Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic AleStone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: superdedooperboy on 09-08-2009

This is quite a complex and layered beer. Bold and smooth chocolate malt flavors combine with a Belgian yeast lending tropical fruit/banana flavors and hints of spiciness, all complemented by citrus notes from an addition of tangerine peel. Rich vanilla beans add a nice counter to the chocolate malt - actually enhancing the chocolatiness. The finish is smooth, with additional traces of vanilla and toasted characters from French Oak. The goal for this edition of the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series is to be reminiscent of artisanal chocolates accentuated with orange.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +17%

Poured into a tulip glass at 50 degrees.

Appearance: A monster three finger head that is fairly persistent. The head is medium tan color that is foamy creamy, with a nice lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a dark brown, near black. The clarity of the beer is opaque.

Nose: A very rich dense malt that is roasted, with caramel, biscuits, and chocolate. Other aromas are coffee, bread, phenols, alcohol, peppery, raisins, and dried cherries. The hop aroma is still prevalent after three years; furthermore, the hops is perfumey, woody, and citrus.

Taste: The malt in the beer is roasted, toasted, caramel, biscuit, and bread. Other flavors is dark chocolate, espresso, phenols, alcohol, black pepper, raisins. The hops is fruity esters, perfume, wood, citrus.

The mouth feel in the beer is coating, warming, chewy, carbonated, and slightly astringent.

Overall: The body of the beer is full and the finish is lasting. This beer is awesome, it has great flavors. I am glad that I crack the bottle.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first and only Vertical Epic I will be drinking from Stone. And what an epic beer it is indeed. Aged for almost 3 years, couldn't be bothered with waiting to open it after the 12th of December..

As I pour this epic ale darkness overtakes my Duvel tulip glass. A deep dark black colour with a thick whitish-brown head that just doesn't care about fading away.

Smells of coffee, molasses, dark fruity hops, milky chocolate. Nothing really special here about the aroma. Average for a BSDA.

As I begin to taste the darkness, bitter coffee and hops overwhelm my palate. My god, this tastes more like a stout. than a belgian dark ale. But either way it is a tasty treat. I'm sure the aging helped here. Lots a dark burnt malty notes, fruity hops and thick molasses on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, thick and sassy. Very nice on the tongue, something to be savoured.

Overall a very good beer. Pretty opulent, I must say. If only I had the opportunity to try their other beers in this Epic series..

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Close enough to the end date for the epic vertical. Review is from notes taken on 8/9/2012 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a dark, chocolate brown with some nice ruby highlights; starts with a big, lush head that is a dark tan color; head has decent retention, eventually fades down to a thick, uneven cap; body is dark, nearly opaque; some fast, thin streams of carbonation bubble up near the sides of the glass;

Smell: Smell is solid -- some sweet and bittersweet chocolate; plenty of dark fruit -- reminiscent of sweet cherries, perhaps raisins; dark, bready and chewy maltiness to it; touch of Candi, but really well blended; sometimes I find that the Candi is overpowering and makes the beer taste a little like cough syrup, but if the taste is anything like the smell, it should avoid that perfectly.

Taste: OK, so far this is the best of the series that I've come across -- tastes a lot more like an RIS brewed with some of the Belgian ingredients (a la Dark Truth?); plenty of dark chocolate with a strong bitterness to it; a roasty, earthy and even a little nutty espresso beans; slight Belgian spiciness with the dark fruit; touch of alcoholic burn, a little more than I would have expected considering it's not quite 9% and has been sitting for three years, but it's a good flavor and adds to the overall array.

Mouthfeel: Body is pretty thick, soft and smooth; carbonation is strong and adds a touch of prickle, but overall, it's easy on the palate and avoids sharpness; a rough and gritty coating is left on the teeth; gums are left a little tingly.

Overall: I had this on tap when it was first released and thought it was great then -- even a bit more like a Belgian, I feel that some of the "stoutier" aspects have come through, even though I don't think that was intentional; an excellent beer that has held up well and I'm sure it would have held up a little longer, but hell, it's not doing anyone any good sitting on my shelf. It is a bit of a sipper, but it's not big enough to deter me from sitting through the whole bomber. Cheers to Stone, they should bring this one back under a different name.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottle date is obvious. Pours pitch black color with a nice 2 finger dense tan head with awesome retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Some nice spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big raisin, prune, molasses, apple, biscuit, caramel, chocolate, roasted malt, light char, earth, and herbal. Very nice aromas with good strength, complexity, and balance; very inviting. Taste of big chocolate, biscuit, caramel, molasses, prune, apple, roasted malt, raisin, light char, vanilla, earth, oak, and herbal. Lingering notes of dark fruit, chocolate, caramel, biscuit, light char, earth, and roasted malt on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic flavor complexity and balance; with a very nice roasted malt flavor profile. Medium carbonation and body; with a very nice creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is completely hidden, with hardly any warming at all noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent Belgian dark ale. Great amount of complexity and robust roasted flavors; with great balance and very smooth drinking. Extremely enjoyable stuff!

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A black bodied beer with a smallish tan head. Not much retention, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasty, with bittersweet chocolate, orange peel, slightly vinous and fruity. There’s also a spicy note and a hint of wood or tobacco that’s kind of hard to put a finger on.

Interesting but not entirely satisfying taste; perhaps a little oxidized after 3 years in the bottle; not sure how this one will hold up till the end of the entire Vertical Epic series.
There’s dark, bitter chocolate, orange and peel flavor, as well as other more vague fruit notes; again a vinous quality, with oakiness, char, a hint of a metallic/mineral aspect; phenolic spiciness, overall very dry; could actually use a bit more sweetness. Maybe a touch chalky. Alcohol well-masked. Not terrible, just a little odd.

Medium-bodied and carbonated with that very dry finish. Feels like it could be a bit heavier and smoother in the mouth. Interesting beer I didn’t particularly love but it definitely made me think and dig in, examining its many layers.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/4/12
*From notes

A: Rich crayon brown. A good pour yields a two finger bubbly head. It fades in time, a leaves a decent collar behind.

S: Candied Belgian sugars and cocoa. Some vanilla becomes more evident as it warms.

T: Sweet, with a grassy quality to it. More vanilla hits the mid and rides to the finish. Not half bad - this seems to have aged reasonably well.

M: Feel could use a little work. It's just not as thick and viscous as a Belgian Strong (that comes across kinda stout-like) should be.

O: One of the better VE's in the series. It's holding up well, it's tasty and something I won't have a problem putting back again in what...eight months?

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

22 oz bottle, allowed to warm some before being poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Stone's 2009 entry into their Vertical Epic series pours jet black. Three fingers of almost mousse like cocoa colored foam tops the beer. The head shows some decent (but not amazing) staying power, and covers most of the glass with chunks of lacing. I wanted to give the beer a 4.5 for looks, but the head retention just wasn't there to warrant it. The nose is wonderful, creamy chocolate with a sweet vanilla backbone, and just a hint of citrus playing off of it. It nails what Stone says they were going for with this one, and the aroma's fairly powerful to boot. The flavor profile is based around that same orange peel tinted chocolate that dominates the nose, but there's also a touch of phenols here. Specifically, there's a not too welcome touch of spicy clove that just seems out of place with the rest of the beer. The body is not quite as bone dry as some Belgian ales, but it's defintely leaning in that direction. The carbonation has a lot of the pep that one would expect for the style, but manages to stay out of the way of some of the malty flavors. As basically what I guess I'd call a Belgian Porter Stone's 2009 Vertical Epic is a pretty good beer, though I think I'd have liked it better if the same recipe was fermented out with a more neutral ale yeast strain.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a very dark brown with a short, dark, tan head that falls gently to a partial cover while leaving spots of lacing.

The smell is ripe with figs and other dark fruits, a nicely aromatic beer.

The taste has similar qualities to the smell and is very smooth without a hint of the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a very tasty beer, one of the better Vertical Epics that I've had. Age has really mellowed this beer from what I recall when it was fresh.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure when I bought this, not sure how it was stored prior to that ...

A - jet black, tan lacing that persists well given the age

S - chocolate, fruit/citrus, slight spice - one of those chocolate oranges

T - burnt coffee/chocolate, some smoke, given the smell the taste is surprisingly sour/bitter, alcohol completely hidden

M - lush and smooth

O - another strange mix of flavors that meld into an interesting drink - once again, the whole is greater than the parts

This certainly does not fit into my definition of a BSDA. More of a stout/porter/black lager mash. After reading the description on the Stone site I see the smell and sour taste comes from the tangerine peel.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

It has been a while since my last review so I figured I’d pick up where I left off...with an offering from the folks at Stone Brewery!

To get off on the right foot, let’s raise another glass to Stone Brewery and the magic they make over there in California!
This time I’m drinking a pint (6 fl oz) bottle of their Vertical Epic 09.09.09…a beer that is (for what should be extremely obvious reasons) getting harder and harder to get a hold of. I’m in for a treat—I know!

From the pour one thing and one thing alone strikes me—it's obvious but always something that tickles me pink!--the dark, dark color!

This is a big dark beer and what follows—as suited for these types of beers!—is that big bold, beautifully bitter aroma. From the pour we are also given quite a good head, I’d say it should average 1.5-2.0 inches if given a good pour. The head then lingers for a while--giving you that golden window of opportunity to sniff-sniff-sniff away! And boy does 09.09.09 give you a bouquet to sniff at. Though darker beers typically have less to offer in the realm of aroma and a lighter colored beer of this richness would likely provide more for the nose, this brew still does not disappoint. We’ve obviously got a lot of burnt maltiness and some vanilla/coffee notes but we’ve also got a great balance of alcohol reminding you you’re not sniffing at the wort—but actually the end result of the brewing process!—and it’s toting an ABV of 8.6%.

The first sip, well, there it all is. From a full mouth of the stuff you’re going to get a lot of the alcohol, that’s just how it works; but from a smaller swig you can really taste the complexity of this beer as well as appreciate the almost creamy mouthfeel. Letting this brew sit on your palate for a second before gulping it down is a great experience. Doing so renders the balance of the flavors of this beer to the drinker—and it is quite nice. Chocolate malt, and woody flavors, are obviously present and as stated on the bottle there’s an element of vanilla which makes for a really nice aftertaste which is both bitter and sweet. Overall this beer is a great beer to sit and relax with and is a perfect addition to the legacy of quality Stone Brewery is building.

A: Dark! Good head with minimal lace.

S: Chocolate malt, burnt, bitter with a discrete sweetness.

T: Just what you expect. Bitter, chocolaty, nutty, oakey, with a slight vanilla sweetness which brings everything together for a pleasant aftertaste. Meanwhile the alcohol is there tasting as it does and doing its job. Very nice balance in this brew.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. Letting it sit on the palate this beer has a thicker heavier consistency and a the higher alcohol feel fitting of an 8.6 ABV.

O: 09.09.09 is a great dark beer. While my personal preference is something more like an oatmeal stout or a sweeter porter, this I still appreciated! I can recommend it for anyone who’s looking for a good dark beer that ends up being everything it says it is on the bottle. A good number of people are saying it might need to mature a bit longer and I might not be the best person to ask on this matter because my experience with cellaring is limited but I didn’t find the flavor to be lacking—and I didn’t think the balance was really off in any way, so I think two years has been a good amount of time for this brew to mature. At any rate get it while you can there are a limited number of these!

I tip my hat once more to the folks over at Stone Brewing!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Our local beer store just installed a bar in their shop and they have quite an impressive selection on tap. I was very happy to find the 09-09-09 Vertical Epic as one of the options. I had this in a beer flight with the 10-10-10 and 11-11-11. Nice dark color with a beautiful dark creamy head. Smell had hints of sweetness, chocolate and coffee. The taste was amazing as well. Roasted malts with a tinge of banana and toffee made this beers flavor very complex and enjoyable. I hope they have another one of these kegs for when the 12-12-12 is out.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Serving Type: a 22 ounce bottle was purchased in Winter of 2010 from J.B. Russo & Sons in Grand Rapids, Michigan for $6.99 (the label was still on the bottle). I remember the beer-guy there recommending that this beer be purchased and held for aging and maturing. Since Shangy's in Emmaus, Pennsylvania had a case of Vertical 09.09.09 available, which I greedily bought for $73, I had to drink the 22 ounce bottle I purchased from J.B. Russo & Sons right away.

Appearance: Hard pour into tall pilsner glass resulted in two-finger head. Foam cohered for over a minute and with an even film on the glass. Beer was dark tan with just a little light passing through the beer's darkness.

Smell: Mmmm...delicious sweet smelling aromas. A little nut and wood aromas as well.

Taste: The nut and wood smells were quite noticeable right away. The ale went down smooth and had an excellent aftertaste, but this ale feels like it needs another year for the flavors to mature.

Mouthfeel: Very compatible with my palette. Like I mentioned above, the aftertaste was excellent...especially as it got warmer. NOTE: this beer was poured straight from the fridge, so it tasted better as it warmed.

Overall: I wanted to give the overall a 4.5, but I feel the flavors may need another year to mature, so I settled for a 4.0. I'll update this review in about a year since I have a case of 09.09.09's to store and age.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours an opaque inky black with a slight tan brownish head that laces ok.
Roasty chocolatey,sour (wood),vanilla, coffee goodness. The oaking I think adds a touch of the sour mash flavor I really love. Slight belgian yeast aroma but very subtle, a dash of boozey goodness but real smooth.

Very smooth woody vanilla chocolate roast. A nice sour mash like flavor that gives it's self over to a subtle citrus like dark chocolate mix, think 1 of those chocolate oranges from a few yrs back, Nice.

Well the only thing even remotley laging in my opinion was the mouthfeel. Seemed as it should have had more, creamy fuller body. Nice non the less.

2 & 1/2 yrs did not harm in my opinion, having not had fresh though, who's to say. I enjoyed yet another FINE brew from STONE.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared a bottle with Alucard4

Look: Black with brown rings around the edges 1/2 inch head and good retention

Smell: Belgian yeast with some vanilla and notes of chocolate

Taste: Upfront is a earthy kind of dirty Belgian yeast note and the backend has quite a bit of coffee and traces of chocolate

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation and a bit chalky

Overall: When this beer first came out I loved it so much that I bought a whole case and now that a couple years has gone by this beer has taken a turn for the worse and I feel next year when people do the huge vertical they will be even more let down

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

from notes (12-7-13):

22oz bottle to "Beer Shop" snifter...

A: semi vigorous pour yields a thin head that reduces quickly. dark and I can see it's thin as it fills the glass.

S: Belgian yeast, roasted malts and a bit of chocolate.

T: wonderful Belgian stout. no traces of the citrus.

M: thin, not much for carbonation...

D: a Great journey this has taken... Drank like a porter upon release. The citrus pooped after a year of laying up. Hung onto it's porter-like qualities thru '10 & '11. Drank like a wonderful Belgian stout in 2013...and much better than I remember it did in Dec. 2012. This was meant to age, so I am not rating based on it's categorized style. This beer went through some notable changes over 4 years and 12 bottles.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Nice brown soapy head. Looks like ginger bread. Brew is jet black. Thin viscosity.

S - Nutty. Bananas. Chocolate. Slightly homebrew-y... Some vanilla, not much.

T - Very nutty. Rich milk chocolate. I could see slight orange too, nothing overwhelming. Not over spiced. Not too much hop, most by now have faded. Lots of vanilla.

M - Smooth and rich. Big complexity. Perfect carbonation, no heat, and amazing bitterness.

O - A well brewed beer by Stone. Nice Job. Very much enjoyed this brew. Good thing I have a few more ;) Very Unique.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

22oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks alex

Pours a deep browned out, almost black color. Tanned head rests on top, leaving some patchy lacing and retaining with some film layers.

Nice roasty malt character in the nose with some nuttiness and dark chocolate. Bready with caramel and slight boozy warmth. Very faint belgian yeast presence.

Decent roasted character up front with nuts and dark chocolate. Light belgian yeast with a hint of spice. Thicker malt backbone with bread crust, caramel, and mocha. Finishes a little warm and sweet.

Fuller medium body, decent carbonation, a little chewy and sticky on the tongue. This was my favorite of the past 3 Vertical Epics, and it appears to be doing nicely right now.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Pours pitch black with a three finger cream-colored head. Dissipates to a nice cap and lacing.

S - Heavy browned caramel and coffee aromas. Light chocolate with a mild piney hops in the background.

T - Starts as a sweet caramel and milk chocolate, turning into a browned caramel and coffee. An orange flavor briefly shows up in the transition. Nice hop bitterness lingers in the end. All the flavors are rather bold.

M - Medium body with light/medium carbonation. Goes very well with the flavors.

O - Still drinking very well more than two years after bottling. A well rounded medley of flavors and aromas, great for just sitting down and savoring. Most definitely going to try their homebrew recipe on their website. Another great beer from Stone.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

From notes. Very active, with 2 full inches of inconsistently composed mocha foam filling the tulip. Fluffy and dense in places, big bubbles in others, it fades quite slowly and leaves thick lacing. The supporting liquid is dark brown and without highlights.

Smells of dark fruit, booze, floral hops, and malty sweetness. Pleasant and fairly complex, but not intense.

Light roast, chocolaty malty sweetness, dark fruit, a bit boozy, with moderate bitterness throughout. Bitterness also increases during the finish.

Good carbonation, smooth, almost rich, medium full body. Despite the fullness, it has a generally dry character and finishes bitter.

Really tasty and smooth, with good complexity and balance. Just a little too bitter, to me, for the style. A really good brew that I'm thankful for having had the chance to try it.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. Bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Very dark brown almost black with a nice small 1/2” head that recedes to a 1/16” cap. Nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt with chocolate, those two aromas dominate the nose.

Taste: Follows the aroma with a chocolaty rich roasted malt flavor. Also getting a mild licorice flavor. Very well balanced and delicious, the flavors work very well together.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with good body and carbonation.

Overall: Very good beer, somewhere between a stout and a porter. Glad to have a few bottles tucked away.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Nice dark brew here with a nice thick tan colored head on top. The smell of the beer has some coffee notes and chcoclate along with a healty dose of hops and Belgian yeast. The taste of the brew is a little citrusy with the roasted malts following up in the dry aftertaste. The mouthfeel of the brew is quite nice, rich and semi-thick feeling. Overall this was a really nice brew and I'm glad to have had it.

2.76/5  rDev -32%

Poured into A Duvel tulip at 50 degrees.

A. Pours a dark brown and turns black once in the glass. Only a half finger tan head shows up.Some lacing on the glass.

S. Smells of dark cherries and caramel with a hint of earth oxidation maybe.Some brown sugar.

T. Definately some oxidation in this bottle.A little cherry taste and maybe some faint dark fruits, a good grainy background. A little bit of a metalic taste going on in the end also.

M. Kind of a light medium mouth,with pretty good carbonation.With a lingering aftertaste.Dry finish.

Overall I was hoping this would be better. Of the vertical epics I have had this was the most dissapointing.I'm not so sure how this beer will hold up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from backlog city

A - It pours black as night and is capped with a pillowy tan head; it looks like a Belgian Stout.

S - The aroma is slightly sweet in a milky sense, and it is also quite roasty, offering notes of coffee and bitter cocoa. Dark fruitiness, specifically prune and date, is the mainstay once it begins to air out.

T - The flavor follows the nose but expands the profile to include a sort of Imperial Stout big-deliciousness. Bold notes of unsweetened cocoa, toffee-caramel, carob covered raisin, and estery dark fruitiness are vibrant, and are joined by milder spice undertones.

M - The feel is excellent; very creamy and softly carbonated.

D - I am quite impressed with this beer, it is the best VE I've had so far.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Reviewed from notes, shared with Klym and Sunday Sour. Poured into a Stone Nonic glass.

A: Coffee black with creamy coffee bubbles. Two finger bean stock head raised up like baked brownies. Lacing featuring horizontal sticking lines. All in all it looks scrumdidliumptious..

S: High quality vanilla bean that paints a delicious picture. Light notes of figs, dark raisins, and perhaps some sweet sugared prunes. A middle of deep molasses medjool dates enters with warmer temperatures. A wonderful end suggestion of Bananas foster as I focus.

T: Coffee black with some shots of espresso. A really deep nutmeg/cardamom spiced woodiness. There is a super subtle roast flavor that sweetens with roasted marshmallows. Remnants of lingering cigar smoke burn through the warming beer. Amazing drinkability.

M: The mouth is phenomenal. This beer is just right as it is now. I think there could be a loss of some carbonation without a hit to the quality of the drink. So solid it hurts.

O: I will look forward to this vertical again on 12/12/12. One of the better stone verticals to be had to date. Just a wonderful beer that encompasses a whole buffet of delicious chocolatey baked goods. Bravo stone, a fine year indeed.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Second in my morning session with Cavery and SundaySour. Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Dark dark dark with a very handsome two-finger tan foam head; this one seems special. Lacing is weak, though.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, oak, wood, molasses, some spice and a small bit of dark fruits. Not so aromatic but I love to dig my nose into it.

T: Yeah, I'm picking up another bottle of this. Roast, vanilla, sharp cheeses, chocolate, molasses, wood, pepper, banana, citrus, and a little salt bite. As complex in the flavor as it was on the nose. Loving it. Alcohol undetectable, extreme drinkability.

M: No complaints on the mouthfeel. Seems strange to drink something with this flavor profile that is relatively thin and generous in carbonation; I found it an interesting twist and plus, not a negative.

O: This is a complex beer and I learned something new about it every look, sniff, and sip. Hard to imagine regretting trying a bottle of this and keeping one in the cellar. Have you any love for the dark side, get your hands on this.

Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.