Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
4.83/5  rDev +19%

Consumed 6/29/09 (release date)

Poured into an Imperial pint glass @ 50 degrees. Immediately emerges a translucent wicked black cherry color. The huge tan head is composite of big foamy bubbles.

Smells like angels otta smell! Hops, hops and hops. Citrus, sweet pine and a tiny hint of alcohol.

Holy hops! Exploding on your tongue like a crack of a whip. This is a hop BEAST. YUMM!

I can hear it yelling "this is gonna hurt you, more than its gonna hurt me". This puts a new definition on "you're not worthy"!

There is a solid spine of malt here, but it bows down at the feet of hops. Alcohol warmth sneaks in near the after taste, warning me again that this monster will not be tamed! REALLY smoothes out as it warms, but the hop bitterness never lets up.
Well done Stone, well done.

stawn, Jun 30, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +19%

A 22oz bottle found at my local liquor store. Aged 2 years. Bottle says drink fresh, enjoy by 2009. Oops.

A - A cloudy, amber/brown color. 0 clarity. 1 finger of head, and sticky lace all over the place

S - A boozy smell of caramel, sweet aromas. Very, very boozy. Probably because the hops have faded, not leaving the alcohol much to hide behind

T - Sweet caramel, malty, boozy. The hops have faded, but it is fantastic. Definitely a sipper beer

M - Thick, full bodied, wow.

O - An amazing strong ale. I never had it fresh, but I can imagine what it was like, and I honestly think aging helped this beer. This is some sweet nectar from the gods...

BeerDawgs, Feb 18, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Already had several of these, just like every year. 22oz bomber into an Old Guardian chalice.

A: Dark, clear red. Very nice.

S: Lots of pine backed by dark cherry. Some light citrus with a hint of caramel. Complex nose.

T: Wow, where to begin? Begins with the very bitter pine...sometimes...other sips start with the sweet cherry taste. Depends on whether or not you let the last taste finish. Kinda reminds me of Old Guardian blended with Double Bastard. As always, every range of bitterness and maltiness rears it's lovely head at some point. In short, this tastes exactly like a Stone beer, which is a great thing. Balanced, smooth, and delicious. I can't get enough of this, really.

M: Thick and creamy...just right for this brew.

D: Didn't notice the alcohol, but I'd bet you wouldn't survive many of these, though you'd want to. Knocked me around pretty good.

Notes: I'm certainly impressed, and I'll be sad when this is no longer available. IMO this is better than everything they have brewed outside of Old Guardian and Double Bastard. Decidedly recommended.

therealnod, Jul 06, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

A- deep dark incredibly beautiful blood red when held up to the evening sun with just a shred of a tangerine highlight. on the outside it looks plum purple. thick like oil when it pours from the bottle. tan head is extremely leathery on the top surface, which is centrally pock marked. spotty lace and foam retention are ridiculously good for such high ABV, the thing almost refuses to shrink smaller than 1/2inch until i start swirling.

S- boy does this smell good. i could probably go on for days about what i smell. firstly it's pine and grapefruit, which jumped out as soon as i cracked the bottle. mandarin orange, tangerine, passionfruit, mango, pineapple, cedar, sandalwood, leather, coffee, cocoa, caramel, alcohol that smells like hops, oregano, rosemary, brandy saturated grains, raisin, prune, fig, date, sherry. all the aromas that i love are within. like an arrogant bastard on meth.

T- plenty bitter, not overboard, with with an insane amount of hop flavor. when i read the promo on stone's website, i was delighted to see the bill of chinook, centennial, and simcoe. hop flavor leans on the pine-tar-herbal-woodsy side of things with a spicy zesty peppered grapefruit bitterness. from start to finish it feels like i'm swallowing pure hop oil. some toasted and caramel flavors bounce around in the back along with cocoa and coffee flavors. dried orchard fruits, menthol, leather, maduro cigar, black cherry, and notes of peat smoke. finishes unquestionably hoppy with some caramel sweetness beginning to creep back in, showing that this demon can balance and play nice with others. strong ale, imperial red, whatever, this is a freakin masterpiece.

MF- oily and acidic, medicinal, with the numbing feeling of opium on my tongue. viscous with lively medium-low carbonation and that astringent feeling of alpha acids glued to my cheeks. when i burp it's a total rush of pine and grapefruit citrocity. and no, that is not a real word. well, it wasn't. until now.

D- head brewer mitch steele should be walking around with a boner all day. one for being a top dog at stone, and two for creating this garnet hued lady lucifer of a bitch to celebrate what some would deem to be the most unlucky of anniversaries. this stuff isn't super drinkable, i'll be honest. it's a hoppy monster. and even though i love it, if i had a case i still wouldn't have more than one. mostly cuz it would put me on my ass, but fundamentally because it's that damn delicious. and rich. and double dry hopped. i need a glass of milk.

hustlesworth, Aug 19, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Served in the growler from tap at the Charleston Beer Exchange in Charleston, SC.

Pours a dark, chocolate ruby color with a stout, taut white head. Generous lacing and great head retention.

As soon as the beer hits the glass, aromas of pine waft toward me and envelope me and tease me. Smell is overwhlemingly piney and gin-like. A solid caramel and slightly fruity maltiness also appears to keep this one in check.

More piney bitterness and pine flavors. The bitterness is almost perfectly balanced with the sweet caramel and fruitiness of the malt bill. So very well balanced.

This was a great beer, perhaps the best of its style; by style I mean hoppy reds. I was a bit timid and leary because I tend to shy away from "hoppy reds" because the hops seem to be lost in the malt, but this one has plenty of hop flavor, bitterness and aroma. The alcohol is so well hidden it seems like 5% abv. A real treat. Thankfully, my father bought this growler and shared with me or I would be missing one great treat. Hop lover, rejoice in the hoppiness of this red!

SaCkErZ9, Jul 01, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Almost opaque almost black red body with a red-tinted head that takes a few minutes to dissipate. Damn pretty.

S: Mostly pine and grapefruit hops.

T: The grapefruit comes out a lot more than I thought it would in the actual taste, with a bit of a fruity sweetness balancing it out. But what really lingers is the grapefruit, which is really most of what this beer tastes like, in the best possible way.

M: What I noticed most about this beer is how smooth it goes down. The carbonation is just right. It's a little lighter-bodied than some Stone beers I've tried. It doesn't make your mouth all sticky. But I dig it.

D: Probably the most drinkable beer Stone has ever made. Really, really easy to drink. And damn tasty, too.

electricfields, Aug 15, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

22oz Bomber poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Pours dark opaque red with a white, slightly foamy head. Head dissipates to a thin cream. Non existant lacing, but overall very nice looking.

Smell:
The smell of hops jumps out as you open the bottle. Citrus hops are almost overpowering. Very strong nose of hops, citrusy fruits, pineapple, and piney. Very bold, in your face nose.

Taste:
Woah -- the first drink left me speechless. The hops and the sweet citrus flavors come out on the front, which then moves to a very malty, very toffee and caramel like flavor -- completely different from the hop taste. Finishes pretty bitter but oddly crisp. Almost like three beers put into one bottle. Complex, but yet very well balanced.

Mouthfeel:
Definitely heavy bodied. Thicker and chewier than I expected -- almost like an imperial stout in texture. Somehow finishes creamy in texture. Executed very well. The low carbonation suits this very well.

Drinkability:
The ABV is apparent in the warming feeling, but it's not apparent in the taste. The high bitterness hampers its drinkability, but I don't think it was meant as a sessions beer. Very good, very tasty, and very unique.

If it didn't say "Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009." I would be tempted to cellar this beer. The flavors are complex, but very very tasty and very well done. I still might cellar this beer based on how much I like it.

WaXHeLL, Jul 13, 2009

On tap at the Gingerman, NYC:

A: Nice, dark body with a small off-white head with great lacing, good retention.

S/T: This beer has everything going on. It's got a great porter-like malt base, nuts, spices, and fruit, and then a great, long-lasting herbal-fresh hop finish which keeps going and going.

M: The hop finish is amazing. Flat out.

D: Everything is right with this imperial porter-like beer. It has a bunch of things going on, and all in great proportionate balances. Happy Anniversary, Stone.

dudecandle, Jul 24, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

I really hate it when my reviews seem to be so generic but when i scored this beer I loved everything. Centennial hops were very nice and noticeable. Still had some malty character to it while being one of the most badass hop centered beers I have had. I found the whole beer very well rounded. Poured a creamy colored foam head that didn't stick for very long but did lace the glass slightly. Also has a very nice rich red color. I'm pretty sure this brew is what heaven smells like. My roommate even noticed the smell from the other side of the room. Very powerful hoppy scent. It is kinda close to Arrogant Bastard is taste but other than that A spectacular brew.

Rhynes2, Oct 22, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +17%

This beer pours darker than expected, but has a wonderful deep mahagony color with a subltle tan head.

The aroma is earthy citrus hops, tangerine and grapefuit flow nicely with piney resins. Hops hops hops,mmm hops.

At first taste the hops nail you. A harsh bite that is immediately smoothed by the buttery smooth malt bill. The most impressive thing about this ale to me is even though they are useing 4.5 pounds of hops per barrel, the beer is quaffable, the malt flavor somehow balances this beer out. Extremely well done

Mouthfeel is reminesiant of a typical pale ale, medium body with a semi dry finish

The drinkablility of this beer is suprising. 9.5% abv and 90+ IBUs made me think this would be a splitter beer. But I am almost through 3/4 the 22oz bottle and am ready to keep on enjoying. Like I said this beer is suprisingly balanced but the hops are the star. This is a great way to start the 14th year of the brewery. mm m mmmm

LukeD23, Aug 25, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +17%

A- A generous dark dark red amber, almost brown, pour into my pint glass from a 22oz bomber. A very generous carbonated tan head that sticks around for a bit and bubbles away. Extremely stick lacing that just hangs on the edge of the glass and doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

S-Wow, smell those hops. Citrus, pine, spice. Pretty in your face as far as aroma goes.

T- Quite a shocker right up front. Lots of hops of course right away. They hit you immediately. followed by citrus, pine, brown sugar, toffee and spice. But what's this? A clean malty finnish. The hops hang on your tounge for a while, but not as much as you would think for the initial bite.

M- Very crisp. Moderate carbonation. Actually pretty refershing. My only downside to this one at all would be the body. A little on the thin side for how big this one is. Can't win em all. It's still good, just not great :D.

D- About the darkest red I've seen. Smells and tastes great. The In your face hops right up front followed by the clean finish just makes you want more. For as hoppy as this brew is, it sure has a great malt backbone.

mikedashg, Jul 01, 2009

mostfadedone, Aug 13, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Got this in my neiborhood liqior store in a 22 oz. bottle. It poured a deep mahogany with a thick, foamy head that lasted till the glass was finished. Big hop aroma with fruity sweet undertones. Hops are first noticed on the tasted buds followed by a nice malting backing. I loved this beer and even though it was medium bodied I had no problem finishing this beer. Definitely a good brew for anyone who loves hops.

madpentzer, Aug 04, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

i wasn't sure if this was a new beer. Sounds like it is. I was very surprised to see this was consider a red/amber ale. It's nothing like any of the beers in that category. It's much like a couple of the previous dark dipa anniv. ales release by stone.

A little hot but the malt is oustanding.

Tried this again in a bottle and I think this is their best Old Ale yet. Not as strong as the double but more than the regular Arrogant, this beer has excellent color, flavor, aroma and drinkability.

I changed my rating from the original review above.

david18, Jul 05, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This stuff finally arrived in my area today! Poured from the bomber into my snifter. Pours a dark red/brown color with nice ruby highlights when held to the light. Slightly tan head was about 1/2 inch thick when poured settles to a very nice surface coating with a nice thick ring surrounding the inside of the glass. Decent lacing. Aromas of piney hops and some citrus, along with a nice malty presence as well. The dry hopped taste immediately hit my palate upon the first sip, with the aforementioned pine and citrusy grapefruit flavor also coming through nicely. The taste is rounded out with a nice roasted caramel malt sweetness. The hop bitterness does tend to dominate though, even as the beer warms up a bit. The hop bitterness certainly lingers as an aftertaste. Wow! Stone continues to blow me away! This beer has a sort of thick, chewy, and oily mouthfeel that coats the palate. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Becomes easier do drink as it warms a bit. I was very impressed!

Eric

neenerzig, Jul 17, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours an incredibly deep red. The head has an oily/soapy gleam from all the hop resins. Right after pouring the flavor is raucous, almost overwhelming. Like a war between tastes in your mouth. As it settles it gets calmer though, that is when it gets dangerous.

As with a lot of Stone's brews, it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it is. If my supply wasn't so limited I could really get in trouble with this one. The second glass I poured (from 22 oz bomber) was gone almost as fast as it was poured.

Never really tasted anything like this, but I will be tasting it again. My challenge now is just to have the discipline not to drink it all so I can share with friends :)

AlexCuse, Jul 19, 2009

Served from a 22oz into a tulip glass

Pours much darker than I expected with a thick beige head. Massive smell of citrisy/grassey hops with notes of alcohol. When tasting you again get that massive hop flavor but underneath you can still taste a hint of the smooth maltyness. The after taste lingers with the bitterness of the hops and dryness from the alcohol. Creamy mouth feel.If it wasnt for the smell I would never guess 8.5% alcohol. Chalk another one up for Stone.

JoePat, Aug 01, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pourd a deep, rich, beautiful mahogany with 3 fingers of head in a tulip glass.

The arome was a really complex blend of hops, strong pine, earthy/mulchy and a little snap of grapefruit.

The taste was an eyeopener, I love hops and drink lot of IPA's, but I was not prepared for the deep, complex hop profile. As strog as the hops were, the malt backbone was ablt to balance it nicely without ever stealing the show from the hops.

I couldn't help but think of this as a mirror image of the English barly wines I love so much. With the BW, there is just enough hop bitterness to support the malt. In this case, the hops were the star, with the malt foundation contributing just enough sweetness to make Stone 13th Anniversary spectacularly drinkable.

I will by more to cellar on the way home today (along with any other Stone I can find).

diechipmunk, Sep 21, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Bought this as a one time purchase, loving nearly all of the Stone offerings, with few exceptions. (I love the stories on the bottles, too... :P They are usually what prompts me to try something new from them...)

I was first intrigued by the "Do Not Cellar - Enjoy In 2009" phrase prominently plastered on the side of the bottle. The "fine wines" of beer, Stones like to rest usually, but who am *I* to argue? So, I followed the instructions to the letter! My first review, of hopefully many, and I hope I don't bore!

A - Dark... Beautiful, dark-reddish body. Roughly the color of a good strong cup of french-roast coffee. Very nice, dense, but short head, that disappears quickly, leaving a nice, thin lace on the glass, accompanied by a beige foam film, lasting the entire glass.

S - Hops! I love a big strong hoppy beer, and this beer did NOT disappoint. Alcohol notes are stronger than expected, but not overblown. Chocolatey undertones to the nose. By now, I was ready to taste this thing!

T - For the BudLight "afficionado", a semi-blinding flash of grapefruit peel and bitter hops, reminiscent of The Ruination IPA, but a bit more subdued. Oh, the hops! Very good bitter/floral flavor, marks this as a very high on the "Stone Favorites" list. Fantastic malt, piney, oakey, and small hints of coffee and chocolate, with even a small orage juice thing going on in there. Did I mention the hops? Alcohol notes strengthen on finish, but never seem "too much", and subue quickly.

M - A clean, but odd and difficult to describe "syrupy" or "thick" feeling. Not unpleasant in the least, it actually helps the finsh last, which in this case is really nice. Almost an asparagus taste in there, as well... Perfectly carbonated in my opinion, not a real carbonation burn at all. Clean and too short a finish, sadly. This one you won't mind enjoying slowly.

D - Alcohol notes are perfectly balanced by the hops, (both the stars of this show, and after all, why are we drinking beer?) and as mentioned, a VERY nice offering from Stone. The relative potent 9.5%ABV will warm you quickly, and it's quite a nice feeling. You will know it's on the way - no sneaking up on you with this one... :)

A highly recommended offering if you can find any. I went back to buy two more cases! Get this one while you can, folks! If a "big beer" is what you're after, they really don't come much bigger than this one! The Stone guys love to release really nice "limiteds", and this one won't disappoint.

haemphyst, Nov 12, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

On-tap 7/25/09 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a dark reddish brown color, with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts, some citrus and a lot of hops.

T: The taste starts with a strong burst of floral hops that is quickly followed by a nice compliment of caramel & citrus sweetness and some roasted malts, creating a very nice balance. The after-taste is hoppy and sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, strong kick, excellent representation of the imperial red IPA style, this is a great high-octane beer to drink for an entire evening.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 26, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Beautiful dark chocolate brown with a two inch head that stayed put the whole time and wonderful lacing

S- Lots of dark fruit- cherries, grapes, and blackberries, as well as some coffee

T- Strong cherry flavor with coffee, chocolate, and a smoky finish

M- Thick but smooth, if that makes sense, with a very good aftertaste

D- Strong ABV but I'd put up with it to have a couple. Oh Stone, why do you make such great beer for such a short time?

wangbruins, Nov 04, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A- pours a deep mahogany color with a light tan head, great lacing on the nonic pint, retained a head the entire time it was in my glass with no arousal
S- smells very sweet and floral, very green fresh smell, hops definitely come through on the nose
T- tastes unbelievable; floral, slight pine taste on the finish, has a great sweetness from the malt, finish is long and is to be savored
M- creamy texture, light carbonation, coats the pallet with flavor
D- very drinkable for the alc/vol, didnt notice the 9.5% until we were done

(two person review)

pourmeup, Oct 12, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A - A dark dark mahagony color with a tan colored head. Muc lacing.

S - Powerful pine hops are backed with rich fruity hops. a Dark caramel and roasty smell are also present.

T - A initial sweetness is overpowered by the strong fruity and floral hops. A malty and caramel taste are present behind the ridiculous amount of delicious. A piercing bitter taste is left with the after taste of hops.

M - Thick and highly acidic with medium to low carbonation. Goes down smooth for what is is containing.

D - A wonderful beer that I enjoy unequivocally. Once again...Great Job Stone!

mdmako, Aug 25, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

22 oz bottle sampled last year shortly after release in OH. Review from notes.

The first whiff is all hops, perhaps more on the nose than any I've had the pleasure to sniff. Taste is ultra smooth, though. It is RED, as a taste! Weird to say that, but it's true. Bold, but great. Super hoppy, but with enough great malt to balance it. Aftertaste creeps up on you like a skunk..

sixerofelixir, Apr 16, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Again, another July treat!

A: This beer is pretty dark. For a Strong Ale it has a nice dark ruby color that presents a beautiful frothy white head. Not to mention a fine lacing in the glass.

S: I smell something that resembles hoppy funk. It's basically like the smell of Arrogant Bastard on steroids. A bitter smell that let's you know, this beer means business.

T: Bitter and hoppy! To the max! Again, like an AB on steroids, but a taste that grew on me. The more I drank, the more I wanted. A fruity and earthy taste came through towards the end. Again, I want more.

M: Medium carbonation. Not much different than most Stone beers.

D: This baby is bitter! It doesn't take away that much from the drinkability but I could tell it was higher ABV.

Overall this beer is outstanding. No doubt it's worthy of being apart of Stone's "Anniversary" collection. I drank a bomber of this before an Incubus concert a few days before this review and let me tell you, I was hammered. Of course I was drinking a bevy of other beers before, but you get the hint.

BigAl723, Jul 29, 2009
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.