2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic AleStone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.60% ABV

This is quite a complex and layered beer. Bold and smooth chocolate malt flavors combine with a Belgian yeast lending tropical fruit/banana flavors and hints of spiciness, all complemented by citrus notes from an addition of tangerine peel. Rich vanilla beans add a nice counter to the chocolate malt - actually enhancing the chocolatiness. The finish is smooth, with additional traces of vanilla and toasted characters from French Oak. The goal for this edition of the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series is to be reminiscent of artisanal chocolates accentuated with orange.

(Beer added by: superdedooperboy on 09-08-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 807 | Reviews: 530 | Show All Ratings:
meich75

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Nice dark brown, almost black with a bit of tan head.

S: Roasted malts and chocolate with a bit of sweetness.

T: Everything comes together nicely in this one. Starts with a bit of chocolate with just a bit of sweet citrus finish. Liquid goodness.

M: Feels a bit lighter than it looks and tastes.

D: Drinkability is probably a little too good for a 9.5 ABV, could definitely have more of these.

09-10-2009 02:48:07 | More by meich75
Destral

Nevada

Had the 09.09.09 on tap in a goblet from Aces & Ales

Appearance:
Dark, with a medium brown head that fades quickly, leaving moderate lacing.

Smell:
Had a mild chocolate aroma, slightly smokey or roasted (almost like Starbucks coffee to me).

Taste:
Chocolate seems to overpower the other flavors, with roasted malt and a hint of bitterness following. Subtle alcohol kick, but nothing overwhelming.

Mouthfeel:
There was a surprising bit of carbonation (very fine bubbles), but full bodied and smooth.

Drinkability:
The 09.09.09 tops the list of Stone beers I've had. The richness of the flavors really hide the alcohol well, and it would be easy to have several of these sneak up on you if you're not careful.

10-21-2009 08:15:33 | More by Destral
scubazook

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Stone IRS tulip

Appearance: Very dark brown almost opaque with frothy persistent deep brown head. Pretty syrupy.

Smell: Rich malty coffee-like aroma. Lots of fruity esters, orange peel and plum. Very sweet but slightly bitter as well. Belgian yeast characters.

Taste: Roasted dark coffee malty chocolate-like flavors with a hint of orange peel. Cand sugar-like sweetness, very rich. Fruity esters, plum, raisin, orange peel.

Mouthfeel: Full body, low carbonation. Very smooth.

Very rich complex beer with aromatic coffee chocolate flavors. Delicious. I'll look forward to aging the beer and try.

10-28-2009 06:52:52 | More by scubazook
HoneyLamb

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Serving Type: a 22 ounce bottle was purchased in Winter of 2010 from J.B. Russo & Sons in Grand Rapids, Michigan for $6.99 (the label was still on the bottle). I remember the beer-guy there recommending that this beer be purchased and held for aging and maturing. Since Shangy's in Emmaus, Pennsylvania had a case of Vertical 09.09.09 available, which I greedily bought for $73, I had to drink the 22 ounce bottle I purchased from J.B. Russo & Sons right away.

Appearance: Hard pour into tall pilsner glass resulted in two-finger head. Foam cohered for over a minute and with an even film on the glass. Beer was dark tan with just a little light passing through the beer's darkness.

Smell: Mmmm...delicious sweet smelling aromas. A little nut and wood aromas as well.

Taste: The nut and wood smells were quite noticeable right away. The ale went down smooth and had an excellent aftertaste, but this ale feels like it needs another year for the flavors to mature.

Mouthfeel: Very compatible with my palette. Like I mentioned above, the aftertaste was excellent...especially as it got warmer. NOTE: this beer was poured straight from the fridge, so it tasted better as it warmed.

Overall: I wanted to give the overall a 4.5, but I feel the flavors may need another year to mature, so I settled for a 4.0. I'll update this review in about a year since I have a case of 09.09.09's to store and age.

01-11-2012 02:30:46 | More by HoneyLamb
LittleBug31

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance: Very black. Quite a substantial medium-tan head with tiny, foamy bubbles.

Smell: Chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Banana split even, with the pineapple and banana-bready aromas. Bright, crisp, and clean with a hoppy spiciness.

Taste: Whoa! Very roasty with lots of chocolate. Intense flavor. The sweetness of pineapple mixes with a smoky, burnt vanilla bean for an interesting taste. Shocks my mouth with each sip! --Flavors mesh and calm down quite a bit as it warms.

Mouthfeel: A strong jolt to the tongue. A bit too bitter for me. Overall very smooth; mild carbonation that is very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable in small quantities, but the full-bodiedness and intensity makes me hesitant for more.

01-04-2010 02:26:40 | More by LittleBug31
kylephillips

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Picked this up tonight in Blacklick

Poured from 22 oz bottle into Chimay glass

Beer is extremely dark. Just a hint of red when put under the light. The foam looks creamy, with a decent amount of head.

The smell is very intense and complex. It seems to balance somewhere between fruity and malty, with an earthy quality to it.

The taste is very well balanced. There is some brown sugar and chocolate towards the front, more brown sugar, as well as a smoky/burnt flavor towards the back. The aftertaste lingers and is bitter and smoky. The mouthfeel is medium (not as thick as it looks) and the carbonation is fairly light. There is a bite from alcohol, although some of this a very sharp hop bitterness I think.

Overall is not too dry, and not too sweet, with just enough complexity to keep it interesting. A great beer to start the fall with.

09-16-2009 01:15:18 | More by kylephillips
mayorwalda

4.08/5  rDev 0%

It has been a while since my last review so I figured I’d pick up where I left off...with an offering from the folks at Stone Brewery!

To get off on the right foot, let’s raise another glass to Stone Brewery and the magic they make over there in California!
This time I’m drinking a pint (6 fl oz) bottle of their Vertical Epic 09.09.09…a beer that is (for what should be extremely obvious reasons) getting harder and harder to get a hold of. I’m in for a treat—I know!

From the pour one thing and one thing alone strikes me—it's obvious but always something that tickles me pink!--the dark, dark color!

This is a big dark beer and what follows—as suited for these types of beers!—is that big bold, beautifully bitter aroma. From the pour we are also given quite a good head, I’d say it should average 1.5-2.0 inches if given a good pour. The head then lingers for a while--giving you that golden window of opportunity to sniff-sniff-sniff away! And boy does 09.09.09 give you a bouquet to sniff at. Though darker beers typically have less to offer in the realm of aroma and a lighter colored beer of this richness would likely provide more for the nose, this brew still does not disappoint. We’ve obviously got a lot of burnt maltiness and some vanilla/coffee notes but we’ve also got a great balance of alcohol reminding you you’re not sniffing at the wort—but actually the end result of the brewing process!—and it’s toting an ABV of 8.6%.

The first sip, well, there it all is. From a full mouth of the stuff you’re going to get a lot of the alcohol, that’s just how it works; but from a smaller swig you can really taste the complexity of this beer as well as appreciate the almost creamy mouthfeel. Letting this brew sit on your palate for a second before gulping it down is a great experience. Doing so renders the balance of the flavors of this beer to the drinker—and it is quite nice. Chocolate malt, and woody flavors, are obviously present and as stated on the bottle there’s an element of vanilla which makes for a really nice aftertaste which is both bitter and sweet. Overall this beer is a great beer to sit and relax with and is a perfect addition to the legacy of quality Stone Brewery is building.

A: Dark! Good head with minimal lace.

S: Chocolate malt, burnt, bitter with a discrete sweetness.

T: Just what you expect. Bitter, chocolaty, nutty, oakey, with a slight vanilla sweetness which brings everything together for a pleasant aftertaste. Meanwhile the alcohol is there tasting as it does and doing its job. Very nice balance in this brew.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. Letting it sit on the palate this beer has a thicker heavier consistency and a the higher alcohol feel fitting of an 8.6 ABV.

O: 09.09.09 is a great dark beer. While my personal preference is something more like an oatmeal stout or a sweeter porter, this I still appreciated! I can recommend it for anyone who’s looking for a good dark beer that ends up being everything it says it is on the bottle. A good number of people are saying it might need to mature a bit longer and I might not be the best person to ask on this matter because my experience with cellaring is limited but I didn’t find the flavor to be lacking—and I didn’t think the balance was really off in any way, so I think two years has been a good amount of time for this brew to mature. At any rate get it while you can there are a limited number of these!

I tip my hat once more to the folks over at Stone Brewing!

02-04-2012 02:52:23 | More by mayorwalda
Zeisloft

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Had on tap at Max's Taphouse- Baltimore

Max's description of Stones Vertical Epic 09/09/09 was just "Dark Belgian Ale". I wasn't too sure what to think before it came to me. But I was not thinking Porter. And then I saw it. Dark as night, creamy tan head. Porter overcame my mind. Chocolate came through on the nose, with not much else. Then the taste. Definitely some chocolate, vanilla and little spice. Could use more spice to break up the chocolate. I would expect a little more hoppy bitterness from Stone (but not too much to over power everything, just enough to pull everything together). The beer was not too heavy or too light.

I would not call it a Belgian. Maybe when sitting in a cellar it will round out better, but for now it is a Porter. With that note, I normally do not like porters. Usually a porter has the burnt taste to it. The VE090909 did not. It was sweet and delicious. Although, one was enough. Not something to have a night of. (Especially at 8.5%.) I think I will try to go and grab a couple of bottles, this is a beer that should be really good on a cold night in the winter. I am thinking Christmas time.

11-11-2009 22:08:37 | More by Zeisloft
k3punk

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Another nice release from Stone. Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - poured a smooth amber color with a solid head that hangs around for ever.

S - The ever present hops that makes a Stone brew a Stone brew.

T - This is a nice beer. Very smooth for an 8.9AVB. Slightly hoppy with some caramel. Is there a bit of tobacco in there?

M/D - Good mouthfeel and very drinable.

I would reccomend this beer to anyone who loves delicious beer. The only reason it's not a full A+ all the way across is because it's not the best Stone Brew I've had.

11-14-2009 00:47:08 | More by k3punk
wcuberos

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Has a good dark color and a strong nose. When I poured it, it gave off a strong head and good aroma. The flavor sneaks up on you and finishes with a creamy chocolate flavor. I'd recommend drinking it alone or with a strong meal that would balance well with the flavor.

01-07-2010 05:49:37 | More by wcuberos
BarBEERian

Montana

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

When I think of Belgian dark ales, I think of a slightly muddied version of an amber-at least a beer I can see a glimmer of light through. However, after pouring a pint of the 09.09.09, I already knew I was being slightly deceived by the title on the bottle: this was a porter or stout. It poured a delicious-looking midnight black color with a head that erupted like a volcano into a fluffy and succulent light brown froth.

The smell wasn't overpowering, though, with just a slight touch of cocoa and some sweeter citrus notes. The taste was immediately velvety soft, with a touch of vanilla bean and oaky-alcohol hitting up front. The following touches included sprinklings of orange zest, lemon, a thick yeasty layer, and the light finishing power of toned-down malt. Further sips revealed a boozier profile than I initially noted, with the smooth and filmy mouthfeel really becoming noticeable. As the beer warmed, the booze became even more pronounced, but the flavors seemed to separate even more. What was once a nice and subtle transition from vanilla and malt to citrus, was now a noticeable change, and the finishing notes were even more removed from the middle flourishes, with an abrupt and unwelcome splash of malt shielding the now odd citrus sprinklings.

03-23-2010 14:37:02 | More by BarBEERian
jlpayne

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Two-finger, mocha head. Body is pitch black and completely opaque. Thin lacing.

S - Nuanced: Booze. Caramel. Dark Chocolate.

T - Brings me back to childhood: Tastes just like a "Sugar Daddy." Delicious. Subtle hints of mint.

M - Smooth, round, buttery, and full-bodied.

D - This is a heavy beer, which suits the style. I loved it, but could only drink one.

Great beer. Definitely pick one up while they're still around.

12-11-2010 18:39:41 | More by jlpayne
himmelhuber

Arizona

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer is black, nice brown foam, looks yummy!
Smell is sweet, little tangerine, little coffee, it as almost a smokey smell, lots of roasted malts.
Taste is very intense, almost overwhelming, malty, sweet, but well balanced with a lot of hops and malt bitterness.
Mouthfeel is as the taste a bit overwhelming but carbonation is good. It was no problem finishing one pint, but I did not get a second one, that would have been to much.
I think this one will get a lot better over time, it needs to mellow out a bit, now its just to much of everything.

09-30-2009 18:26:39 | More by himmelhuber
Diablerie

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Alright, so where to begin? I'm a big fan of the Vertical Epic Ales--they're very innovative concoctions and tend to "break the mold", if you don't mind me using a cliche. I managed to procure a few bottles from the local Beverages & More, which had literally received its shipment but minutes before I walked in. Such sweet serendipity.

Anyway, enough of my banter...on to the important stuff.

Appearance -
The look of this beer was quite inviting, having a subtle orange tint to an otherwise dark coloration. It looks thick, and, misleadingly enough, it appears heavier than it actually tastes. An ephemeral, tan head appears.

Aroma -
I smell banana, cloves, maybe a bit of hazelnut, and a predominant note of smoke. I don't really catch a vanilla aroma, although I do catch the sweet scent of the Belgian yeast. The chocolate malts aren't as noticeable here as they are in the taste (ostensibly)--I think the scent of smoke overpowers it.

Taste -
There's a nice harmony of chocolate, zesty citrus, some vanilla (though, again, I struggle to taste it--I kind of expected it to be less subtle, I guess?), balanced out hoppiness, and of course, smoke (akin to slightly burnt coffee grounds).

Mouthfeel -
Contrary to other reviewers and patrons here, I have to say that I thought the mouthfeel was a bit rough from what the VE's usually present. The alcohol was, I'm sorry to say, a bit too noticeable, and that accompanied with a bit of a heavy hand on the carbonation contributed, I felt, to a bit of an unpleasant feel. The taste definitely helps buttress this fault though, so it's certainly not a defeat for Stone here.

Drinkability -
After considering the mouthfeel, its drinkability was a bit impaired. However, after the taste and the complexity factor in, the beer is a very interesting and engaging experience. I, without a doubt, enjoyed the hour spent sipping it.

As a closing thought, while I still think that the '07 VE was by the far the best yet, this is a formidable addition to the ranks. I recommend trying it, if you can.

09-11-2009 02:52:35 | More by Diablerie
recons54

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Since we just got Stone into the state of Maine last year (Fall 2008), this was the first time I had an opportunity to try this yearly Stone series of beer...

Appearance - The look of this beer was quite inviting, with dark coloration. It looks thick and appears heavier (stout or Porter) than it actually tastes. A great tan head appears.

Aroma - I smell some hazelnut, cloves, and a hint of smoke. There was a note of something sweet, maybe I was picking up on the chocolate malts.

Taste - Layered with a variety of flavors for your taste buds to enjoy! I first caught the chocolate, then followed with some spicier hints of citrus. The Complexity is outstanding, and I wasn't disappointed.

Mouthfeel - As I said in the appearance, it is a bit deceiving when poured into a glass so I was expecting a dark, heavy beer that your needed a fork/knife to enjoy. This wasn't the case (for me), although the alcohol was somewhat noticeable for me.

Drinkability - I liked it a lot and have enjoyed several, either on its own and with a meal (great to wash down that Thanksgiving turkey).

12-07-2009 18:45:12 | More by recons54
SanAnMan

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - dark, rich, and bold. Deep black with a thin, foamy white head. Poured into a Belgian-style snifter. Although light, the foam stays through and adheres slightly to the glassware.

S - roasted coffee comes through at first, followed by bits of dark chocolate and burnt wood. Continued whiffs bring memories of a good quality dark chocolate bar. I'm quickly falling in love here.

T - ok, the dark roasted notes I mentioned earlier SCREAM out loud in the taste. Slightly bittersweet, with taste of dark cocoa and a strong earthy balance. A nice mellow alcohol taste comes through in the finish, with some dryness. Really good stuff here.

M - the dark hues make it hard to take on too much of this beer at once. But if you take the time and appreciate a good quality porter, this is one to enjoy. The alcohol content provides a nice warmth to a very savory beer.

T - as someone who LOVES porters and stouts, this is a must try, even if it is in limited release. I wouldn't have even known this was brewed in a Belgian style if I hadn't known any better. Classic porter flavors that borders into stout characteristics. If you like your beer big, black, and bold, you gotta give this a try.

03-06-2010 02:02:56 | More by SanAnMan
edthered413

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a Gulden Draak tulip glass. Pours very dark, almost black with garnet hues on the outside of the glass when help up to the light, Nice two finger head that holds up well. Smell is of chocolate, slight roasted coffee, slight vanilla and slightly orange. Taste up front is chocolate and roasted barley with some coffee, a little vanilla. I was sipping this slowly and as it warmed I could taste more of the vanilla and also some orange and some oak. Medium mouthfeel and smooth. Very drinkable but a sip and savor type of beer to me. I think this one will be better with some aging.

09-13-2009 02:16:42 | More by edthered413
mikedepue

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - very dark with tan head, looks like a stout

S - Coffee mainly, some hops and spices

T - Tastes like a great black and tan, a near perfect combo of hops and malts

M - medium body, carb was a little much for the first couple minutes then it smoothed out

D - High, hides the alcohol well

11-22-2009 01:27:45 | More by mikedepue
VinnyA

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Bought a bottle from Capone's in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

A - One-finger brown head with good retention, opaque and black in color, lacing on glass.

S - Bread, sugar, chocolate and raisins

T - Had a bready taste to it, hints of toffee, some dark fruit and an alcohol taste on the back end that lingered a little bit.

M - Low carbonation, smooth, not very heavy for such a dark beer. Dry finish

O - Definitely a winter warmer. The alcohol taste is not masked well, but this is compensated by the flavor that is present as it hits the tongue. Not an overly "heavy" beer. I've sampled each Epic from '06-12 and for the darker styles, this one is only slightly above "average" for the series. the '06 is the more superior "Belgian Strong Dark Ale", in my opinion. Porter is probably a more accurate classification for this brew. A pleasure to try, but likely won't revisit this, if presented with the opportunity in the future.

12-27-2012 05:22:15 | More by VinnyA
mongodestroy

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Got it a little early from my store and got to drink it before the official release date.

Poured into a Belgian goblet style glass. Produced a head about a finger high which dissipated over a few minutes into a thin froth. Produced moderate lacing.

Aroma - Strong banana with slightly less strong hints of vanilla and roasted malt. Exotic fruits.

Taste - Classic stone hoppyness. roasty and sweet. Coffee and vanilla. Very enjoyable, but I feel as though there might be something lost in the hops. I wish the hops didnt cover up the vanilla so much.

Overall a very interesting and exciting beer.

09-09-2009 05:47:25 | More by mongodestroy
PvtVile

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this beer on tap at Aces and Ales in Las Vegas.

Look: This beer pours very dark, it has a little chocolate colored head.

Smell: Smells of chocolate and malts.

Taste: A little bitterness on the tip of the tongue and a nice coat of chocolate and coffee on the back of the mouth.

Feel: This beer is kind of thick and coats the mouth.

09-21-2009 08:24:26 | More by PvtVile
ColdBeer30

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

It was dark in the bar but I want to say the color of the beer was a dark cocoa with a dark tan creamy dense head on top. It was served to me in a wide mouth Chalice. Carbonation was low from the look but there was a full thick ring of lacing.

The smell was of dark coffee grounds and espresso at first followed by chocolate of the more bitter sweet kind. Smell finishes with roasted malts and subtle grassy or leafy hops.

The taste comes in opposite. First came a blend of chocolates (dark and heavy cream milk chocolate) then the roasted malts, strong coffee (the kind you want to wake up to) and a touch of bitter or slightly briny hops which hardly lingers, there just long enough that you are looking even more forward to that next hit of cocoa.

The mouthfeel is well balanced and extremely creamy. Carbonation is pretty mild but the beer isn't flat. With everything else your mouth is experiencing you don't really even notice it.

The beer is full bodied as any porter or dark belgian would be, coming out of the tap I could drink several easily.

Seeing as this beer is meant to be aged about 3 years I am definitely going to stash one away for later. I can see the potential for it getting even better.

10-28-2009 01:22:26 | More by ColdBeer30
dantecl

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Purchased a few bottles from Stone Brewing Co. several hours ago. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Nice dark black with small head that dissipated fast. This beer pours thick.

Smell: The alcohol is definitely there, with a malty roasted aroma following it right away.

Taste: Strong chocolaty flavor, with some hints of citrus. The aftertaste is a bit acid and hoppy (bitter), and the chocolate flavor lingers around for some time.

Mouthfeel: Nice and soft, with a medium grade of carbonation.

Drinkability: Although this beer has an excellent taste, the alcohol is somewhat noticeable and this beer will hit you fast.

Overall, I am saving at least one bottle until 2012, but it's nonetheless a marvelous beer to enjoy at any point.

09-10-2009 06:02:57 | More by dantecl
nickiversen

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Enjoyed a growler of this with my brother bought from The Charleston Beer Exchange (a must-visit) this past evening.

It pours dark brown with a smooth appearance and the head looks like a foamy edible dream come true.

The smell is nothing to shake a stick at for a porter, but it still has hints of roasted chocolate malts and a hint of alcohol. For a beer ranging in 8-9% ABV it is absolutely delicious and drinkable. For a porter, it warms the chest just the right amount leaving you crying with joy wanting more.

It goes down easy and a growler was no problem for my brother and I. Ranks in the top ten of best Porter's i've had and with its exclusive nature it is a must try if you can get your paws on it.

09-30-2009 01:20:10 | More by nickiversen
sarahloca44

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The S.O. tried a few years back to homebrew a Chocolate Mandarin Stout, and this is what it SHOULD have been.

Very dark brown in appearance with an impressive head. The tangerine is very subtle and the vanilla accentuates the chocolate malt more than it adds it's own flavor.

Drinkability: While this was delicious, like many special beers, splitting the 22oz. bottle with a friend was plenty for me. I, however, could drink one everyday.

12-18-2009 22:48:26 | More by sarahloca44
Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.