickly.

If you are a hop lover, then this is your ticket. It doesn't have the outright bitterness of an IPA, but it has hops for real.

It is rare to find something this hoppy, strong, and thick in a single package. It's a rare gem. Go but one if you can get your hands on it. (819 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

June 2009, "Do not cellar."

I must say I chuckled at this.

Looks a deep amber, a bit like a wee heavy with a beautiful head and lacing that rescues it from the monotony.

Smells wonderful. Fresh cut grass, hops, and grapefruit. Love it. Looking forward to that first sip.

Hits hard! Lots of hops and malt up front. The beer brings a "shock and awe" that lets you know immediately it's a Stone Ale. Lots of dark fruits, apricot and some grapefruit on the follow through. What a brew! Lots of hops on the finish with some light wood flavor.

It's a sharp, thick beer that makes no bones about what it is. It's uncompromising. It is worth trying, to be sure. However, it's definitely not something I'd go to on a regular basis. (727 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Review from past notes...

A - Poured a reddish mahogany color with nice head.

S - Citrus and fruits with definite hops presence.

T - Strong citrus, possibly grapefruit with some other fruits. Hop bitterness stays afterwards.

M - Full bodied, thick and smooth.

D - Very drinkable even with the high abv.
Would love to see them do this one again. (349 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a tulip from a 22 oz. bomber. I've got to say, this is one of the most attractive looking bottles I've seen. I understand that the artwork has nothing to do with the quality of this beer, but it sure does stand out.

A- A deep mahogany with glowing red highlights . Nicely carbonated. Loose tan head with some lacing that lingers.

S- Very hoppy and very fragrant. Pine scents lead the floral and citrus bouquet but there is an almost barley wine sweetness to the scent.

T- Much like the smell, there is a lot of hops to meet the palate immediately. This has an unmistakable malty sweetness and warmth in the center and then it finishes dry with a subtle grainy sweetness that holds on between sips.

M- Medium to full bodied. 13 coats my tongue with the hop-oils and bitterness.

D- Some big beers hide the ABV better than others. For me, that doesn't always reflect the quality of the beer. IMO, 13 definitely has an alcoholic character to it, but it seems to fit quite well. I definitely could not drink multiple 13's in a sitting, but I will definitely seek this one out again. (1,095 characters)

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.