Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
number1bum

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a viscious looking dark scarlet/mahogany color with two plus fingers of creamy, dense tan head. Retention is good, keeping a full lace and leaving some patchy stick on the sides of the pint glass.

Smells of floral, citrusy hops with a strong malt presence, as well. Malt consists of lots of bready, dark caramel, some toasted malt and even a hint of chocolate. There is some booze in this nose, as well, but overall it's quite nice. I actually wish the hops popped even a little more than they do, though.

Like the nose this is quite hoppy but also balanced nicely by a big malt backbone. It's also on the boozy side, however, which detracts from what otherwise would be a nicely balanced brew. The hops are very citrusy, with an aggressive bitterness, but where a super juiciness would fit the bill there is instead a hot alcohol finish. Lots of malt, as well, with big caramel flavor in particular, but again the booze is a bit much.

Mouthfeel is a hefty medium body, quite slick and smooth but it's hurt by the hot alcohol in the finish. Beating a dead horse here, but it's just too damn not and the mouthfeel is harsh and suffers for it.

This is a pretty good beer but it's too hot, and surprisingly for a brewery like Stone it could also be hoppier. Maybe the hop flavor is overwhelmed by the alcohol and big malt backbone, but for me I'm left wishing for more hop flavor. If the alcohol were toned down and the hop flavor was cranked up this would be a real winner. Still worth a shot.

08-03-2009 02:05:49 | More by number1bum
paco1029384756

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a dark ruby brown color with a large off white head.

Scent of strong oily hops, light grain, and alcohol. The hops are nice and strong, but the alcohol is pretty strong as well; a good scent regardless.

Taste of hops, sugars, charred malts, fruit, and alcohol. The flavor itself isn't too bad, but the hop level in the taste is very disappointing. This one fell pretty far below my expectations.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

07-19-2009 00:34:51 | More by paco1029384756
BeerManDan

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Compared to other Strong Ale's, Stone just dosen't do it for me. The color was of a dark reddish brown and that was good. But, the smell of piney hops just like all of the other beers was like, same ole, same ole. The taste was of piney hops and not much of anything else. Same bitterness as always! It's getting to be that all of there Ale's are starting to taste the same. I guess my palete must be going south. Excuse me for saying, this is a good ale, but for me, just another Above Average IPA!

07-22-2009 22:55:25 | More by BeerManDan
mdfb79

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

a - Poured a dark hazelnut brown with about two fingers of brownish white head with good retention. No carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel and sweet malts. Also a tiny hint of hops and booze. Was expecting more hops to jump out in the smell.

t - Tastes stronlgy of sweet malts again. Also tastes of caramel and toffee, as well as a little bit of booze.

m - Medium body with a little carbonation and a littler creamty. Also a little bit hot from the alcohol.

d - Overall I thought it had a nice sweet malt taste to it, but was a little too hot. I was expecting more hops than malts, but the malts still smelled and tasted good. An above average strong ale.

02-22-2010 02:26:39 | More by mdfb79
teamizm

Serving: 22 oz bomber

A - Dark amber pour, with an initial 2 finger head and subsides into a very thin lace.

S - Piney resin and floral hops. A near IPA smell. The booziness smell comes out strong as it warms up.

T - Bigfoot-esque notes - borderline barleywine profile here. You get hit with the initial hops (fairly strong too) and then comes down w/ a fairly alcohol flavor (almost rum-like)

M - Lightly carbonated, fairly light mouthfeel

D - This is where I probably deviate from the other reviewers. I really like SN Bigfoot, but this beer just comes off too boozy for me. The hard alcohol (I'm thinking rum) notes are just way too strong for me. It hits your mouth right away, almost as if there was a pour of rum sitting on top of the beer. What struck me was the lack of balance

07-12-2009 04:26:03 | More by teamizm
Overlord

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours amber, not red. Maybe some ruby highlights if I hold it up to a car's high beams.

Surprisingly robust and long lasting off-white head.

Smells like bitter hops. Maybe some grapefruit in there, too. I don't know ... I was expecting a bit more of a malt or tropical fruit presence .... or maybe a bit more balance. This is kind of like a more subdued tongue buckler in the aroma, when I was expecting a juicier, maltier impy red.

Tongue Buckler is the beer that comes to mind in re: the flavor. Grapefruit/orange rind, bitter piney hoppiness ... maybe a smidgen of lighter citrus ... but it isn't a complex beer. And, frankly, not as good as much of Stone's regular lineup. There's some toffee/caramel malt lingering about, but the hops take over.

It's listed here as an American Amber/Red, and while it fits that style, I was expecting more of a 2006 Alesmith Decadence style Imperial Red, with a f***-ton of sticky malt to complement a complex hops presence. Blindfolded, I'd think this was a perhaps slightly sweeter than normal IPA. You get some balancing agents, but basically, it's a bitter brew.

Smooth and drinkable with a good mouthfeel. Somewhat boozy.

As the years pass, Stone's 10th anniversary IPA shines brighter and brighter.

07-01-2009 09:47:52 | More by Overlord
Knapp85

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Got a bottle of this in August of 2010, so the brew was not fresh like the bottle says it should be enjoyed. However I wanted to have it and give it a try. The brew poured out as a brownish color with a pretty decent head on it. The smell of the beer is malty and had some nice hops in there also. The taste of the brew was similar to a Barley Wine to me. Sweet, hoppy and dry. The mouthfeel was on the thicker side. Overall not a bad brew, wish I could have had it sooner just to see the difference.

09-18-2011 03:35:50 | More by Knapp85
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

I don't buy nearly as much Stone beer as I used to but I'm always game to pick up a lone bottle of any one-offs or anniversary beers when they show up. Given that this was billed as the hoppiest beer they have produced I was a little excited to see how it lived up to that claim. It is an unsurprisingly red-amber color, very good head and it sure smells damned hoppy. The flavor is abrasive, brash hops which I can see why some people are put off by the way Stone hops their beers but I dig it. There was also a solid maltiness and the mouthfeel was thick. This was a good beer but nothing beats the 10th in my opinion that stuff was one of my favorite IPA's ever.

07-03-2009 19:59:13 | More by ArrogantB
thryn

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

dark reddish-brown. Lets a fair bit of light through. light tan two-finger head.

tons of piney hops and some biscuit in the nose. Also a bit of raisin.

this is a pretty hoppy beer, but it's balanced too. hits hard up front, with piney and grapefruity hops that get very bitter, but that bitterness is then tempered by the roasty and sweet notes coming through. some caramel and biscuit.

sticky finish.

light to medium body and some sharp carbonation.

worth a try for hopheads, but not my favorite Stone.

09-11-2009 06:04:45 | More by thryn
mattwjones

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured this beer from a bomber into a 17.5 oz snifter.

The pour was nice. This beer is much darker than I expected. The head is slight and looks like espresso foam. The color is dark and turns red when held up to the lights.

The smell is malty with hops in the background. It almost smells like dried fruit and molasses.

The taste is big malt upfront and has a hoppy finish. Molasses comes out again. Once the beer warms up there is a strong alcohol bite.

Te mouthfeel is solid. It is thick but not syrupy.

Although this is not a syrupy brew, I dont see myself sessioning this beer. I would buy it again if I had the chance though.

07-31-2009 04:46:30 | More by mattwjones
jbphoto88

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

13th pours from a 22oz brown bottle a little on the thick side of things. The beer seems slightly syrupy and is the color of the bottle it came in. Deep brown with garnet highlights and slightly hazed. The head is thick, fluffy and khaki coating everything it touches.

The nose is a lesson in citrus hop aroma. There is a touch of pine and resin with hints of caramelized grains but nothing surpasses the lemony grapefruit nose that dominates. All in all the nose isn't one of my favorites. It gives the impression of a boozy beer that is rough around the edges.

The taste confirms my impression from the nose. A rush of sweet caramelized grains fades into an overly bitter tartness. Don't get me wrong I am all for a bitter beer but this flavor and feel is a little rough on the palate. Slightly boozy with a pine sap and citrus cocktail. Not bad but those flavors compete and don't compliment each other.

The finish is the best thing about this beer in my opinion. Once the bitter astringency fades the coating of flavors lingers awhile. Deep meaty malts with sweet caramelized sugars. Awesome finish to an ok beer. I feel this one needs a little more time in the bottle or dare I say less bittering hops. That change or age should let it meld and jive just a bit more into something really nice.

09-27-2009 23:30:51 | More by jbphoto88
zplug123

Georgia

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle:

A: Dark red-brown, cola-like color. Solid head with persistent retention.

S: Strong hops smell followed by malt, aroma is pleasantly appropriate for a strong ale

T: Bitter throughout with undertones of smoked malt. Pine-citrus taste is apparent and sticks to the tongue

M: Dry finish, leaves the typical resin feel at the end. Medium body with mild carbonation

D: Definitely a beer to sit down with and explore. Wouldn't have it for anything other than a special occasion.

08-07-2009 03:28:22 | More by zplug123
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep dark amber color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aroma of citrus hops with a grassy feel and deep caramel malt also noticeable. Taste is also a mix between some grassy earthy hops with some deep caramel malt and a light toffee aftertaste. Body is a bit thin for the style with good carbonation and no signs of alcohol. Well done though maybe a tad too one-dimensional.

12-21-2009 03:44:08 | More by Phyl21ca
mountdew1

New Hampshire

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Head was a tan color that clung to the sides very well. Color was a dark reddish brown color. Aroma had a small amount of alcohol along with grainy sweet smell. A bit of hops but was very pleasant. Taste was hoppy and grainy not at all as sweet as it smelled. Felt a little thin in the mouth, nicely carbonated. Ok to drink, but not an must drink beer.

It was marked drink in 2009, but got lost in the shuffle.

06-14-2010 23:05:01 | More by mountdew1
jdflyer06

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A - Exceptional! Dark, almost ruby like color when held up to the light. The head is light, tan, but with enough substance to hold it's own throughout and leave some thick lacing on the side.

S - Complex but not completely there yet. It smells young, but that's to be expected. Some piney notes and over ripe citrus dominate at first followed by a hint of dark fruit and a rich caramel and malt finish. I can feel the burn of the alcohol in my nostrils.

M - Medium carbonation, medium body with a dry finish and a pretty good bit of warmth from the alcohol

T - Pretty good balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness but the alcohol is way too aggressive right now. Picking up some apple peel and bitter unripe citrus. I was expecting some more fruity esters after reading some reviews. It falls flat in the taste category but still good enough to finish by myself.

D - Not very drinkable right now. Should mellow out in a year or so. I'm going to lay some down for a while and review six months and one year from now.

08-01-2009 01:50:51 | More by jdflyer06
movingtrain

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Growler pour into a Stone Levitation glass.

Dark, dark amber/brown...lingering on black. A good two finger head formed at first, but has since receded to a very light bit hanging out on top.

Smells hoppy...to be expected from Stone...but it's not overly hoppy in the nose. Some cinnamon, apple, ginger spice, peppercorn.

Taste is not what I expected...some very strong cinnamon taste...man, I can't put my finger on the flavors here. It's pretty bitter. There are some fruited notes, pineapple, apple, plum, maybe? Some clove flavor...hops are becoming more and more present throughout the drink as the beer continues to warm. Bitter grapefruit coming through now...again, hops are beginning to overpower some of the initial underlying flavors.

This beer is good...but I'm not super impressed. It's very hoppy, which continues to build in the flavor. An interesting color and body. I am interested to see this one with a bit of age on it, to see if the hops will settle down and bring out some of the other tasty flavors that seem to be in this beer, but are not fully present right now. At the end of the drink, the only thing remaining on the palate is hop devastation.

Serving type: growler

07-12-2009 22:43:32 | More by movingtrain
ktrillionaire

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

I respected this brew, I appreciated it, but I'm not sure how much I liked it.

A - Po' up is a very dark translucent mahogany, with good head that sticks around for a bit, but not much lacing.

S - The aroma is a large malt presence; it smells a bit like rye and grapefruity hops, as well.

T - The dark, rich, roasted malt flavor is strong. There is a strong grapefruit hop, a big black licorice flavor and again
a suggestion of rye. Long whiskey burn on the finish. Everything about this beer is noticeably strong.

M - The feel is quite akin to bourbon and soda, except dry.

D - It is quite a strong and flavorful brew, but a bit heavy-handed in some ways that I do not put great value on.

02-19-2010 01:02:57 | More by ktrillionaire
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Deep amber in color-somewhat of a pale mahogany color. Small tight head. Big hops blast in the aroma. Blast of hop bitterness upfront that tends to fade into more of a hop flavor. Sugary sweet caramel malt flavors. Somewhat astringent for me and there is a bit of alcohol burn. Balance seems a bit off. Ok body-again the hop bitterness comes across as harsh and the whole thing is a tad boozy. A notch above average. Some cellaring is in order here.

08-22-2009 03:01:40 | More by lackenhauser
ThreeWiseMen

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a Rémy Martin snifter.

Appearance: Body is dark and murky and shows several deep autumn colors. The initial head was tall, tight, frothy, sticky; downright nasty! It didn't hold for too long, but as it decayed it drug tons of goopy lacing. This is gonna be good!

Smell: Juicy grapefruit, moist pine, pear, big-time hops and alcohol. There's something else sweet in there - not caramel - that I can't quite put my finger on. Rich.

Taste: Woody hops, huge pine, grapefruit, and tons of bitterness. A good deal of alcohol too. Big, earthy, piney, bitter. I think I even get some pilsener malt. This beer is huge! This beer is too much of a punch to the face though. The flavors also seem kinda muddled. It's good, but it almost seems like it was thrown together haphazardly. That's me. The other people I was with were big fans.

Mouthfeel: Big, oily, warm and dry. Doesn't finish nearly as sticky as I thought it would. In fact, it finishes kind of clean and effervescent. Feels odd.

Drinkability: This beer was big, bold, and uncompromising, just as Stone probably anticipated. I was just okay for me though. Maybe a little too big for me. I would have liked a little more depth and subtlety. Maybe I'm whining. I am whining. This is Stone. What the hell am I thinking? It was still good.

09-30-2009 03:30:23 | More by ThreeWiseMen
DeathbySexyBT

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Crip appearance to a almond skin body with a three-finger tan head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pine, wet grass, and resin. Roasted caramel malts even the aroma out.

T: Herbal and dry with grapefruit and a boozy punch to it. Big hops with a decent malt base. Extremely dry finish with a medicinal aftertaste.

M: Chewy and rich. Low on the carbonation.

D: Big and boozy at 10% ABV which was great. What struck me as off-putting was the medicinal flavor at the back of the palate. I have never had this with a Stone beer before, but I got this from two different bottles. This is a decent beer, but that was a bit odd. Stone is still #1. I will chalk this up to just a bad run. And bad by their standard is still a decent beer.

08-31-2009 18:13:16 | More by DeathbySexyBT
ChillMike

Alabama

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Pours a dark ruby red color that allows only a bit of light through. A perfect 2 fingered "burnt" white colored head that leaves some nice lacing all around the glass.

S: Smells like a sweeter AB with more hoppiness. That was the first thing that came to mind, zesty hops and nice clean crisp hop scent. Very nice.

T: (I've been waiting for this one!) Lots of bitter hops here, again sort of a different take on an arrogant bastard, more hop, a little sweeter but the alcohol shines through a bit more than usual for a stone brew. It is a big in your face type of brew but not as interesting as I would have hoped. (I still miss 10th with all my beer soaked liver)

MF:Medium bodied beer with lots of carbonation. Meh.

D: Sort of down on this one with how high the abv is on top of the fact that the alcohol is ever noticeable, this is a nice to try beer but definitely not your every day or even every week type of beer.

Overall I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, not that it is a bad beer far from it but I was just really hoping for something crazy from the Stone guys this time around. I think 10th really set my expectations way too high.

07-13-2009 05:59:52 | More by ChillMike
Kegatron

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle into an oversized snifter.

Pours a deep clear amber, with 2 big tight fingers of light tan colored foam. Creamy half finger of froth stays rich, with a massive flareup that just drenches the sides with foam that hangs in thick swathes. The aroma is VERY West Coast smelling, with a ton of floral notes, spice, pine cones, and tropical citrus. Underneath lies the malts, which add a meaty layer of smoke, roast, and toasted caramel. As this warms, it's just about neck and neck with the hops. Bit of beefy warmth gives this a heavier feel in the nose.

The hops are resinous and biting in the taste, with an aggressive spicy bitterness and citric character that spreads out in the mouth. Balance comes courtesy of a stickily sweet backbone of toffee and darker roasted malts. Smoky notes lend the profile both tang and a toasty feel, combining with the spicy bitterness to really make for quite the intense finish here. The malts are so assertive in fact, they actually threaten to overtake the robust hop character at times, they are that strong. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a creamy firmness to it that keeps things moving. However, this seem just a bit too light in spots, especially considering the big flavors and alcohol presence. The bigger ABV here doesn't always work with the big roasty feel of the malts as well (especially as this hits room temp), cutting down the drinkibility for me.

While certainly not a bad Imperial Red style beer or anything, this was definitely a step down from some of the other recent Anniversary offerings. Despite the awesome hop character, the overpowering dark malt component to this just didn't blow me away in the end. Once bottle was more than enough for this year.

08-21-2009 17:01:21 | More by Kegatron
hobojon

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Aroma- very off putting. smells like medicine I had to drink as a child. grass. bubblegum. alc. lots of hop and malt i have never smelled. interesting.

App- red with some brown. tan head.

Taste- very resinous. noticeable chocolate malt, too much. fruity, grapefruit, grape. artificial tasting. soy sauce. alc in throat and stomach is too much.

M- low carb, dry, clean. huge resin aftertaste. viscous. alc burn.

D- not very good for Stone. aroma is offensive to my personal taste, otherwise unique beer.

08-23-2009 06:25:36 | More by hobojon
Murchmac

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Always look forward to this annual offering from Stone. 13 is a mystical number for many cultures, not in the beer culture.

Pours a big foamy tan head. Dark colors, brown, ruby, brilliant cherry mahogany, big foamy lacing. There's a bar in San Francisco called Lucky 13 I like.

Smells of ground fresh hops at first, pepper, spice, nice malt profile kick in later. In some countries, the number 13 is considered unlucky and building owners will sometimes purposefully omit a floor so numbered.

Big Hops, Big Malt, peppery, bitter, Big Citrus, Big Red Alcohol. It does't quite work for me though. Apollo 13 was the only unsuccessful mission by the United States of America intended to land humans on the moon.

Alcohol and hops burn down your throat like the 10th anniversary, but this one wasn't as smooth. Pretty good beer, a victim of their own success as it didn't live up to the hype. Haven't been this disappointed since Jim Carrey's 23.

07-08-2009 04:28:36 | More by Murchmac
jasonjlewis

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a huge 2 1/2 finger head with great retention and a very dark amber color.

Smell is a blend of Simcoe and C-hops. That slight touch of pine from the simcoe mixed with a c-hop is heavenly. It's a wonderful combo. There is a touch of cattiness to it, and I think that there is a bit of chinook underneath in this one. There are hints of caramel malts and a bit of toastiness, with a slight bit of roastiness from chocolate malts. My complaint here is that while the hops are very interesting underneath, the maltiness isn't enhanced much by them to balance the two out, which I think is important for a hoppy red ale. The esters are there, but they aren't overpowering and don't accentuate the malt too much. Also there is a bit of fusel alcohol in the back.

Some caramel malts come through with a good bit of toastiness from amber malts. There is a slight bit of roastiness and chocolatey flavor from chocolate malts as well. If there is a spectrum between hoppy reds and browns this one still fits into hoppy reds, but moves towards a hoppy brown status. The hop flavor in this one doesn't match the awesomeness of the aroma. The bitterness is VERY harsh. I'm not for the clean bitterness over harsh bitterness, I like somewhere in between. The flavor in this has some pine and a little bit of grapefruit and is mildly catty. I'm thinking that there is a bunch of chinook in this beer, which I think is a poor choice to use on it's own for flavoring.

Mouthfeel is dry and has some fusel alcohol issues. There isn't enough body in this beer to balance out the booziness

This beer is definetly a hoppy as red. The aroma is incredible. The dry hopping was suberb. However, I think that the overuse of chinook throughout the boil is a detriment. That and the fact that I think Stone's yeast strain doesn't accentuate the malts in this one as well as I would like.

I think minor tweaks to this beer could make it superb.

Mouthfeel

08-28-2009 03:48:56 | More by jasonjlewis
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.