Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a deep reddish copper color, with a thick haze, and a huge rocky tan head that holds for quite some time. Once the head settles, plentiful lace lines the glass all the way to the bottom.

Big malt aroma, maybe a little sugary, with moderate-to-strong citrus and resinous hop notes.

Big malty punch in the flavor as well, with some toffee, mixing with a strong grapefruit rind hop element. Finishes with a medium-strong hop bitterness, that is somewhat offset by a pretty noticeable alcohol burn. Bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste.

Medium-full body, with moderate carbonation. Reasonably thick on the palate, with a clearly evident alcohol warming coming out.

The main detractor for me is the strong alcohol bite in the finish. It fights for attention with the hops going down, and takes away from the experience a bit. It's still a very good beer, but the battle for attention the the finish keeps it from being excellent. (941 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

a: clear ruby red color, thick head slowly settles to half finger thickness, thick frothy lacing remains, minor carbonation flowing to the top
s: strong piny hops with some citrus and spice aromas
t: in your face piny hops from start to finish, with nice sugary, malty middle and spices, finishes with moderate malts but alcohol and hops knock you upside the head as bitter black licorice taste lingers
m: medium body, moderate carbonation throughout
d: solid brew, another hop-heavy from stone, unfortunately hops in the finish over the top for me, making it more difficult to finish (584 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz. bottle served in my DT tulip. Poured a deep mahogany with a one and a half inch, dense, creamy off-white head; good retention and interesting swaths of lacing. Nose reveals grapefruit and pineapple with some floral hops kicking around in the back. A medicinal hops character hits you in the face upfront and the bitterness lingers around the finish, with some malt and booze in the middle - the fruity esters that come out in the nose or somewhat masked by the over the top hops presence. Mouthfeel is between light- and medium-bodied and just shy of prickly across the tongue. There's also a bit of an oily quality in the mouth, as well as a little alcohol heat. Interesting brew, but the complexity suggested by the nose is quashed by all the hops. I know American Strong is somewhat of a catchall style; however, this one somewhat lends its character to a DIPA. Not bad, but I was hoping for more of an interesting flavor profile to this. (947 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a bomber into a mug.

Pours a dark reddish brown color. Huge three finger head retains very well, eventually fading away to lacing. Nice looking beer.

Obviously, the aroma is very hoppy, though not as hoppy as I had expected. Big grass, pine, and citrus peel, but a decent malt backbone is present.

There's actually a pretty good malt flavor up front, which is then immediately crushed by some serious hop bitterness. The variety of hop bitterness from the nose (grass, pine, citrus) is also present in the flavor, though it has been amplified considerably. Alcohol warms the drying, bitter finish. The aftertaste? Bitter. As the beer warms, the alcohol gives it a solvent-like flavor in the finish.

Body is on the fuller side of medium. Appropriately carbonated. Somehow a smooth drinker.

Another in-your-face hop bomp from Stone. I might pick up more to put a little age on them. (898 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Slightly hazed red ochre with a two finger thick head of rocky foam that lingers long.

Aroma of bright citrusy hops.

Flavor initially of big hops, lots of orange peel and grapefruit, morphing to pine. Malt slowly emerges, inserts some notes of caramel and dark bread, and then gets pushed back down again by assertive hops and aggressive bitterness. Distinct ABV warmth.

Mouthfeel is even, but has moderate carbonation, lots of tingles and warmth from hops and alcohol. Average drinkability. Tasty beer, but perhaps a bit out of balance for the style? Thanks to barleywinefiend for sending this one my way. (609 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Had this D's in Monroeville, PA.

Poured in a goblet, a dark molasses color with cola highlights, a finger of head that rests at a thin gauze with bubble islands. No lacing.

Smell hit me with bright, pine hops all the way. The taste was similar: hoppy, bitter, some woody flavor. A bitterness like edible fruit skins (apple, grape) hit around the middle, followed a tiny bit of chocolate-y malt.

Mouthfeel is strong but smooth, coats the mouth & leaves things bitter. Spit-thickening, I assume from the residual sugars.

This was definitely a big brew, with lots of flavor but a little too much for this wussy. The big flavor & encroaching booze makes it a sipper. Good, but I think I'll stick with the one. Gotta say, the 12th Anniversary was more up my alley. (764 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A: A dark brown with a slight reddish hue, an inch and a half head off a medium pour, as the head drops it leaves a few sticky patches and a rocky top - 3.50, S: Malt seems to be the first smell to step forward followed by some piney hops, thick and caramelly - 3.75, T: A hearty beer all-around, starts with a tongue thrashing from the hops - grapefruit pith, pungent and almost puckering, there's also a solid malt backing creating a syrupy sweetness, reminds me of a rum-soaked raisin pudding, alcohol is noticeable and a little distracting - 3.75, M: Medium bodied and creamy - 4.00, D: I enjoy all the hops, this reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, enjoyable and drinkable - 3.50 (686 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

13 already? It seems like 10th was just the most current one. Oh well, bottoms up!

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Victory willibecker a dark reddish copper. A 2-finger high cream-colored head forms on top and shrinks slowly to an undulating, large-bubbled cap.

SMELL: Though subdued, an excellent balance of malt and hops. The hops are resinous and sticky citrus and pine. Signature Stone. The malt is rich with deep caramels and a touch of roast and breadiness. Really, it's like a mini Arrogant Bastard.

TASTE: The hops come first in the same form as they did in the aroma. But they're presence in the forefront is short-lived as the bready malt asserts itself as the dominant flavor in the beer. As it crosses the palate, it only becomes more rich, but without any cloying sweetness. The finish is all roastiness and deep caramels, now with a bit of sweetness, ending in completely the opposite fashion of how it started.

MOUTHFEEL: Pretty significant in body, perhaps a bit much. Though it isn't terribly slick. The carbonation is at an average level.

DRINKABILITY: Good considering how beefy this beer seems to be. It does suffer from the same things that AB does in that all the flavors are so intense that you need to almost pace yourself with it. Still good though.

Not a bad choice, but the previous few anniversary ales have been so good that this one doesn't measure up. It's good to have a couple more bottles though. (1,429 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark mahogony with a thick cap of kakhi-colored foam that endures for quite some time, leaving ropes of foam lacing in its wake as I drink it down.

The smell is bitter hops and carmel malts that brought a little bit of tenuous excitement from me, I was a little apprehensive from the nose but also interested.

The taste was molases sweetness that hit the mouth up front quickly followed by a dry bitter hop and a lingering sweetness that hovers around in the mouth long after the brew has been swallowed. (506 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

i found this beer to be a typical stone beer. the color was more of an amber color, something simular to hopback by troeg. the taste was quite hoppy with a clean finish. the several different hops used created a wonderful layered aroma. personally i was disappointed by this beer, being a stone limited release project i wanted more than what i got. that being said this a wonderful expression of what good hops can do in a beer. (429 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

22 picked up at the COOP on Friday.. I think for about $7.. but I don't remember exactly... poured into my shaped SA glass... I could easily smell this one at arms length even with the ceiling fan moving the air around.

Fairly aggressive pour brought up a thick custard like 2" tan head... the brew is an obvious hop hazed deeep amber brew.. very red and fairly hazy.

Wow.. the aroma is as advertised... thick nose hair coating hoppiness with a fair amount of caramel malts.. toasted biscuits come to mind.. and pithy grapefruit zest... already seems like too much of a good thing... a bunch of maltiness for sure.. but the hops blow things out of the water.

Flavor has the blast of almost tannic hoppy bitterness at the front.. gives way for a moment to a thick bodied caramel/toasty maltiness and that gets drenched in an oily hoppiness... citrus zest... white pith bitterness.. pine sap.. and chewing on evergreen needless with a punch of tangerine zest.

The body is thick... and carbonation pushes everything to the front.. hoppy burps that seem more flammable than any where near pleasant... finish just lingers for days.. sticky and oily.. wow.. I want to know how they did this one... impressive.

Unapologetic.. and no where near balanced.. but I am digging this one, but it is too brash... there is just toooo many things going on... the only reason I want another sip.. let alone another bottle is just to reaffirm the punishing beating my palate is taking.. (1,472 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a dark, rusty, copper-brown color. Small cap of off-white head left just a bare minimum of lace on the glass.

S: Aromas of dark, roasty malt, dark fruit, metals, caramel, toffee, and nuts.

T: See above, with hints of citrus, cherry, and more toasty/roasty malt.

M: Bitter, dry, and twangy. Rough, astringent finish.

D: Drinkability was better than I expected, but we felt a little let down by this beer. I guess maybe we weren't in the mood for the style. (564 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is very dark red or amber in color. It has a nice tan head and good lacing.
S: This is the best part of this beer. It has typical Stone hoppy aromas that smell Like citrus pine and grapefruit. Very typical smell of California DIPA's.
T: This is where it falls apart for me. It tastes like they used too many bittering and dry hops and not enough late addition. Very bitter and grassy flavor at the end. Very strong body so it needs the hops to stand out, but I much prefer SSR or Ruination.
M: It has good carbonation but leaves a sticky hop oil residue that is umpleasant compared to some of their other beers.
D: I don't think I would ever want to drink more than one. This is the 2nd time I have had this and I won't ever buy it again even though it is almost gone. SSR and Ruination are much tastier and easier to drink. (836 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a very dark ruby with earthier tones near its heart.Solid white head hangs out on top. Fades fairly quickly but leaves a solid ring around the top of the beer. Tons of lacing left on the glass. Awful Perdy.

Smells yummy. Huge pine with some sweeter grapefruit notes. Underneath is a touch of alcohol. Lots of nice caramel hitting up the back with some toasted nuts.

This is nearly a highly hopped barley wine. There's lots of dark fruit going on. Some fig and date and raisins. You've got the other side coming through now, some grapefruit, lemon, orange, and small pine. Heavy on the bitter side.

Sticky and chewy. Nicely carbonated. Finding it pretty smooth here.

The drinkability is good from a "the alcohol is not overwhelming" perspective, but the high bitterness puckers the lips a bit and devastates any other flavors you hope to experience. (858 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

After having enjoyed a few Stone beers in Southern California recently I found this beer at my favorite local beer store. Expecting another strong Stone beer I was not disappointed but rather a bit confused. This was a good beer start to finish but was unlike some of the other Stone products. I have not been fortunate enough to try some of the previous anniversary products but will stay on the look out now.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a chalice glass this beer poured a mahogany red amber with a tan full fine head. The head dissipated quickly and left some lacing at the top of the glass but little down the sides. Some head remained on to the finish. The floral hop profile was not as prominent as some of the other Stone beers which allowed the malts to show through. The immediate taste was also the malts with a tinge of hops and a long clean finish, which is highlighted by aspirating as you taste this beer. The body is medium to full and had a good amount of carbonation which was nice for the balance. (1,020 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone you weird bastards what the hell is this thing?

The appearance is cool. It has a really really dark amber color and if I am not totally losing my mind I think that it has very faint hues of purple in it. It came with a small half finger head and left quickly. The lacing on this one it thick though, just molesting my glass with gooey mess.

The smell is awesome. You can smell the Stone hops that they use, terrific.

The taste is weirdly good. I do not believe that this is a strong ale, but an Imperial Red Ale, wait is that the definition of a strong ale? The strong ale definition is so loose that a lot of brews coming out these days are strong ales. Either way, malt and hops, but more light malt than anything. Did you hear what they did to this thing?!?
"This is the first time we've ever released the Imperial/Double Red style.
2 We used more pounds of hops per barrel than any beer we've ever made.
3 We used Chinook hops in the brewhouse for bittering and flavor, then dry-hopped this beer with a 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Centennial.
4 As an added bonus, we then dry-hopped it again, just prior to filtering and packaging. That's right, our popular double dry-hopped process, for the first time ever in one of our bottled beers! "

Unfortunately it is not as good as it might sound. I think they might of overloaded this thing with two many ingredients. It kind of tastes a little blundered and confused. There is deffinetly a malt and hop presence, but I feel like they are fighting each other too much.

I would buy this again and drink it for sure. I recommend for anyone that likes Red Ales, Stone IPA, and hop bombs. It is for sure a unique brew.
(1,678 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours a cola color with amber hues. Head is unimpressive.

S: The best part about this beer. It is like sticking your nose into a bag of American hop cones.

T: Darker roast caramel malts do their best to compete with the hop bitterness. The complexity rivals that of black coffee.

M: Medium bodied with somewhat of a lingering finish.

D: I doubt I'd want to follow it with another bomber, but it was a good beer. (420 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Told not to cellar, BUT I'M A MAVERICK. I had a few of these fresh a few years back and thought they were quite good, so I saved one for a 5 year tasting. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Dark red with pretty decent head formation. Reading previous reviews, it seems the head does develop over time. The agitator in the Duvel tulip certainly doesn't hurt, I'm sure.

S: I read the 2012 reviews and saw a lot about the alcohol. I'm really only getting a little of that, so I guess the extra 2 years have really helped on that front. Some toffee and sweet malts up front, with a slight hint of currants.

T: Very, very sweet, caramel and molasses dominate. I think a year earlier would've been a better call for this, but I was bound and determined for a 5-year review. That currant/raisin flavor sticks around a bit. Decently long finish - honestly, a minute or so after the last sip is when this beer gets really interesting, with the raisins and molasses dominating.

M: Medium- to full-bodied, surprised the rest of the flavors don't stick around longer.

O: This one was pretty solid fresh (wish I would've reviewed it back then), but 5 years really is too long. I could see maybe 3 or 4 being worthwhile. I don't really get Stone's insistence that you "Do Not Cellar. Enjoy in 2009." I had this as part of a 3-year vertical in 2010, with 2008, 2009, and 2010 anniversaries, and I recall 2009 standing out above the others (and those were pretty solid fresh). I remember thinking I had a gem on my hands but I guess it was just slightly too long. (1,547 characters)

22oz bomber poured into Nonic Pint Glass
Pours a dark ruby, dark red color with patchy lacing on the glass
Smells of piney and citrus hops up front, sweet, bready caramel malt, some alcohol but not bad
Taste of citrus hops up front with that bitter bite that I love, overcomes a real bready malty syrupy sweet and then finishes with the hop bitterness in the back. Maybe not as balanced as i usually like..maltiness kind of overpowering
Mouthfeel was a medium feel with real sticky taste left, medium carbonation, had a boozy heat
Overall, a pretty good beer by Stone, but I wish I would have had it when it was fresher. I think the hops mellowed out a little bit and I think this beer would have been better fresher,but thats my fault letting it chill for a while. (765 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark ruby color with a nice, thick tan head. Great retention and good lacing. This one is darker than I expected and the foam retention is phenomenal.

Smell is tropical, floral and grassy hop goodness. Solid, but light-ish malt nose consisting of earthy and toffee sweetness. Sourdough bread and some fruits, something like a urinal mint - in a good way.

Piney and resinous hop flavor with some earthy and floral character. It's bitter, dont get me wrong, but not as much so as I was expecting from Stone as the flavoring hops shine well here. The slightly toasty, toffee malts are there, and remind me of burnt homemade biscuit bottoms. Mouthfeel is somewhat oily and slick. Not a bad brew, but I liked the 12th better. I think I will pick up another and see what happens to it a year down the road. (810 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Very dark, hazy, cherry red color. the pour produced about one and a half fingers of tan head that receeded to a thin rim, and left some, yet unimpressive lace.

A: Very hop forward in the nose, I could smell them as soon as I cracked the bottle. Also get a good amout of caramel, and sweet malts.

T: This one is balanced quite nicely. I get a healthy amount of sugary, sweet malts, and a good dose of citrusy, and grassy hops. The beer finishes dry, with just a touch of the alcohol heat.

M: Rather full body. Has a syrupy mouthfeel, with light to moderate carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average here. At 9.5% ABV I will have no problem finishing the bomber. Overall, good offering from Stone, not my favorite of their anniversary seires, but none the less a solid choice. Skal. (862 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

That's a nice looking beer. Man, is that a nice looking beer. Pours rich and thick, tiny tan bubbles in a good-sized head. That head lasts and lasts... Beautiful ruby/amber color - so deep and rich. Nice red color shines through, just a little.

Smells citrus floral and grassy. On the bitter side of citrus - grapefruit or something.

Oh. That's crazy. Interesting. Whoa. What? I guess it's like an IIPA in the mouth. Lots of different hop stuff going on but mostly subdued. Kinda strange. A tiny zap of bitterness at the end and she's done. Only, ha, fooled you! It keeps getting dryer and more bitter the longer it's been since you had any in your mouth. Thus, as with hot peppers, you're encouraged to drink more - to keep that dry, bitter aftertaste from coming on. Ha! Thankfully all of the crazy hops and bitterness and whatever have sweet maltiness to balance them out. Interestingly, my first taste was only of the malts... Like, well, it takes time for the hops to come on but they truly are like hot peppers - slowing sneaking up and then thwacking you on the head, er, tongue. And there are all kinds of hop things going on - it's not strong in citrus (that was the nose). It's not overpowering in pine but you sure get that. It's crazy. You should try it!

With a touch more carbonation, really not much, this would be spot on.

And while I've lavished all of this praise on it... I probably won't go out and buy any more. I prefer my beer more subdued and more balanced. Hey - compared to a Pliny this is Westy 12 but it's still way too hop forward and bitter especially a minute or two after you've swalled it for my taste. (1,638 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Cracked open a 22 oz bottle today and poured into a pint glass. I've had this before many times on tap, but never reviewed

A - A dark caramel-red in color, with about a fingerwidth of head on the glass that dissipates after about 2 minutes. it leaves some lacing on the glass, and the head has a nice ring on top.

S - delightful. I get a sweetness of toffee, or caramel balanced by some hops on the back end.

T - Not as good as I remember it, sadly. On tap, it was so hoppy, and so fresh. It might have been the best imperial red I've had. On the bottle, it says enjoy as quickly as possible. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it quickly enough.
There is pine and woodiness galore from all of the hops in there, but it's not overkill. There's enough malt mixed in to make sure the hops don't kill your tastebuds. But it's not tasting as fresh anymore.

M - Medium bodied with some nice carbonation. A good balance.

D - Sort of lacking this late since it was released. I hope they make more of it as I absolutely love it on tap and filling my growler with it. (1,052 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a clear deep dark amber ruby color with a very light tan head that retains quite well and leaves nice lacing.

Nose is mostly hops, but some caramel malt like aromas are lurking in there. Metallic Pine like hops are prominent though.

Hmmm. Pretty interesting, but far from delicious. Certainly a decent beer, but really fairly boring. The malty base is there, but it is alot like the malt profile in an old-ass IPA. The hop profile is ok, but really just blatantly bitter, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but when there isn't enough flavor to back it up, its less enticing.

Mouthfeel is good, viscous without being overbearing. Carbonation is dead on though.

Drinkability is very good for the abv. Although, the flavor kind of detracts from it.

Overall, i am pretty uninspired and unimpressed on this one from stone. It's ok, its not a bad beer, its just so damn boring. Aside from the bitterness, this really tastes like an old DIPA. I would drink it again, but certainly wouldn't purchase it again. Meh (1,020 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

22 oz. bottle served in a snifter glass. Pours a clear mahogany color with a decent frothy tan head, good lacing throughout. Aromas is caramel malts, pine, citrus, grapefruit and spicy hops, bread, and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is caramel malts, pine and citrus hops, a nice fruitiness, a touch of alcohol, and a hint of wood. Mouthfeel is smooth, a little creamy, finishes dry and fairly bitter. Good beer, nice and hoppy. (423 characters)

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.