2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 13th Anniversary AleStone 13th Anniversary Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 06-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 712 | Reviews: 605 | Show All Ratings:
bjacobsen

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a tulip from a 22 oz. bomber. I've got to say, this is one of the most attractive looking bottles I've seen. I understand that the artwork has nothing to do with the quality of this beer, but it sure does stand out.

A- A deep mahogany with glowing red highlights . Nicely carbonated. Loose tan head with some lacing that lingers.

S- Very hoppy and very fragrant. Pine scents lead the floral and citrus bouquet but there is an almost barley wine sweetness to the scent.

T- Much like the smell, there is a lot of hops to meet the palate immediately. This has an unmistakable malty sweetness and warmth in the center and then it finishes dry with a subtle grainy sweetness that holds on between sips.

M- Medium to full bodied. 13 coats my tongue with the hop-oils and bitterness.

D- Some big beers hide the ABV better than others. For me, that doesn't always reflect the quality of the beer. IMO, 13 definitely has an alcoholic character to it, but it seems to fit quite well. I definitely could not drink multiple 13's in a sitting, but I will definitely seek this one out again.

08-07-2009 03:41:22 | More by bjacobsen
Taverner420

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle. Pours a dark amber not unlike Double Bastard, with a frothy tan head. Nose is pine, malt and ether. This is an excellent hop bomb, and yes, drink fresh. Flavor has notes of pine, malteds, grapefruit and a slightly smoky note. After a diversion into that chocolate stout mess, its good to know that they are going back to the basics - not one you age, but one that tastes really good right NOW!

07-21-2009 22:03:22 | More by Taverner420
raninator84

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Cracked open a bomber last night. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Very dark auburn with massive reddish head.

S - Hops, lots-o-hops. Caramel and pine, with a hint of burnt cherries.

T - Hops hit you right away then the caramel and burnt wood flavors are masked. The alcohol kind of dominates the taste though.

M - well balanced carbonation

D - The alcohol is a bit overpowering and any hop head would be satisfied with this brew. I feel it could be a bit over hyped but an overall a good brew.

07-30-2009 16:21:29 | More by raninator84
RyWill

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Clear mahogany with thick a large, thick off white head that leaves similar lacing down the glass.

Smell: Strong hops dominate, but definitely dark fruits and malt as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The smell of the dark fruits and malts lets you know that the enormous amount of hops you taste on the front end will indeed be balanced out. Some citrus and caramel malt, and certainly alcohol come out in the taste. Certainly a big beer, but one that settles down as you go and it warms. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with heavier carbonation.

Drinkability: The 9.5% is pretty apparent but getting through a bomber is easy.

Oh how I wish Stone distributed in Illinois.

09-14-2009 15:15:14 | More by RyWill
AlexCuse

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours an incredibly deep red. The head has an oily/soapy gleam from all the hop resins. Right after pouring the flavor is raucous, almost overwhelming. Like a war between tastes in your mouth. As it settles it gets calmer though, that is when it gets dangerous.

As with a lot of Stone's brews, it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it is. If my supply wasn't so limited I could really get in trouble with this one. The second glass I poured (from 22 oz bomber) was gone almost as fast as it was poured.

Never really tasted anything like this, but I will be tasting it again. My challenge now is just to have the discipline not to drink it all so I can share with friends :)

07-19-2009 02:15:55 | More by AlexCuse
greenpumas

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

June 2009
13th Anniversary.
13 is a lucky number.
Let's hope for great things.

A: Woah. Beautiful color, mocha colored head with a lot of wild bubbles. Dark, nearly bottle-colored body. Looks like an Arrogant Bastard; go figure!

S: Overwhelming smell of graham crackers when first pouring. Notes of hops and an earthy-grass scent. Some of the phenols start to show through once the brew starts warming up.

T: Nice taste. Some dry hops on the palate. I can taste the content. As the beer warms I can really start to taste the luck in the beer, also some molasses and spice. Gotta have that spice.

MF/D: I pick up on the alcohol content when drinking this beer; I was hoping with something like Stone's Anniversary Ale that they would mask the high content very nicely. Just not the case. I still love drinking them.

11-19-2009 23:45:28 | More by greenpumas
adamb02155

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Much darker than expected, dark brown to black in appearance. Nice foamy head on top.

S - Very impressive. Strong floral scent to it.

T - Bitter, but with a little sweetness and enough body to make the bitter taste enjoyable.

M - I really like the body to this, it is pretty thick and helps to balance it out.

D - One bottle of this is a nice treat for sure, it is a great anniversary offering.

07-31-2009 00:33:24 | More by adamb02155
lflow

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Beer is dark brown, with a slightly amber hue. Light brown head, that doesn't last.

Smell is mostly dominated by the hops. Smells mostly spicy with a bit of citrus. Smelling something similar to pine.

Taste is BITTER! All bitterness on the front (and resinatting throughout). Warming spices on the middle, like cloves maybe. The back is a thickly sweet and syrupy malt. Strong malt flavor.

I actually think this would be a good Christmas Ale.

Smooth but also, very bitter on the mouthe. This is by design, of course.

This beer is good to drink because it tastes so good, but I wouldn't drink several, although I know it's not meant for that, because of the strong bitterness, and also because there is so much going on.

Overall, a good beer, I would enjoy it more in winter.

08-21-2009 16:24:52 | More by lflow
therealnod

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Already had several of these, just like every year. 22oz bomber into an Old Guardian chalice.

A: Dark, clear red. Very nice.

S: Lots of pine backed by dark cherry. Some light citrus with a hint of caramel. Complex nose.

T: Wow, where to begin? Begins with the very bitter pine...sometimes...other sips start with the sweet cherry taste. Depends on whether or not you let the last taste finish. Kinda reminds me of Old Guardian blended with Double Bastard. As always, every range of bitterness and maltiness rears it's lovely head at some point. In short, this tastes exactly like a Stone beer, which is a great thing. Balanced, smooth, and delicious. I can't get enough of this, really.

M: Thick and creamy...just right for this brew.

D: Didn't notice the alcohol, but I'd bet you wouldn't survive many of these, though you'd want to. Knocked me around pretty good.

Notes: I'm certainly impressed, and I'll be sad when this is no longer available. IMO this is better than everything they have brewed outside of Old Guardian and Double Bastard. Decidedly recommended.

07-06-2009 16:21:38 | More by therealnod
nate4g63

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a DFH signature glass. Alot darker than I expected. Very dark brown, not much light peaking through. Head was nice, almost an inch, very creamy. It goes away pretty quickly but lots of lacing and stickiness.

Very similiar smell to an IPA, nothin to get crazy and brag about here.

First glass cold right from the fridge. Very IPA like at first and a very nice bitterness to finish, a little alcohol flavor, but nothin crazy. I wasn't sure where others were getting this porter or stout like flavoring until my second glass, which I'm drinking now. I let the bomber sit out instead of getting cold again. Definitely seems like an IPA/Porter mix. Very enjoyable.

Feels alot thicker than what I thought. Heavy for what flavors I get, almost creamy feeling.

Stone's 13th is very drinkable. I don't know if I'll rush to find another bottle but I am very happy I was able to try this. If you see it, try it for sure, I dont think you'll be disappointed.

08-06-2009 01:35:14 | More by nate4g63
MountainBeagle

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

This Imperial Red is a mean one! Full of hops, malt and alcohol. It falls a little short for a Stone Anniversary and disappointed a bit for being the "hoppiest beer Stone ever produced."

The hops are there but the bitterness isn't at the levels I thought it would be. I was thinking it would be around 130 or more but it came in at 90, below ruination.

I had the glory of tasting this one at the 13th anniversary celebration. I also had it from bottle 3 days after it came out so I had it as fresh as it gets (for most of us.)

Color is good, taste is good. Brew is just not the cream of the crop like an Anniversary should be. The malt seems to cancel out the hop bitterness that is dear to so many of us hopheads.

It's a good brew don't pass this one up, its rare to have an Imperial Red. Overall though I'd take a 2009 Double Bastard over it and I love my hops.

11-09-2009 00:50:39 | More by MountainBeagle
OldeEnglishD

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Even before tasting this beer it impresses. A nice 3.5 finger carmel colored head that lasts a nice long time. The scent is great with hints of pine and citurs.

The taste is awesome. Like an Arrogant Bastard XL. There is a lot of complex flavors that blend nicely. Definate citrus/pine with tons of hops. You can tell this is a higher ABV than ABA, but it doesn't hit you as a heavy alchohol taste like some high ABV beers. It has a really nice mouth feel, thick without being like tar.

This is not a beer you drink all night as it would knock you on your back after a couple. This to me is a beer to start your night with. Take your time and enjoy the complex taste and realize you are drinking a beer that not many breweries could have produced. Stone has lived up to their reputation again.

07-26-2009 12:27:20 | More by OldeEnglishD
hansendc

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Holy cow! I haven't had a beer grab my attention like this in a while. Stone has these things every year and they're generally pretty good -- certainly up to Stone's standards. But, they've outdone themselves on this one.

Pours a dark red. Perhaps a bit hazy. Very little residual yeast in my bottle.

The first thing that strikes you is how thick this feels in your mouth. It's like drinking a pint of jell-o. Probably its single most extraordinary attribute.

The head is impressively thick and stable. It stays put and does not diminish quickly.

If you are a hop lover, then this is your ticket. It doesn't have the outright bitterness of an IPA, but it has hops for real.

It is rare to find something this hoppy, strong, and thick in a single package. It's a rare gem. Go but one if you can get your hands on it.

09-13-2009 04:28:27 | More by hansendc
DougBrew

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Deep deep amber, almost brown. Poured with a fat head, that quickly halved itself, but lingered through the end.

S- Intense floral and citrus, with a malty afternote.

T- Initially a little sweet, with prominent notes of etoh, intensely bitter and dry in the finish. Deeper still there are hints of roasted coffee beans, toffee, and even apples.

M - The carbonation lets this beer dance on your tongue and deceive you into thinking it is a much lighter beer. As I mentioned before, this beer finishes dry...REALLY dry. I almost needed a glass of water to go along with this baby.

D - Absolutely drinkable, for about one serving. Then I would need to venture into lighter, less etoh heat/dryness and something with a more prominent malt backbone.

01-20-2010 00:46:07 | More by DougBrew
andrewroush

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Dark caramel/red color with a strong two finger head and decent retention. Head never fully dissipates. Little lacing.

S - Stone's website says this is the first beer they bottled that's been double dry-hopped, and the aroma shows it. Strong piney scent, but it doesn't overpower the malts, especially as the beer warms.

T - Piney hops. I get a hint of caramel as the beer starts to warm. The bitterness from the hops linger in the aftertaste, but they're still not too overpowering.

M - Lingering bitterness, almost sticks to the inside of your mouth. Decent carbonation, not too heavy.

D - I think one 22 oz. bottle is enough, because any more would overwhelm my palate.

The bottle said to drink it in 2009 so I don't know how much different it would have been fresh, but overall it's a very good beer. Comparable to Arrogant Bastard.

01-29-2010 00:00:41 | More by andrewroush
drinkslinger028

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer was purchased at the wooden keg in Hagerstown Maryland . super knowledgable peeps there.I myself find this a bit malty fir my taste but I'm a hop head at heart so my rateing may not compare with yours, keep your mind open and give it a try....

01-07-2010 06:33:38 | More by drinkslinger028
ahoverton

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is very dark red or amber in color. It has a nice tan head and good lacing.
S: This is the best part of this beer. It has typical Stone hoppy aromas that smell Like citrus pine and grapefruit. Very typical smell of California DIPA's.
T: This is where it falls apart for me. It tastes like they used too many bittering and dry hops and not enough late addition. Very bitter and grassy flavor at the end. Very strong body so it needs the hops to stand out, but I much prefer SSR or Ruination.
M: It has good carbonation but leaves a sticky hop oil residue that is umpleasant compared to some of their other beers.
D: I don't think I would ever want to drink more than one. This is the 2nd time I have had this and I won't ever buy it again even though it is almost gone. SSR and Ruination are much tastier and easier to drink.

09-05-2009 08:38:26 | More by ahoverton
WBCFM

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

I bought a few bottles of the 13th Anniversary in the summer, then I realized that these beers should not be cellared, so I decided to start drinking them.

As many reviews have stated, this beer has a beautiful appearance. Great color, great head retention.

The smell is a little stronger on the alcohol than I like, but it is a Strong Ale and is 9.5% ABV, so I guess that is to be expected.

The mouthfeel is more malty than hoppy, but different than the 11th or what is now the Sublimely Self Righteous (one of my favorites).

The finish is very bitter. Fine at first, but by the end of the bottle, you kind of tire of the bitterness.

01-14-2010 05:09:45 | More by WBCFM
Haslips

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I had high expectations for this beer after reading the advance reviews.

I had the opportunity to try this beer on tap at the Stone Bistro, and it was my starter beer....

Unfortunately, they only serve it an 8 oz glass because of the high (9.5%) alcohol content.

So to the beer itself.... poured an amber red with a light head that disapated quicky...

I was expecting a HOP hit on the first taste, but instead got a HOP/Malt balance. If this beer has an IBU above 90, I will be surprised, because it certainly doesn't hit the palate with a big bitter hop taste.

That said, this was a wonderful, very drinkable beer...I switched to an Arrogant Bastard, then a Sublimely Rightous Ale, and came back to the 13th for my last two beers .... It was much better and more drinkable than both.

at 9.5% alcohol, you would never know it (until it was too late) Most of the Stone aniversary Ales I have had needed aging to mellow, but this beer is ready to drink RIGHT NOW.

07-01-2009 03:17:44 | More by Haslips
BonsaiBrewer

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Clear, very dark amber. I'm surprised at how dark it is. Well carbonated with substantial head that diminishes fairly quickly to a thin covering, leaving a lace on the glass.

S - Nice strong american hop aroma. Getting stronger as beer warms. Pungent and skunky (in a good way ; )

T - Wow - this one is bitter! Clean and well balanced to start and then lingering bitterness tingles across the tongue, taking its sweet time in departing. Swish it around to make sure all taste buds are assualted properly! A bit of an alcohol burn comes in towards the end as well.

M - Medium body. High carbonation enhances the bitter bite. Finishes somewhat dry.

D - If you like hops you're going to love it. Stone states that it is their hoppiest beer yet - and that is saying something.

O - This is clearly focused on the hops. Lots of bittering hops and generous amounts of aroma and flavoring hops too. I was expecting more caramel notes with the dark amber color. There is some there. More would make it a bit better balanced, but then again why would you want to do that!? The complexity is a bit lacking by being so hop focused. My guess is that it will age quite well. I'll be going back to get a couple of bottles to cellar for a while. It will be interesting to see how this one matures.

07-27-2009 00:59:48 | More by BonsaiBrewer
kcreming

South Carolina

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Filled a up a growler a few weeks ago at Greene's on Piney Grove here in Columbia, SC...

A: Looks great, nearly black...

S: The smell on this one is awesome, in my opinion... bursting with scents, caramel, maybe some blackberry... the smell really caught my attention here

T: The alcohol burn on this one bothered me a bit upon my initial try, but after a few more sips, the complexity of the flavors came through and started to grow on me

M: The feel here is good, somewhat creamy, right amount of carbonation...

D: Not exceptionally drinkable, IMO, but this is due largely to the higher ABV and thickness of the brew... still, a great sipping beer that I'm glad I tried...

Serving type: growler

09-21-2009 21:12:16 | More by kcreming
JCAles

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle straight from fridge poured into snifter

This beer pours a ruby/mahogany to brown red color. With a moderate poor the head was strong and tan, but disappeared to only a lacing around the edges within a few minutes. The lacing will show you exactly how much you take upon each drink leaving a distinct mark on your glass where the previous level of was.

The aroma is all hops IMO. Strong piny aroma with citrus in the background. As the beer warms the aroma shifts more towards grapefruit.

The first taste to hit your mouth is of caramel and subtle toffee notes. This gives way fast to the hops which are dominated by piny and grapefruit flavors followed by a healthy dose of bitterness. The grapefruit flavor seems to dominate as this beer warms (I prefer this one cold as I am not a fan of overwhelming grapefruit flavors).

This one has a medium mouth feel leaving a nice coating in the mouth...more so as it warms.

Overall a very drinkable beer. Becomes less drinkable as it warms up IMO.

10-14-2009 17:50:28 | More by JCAles
froman694

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

i found this beer to be a typical stone beer. the color was more of an amber color, something simular to hopback by troeg. the taste was quite hoppy with a clean finish. the several different hops used created a wonderful layered aroma. personally i was disappointed by this beer, being a stone limited release project i wanted more than what i got. that being said this a wonderful expression of what good hops can do in a beer.

07-16-2009 19:04:34 | More by froman694
seanroto

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

22oz bottle pours dark blood red with full tan frothy head and lace. very nice Deep pine aroma. Taste is very good. nice mix of both Malt and hops and sweetness. pine resin stickiness really comes out as I found myself licking my lips after each mouthful. pleasant bitter aftertaste

07-22-2009 00:11:45 | More by seanroto
Scottliff

4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass.

A - Dark reddish brown, cloudy. Thick lofty beige head with hop oils visible.

S - Wonderful bouquet of hops, mostly pine, with slight caramel from the malt.

T - Tons of piney hops leaving that bitterness on your tongue long after taking a drink. Malt comes through just enough with mild flavors of caramel and maybe rye bread. The alcohol is masked well.

M - Medium-bodied and mildly carbonated.

D - Pretty drinkable for the abv, as the alcohol is not very noticeable. The huge hops make it a sipper, though.

Overall an excellent beer (if you're a hop fan). Very hoppy with the nice sweetness of a red ale cutting through. I wouldn't drink more than one at a time, but I wouldn't have a problem having one pretty frequently.

09-26-2009 23:56:51 | More by Scottliff
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing Co.