Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
2.27/5  rDev -44.1%

Sorry, but I have to wonder what went wrong here. Did Stone really brew this? They're one of my favorite breweries, hence extreme confusion.

Pours a dark copper, looking like mahogany in the glass, forming a fluffy tan head that leaves considerable lacing.

Aroma is pleasantly hoppy at the bottle top, but turns harsh and plasticky after resting in the glass. It stinks like a homebrew made with skanky extract.

Flavor is charred and cloying, leaving unpleasant characters on the tongue. Negligible hop flavor, believe it or not.

Drinkability is rotten. The last half of this is going down the drain. This beer is a huge disappointment. Last time I brewed one this bad, I never shared it with friends. This tastes like a failed homebrew. Sad that this cost me $7. I'm going to go have one of their terrific Sublimely Self-Righteous to cleanse the palate.

2.14/5  rDev -47.3%

Not sure what the deal is here - I've had this on tap and loved it enough to cellar one, but it was terrible on Stone Winter Storm. I even had Bill pour it for christ sake!

A - Weridly thin look almost like someone had spilt coffee into the glass. Slightly hazy with a good head - but not the thick opaque drink I was expecting.

S - Not very hoppy with some of the specialty coming thru but not very much. Odd as its very heavily hopped.

T - Underwhelming. Hops are bitter in a bad way, like dull and stingy not bright and citrusy. Specialty is there but not very robust. Even after warming

M - Bad bad bad. Very thin despite the creamy head. Syrupy imperial type taste but in a bad way.

D - I thought this would be great, but quickly moved on. First time I've thought about returning a beer. Could be a bunk keg - but again it was at Stone ya know?

1.92/5  rDev -52.7%

A- Copper with a very dark beige head. Colossal, eruptive head. Big set of lace draperies hang from inside of the glass.

S- Fresh-squeezed, bright grapefruit juice and zest aromas race up from the glass. The problem? The hop aromas so dominate the aromatic profile of the beer that one has little chance of savoring the malt aroma or any other complexities.

T- Fresh-squeezed, bright grapefruit juice and zest flavors blitzkrieg the palate. The problem? The hop flavors so dominate the flavor profile of the beer that one has little chance of savoring the malt flavor or any other complexities.

M, D- A big beer from a great house, but I am bound to opine that the shrill hops are oppressively overbearing! I must respectfully beg the pardon of drinkers who love this overly astringent style, but it doen't appeal to me at all.

1.83/5  rDev -54.9%

22oz. bomber poured this into a 16oz tulip glass

A - Beer pours a dark brownish hazelnut color with a finger of off white head which retains some nice lacing around the glass. Very little carbonation is visible

S - Aroma of heavy sweet malt, bitter chocolate, muted hops and strong alcohol are all in play in this beer.

T - Overpowering malt flavor combined with what I will call an "off flavor" of bitterness to the beer. There is a strong alcohol presence with a slight hint of hops in the finish. This was a difficult beer to drink and I could not finish the bomber.

M - Light to medium carbonation with a hot flash of alcohol on board. The balance of the profile is strong malt and alcohol.

D - There were elements of the finish that were tasteful but I could not get through the overwhelming "off flavor" in the beer. It is possible that this could have been a bad bottle but I am not certain. I really enjoy the Stone offerings but this was an exception to the rule.

1.61/5  rDev -60.3%

Had this on tap tonight at the Falling Rock Stone event.

Dark copper color with white head. Smell and taste are hops hops and more hops. Wow, I can't remember the last time I had such a hoppy beer. It was probably the last time I had a Stone beer. Just demolishes the drinkability and flavor profile. After about four sips I had to order something different. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and medium carbonated.

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.