1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next › last »
Ratings: 712 | Reviews: 605 | Show All Ratings:
Overlord

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours amber, not red. Maybe some ruby highlights if I hold it up to a car's high beams.

Surprisingly robust and long lasting off-white head.

Smells like bitter hops. Maybe some grapefruit in there, too. I don't know ... I was expecting a bit more of a malt or tropical fruit presence .... or maybe a bit more balance. This is kind of like a more subdued tongue buckler in the aroma, when I was expecting a juicier, maltier impy red.

Tongue Buckler is the beer that comes to mind in re: the flavor. Grapefruit/orange rind, bitter piney hoppiness ... maybe a smidgen of lighter citrus ... but it isn't a complex beer. And, frankly, not as good as much of Stone's regular lineup. There's some toffee/caramel malt lingering about, but the hops take over.

It's listed here as an American Amber/Red, and while it fits that style, I was expecting more of a 2006 Alesmith Decadence style Imperial Red, with a f***-ton of sticky malt to complement a complex hops presence. Blindfolded, I'd think this was a perhaps slightly sweeter than normal IPA. You get some balancing agents, but basically, it's a bitter brew.

Smooth and drinkable with a good mouthfeel. Somewhat boozy.

As the years pass, Stone's 10th anniversary IPA shines brighter and brighter.

07-01-2009 09:47:52 | More by Overlord
mikedashg

4.75/5  rDev +17%

A- A generous dark dark red amber, almost brown, pour into my pint glass from a 22oz bomber. A very generous carbonated tan head that sticks around for a bit and bubbles away. Extremely stick lacing that just hangs on the edge of the glass and doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

S-Wow, smell those hops. Citrus, pine, spice. Pretty in your face as far as aroma goes.

T- Quite a shocker right up front. Lots of hops of course right away. They hit you immediately. followed by citrus, pine, brown sugar, toffee and spice. But what's this? A clean malty finnish. The hops hang on your tounge for a while, but not as much as you would think for the initial bite.

M- Very crisp. Moderate carbonation. Actually pretty refershing. My only downside to this one at all would be the body. A little on the thin side for how big this one is. Can't win em all. It's still good, just not great :D.

D- About the darkest red I've seen. Smells and tastes great. The In your face hops right up front followed by the clean finish just makes you want more. For as hoppy as this brew is, it sure has a great malt backbone.

07-01-2009 03:49:55 | More by mikedashg
Haslips

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I had high expectations for this beer after reading the advance reviews.

I had the opportunity to try this beer on tap at the Stone Bistro, and it was my starter beer....

Unfortunately, they only serve it an 8 oz glass because of the high (9.5%) alcohol content.

So to the beer itself.... poured an amber red with a light head that disapated quicky...

I was expecting a HOP hit on the first taste, but instead got a HOP/Malt balance. If this beer has an IBU above 90, I will be surprised, because it certainly doesn't hit the palate with a big bitter hop taste.

That said, this was a wonderful, very drinkable beer...I switched to an Arrogant Bastard, then a Sublimely Rightous Ale, and came back to the 13th for my last two beers .... It was much better and more drinkable than both.

at 9.5% alcohol, you would never know it (until it was too late) Most of the Stone aniversary Ales I have had needed aging to mellow, but this beer is ready to drink RIGHT NOW.

07-01-2009 03:17:44 | More by Haslips
SaCkErZ9

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Served in the growler from tap at the Charleston Beer Exchange in Charleston, SC.

Pours a dark, chocolate ruby color with a stout, taut white head. Generous lacing and great head retention.

As soon as the beer hits the glass, aromas of pine waft toward me and envelope me and tease me. Smell is overwhlemingly piney and gin-like. A solid caramel and slightly fruity maltiness also appears to keep this one in check.

More piney bitterness and pine flavors. The bitterness is almost perfectly balanced with the sweet caramel and fruitiness of the malt bill. So very well balanced.

This was a great beer, perhaps the best of its style; by style I mean hoppy reds. I was a bit timid and leary because I tend to shy away from "hoppy reds" because the hops seem to be lost in the malt, but this one has plenty of hop flavor, bitterness and aroma. The alcohol is so well hidden it seems like 5% abv. A real treat. Thankfully, my father bought this growler and shared with me or I would be missing one great treat. Hop lover, rejoice in the hoppiness of this red!

Serving type: growler

06-30-2009 23:59:16 | More by SaCkErZ9
stawn

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Consumed 6/29/09 (release date)

Poured into an Imperial pint glass @ 50 degrees. Immediately emerges a translucent wicked black cherry color. The huge tan head is composite of big foamy bubbles.

Smells like angels otta smell! Hops, hops and hops. Citrus, sweet pine and a tiny hint of alcohol.

Holy hops! Exploding on your tongue like a crack of a whip. This is a hop BEAST. YUMM!

I can hear it yelling "this is gonna hurt you, more than its gonna hurt me". This puts a new definition on "you're not worthy"!

There is a solid spine of malt here, but it bows down at the feet of hops. Alcohol warmth sneaks in near the after taste, warning me again that this monster will not be tamed! REALLY smoothes out as it warms, but the hop bitterness never lets up.
Well done Stone, well done.

06-30-2009 22:32:47 | More by stawn
« first ‹ prev | 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next › last »
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.