Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)

TimH, May 19, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

brewed in june, 2009. DO NOT CELLAR, ENJOY IN 2009 written on bottle

pours a gilded bronze with a rising 2 finger head.

you can smell this when it pours and it smells ridiculous
floral and earthy notes with some hops

hops, sweet taste that turns kinda bitter followed by a toasty malt and chocolate.

kinda thick and flavor thats left goes fast

this beer would have been great in 09. its seen better days, but still not shabby

ikantspel, Dec 01, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer struck me as not having much direction. Up front some roasted caramel flavors, followed by rather harsh and nondescript hopping that finished with a broad, bland bitterness. Not bad, but discordant and unbalanced. Better luck with next year's edition.

Brent, Mar 04, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours deep russet with a one-finger head. The smell is caramel, juniper, rubbing alcohol, witch hazel. The taste is astringent juniper, sweet toffee, and the numbing bitterness of grapefruit peel. The body is thinner than you'd expect, with low carbonation. It's just way too much work to drink this one. Why do we need Levitation times 2.1590?

gory4d, Jul 12, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

A - Mahogany to red with a small head. A moderate amount of scattered lacing. A slight haze, but mostly a clear brew.

S - Hops! White pepper overshadows everything else. Grapefruit and spruce! Gumdrops? Caramel malt - sweet smell with a hint of vague fruitiness (melon?).

T - Hops! Grapefruit, spruce and prominent pepperiness. Caramel malt and slightly fruity gumdrops. Aftertaste is very bitter under a lingering sweetness. It is very sweet and almost pectin like.

M - High carbonation, very viscous, a bit refreshing at first, but then turns slightly dry.

D - There is a fine line between pleasant sweetness and what feels like drinking It is insanely thick and cloyingly sweet. I don't think I would have it again

mrasskicktastic, Sep 16, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, screen printed label. Typical Stone novel on the back. June 2009, with a note saying not to cellar.

Appearance: Pours a very dark reddish brown, haze that just a bit of light shines through. Nice off white head, good retention and lacing.

Smell: The aroma I'd expect from a big double IPA - lots of of sticky hops, but even more malt.

Taste: Hmm - doesn't quite deliver the flavor I was hoping for from the aroma. There is a lot of bitterness, but the hop flavor wasn't there, and the malt really wasn't as much either. Comes across a bit too bitter, and a bit thin.

Overall impression: It tastes to me like a DIPA that missed the mark - the aroma made some big promises that the flavor didn't deliver. Its a bit too bitter to be very drinkable. I still enjoyed it, but wouldn't go looking for more.

rowew, Aug 14, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Bomber, poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights and a 2-finger cap of thick beige head. Good retention, decent lacing.

Huge fruity aromas- grapefruit, pineapple- but there's also some doughy/yeastiness that doesn't quite gel with the citrus for me for some reason. This distraction carries over into the flavors as well. There's bold caramel and roasted malts, plentiful bitterness and juicy citrus, plus some baked apples and a bit of cherry. Combined with a substantial booziness, this combination of flavors reminds me of Arrogant Bastard on steroids. Considering how much I love AB, this isn't a bad thing at all, but that sweet/tangy dough/yeasty quality really throws a monkeywrench into my enjoyment. Medium-full bodied, with moderate carbonation and a coating quality. If only there wasn't the doughy flavor clinging to my palate along with everything else, I'd be scoring this one a lot higher.

Overall impression: Couldn't really get into this. Not a bad beer by any means, but doesn't meet my expectations for a brewery I usually enjoy.

PDXHops, Apr 01, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Served on tap at TND.

I thought this was a IPA/DIPA so I was surprised to see a dark beer with a deep brown with some red spots in terms of color. A rich dark tan head had great legs and left some gunk on the glass. Seeing that this ais a strong ale now, the color makes more sense. The smell was mostly citrus hop scent with some floral aroma hops as well. A nice sweet scent coming from the malt bill. Also getting some alcohol/nail polish scents. The taste is huge, but im not sure i enjoy it all that much. The hops are pleasant and highly citrusy with a caramel sweetness intertwined. This kind of reminds me of a much more drinkable Founders Devil Dancer, So i'm guessing the IBU's are up there. The feel is bitter and finishes a bit rough. The hops don't kill the palete but they do attack it. A medium feel with great carb within. With all that said I had a hell of a time finishing my pour because of the alcohol flavor hindering things a bit. These types of beers are just not my thing.

BARFLYB, Sep 09, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

A: Dark Redish brown with a medium tan head

S: Has a piney hop smell that turns into a sweet raisony scent. Smells a bit boozy.

T: Has a nice piney bitterness but a clashing sweet maltiness that I can't say I like.

M: It's a little thick and nice and bitter.

D: The heavy hops make it more of a slow drinker and the strange maltiness makes it even slower.

Overall it feels like a nice heavy IPA mixed with your average malty brew. I can't say that this combo is my favorite. It's drinkable but not my favorite. I will say I didn't drink it in 2009 like the bottle suggests.

tuckevalastin, Jan 16, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

22oz bomber from Wilbur's in Ft. Collins, around $7.

A: Deep red/brown, mostly brown with a cream colored head, about half an inch or so, fairly murky, pretty fair retention with sticky clumps of lacing.

S: Pungent grapefruit, tons of pine and resinous hop lingering in there. Smells extremely hoppy, not much else, can't say this is going to be pulled toward balance. A little bit of a caramel malt profile emerges is it warms. This smells great.

T: Damn, the nose gives the flavor away, hops and booze, with an after thought of malt, has an almost black tea like flavor, almost astringently bitter, from both the booze, tea like properties, and hops. The nose was great, but the taste is well, a lot to say the least. Almost no malt can be detected in this. Leaves a sort of hoppy isopropyl rubbing alcohol flavor in the mouth. Yikes. This is not pleasant to drink at all.

M: For 9.5% this beer is extremely thin and highly carbonated, this just doesn't feel right. Astringently dry, not pleasant.

D: I love hoppy beers, so long as there is a little something else in there with it, this is hop tea with a touch of malt, and a shot of vodka in it. I understand this is from Stone, and is an anniversary beer, but holy hell a little bit of sweetness would be nice. This is honestly the first beer from Stone that I've struggled to find something in the taste that I didn't like. This will decimate your tongue as well. If you're looking for a hop fix, this is more than enough, but yeah, I wouldn't recommend this. I don't even think age will help this beer. Definitely didn't live up to the hype.

pokesbeerdude, Jul 31, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Looks like this is about 6 months old...picked up a bomber in WI, never seen it before. Silkscreened bottle interested me enough, but not the tl;dr story on the back.

Pours a reddish tawny brown, some sticky lace. A cluster of tan bubbles clings to one side. Retention is ok, a skim maintains across the surface.

Sort of generic hoppy aroma, sweet specialty malts, rich and full bodied, lingering bitter aftertaste. Bready, bitter, almost a strong rye component. Too oppressive. This is pretty typical Stone, too full with one-dimensional bitterness to really drink much of. Eh, pass...

emerge077, Jan 23, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

The bottle says "June 2009. Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009."

A - Poured into a pint glass, deep brown color like a brown ale, minimal head, but big bubbles.

S - Intake on some complex flavors, malty, almost barleywine ish.

T - Tastes like many barleywines. Malty with a good bitter hoppy taste on the throughout that lasts on the backend.

M - Carbonation was more than I expected, but wasn't a bad thing. Full bodied.

D - It is a rich complex tasting beer that took me awhile to get through the 22oz bomber. I enjoyed it, but not sure I would search to find this again.

silentnoiz, Nov 11, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -20%

22 oz. bottle purchased at Red Carpet in Glendale, and enjoyed in a Stone nonic pint glass.

Appearance:
Beautiful, deep red-orange brew capped with a thick head of tawny foam. Nice sticky lacing coats the glass. Great head retention-- I'm halfway through this glass and the head is still a finger tall.

Smell:
Oranges and pine. It's like a bowl of navel oranges and tangelos in a small, warm room with the window open to a northern New Mexico forest. Some notes of caramel, burnt sugar, and sweet rolls come out eventually, after the beer has had plenty of time to warm up. I think the smell is the best aspect of this beer.

Taste:
Oranges, pine, and burnt sugar. That's pretty much the size of it. The sugar component has some nuances: a slight buttery toffee character, and some of that bready sweetroll component that's there in the nose. Quite estery in the middle, reminds me of Arrogant Bastard or maybe an "imperialized" Levitation. Sweetness lingers into the swallow and leads into a hot gust of alcohol. Not much in the way of complexity or balance.

Mouthfeel:
Sticky, syrupy, and hot. Body is medium to full, with an almost creamy consistency and a moderate level of small-bubbled carbonation. Decent overall feel, but the alcohol warmth is distracting.

Drinkability:
Well, it's certainly bombastic enough for a Stone anniversary brew, but ultimately this is not a very interesting beer to me. The extreme bitterness and extreme sweetness battle each other without really achieving a balance. Two voices shouting at the top of their lungs does not automatically lead to harmony. While I'm glad I tried it, I wouldn't have it again.

vurt, Jul 12, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

A- Medium brown in color and topped with a large beige head. Head falls very slowly and leaves a fair amount of lace on the glass.

S- Big nose of hops mostly pine and grassy. Hard to pick much else out through the hops but some roasted malt and caramel is hiding in there.

T- Big blast of floral hops right away that lasts through to the finish. Hops change in character from floral to bitter at the finish. Some notes of malt, chocolate, and caramel at the finish as well but hidden behind the bitterness of the hops.

M- More than medium in body and a little oily and syrupy. Carbonation is decent. Finish is astringent, boozy and with the lingering feeling of the hop oil.

D- Not an easy drinker or sipper. If the secondary flavors could peak out from behind the blast of hops it could provide more balance and counterpoint. The 9.5% ABV is apparent at the finish

Normally I would hope cellaring would mellow this one out but the bottle clearly states not to do so and to enjoy it in 2009. Tried this one on draft as well, at a tasting, and I remember it being sweeter and better balanced but have chosen not to review it on tap as it was a tasting and a 4 oz. sample. Happy anniversary Stone I love your beers but the 10th Anniversary has been my favorite so far.

ToddT, Aug 23, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

I call it a Red IPA and definitely qualifies for Extreme.

Odor of alcohol and -- does anyone remember how Merthiolate smelled? Or is it moth balls? Definitely not an "aroma." Oddly harsh and sharply acidic. Woody and resiny hop flavors. Malt appears and disappears, and why do I think of Milk Duds?

Very educational, and the intense red-copper-amber color is worth seeing. But I'll be looking for something bland to mix the rest of the 22 oz with. Usual Stone printed-on-bottle label says it was bottled in 2009 and "Do not cellar - enjoy in 2009." You have been warned.

mactrail, Mar 12, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle. Pours a deep reddish brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of citrus and grassy hops and sweet caramel malt. A touch of iced tea too. Flavor is super hoppy--more citrus and grassy hops with a bitter finish. A solid malt base too. Heavyish palate with the 9.5%. It started wearing on me by the middle of the glass...In the end, boring and heavy.

LilBeerDoctor, Jul 21, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Live Review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought about 6 months ago for $6.99 at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio into my Stone Levitation Ale silver rimmed goblet. No oberved "best by" date.

A Light brown meringue like head that leaves spottty lacing on the inside of the glass after repeated sips. Body is a nice, pleasing mahogany that is dark but lets some light through. 4.0

S Earthy/leafy/organic hops over a light to medium roast malt with the sense of some rock candy or light caramel in the background. Intriguing smell. 4.0

T The earthy/leafy/organic hops are there but surprisingly there is also a tart/grapefruit/harsh hops taste that I did not pick up in the smell. Any sweet malt is eclipsed by the many layers of hops which really dominate the taste. In fact, the hops bitterness stays with me well into the aftertaste. There is also a pungeant soapy taste (a consipracy of the hops and malt?) that I do not very well like. 3.0

M This is a big beer with all of that hops taste and the warmth of the 9.5 ABV to make the feel rather "rough." I do like this type of feel, even if I was not enamored with the taste. 4.0

D Only fair with that bitter hops well into the aftertaste. 3.0

Notes: Hops lovers will appreciate this beer more than I did.

adamette, Jan 31, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured a bomber into a pint glass. A deep mohagany beer with a very nice lacey off white head.

Very aromatic, citrus, piney, spicey, earthy. Tends mostly to the citrus hops, lemony and pineapple. A very faint smell of malt sweetness comes through in the end.

It tastes a bit more on the piney side than I had expected and then the sweetness comes in. I would have liked a little more balance in terms of hops and malts, as I feel the two taste don't meld together as well as they could. The pine notes also linger for a while on my tongue than I had hoped.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and I don't think I could or would want to drink more than one. I am a little dissappointed as I have such high expectations for stone. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for a beer like this, but other than the appearance and smell this beer was just average. Another go around may be in order, but I am glad I tried it.

mikey711, Jul 07, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

22 oz bottle that I picked up on the way out of Hop City. I think the bottle ran about $5.99, not too bad. Always game to try a Stone Anniversary beer. Served this one up in a standard, shaker pint glass.

A: Pour creates a nice brown body. Its a medium brown and is pretty clear and I am not seeing much carbonation at all. On the pour, the light hits it and really lights this beer up and makes a nice red color. Held to the light, you get a nice brown, light brown with a good red hue. Pour got me a little over two fingers of head. Head is incredibly light brown in color. The head creates a really nice sheeting effect but it doesn't have much stick to it. The head slides easily back into the glass. Very nice red ale and looks damned good.

S: This brew has a good hops aroma. Its very aromatic and very pleasing for sure. Got a good amount of pine kicking in here. Behind that you get some good citrus, grapefruit meat. This does create a bit of a medicinal aroma that is bordering on iffy, but it works out. Has a light caramel malt in the background, and it actually has a decent amount of roast on it. This makes it sweet but also has a touch of nuttiness and bitterness here as well.

T: Light sweetness up front from the malts. Has a light chocolate profile, but most of it is a caramel flavor. The roast does darken up the flavors a bit, bring out some nuttiness and a light smoked bitterness. Quickly replacing that sweetness (and I mean quickly) you get all that hoppiness. Very much a pine resin presence, but it borders on too much. Its almost an industrial, pine-sol type flavor. Light citrus hops come out, bringing up a bit of grapefruit and orange. Behind that still is more hops, grassy and floral aroma that makes an almost perfume type presence. This is a bit wierd and I don't know if this is a mess or good.

M: Medium in body, this has an unexpected creaminess going on in here. Nice wieght to it that really has some coating to it. Carbonation is low, a lot lower than expected. This is a pleasant suprise, further helping that creamy presence. Pretty bitter on the palate. Aftertaste is pretty much all those hops lingering. Sometime they meld well together, sometimes not so much.

D: Well, this was interesting. Some good suprises and some not so great. The feel and appearance were very nice and enjoyable. The flavor on the other hand was just off to me. It just seems that the flavors didn't always mesh well together. I could see where this beer was planning on going, but I don't think it quite got there. Too much dry hopping was probably the culprit. Still not bad, and I'd have another if just for further curiousity's sake. Interesting, to say the least.

everetends, Jul 15, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Not a fan of red ales, some of the hoppier ones have been decent, this being one of them.

Appearance, looks a lot like ABA, but with the touch of red. In fact, while I'm mentioning ABA, this beer essentially tastes like a blend of ABA and Old Guardian. Aroma, robust, like the ABA. Taste, very sweet, like the Old Guardian, and like OG, it is alcoholic, hops are somewhat of an afterthought (for Stone).

Mouthfeel, loses more hop presence the deeper you get into the bottle. Not very drinkable, kind of challenging to plod through it.

Beerandraiderfan, Jan 02, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

appearance: Cloudy dark brown, amber on corners. Slightly yellowish off-white head; sticky lacing.

smell: Aspirin with a hint of grapefruit; ethanol smell.

mouthfeel: Good, smooth mouthfeel; perhaps a bit thick.

taste: People say this is complex, but I feel like this kind of is in a bad way. It tastes a bit muddled to me. There's a sharp sting of piney hops, but I'm not content with it. I feel like nothing really takes charge in the flavor and it ends up feeling not as pronounced as it should be. Maybe the malts are a bit too dark or just not as strong as they should be.

I just feel like there is something missing here. I love Stone and they're one of my favorite breweries, but I do feel like they occasionally slip on their special brews. This is one of them (Self-Righteous Ale is not).

billyshears, Dec 05, 2009

Poured into a snifter on 7/31/09

A - Dense brown, with plum highlights. Poured 2 fingers of billowy foam. Sure looks good. Good retention with spotty lacing.

S - Potent floral hops with some fruit notes (something in there comes across as raisin-like). Marginal malt characteristics present.

T - Good hop character & bitterness: floral, earthy & lingering. There is a burnt malt taste that seems a bit too forthright. Something that strikes me as medicinal also hangs around on the finish & has a numbing effect.

M - Medium-bodied. Wet at the onset & dry on the finish. The tingly numbing sensation mentioned above does not subside.

D - This one is strange to me. It's decent enough - and worth a shot - but it has some aspects that seem unbalanced & rough around the edges. Maybe that was Stone's intent.

Ryan011235, Aug 31, 2009

Reviewed 8/31/2009 (Bottle dated June 2009):

Pours a clearish reddish brown color body, small light tan colored head, somewhat lasting. Malty bitter aroma, hoppy grapefruity. Very bitter, dusty. Malty grapefruity taste, dusty. Good aftertaste, balances the hoppiness up front.

jujubeast6000, Nov 12, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

A soft pour still nets me an almost three-finger thick, lightly browned, amber-tan colored head. The beer is a dark, amber-red color with brown notes to it that when held up to the light shows a brilliantly clear, deep ruby hue. The aroma is sticky with candied hop notes; lychee, candied orange zest, sugar coated pine and spruce tips are followed & boosted by caramelized crystal malt flavors, toasted (almost roasted even) malt and a nice cracker / biscuit grain note towards the finish. Other, more herbal hop notes lend an almost dank, hemp-oil like character and perhaps a touch of green onion / garlic chive towards the finish. After a bit I start to notice a touch of cinnamon like hop character that mixes in with the sweet citrus notes. The nose of this beer is definitely quite hoppy, though given the hop-talk from the brewer I was actually expecting this to jump out of the glass with an expressive hop character. It doesn't quite do that, though it certainly is a hop focused beer, but there is a solid, underlying malt contribution here; it is overwhelmed by the hops in the aroma, but you can tell this beer has a lot of malt richness to it as well.

Somewhat creamy textured and full in the body, the beer still has quite a bit of a prickly carbonation; it would probably be better without quite so much carbonation. There is enough hop character here that the overall beer effect seems dry. There is some residual malt sugars here, even a substantial crystal malt sweetness, it just isn't that noticeable because of all the raw hop character. The beer finishes with a lingering, bracing bitterness that really stays on the palate long after the beer has left my mouth and even has some raw, green-hop astringency. Herbal hops are apparent as the beer first hits my tongue. There is also a solid fruity-hop character here, it just clearly plays second fiddle to the herbal hop notes. Hop notes of grapefruit zest, tangerine, lychee and kumquat are joined by notes green raw hop notes (that are almost a bit vegetal at times), substantial peppery pine notes, Towards the finish, after it loses the fruit notes, the hop character get piquant with notes of menthol, pine, peppery herbs and a resinous hop character that just fills the palate. The finish has some warm, almost hot alcohol character to it that accentuates the biting hop character.

I like that the nose strikes a decent balance between citrus hop notes, more dank, herbal notes and with a subtle, but somehow substantial malt character as a backbone to the nose. This is definitely a sipping brew, with all it malt character and alcoholic strength, not to mention the aggressive hop character. Stone puts this as part of the nebulous Imperial / Double Red style of beer. To my taste it is a cross between a rich, malty and thick Barleywine and a hopped up Double IPA. This is an unbalanced hoppy beer for sure, but it still needs some balance to it; the hop character can get a bit too harsh here at times and the hot alcohol doesn't help things. Still not a bad beer, just could use a bit more finesse and perhaps just a month or two of age to mellow and better integrate the harsh notes; I'll have to get another bottle of this to do just that.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

Gueuzedude, Jul 15, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Always interested in what Stone's offering. Giving this a bid.

Appearance - Very deep ruby color. Almost black, but the light goes through it nicely. A couple of inches of nice, solid head. Very good looking beer.

Smell - Surprisingly hoppy up front. A real nice, floral with a hint of grapefruit. But the back seems to have some coffee or malt. Definitely a roast quality lingering in the background. Also a real hint of booze. Interesting, to say the least.

Taste - Follows the nose. It's got some nice hop up front, but it's followed by the roast malt taste. It gets very bitter, almost burned on the end. Also some real pine hop flavor. The aftertaste is not making friends with me.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly creamy. Decent carbonation. Seems to sit a little heavy.

Drinkability - Not the best. That roast aftertaste is sort of dimming my enthusiasm.

Didin't know what to expect with this beer. It's interesting, especially on the nose, but in the end it just didn't do it for me. Not quite sure what they were going for with this one, not clear that they knew either.

callmescraps, Jul 15, 2009
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.