Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Cracked open a 22 oz bottle today and poured into a pint glass. I've had this before many times on tap, but never reviewed

A - A dark caramel-red in color, with about a fingerwidth of head on the glass that dissipates after about 2 minutes. it leaves some lacing on the glass, and the head has a nice ring on top.

S - delightful. I get a sweetness of toffee, or caramel balanced by some hops on the back end.

T - Not as good as I remember it, sadly. On tap, it was so hoppy, and so fresh. It might have been the best imperial red I've had. On the bottle, it says enjoy as quickly as possible. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it quickly enough.
There is pine and woodiness galore from all of the hops in there, but it's not overkill. There's enough malt mixed in to make sure the hops don't kill your tastebuds. But it's not tasting as fresh anymore.

M - Medium bodied with some nice carbonation. A good balance.

D - Sort of lacking this late since it was released. I hope they make more of it as I absolutely love it on tap and filling my growler with it.

Kaiser81, Nov 18, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at The Trappist in Oakland. Pours dark brown, ruby highlights.the aroma on this thing is outstanding. Huge hop aroma of pine and citrus jump out of the glass. I didn't know what to expect but with stone, I guess I should have known. They nailed the dry hopping on this one. Flavor is good, but the buttering is a bit over done IMO. It would have been nice to taste some of the dark malts, ore anything but bitterness. It really detracts from the drinkability too.

In all, it's well worth a quaff, especially if you're a skull crushing hop head, but. Can't see myself having more than one glass.

TheEremite, Aug 06, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark mahogony with a thick cap of kakhi-colored foam that endures for quite some time, leaving ropes of foam lacing in its wake as I drink it down.

The smell is bitter hops and carmel malts that brought a little bit of tenuous excitement from me, I was a little apprehensive from the nose but also interested.

The taste was molases sweetness that hit the mouth up front quickly followed by a dry bitter hop and a lingering sweetness that hovers around in the mouth long after the brew has been swallowed.

donteatpoop, Aug 13, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

A: A dark brown with a slight reddish hue, an inch and a half head off a medium pour, as the head drops it leaves a few sticky patches and a rocky top - 3.50, S: Malt seems to be the first smell to step forward followed by some piney hops, thick and caramelly - 3.75, T: A hearty beer all-around, starts with a tongue thrashing from the hops - grapefruit pith, pungent and almost puckering, there's also a solid malt backing creating a syrupy sweetness, reminds me of a rum-soaked raisin pudding, alcohol is noticeable and a little distracting - 3.75, M: Medium bodied and creamy - 4.00, D: I enjoy all the hops, this reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, enjoyable and drinkable - 3.50

deereless, Aug 29, 2009

Mattco, May 31, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Slightly hazed red ochre with a two finger thick head of rocky foam that lingers long.

Aroma of bright citrusy hops.

Flavor initially of big hops, lots of orange peel and grapefruit, morphing to pine. Malt slowly emerges, inserts some notes of caramel and dark bread, and then gets pushed back down again by assertive hops and aggressive bitterness. Distinct ABV warmth.

Mouthfeel is even, but has moderate carbonation, lots of tingles and warmth from hops and alcohol. Average drinkability. Tasty beer, but perhaps a bit out of balance for the style? Thanks to barleywinefiend for sending this one my way.

far333, Sep 29, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark ruby color with a nice, thick tan head. Great retention and good lacing. This one is darker than I expected and the foam retention is phenomenal.

Smell is tropical, floral and grassy hop goodness. Solid, but light-ish malt nose consisting of earthy and toffee sweetness. Sourdough bread and some fruits, something like a urinal mint - in a good way.

Piney and resinous hop flavor with some earthy and floral character. It's bitter, dont get me wrong, but not as much so as I was expecting from Stone as the flavoring hops shine well here. The slightly toasty, toffee malts are there, and remind me of burnt homemade biscuit bottoms. Mouthfeel is somewhat oily and slick. Not a bad brew, but I liked the 12th better. I think I will pick up another and see what happens to it a year down the road.

twiggamortis420, Sep 23, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a dark, rusty, copper-brown color. Small cap of off-white head left just a bare minimum of lace on the glass.

S: Aromas of dark, roasty malt, dark fruit, metals, caramel, toffee, and nuts.

T: See above, with hints of citrus, cherry, and more toasty/roasty malt.

M: Bitter, dry, and twangy. Rough, astringent finish.

D: Drinkability was better than I expected, but we felt a little let down by this beer. I guess maybe we weren't in the mood for the style.

GbVDave, Nov 21, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Red body with a thick, yellowish frothy head.

N: Hop nose with a DME-like big malt finish.

F: Chinook-like hop blast flavor with strong malt. Is this a barleywine? Seems like it to me. Good alcohol burn, not unexpected at 9.5%, massive malt presence.

M: Toothstripping with a slight astringent quality.

D: Good drinkability. A sipper, but in a good way. Very Double Bastard like to me.

ghostwalker, May 27, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Had this D's in Monroeville, PA.

Poured in a goblet, a dark molasses color with cola highlights, a finger of head that rests at a thin gauze with bubble islands. No lacing.

Smell hit me with bright, pine hops all the way. The taste was similar: hoppy, bitter, some woody flavor. A bitterness like edible fruit skins (apple, grape) hit around the middle, followed a tiny bit of chocolate-y malt.

Mouthfeel is strong but smooth, coats the mouth & leaves things bitter. Spit-thickening, I assume from the residual sugars.

This was definitely a big brew, with lots of flavor but a little too much for this wussy. The big flavor & encroaching booze makes it a sipper. Good, but I think I'll stick with the one. Gotta say, the 12th Anniversary was more up my alley.

OneDropSoup, Aug 21, 2009

zestar, Jul 19, 2014

Irrationalist, Feb 16, 2014

Eriktheipaman, Jan 09, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone you weird bastards what the hell is this thing?

The appearance is cool. It has a really really dark amber color and if I am not totally losing my mind I think that it has very faint hues of purple in it. It came with a small half finger head and left quickly. The lacing on this one it thick though, just molesting my glass with gooey mess.

The smell is awesome. You can smell the Stone hops that they use, terrific.

The taste is weirdly good. I do not believe that this is a strong ale, but an Imperial Red Ale, wait is that the definition of a strong ale? The strong ale definition is so loose that a lot of brews coming out these days are strong ales. Either way, malt and hops, but more light malt than anything. Did you hear what they did to this thing?!?
"This is the first time we've ever released the Imperial/Double Red style.
2 We used more pounds of hops per barrel than any beer we've ever made.
3 We used Chinook hops in the brewhouse for bittering and flavor, then dry-hopped this beer with a 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Centennial.
4 As an added bonus, we then dry-hopped it again, just prior to filtering and packaging. That's right, our popular double dry-hopped process, for the first time ever in one of our bottled beers! "

Unfortunately it is not as good as it might sound. I think they might of overloaded this thing with two many ingredients. It kind of tastes a little blundered and confused. There is deffinetly a malt and hop presence, but I feel like they are fighting each other too much.

I would buy this again and drink it for sure. I recommend for anyone that likes Red Ales, Stone IPA, and hop bombs. It is for sure a unique brew.
J

Jmoore50, Jul 13, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pours a cola color with amber hues. Head is unimpressive.

S: The best part about this beer. It is like sticking your nose into a bag of American hop cones.

T: Darker roast caramel malts do their best to compete with the hop bitterness. The complexity rivals that of black coffee.

M: Medium bodied with somewhat of a lingering finish.

D: I doubt I'd want to follow it with another bomber, but it was a good beer.

gameface23, Jul 12, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at Big 10 pub in Madison. Nice dark brown beer with a small head.

Smells like hops. A little bit of sweetness too.

Taste like hops, hops, and more hops malt is slightly there but not much.

Decent mouthfeel though its pretty strong and not the most drinkable brew.

Another solid hoppy beer from Stone.

crossovert, Aug 08, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Beer is dark brown, with a slightly amber hue. Light brown head, that doesn't last.

Smell is mostly dominated by the hops. Smells mostly spicy with a bit of citrus. Smelling something similar to pine.

Taste is BITTER! All bitterness on the front (and resinatting throughout). Warming spices on the middle, like cloves maybe. The back is a thickly sweet and syrupy malt. Strong malt flavor.

I actually think this would be a good Christmas Ale.

Smooth but also, very bitter on the mouthe. This is by design, of course.

This beer is good to drink because it tastes so good, but I wouldn't drink several, although I know it's not meant for that, because of the strong bitterness, and also because there is so much going on.

Overall, a good beer, I would enjoy it more in winter.

lflow, Aug 21, 2009
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.