Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black Pilsner - Stone Brewing Co.

Cambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black PilsnerCambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black Pilsner

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: alexd3891 on 07-24-2009

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

12oz bottle, served in a Stone Levitation glass. thanks to a74gent for the trade and knocking this off of my wants list. Cheers!

A - pours with about half an inch of very creamy and tight, milkshake colored foam. the beer is a *very* dark ruby/brown color, close to black. chalky and spotty rings of lace are left behind.

S - dark roasted malts, yet held just before the point of being charred. balanced by ample sweetness: vanilla, milk chocolate, toasted nuts, and coconut. some hints of booze and rum as well as weak coffee and black tea.

T - whoa! follows its true colors with many porter-like qualities. dark malts provide hints of charred bitterness, ash, and light smokey flavors. sweetness comes into play as toasted nuts, brown sugar, vanilla beans, and chocolate. earthy hops add some ample yet not distracting bitterness. finishes with some hints of coffee and licorice.

M - medium body, with moderate and slightly sharp carbonation...cuts easily and nicely through the robust flavors. leaves a lingering roasty bitterness, earthy hops, and slightly sweet malty finish.

D - defines all logic of what a lager is capable of. insanely dangerous at 10% and delicious to boot. a sipper for sure but goes down very easy. hands down my favorite Stone collaboration to this point, which is saying a lot considering I've been a huge fan of all of them. (1,360 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Deep black with a nice ruby hue as it is held up to the light. Some medium tan head tops the brew.

S: Dry malt notes, slightly bready. There is a little bit of a nice syrupy/ caramelized scent going on. There is a nice earthy hop aroma in the finish.

T: Earthy hops come out right away, then some nice maple and malt notes come out. The finish rounds out with some hop bitterness featuring earthy, and pine notes.

M: Medium in body, smooth, with possibly a little too much carbonation, but it isn't too off.

D: Quite an enjoyable beer. Good balance with the hop and malt flavors clashing in a thoroughly enjoyable way. (628 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

This Black Pilsner, a collaboration between Stone, CBC, and BrewDog was an incredible juxtaposition of styles and flavors well executed to yield a fresh and unique tasting beer. I bought this bottle because I have been meaning for some time now to give Stone a fourth (or fifth) chance. Stone has been somewhat of an anomaly to me, it is generally highly regarded as a top caliber microbrewery, and offers a full range of styles, vintages, and special beers that would make any beer drinker interested, but yet, to this day, several years into my beer drinking obsession, I have not had a Stone beer I've liked, until now. If you had asked me yesterday, I might have attributed this to Stone putting out an inferior product, or the claim that there are far better beers for the money; but, after drinking Juxtaposition I am convinced that ill favor and plain old bad luck are to blame for the half dozen or so different Stone beers I've tried being sub par.

As I poured this beer I was surprised by it's stout like blackness, and mid-brown head that filled the top finger of my glass. Immediately I thought the beer smelled strongly similar to an IPA; however, as I smelled the beer again I began to notice it's strong roasted coffee malt profile paired with dried fruit, and noticed almost a spiciness to the hops. My tasting of this beer closely followed the experience of smelling it. I think anyone trying a small sample of this beer could be severely mislead by its initial flavor profile and miss completely the subtleties and careful balances present.

Though the bottle claims inspiration from Winston Churchill on driving a point home bluntly, I think the first taste of this beer is a far cry from what it will build to. At 10%ABV the alcohol is well masked, and the flavor profile is rich, yet there is a lot in the balance between IPA, Pilsner, and Stout that can be found, if given the chance.

Final thoughts: This beer reversed 3 years of bad beer luck for me with Stone. Juxtaposition is quite the oddball in terms of style, my first thoughts were that it was more like a Black IPA similar to ones offered by Deschutes and several other breweries. Unlike the many Black IPA's on the marked claiming to be new and innovative styles, Juxtaposition delivers on the claim.

Try this beer if you find it, you just might not find something like this again. I'm very happy, albeit a little confused.

***Edit***
A few other reviewers noted the taste of rum and molasses being present, this was among the stranger tastes in the beer, that oddly filled out the beer's flavor profile, despite my not liking rum. Also, in response to remarks about this beer's alcohol not being well masked, at a decently cold temperature I was hard pressed to taste the alcohol, and only when the beer had been poured for 20 or 30 minutes could I taste it.
Cheers. (2,856 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Doodler for this extra...

A - One fingers worth of frothy creamy reactionary light to medium tan colored head... Average retention gives way to a creamy ful lace and collar... Dark but slightly less the opaque... Deep rich brown color with a ruby hue...

S - Dark fruit... Fig... Raisins... Molasses... Mild chocolate... Brown sugar... A very mild earthiness lies deep beneath the surface... Surprising maltiness for Pilsner...

T - We have a trifecta of hops, malts, and booze... After a very quick malty burst, the hops that were more than absent in terms of scent materialize in an assertive fashion and take on a piney character... The hops are joined on the finish by a not so subtle booziness and licorice presence...

M - Full bodied... Smooth... Sleek... Creamy... Rich... Dense... Turns slightly bitter and slightly dry on the finish...

D - Perhaps more of an American Strong Ale then a Pilsner, but a quality brew none the less... A definite sipper... Definately not what I expected, but quite enjoyable none the less... (1,046 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a super dark ruby red that looks just about black with a large milk chocolate head that slowly faded into a thin film that left patches of sticky lacing.
S: Notes of dark fruit, light chocolate and dark malt. Very roasted scents.
T: Very strange. Nothing like a pilsner at all. I pick up burnt malt, licorice, coffee, dark fruits, rum, marshmallows, mint, cigarettes, slight vanilla, citrus hops and spices. Tastes like a light stout. Lots of alcohol flavor in the finish from the high ABV, but not too warm.
M: Dry, medium body with decent carbonation. Could use a little more though.
D: This beer is not really for me, although about half way through it started growing on me a little more. This beer is hard to compare. Tastes like a light grand cru, or a strong ale. Not bad, but I wish I hadn't wasted seven bucks. (870 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +12.8%

Alright, I've never before tried an imperial pilsener, and here I go with a BLACK one. No comparison possible between this and a normal imperial pilsener, but then is it possible to compare this to anything else anyway?

Pours a murky cola colour, black for the most part but transparently brown at the edge. Head is lacklustre in size but not appearance. Cream colour, small but retaining some filmy bubbles and some nice speckly lace residue. Pretty nice.

Nose is wonderfully sweet, and spicy. Beautiful. Absolutely gorgoues. I'm just going to fill this review with positively valenced adjectives because conjunctions and prepositions just don't do this smell justice. Lots of chocolate. Licorice. Spicy coffee. Soapy notes. Kahlua. Lavender, definitely. Floral, chocolatey, sweet. Bloody brilliant. Fucking love it. Can only be described with gobsmacked sentence fragments. Embalm my dead body in this shit, please.

Yeah, huge licorice all through that palte. Starts with a star anise spice, then gets sweeter but spicier in increasing dosage but maintaining their balance with each other. Fair amount of mint, with mild chocolatey notes and a slight rum hit (distilled sugar flavour) as well. Touch of vanilla towards the back and a hint of alcohol bite, but really well hidden. I can imagine people disliking this if they dislike black jellybeans but to me this beer is just beautifully handled between sweet, dark and spice. Doesn't finish with quite enough gusto but an overall brilliant palate.

Mouthfeel is the slightest bit of a letdown as it feels a bit thin, especially for the strength and the fullness of the flavour. Has a smoothness and a light nip on the back, but just a touch watery.

I'm surprised, actually, that a collaboration could produce something this good. I feel like with something so experimental it would have to be a singular madman's vision that somehow came good. But in this case three mad geniuses have produced something ultra-special. If I ever need to be euthanised I will choose to drown in a huge vat of this beer, after being chased in there by a stampede of naked Japanese nurses. (2,127 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a deep and heavy black colour, with twinges of ruby when held to the light. Head is only languidly formed, a creamy single finger of beige foam. Body looks dense, and there's some carbonation that stays static in the glass when it's swirled. Little lacing, otherwise a very good looking brew.

Nose is incredibly hoppy, a huge burst of fragrantly pungent and spicy West Coast hops. It almost smells like an IPA - big passionfruit characters, stonefruit, resin. Under it though, there are big twinges of darker things - a little oak perhaps, a bit of roasted malt, and something very classically Stone that I can't quite put my finger on. Something sweet but spicy in it as well, almost like liquorice or juniper. What a nose. It's so unusual, and so beautiful. I know it doesn't really fit into any category stylistically - and as a result, it's hard to score, but damn it's delicious.

Taste just adds another layer of bizarre attraction to it. If I were served this completely blind, I'd be shellshocked by the taste, because after the subtly tweaked heavily hopped nose, I'd be expecting a rush of hop characters. But here the dark characters come to the fore, notes of chocolate malt, roasted grains, rye bread, stilled underpinned by a strong and everpresent hop bite.

What's perhaps more extraordinary is that despite its weight, the mouthfeel stays relatively clean. It doesn't cloyingly layer on the tongue, but clears out once the message has been delivered. Still, there's certainly slickness on the palate, which is only to be expected.

What a great beer. I love Stone's three-way collaborations, they always come up with something so unusual, but something that feels as though it should always have existed this way. This is a classic example - a black pilsener, loaded with hop character and brewed to 10%. In a world where novelty is valued, you can't argue with that. (1,892 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -4.3%

I poured this into a pilsner glass from a 12oz. bottle.
At first look it pours pitch black, but thanks to the glass you can see dark brown with ruby highlights. Nice one finger, tan head that leave some lacing but not much.
A little bit of fruit gone bad on the nose, this might be due to the aging, it isn't too strong but still noticeable. Rich malts and still some hops in the bg.
Wow, roasted malts prevail but the hop bitterness is still easy to detect. A very earthy tasting beer, I enjoyed the feel and flavor. It does seem to fit with the description of the style though it is above the normal ABV, which might account for some of the differences. If you can find one I would suggest giving it a go. (707 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours dark brown with orange corners and a thin, wet, khaki head. Smells and tastes like black tea with candied orange. Very bitter. What the hell. This is nonsense. As if the ridiculous name, collaboration gimmickry, and ludicrous made-up oxymoron 'style' weren't enough, they had to make it taste like Celestial Seasonings? This is a slap in the face, but it tastes okay I guess. (381 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5%

Found this still in the fridge of a local bottle shop! Have one sitting in the fridge from a six pack I bought when it was first released. I was really excited to see how this newy acquired bottle would be with more then a year on it and from a random store!

Poured in my duvel tulip. Nice inch of brown coffee head with lots of bubbles on the side.

The scent is sweet yeasty goodness. A bit on the sweet side.

The taste is amazing. A strong dark/sweet malt flavor upfront. Then goes into a buttery creamy bitter finish...if that even makes sense. Then finishes with a strong bitter hop bite! WOW the hops have really held up over the past year!

Think I am going back to get some more bottles! (697 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a standard 12oz brown bottle into a pint. It appears a dark brown color that has hues of a more reddish brown around the edges. It displays a head with more than 2 fingers of browned mocha fluff that retains pretty decent and sticks in small patches about the glassware. Sweet aroma has characteristics of both malty goodness and also citrus hops. The blend of citrus in the nose comes together with a fruity scent almost like grapes. Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting that from a beer this dark or a ahh... imperial pils? Rounding out the nose is some floral citrus notes along with an ever increasing amount of alcohol making itself know as the beer warms. The flavor of this beer is really something different, but in a good way. It is bitter chocolately malt upfront with a big alcohol presence and malty flavors like dark fruits a bit like prunes laden with alcohol. The finish is quite bitter with flavors of dark chocolate and some citrus hops. Lingering bitterness clings in the mouth along with a slight alcohol sting that warms the back of the throat. Medium bodied with a modest amount of carbonation, this beer was really good.

I hope I can get another to lay down for awhile to see what happens. I don't know what to make of this beer as far as placing it into a category. If you acquire this beer looking for a doulbe or imperial pils you might be a bit disapointed with the dark malt characteristics present. However, enjoying this beer for what it is regardless of the category really made it worth while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (1,563 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Ok, a double pilsner that's black. Soo, is it a pilsner? Oh, well, enough thinking...

pours black with reddish tints, dark brown. A nice head appears, rocky, off tan, 2 fingers. Looks darn good, but since it doesn't look like a pilsner, no 5 :)

Interesting aroma, too. Malty and sweet, but not too much so. It has a slight roasted coffee blended in, some soft chocolate and snappy hops. Citrus and pine mix.

I still would not call this a pilsner, and the label's story is pointless, albeit kind of cool. The hops are not light, but not powerful, and the soft biscuit and water found in pilsners is not here. To be sure, it is delicious. Roasted malt is nice, almost perfectly balanced with the hops. A bit minerally too.
It's a very good beer, but the category of style makes me wonder. (791 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle. This was $7.89 from Beer Run in Charlottesville.

Appearance: Black with just a hint of dark red highlights around the edges. Big, thick, dark brown head with good retention. Spotty lacing gets pulled down by legs.

Smell: Sweet malt, roasty chocolate and coffee, spicy hops, and a strong, earthy pine tar smell. Phenolic. Strange and good.

Taste: I think if I didn't know what kind of beer this was, I'd call it a hoppy, weird tasting stout. Its mostly sweet and roasted malt flavors with some burnt charcoal in the finish. Again, spicy and earthy hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Definitely the fullest mouthfeel of any pilsner ever. Like a big stout, but not as creamy or lush as an RIS. Very nice though.

Drinkability: I bought this a long time ago, and practically forgot about it. I didn't think I would be happy with it, but the first smell of it changed my mind. Its a really good beer, and different than anything else. Worth a try, but not a good deal really for the price. (990 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to Jon for picking this one up for me. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon Pilsner.

A: Moderate pour yields a gigantic, upwards rising 4 finger head that completely overflowed the glass. Head is a frothy, solid, faintly reddish coffee color with good retention. Beer is a dark, near opaque amber. Lacing is thick and with good stick.

S: Coffee, licquorice, brownie, cocoa, honey, and creamy toffee hops. Mouthwatering flavor with a slight background of booziness. Absolutely delicious.

T: Yeasty and chocolatey upfront with a sweet coffee flavor. Slightly nutty also, this may be the single most uniquely flavored beer I've ever come across. Hops mixed up with toffee invade my palate as does an almost tea like quality. I'm not really sure what to think here and my mouth definitely isn't helping. Almost like an imperial stout but not as heavy and with a more upfront hop character. Finishes hoppy accented by a sweet molasses that lingers in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, and relatively smooth and oily. Sticky also and surprisingly easy drinking considering the abv. This is a beer that'll sneak up on you. Finish is messy and lingers.

D: A unique beer to say the least, I've never had anything even remotely close to this so there's nothing to compare to... YET... I know a good beer when I experience it, and this one is one of Stone's winning collaborations. Try to seek this one out. I promise that if anything else, it'll be memorable. (1,492 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks goes out to gford217 for this one.

Pours a black color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy tan head, with some very nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is a nice blend of hops/malts, spicy, with some chocolate/toffee. The taste is hoppy, malty, with some slight citrus, chocolate/toffee notes. Medium body. Drinkable, I would not call this a Double Pilsner, pretty close to a Barleywine, non-the-less it is a tasty brew. (439 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a mocha head that leaves some lacing, but dies down fast, elaving a small lid.

Smells great! Smells much alike an imperial stout, but with a herbal lightness to it that I'm not used to. Fruity and roasted with fresh herbal and floral notes to it.

Taste kicks of with an overwhelming milk chocolate that via herbal hops goes over into heavily roasted coffee, and a bitterness from the hard roasting kind of crushes it all, feels like this could have been so much better, the bitter roast falls like an inpenetrable fog over any possible other flavours. Leaves an astringent bitterness on my palate.

Mid-viscous liquid with a light carbonation, but the astringent feeling in the end ruins it a bit for me. (723 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grassy hops, lightly roasted malts, citrus and touches of chocolate and caramel.

T: The taste starts out with a grassy burst of hops bitterness that is quickly followed by a hearty but not too heavy malt character and some lager yeast breadiness. Then some mild sweetness comes in from flavors of chocolate, caramel and citrus to create a good balance. There's also a hint of an alcohol sting. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty and very complex, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, this is a very good beer to drink for as long as you're able to when you're looking for something different. (918 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very attractive black beer with a thick frothy tan head that leaves a few thin horizontal lines and spots of lace. It says bottle conditioned, but I saw little to no yeast on the bottom. Pleasantly sweet aroma that is malty, a little perfumey, with a hint of anise. Increasing vanilla with temperature. Lovely deep roasted malt flavor with a nicely bitter aftertaste that has just the slightest hint of licorice. This aftertaste really coats your tongue and stays around for a long time. Creamy mouthfeel that is a little hot (expected) but very smooth. Overall an excellent beer that is highly enjoyable. (605 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Was at a great beer bar (Comet) and they lost my Credit Card so they gave me one of these on the house ($12.00 per bottle, ouch). Had it in a tulip hybrid glass. Pours dark brown with a small head that kept it's ring around the glass for a bit. Strong hops on nose (reminds me of Hopslam two/three years ago with the Hoppy grapefruit aroma). Taste sweet at first and them a roasted chocolate like maltiness with the citrusy hoppiness to give me a bit of a bite on the end. It seems low on the carbination, but close to being a full body with that bite. The drinkablity reminds me a of a black IPA but it is definitely not a black IPA. Is a very unique brew but not sure if worth the price. (689 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

This is made with Japanese and New Zealand hops. It poured a pitch black. It smelled like raisins, dates, prunes, maple syrup then spicy hops. It tasted like raisins, stewed plums, sweet malt than some spicy hoppy bitterness mixed with some juicy luscious fresh mango. Really good. High drinkability and not much burn for the alcohol- it was pretty well hidden. (361 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

I don't know why there are two different listings for this beer. This is a copy of my review from the other listing for Juxtaposition.

Picked this up at Cap n Cork. Poured into Duvel tulip (I figured a tulip would be my best bet, but as said before what is the proper glassware for a black imperial pilsner?)

A: Impenetrable black with a 1" khaki head. Decent head retention. The head is maintained as a thin ring around the glass. Good lacing.

S: Woah. This smells like peaches, maybe apricots. Some grapefruit like citrusy hops. An earthy, roasted malt is subtle but perceivable.

T: Sweet fruity peach like taste up front (it reminds me of what I imagined "sploosh" from the book Holes to taste like). A subtle earthy/roasty/slightly chocolate malt flavor in the middle. Citrusy grapefruit hops at the end.

M: Not very carbonated. Medium to full bodied. A decent bite.

D: The alcohol is very well disguised, but definitely a bit more of a sipper.

I am impressed and intrigued by this beer... never really had anything like it. Hats off to Stone for creating something entirely original and unique, but still delicious. (1,127 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Juxtaposition says it all. this one makes you step back and question the very nature of beer.

Dark Mahogany and clouded like a foggy London night. Light off white head that laces well down the side.

Nose is coffee, with some sweet candy and fruit.

Taste is perplexing. The word pilsner makes you think light and while this one does go down smooth it is packed with flavor. Strong notes of coffee and with a sudden hop slam in the middle. Sweet malt is present also.

Drinks well and feels good going down.

A good experiment thinking outside the box. (557 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9.8%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours black in the glass, with 2 rigid fingers of light mocha colored head. This retains very nicely, with a rich and frothy flareup that leaves a sticky latticework of foamy lace all down the sides of the glass. The aroma is all aggressive hops up front, being full of pine resins, dank earth, and spice, as well as a fruity citric edge that keep this juicy in the nostrils. Honestly though, as good as the hop character is here, it's the rich roasty mix of chocolate malts and coffee which sits underneath that is the real winner here. Just a great balance between the hops and roast here in the nose. Not much alcohol to the aroma at all either maybe just adding some beefiness to the bouquet.

The taste pretty much mirrors the aroma, with a strong resinous nature to the hops that lays plenty of spice, pine, and bitter grapefruit on the tongue. All of that hop character is wonderfully balanced though by thick notes of chocolate and toffeed sweetness before sharp smokey roast and black coffee just absolutely blasts the back of the profile, leaving a deeply burnt and dry bitter feel in it's wake. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, with a sharp crispness to it that sits on top of a more hefty and chewy feel underneath. Warmth spreads out in the mouth after each sip but this is still VERY smooth on the palate for such a big beer. This is probably where I pick up most of the Pils aspect of this. Most impressive.

Brash and bold with it's use of hops, dark roast, and big ABV, I have to admit that this beer might not be for everyone but I for one really liked how this turned out. Almost like a hearty Black IPA but with the smooth drinkibility of a crisp Pils. Really great stuff here that I'm hoping is revisited at some point. (1,786 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +12.1%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle
Purchased at Whole Foods, New York, NY
Served in a pilsner glass

The beer poured a near pitch black with dark brown edges when held to the light. A stiff, creamy, cuppucino-colored, three-finger head capped the liquid. Thick rings of sticky lacing coated the upper third of the glass.

The aroma was super smooth and quite interesting. Surprisingly fruity and somewhat sweet. Sightly roasty. Malty rich with lots of dark chocolate notes. Some earthy, herbal, German-style hops appeared as the beer warmed.

Like the nose, the flavor profile was rather intriguing. Here again, the chocolate notes came through strong. Moderately roasty up front, yet not in the least bit ashy or bitter. Semi-sweet and fruity in the center. Citrusy. Somewhat buttery. The finish was hoppy, in a piney and raw sort of way. Lots of hoppy bitterness carried into the dry, lingering aftertaste. Wow. This beer really kept me on my toes.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied for the style with an average amount of carbonation. A bit thinner than I anticipated for a beer of this magnitude. Creamy, frothy and smooth on the palate.

Drinkability was simply astounding. This very well may have been the most quaffable 10% ABV beer I have ever sampled. It drinks like something half its strength.

At times, brewers try too hard to make something new and different in a beer. That was not the case however with this gem. The eclectic combination of ingredients worked together seamlessly. Overall, a fantastic brew that is far greater than the sum of its parts. Definitely seek this one out. (1,595 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer pours a lovely shade of, well, black. Notes of light copper are visible at the edges. A foamy cocoa head chills out atop, receding, but never leaving completely.

Very interesting smell. German yeast, sweet and funky. Medium-dark roastiness imparting tones of bitter coffee. Bright, flowery hops. Maybe even some dark fruits, raisins, plums. Smells very much like you would expect a combination pilsner-porter to smell -- and I like it.

Wow...ahh...hmm. This one begs some contemplation. Roasty malt impacts at the front. Coffee, dates. Even a little bit of bourbon. As the beer warms, I get more and more citrusy hops. But for all the flavor that the thing begins with, a dry, clean finish hits at the swallow. A slight bitterness hangs on the tongue. Pretty amazing.

Full body, high carb. Creamy. Decadent.

This is one collaboration the beer definitely benefits from. It combines the best points of both styles while losing nothing. Now if they could only do something about the price. (1,003 characters)

Cambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black Pilsner from Stone Brewing Co.