Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic AleStone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: superdedooperboy on 09-08-2009

This is quite a complex and layered beer. Bold and smooth chocolate malt flavors combine with a Belgian yeast lending tropical fruit/banana flavors and hints of spiciness, all complemented by citrus notes from an addition of tangerine peel. Rich vanilla beans add a nice counter to the chocolate malt - actually enhancing the chocolatiness. The finish is smooth, with additional traces of vanilla and toasted characters from French Oak. The goal for this edition of the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series is to be reminiscent of artisanal chocolates accentuated with orange.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 850 | Reviews: 537
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a pint glass and quickly built up a nice 3 finger think dark tan head, very dark brown color like a Porter. Smells lightly roasted and nutty with some type of citrus smell (odd). Tastes of toasted caramel upfront with sort of a piney citrusy aftertaste, these flavors don't mesh well together in my opinion. Mouthfeel is very smooth and light to medium, just looking at this beer in the glass I expected it to be heavier but it's still nice. Very easy to drink but nothing really stands out to me and the citrus aftertaste I could do without. A good beer overall though.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

(Originally Reviewed on 05/01/2010)

Stone vertical epic - 09/09/09 release

$8 (Pinocchio's beer garden)
Glass - yuengling black & tan pint glass
1 pt 6 fl oz

A - licorice black, no light passing through. Alabaster head that dissapates quickly.

S - mocha, cocoa, vanilla and citrusy hops. Belgian-like yeast recognizable. I think I sense some caramel as well. Nice aroma, add it to my 'candle scent series'. Belgian aspects give it that 'banana bread' aroma

T - deep roasted malts first recognizable flavor - nice combination of coffe and dark cocoa. Dark fruits, maybe vanilla. Carmel is present, coats the mouth well

M - medium to full body, not very hoppy, decent carbonation, chalky but the flavor does stay with you. Warming.

D - hey, it's a stone's product. Not one of their monster hop products but full of flavor as expected from stone. Good drink worthy of storing for a year or two or 2012 as recommended by the brewery. I will likely buy another and find the strength to store it until 2012

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured this from a 22oz bottle that I happened upon. It poured dark w/ a mocha-colored head. Surprisingly, it didn't have any lacing. The smell was roasted malt, dark chocolate, and intense hop spice and bitterness. The taste reflected the same as the smell. Dark fruit and chocolate were evident in the taste, also. I didn't taste or smell the tangerine that was mentioned on the bottle, but I did get a slight banana smell. Vertical 090909 has a full, chewy mouth w/ plenty of complexity. It isn't for everyone, though. I am looking forward to aging the entire Vertical Epic and tasting them.

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Deep black Belgian Style Ale, with a creamy caramel head

S: Vanilla hints with a hint of oak

T: Roasted Malt flavor with an espresso taste with a dark chocolate finish

M: Robust mouthfeel, that melts like butter on the back of your tongue

D: This drinks more like an amazing after dinner Port and pairs well with French Vanilla Ice Cream!!

4.49/5  rDev +10%

Poured into oversized wine glass

Pours a shade lighter than black, half finger mocha colored head with hint of red rise and fades moderately fast to a slight slick; little lacing. Strong smell of caramels, chocolate, vanilla bean, and faint fruity esters; smells great cant wait for the first sip. Chocolate and vanilla roasted malt is complex in its notes, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, toffee, strong vanilla and cappuccino, balanced nicely by citrusy and herbal hops and esters of banana and a tad bit of spice. Silky is the only way to describe the mouth feel of this amazing brew. Wow do I love this beer! To bad it is not sold on the reg, but I will have no problem finishing my bomber!

4.76/5  rDev +16.7%

I'm writing this review in American in protest of the English only policy.

First off the style seems to be more like a porter not a belgian strong dark. The head is gorgeous. The lacing is so fine I would make a wedding dress out of it if it wouldn't leave me naked at the altar oh and if I wasn't a guy.

It pours a beautiful shade of dark brown with orange hues. The nose on this is slightly smoky with more dominant notes of chocolate, coffee, cloves, citrus and vanilla. The palate is is more chocolate with a less present coffee quality. As it warms it picks up more of the cloves and coriander that was in the nose finishing with a nice vanilla note.

This is without question the best vertical epic I've had and likely the the best Stone brew I've tasted to date.

2.56/5  rDev -37.3%

A - Thick and dense dark brown-black with a nice 1 inch thick tan head.

S - Citrus, dark chocolate, some malt and belgian yeast phenolics

T - The beer has too much going on and its very muddy. Chocolate hits in the forefront and citrus on the back note but inbetween is a very strange flavor resembling burnt toast.

M - Too thin for traditional belgian styles, a tad thick for a porter, but it worked together ok.

D - Not quite a drain pour but nothing I will seek out. Ive now had all the Vertical Epic series beers dating back to 04 and this is the only one that didn't blow me away.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Dark brown with a dark tan head that pours thin but lasts

S- Citrus and dark fruits with dark malts

T- Heavy chocolate malt with dark fruit Belgian flavors from the yeast. Finishes a bit more roasty than I would have expected. Low hop flavors. The Belgian flavors battle with the dark malts. Dark malts seem to dominate the Belgian flavors too much.

M- Creamy at first then thins.

D- Very drinkable, just not as impressive as I would have hoped it had been.

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

I've had this one a few times and am finally getting around to typing it out.

A- Very dark. Nice tan head at about 1" pouring into a tulip.

S- Strong sweet smell, with a strong alcohol smell. Didn't smell bad, but when I took a deep breath I got a little light headed.

T- Roasted coffee, caramel, candy sugar, slight tart flavor.

M- Thick but not too thick. Fairly well carbonated which dances on your tounge.

D- I wouldn't drink these all night, but had no problem finishing the 22 oz bomber, and wouldn't mind a little more after the bottle was finished.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into my new love, a duvel tulip. Had about a light brown head about an inch high due to my laziness. Color is a dark chocolatey brown.

Smells first off like bananas along with a touch of alcohol and chocolate.

Has a bit of a roasted coffee flavor to it with a lingering aftertaste that is slightly bitter (but not bad).

Smooth across the tongue, not much else to say.

I'm not really wowed by this but I could probably have a few of these. I'd like to try it again in a few years to see how it is, thankfully I've already got some bottles ready to age.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A--Dark, oliy brown with minimal foam, but not undercarboanted.

S--Strong coffee, vanilla; a bit of bitter chocolate and some toffee. Some fruit notes too...maybe a little black cherry or plum?

T--As others have mentioned, tastes like it smells. But it has a delightful carbonation and delicious, lingering finish that echoes for a long time on the tongue.

M--Again, the carbonation lends a nice effervescence, and the bpdy is pleasingly substantial without being overbearing.

D--Very drinkable, though for my personal taste, 22 oz. is more than enough. An excellent, complex beer with very good potential. I look forward to my next glass...probably around the end of the Mayan calendar.

Procured at Whole Foods Valencia, CA

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Dark brown, with slight head upon pouring and nice lace afterwards

S - Can really smell the chocolate malt, also hints of citrus

T - Malty, smooth and chocolatey, slight alcohol taste at the end

M - Rich and smooth on the palate

D - Very drinkable, at 8.9% I may be able to drink more than 1 but I don't see the point

This is overall a fantastic beer. Rich, smooth, and chocolately this is a terrific dessert beer.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

I drank this with Cavery and Klym, those morning lushes!

A: Big brown head and a murky chocolate brown color. Can't see through it at all, no snorkeling in this pond. Like a lot of other beers from Stone, it has great lacing.

S: Smells like roasted pumpkin seeds, salty dark chocolate, and a pinch of nutmeg. In fact, this would make a killer ass pie. The smell is rich and like autumn in a glass.

T: Mouth eruption! Initially tastes like walnuts, with a nice dark chocolate center and finish. This really does taste like a $10 candy bar you get somewhere called "Le Choc" or whatever.

M: Creamy and thick, not fizzy. Like a dessert, it stands on it's own.

O: This beer is powerful and delicious, like the stallion of beers.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

It has been a while since my last review so I figured I’d pick up where I left off...with an offering from the folks at Stone Brewery!

To get off on the right foot, let’s raise another glass to Stone Brewery and the magic they make over there in California!
This time I’m drinking a pint (6 fl oz) bottle of their Vertical Epic 09.09.09…a beer that is (for what should be extremely obvious reasons) getting harder and harder to get a hold of. I’m in for a treat—I know!

From the pour one thing and one thing alone strikes me—it's obvious but always something that tickles me pink!--the dark, dark color!

This is a big dark beer and what follows—as suited for these types of beers!—is that big bold, beautifully bitter aroma. From the pour we are also given quite a good head, I’d say it should average 1.5-2.0 inches if given a good pour. The head then lingers for a while--giving you that golden window of opportunity to sniff-sniff-sniff away! And boy does 09.09.09 give you a bouquet to sniff at. Though darker beers typically have less to offer in the realm of aroma and a lighter colored beer of this richness would likely provide more for the nose, this brew still does not disappoint. We’ve obviously got a lot of burnt maltiness and some vanilla/coffee notes but we’ve also got a great balance of alcohol reminding you you’re not sniffing at the wort—but actually the end result of the brewing process!—and it’s toting an ABV of 8.6%.

The first sip, well, there it all is. From a full mouth of the stuff you’re going to get a lot of the alcohol, that’s just how it works; but from a smaller swig you can really taste the complexity of this beer as well as appreciate the almost creamy mouthfeel. Letting this brew sit on your palate for a second before gulping it down is a great experience. Doing so renders the balance of the flavors of this beer to the drinker—and it is quite nice. Chocolate malt, and woody flavors, are obviously present and as stated on the bottle there’s an element of vanilla which makes for a really nice aftertaste which is both bitter and sweet. Overall this beer is a great beer to sit and relax with and is a perfect addition to the legacy of quality Stone Brewery is building.

A: Dark! Good head with minimal lace.

S: Chocolate malt, burnt, bitter with a discrete sweetness.

T: Just what you expect. Bitter, chocolaty, nutty, oakey, with a slight vanilla sweetness which brings everything together for a pleasant aftertaste. Meanwhile the alcohol is there tasting as it does and doing its job. Very nice balance in this brew.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. Letting it sit on the palate this beer has a thicker heavier consistency and a the higher alcohol feel fitting of an 8.6 ABV.

O: 09.09.09 is a great dark beer. While my personal preference is something more like an oatmeal stout or a sweeter porter, this I still appreciated! I can recommend it for anyone who’s looking for a good dark beer that ends up being everything it says it is on the bottle. A good number of people are saying it might need to mature a bit longer and I might not be the best person to ask on this matter because my experience with cellaring is limited but I didn’t find the flavor to be lacking—and I didn’t think the balance was really off in any way, so I think two years has been a good amount of time for this brew to mature. At any rate get it while you can there are a limited number of these!

I tip my hat once more to the folks over at Stone Brewing!

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Stone IRS tulip

Appearance: Very dark brown almost opaque with frothy persistent deep brown head. Pretty syrupy.

Smell: Rich malty coffee-like aroma. Lots of fruity esters, orange peel and plum. Very sweet but slightly bitter as well. Belgian yeast characters.

Taste: Roasted dark coffee malty chocolate-like flavors with a hint of orange peel. Cand sugar-like sweetness, very rich. Fruity esters, plum, raisin, orange peel.

Mouthfeel: Full body, low carbonation. Very smooth.

Very rich complex beer with aromatic coffee chocolate flavors. Delicious. I'll look forward to aging the beer and try.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - dark, rich, and bold. Deep black with a thin, foamy white head. Poured into a Belgian-style snifter. Although light, the foam stays through and adheres slightly to the glassware.

S - roasted coffee comes through at first, followed by bits of dark chocolate and burnt wood. Continued whiffs bring memories of a good quality dark chocolate bar. I'm quickly falling in love here.

T - ok, the dark roasted notes I mentioned earlier SCREAM out loud in the taste. Slightly bittersweet, with taste of dark cocoa and a strong earthy balance. A nice mellow alcohol taste comes through in the finish, with some dryness. Really good stuff here.

M - the dark hues make it hard to take on too much of this beer at once. But if you take the time and appreciate a good quality porter, this is one to enjoy. The alcohol content provides a nice warmth to a very savory beer.

T - as someone who LOVES porters and stouts, this is a must try, even if it is in limited release. I wouldn't have even known this was brewed in a Belgian style if I hadn't known any better. Classic porter flavors that borders into stout characteristics. If you like your beer big, black, and bold, you gotta give this a try.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Very black. Quite a substantial medium-tan head with tiny, foamy bubbles.

Smell: Chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Banana split even, with the pineapple and banana-bready aromas. Bright, crisp, and clean with a hoppy spiciness.

Taste: Whoa! Very roasty with lots of chocolate. Intense flavor. The sweetness of pineapple mixes with a smoky, burnt vanilla bean for an interesting taste. Shocks my mouth with each sip! --Flavors mesh and calm down quite a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel: A strong jolt to the tongue. A bit too bitter for me. Overall very smooth; mild carbonation that is very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable in small quantities, but the full-bodiedness and intensity makes me hesitant for more.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked this up tonight in Blacklick

Poured from 22 oz bottle into Chimay glass

Beer is extremely dark. Just a hint of red when put under the light. The foam looks creamy, with a decent amount of head.

The smell is very intense and complex. It seems to balance somewhere between fruity and malty, with an earthy quality to it.

The taste is very well balanced. There is some brown sugar and chocolate towards the front, more brown sugar, as well as a smoky/burnt flavor towards the back. The aftertaste lingers and is bitter and smoky. The mouthfeel is medium (not as thick as it looks) and the carbonation is fairly light. There is a bite from alcohol, although some of this a very sharp hop bitterness I think.

Overall is not too dry, and not too sweet, with just enough complexity to keep it interesting. A great beer to start the fall with.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Another nice release from Stone. Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - poured a smooth amber color with a solid head that hangs around for ever.

S - The ever present hops that makes a Stone brew a Stone brew.

T - This is a nice beer. Very smooth for an 8.9AVB. Slightly hoppy with some caramel. Is there a bit of tobacco in there?

M/D - Good mouthfeel and very drinable.

I would reccomend this beer to anyone who loves delicious beer. The only reason it's not a full A+ all the way across is because it's not the best Stone Brew I've had.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

When I think of Belgian dark ales, I think of a slightly muddied version of an amber-at least a beer I can see a glimmer of light through. However, after pouring a pint of the 09.09.09, I already knew I was being slightly deceived by the title on the bottle: this was a porter or stout. It poured a delicious-looking midnight black color with a head that erupted like a volcano into a fluffy and succulent light brown froth.

The smell wasn't overpowering, though, with just a slight touch of cocoa and some sweeter citrus notes. The taste was immediately velvety soft, with a touch of vanilla bean and oaky-alcohol hitting up front. The following touches included sprinklings of orange zest, lemon, a thick yeasty layer, and the light finishing power of toned-down malt. Further sips revealed a boozier profile than I initially noted, with the smooth and filmy mouthfeel really becoming noticeable. As the beer warmed, the booze became even more pronounced, but the flavors seemed to separate even more. What was once a nice and subtle transition from vanilla and malt to citrus, was now a noticeable change, and the finishing notes were even more removed from the middle flourishes, with an abrupt and unwelcome splash of malt shielding the now odd citrus sprinklings.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Has a good dark color and a strong nose. When I poured it, it gave off a strong head and good aroma. The flavor sneaks up on you and finishes with a creamy chocolate flavor. I'd recommend drinking it alone or with a strong meal that would balance well with the flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Two-finger, mocha head. Body is pitch black and completely opaque. Thin lacing.

S - Nuanced: Booze. Caramel. Dark Chocolate.

T - Brings me back to childhood: Tastes just like a "Sugar Daddy." Delicious. Subtle hints of mint.

M - Smooth, round, buttery, and full-bodied.

D - This is a heavy beer, which suits the style. I loved it, but could only drink one.

Great beer. Definitely pick one up while they're still around.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Since we just got Stone into the state of Maine last year (Fall 2008), this was the first time I had an opportunity to try this yearly Stone series of beer...

Appearance - The look of this beer was quite inviting, with dark coloration. It looks thick and appears heavier (stout or Porter) than it actually tastes. A great tan head appears.

Aroma - I smell some hazelnut, cloves, and a hint of smoke. There was a note of something sweet, maybe I was picking up on the chocolate malts.

Taste - Layered with a variety of flavors for your taste buds to enjoy! I first caught the chocolate, then followed with some spicier hints of citrus. The Complexity is outstanding, and I wasn't disappointed.

Mouthfeel - As I said in the appearance, it is a bit deceiving when poured into a glass so I was expecting a dark, heavy beer that your needed a fork/knife to enjoy. This wasn't the case (for me), although the alcohol was somewhat noticeable for me.

Drinkability - I liked it a lot and have enjoyed several, either on its own and with a meal (great to wash down that Thanksgiving turkey).

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

This beer is black, nice brown foam, looks yummy!
Smell is sweet, little tangerine, little coffee, it as almost a smokey smell, lots of roasted malts.
Taste is very intense, almost overwhelming, malty, sweet, but well balanced with a lot of hops and malt bitterness.
Mouthfeel is as the taste a bit overwhelming but carbonation is good. It was no problem finishing one pint, but I did not get a second one, that would have been to much.
I think this one will get a lot better over time, it needs to mellow out a bit, now its just to much of everything.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%

Alright, so where to begin? I'm a big fan of the Vertical Epic Ales--they're very innovative concoctions and tend to "break the mold", if you don't mind me using a cliche. I managed to procure a few bottles from the local Beverages & More, which had literally received its shipment but minutes before I walked in. Such sweet serendipity.

Anyway, enough of my banter...on to the important stuff.

Appearance -
The look of this beer was quite inviting, having a subtle orange tint to an otherwise dark coloration. It looks thick, and, misleadingly enough, it appears heavier than it actually tastes. An ephemeral, tan head appears.

Aroma -
I smell banana, cloves, maybe a bit of hazelnut, and a predominant note of smoke. I don't really catch a vanilla aroma, although I do catch the sweet scent of the Belgian yeast. The chocolate malts aren't as noticeable here as they are in the taste (ostensibly)--I think the scent of smoke overpowers it.

Taste -
There's a nice harmony of chocolate, zesty citrus, some vanilla (though, again, I struggle to taste it--I kind of expected it to be less subtle, I guess?), balanced out hoppiness, and of course, smoke (akin to slightly burnt coffee grounds).

Mouthfeel -
Contrary to other reviewers and patrons here, I have to say that I thought the mouthfeel was a bit rough from what the VE's usually present. The alcohol was, I'm sorry to say, a bit too noticeable, and that accompanied with a bit of a heavy hand on the carbonation contributed, I felt, to a bit of an unpleasant feel. The taste definitely helps buttress this fault though, so it's certainly not a defeat for Stone here.

Drinkability -
After considering the mouthfeel, its drinkability was a bit impaired. However, after the taste and the complexity factor in, the beer is a very interesting and engaging experience. I, without a doubt, enjoyed the hour spent sipping it.

As a closing thought, while I still think that the '07 VE was by the far the best yet, this is a formidable addition to the ranks. I recommend trying it, if you can.

Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.