2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 315 | Reviews: 234 | Show All Ratings:
Avagadro

A: black as night with a mocha colored head.

S: the bouquet is hardy with heavy notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee.

T: sweet malt in the forefront followed by a mixture of macadamia and chocolate. Finishes with a gentle coffee presence that lingers between sips.

M: full bodied with a slight gritty texture and slight carbonation.

D: I was surprised not only by the fact that the macadamia pulled through, but that it hit the palette at the same time as the chocolate did, giving the impression that you were eating a cookie. This brew is outstanding and is worth seeking out.

11-18-2009 00:08:14 | More by Avagadro
AndyAvalanche

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Beer pours out fairly close to black in color. When the liquid gets thinner it's sort of a cola color. A hard pour gives a thick foamy head that goes away fairly quickly. Not much in the lacing department, probably because it's been aged a bit, but this guy's been cellared properly! There is a ring of the head that stays the whole time.

Smell is amazing. A "wine swirl" sends a sweet then bitter combination of aromas. Sweet, very malty, sweet decadent and bitter chocolate (ore than I expected) then some coffee. Coconut is present, but more like coated in chocolate. I'm not talking Mounds bar here, I'm talking high class chocolatier chocolate. Not much in the way of hops here, but it doesn't need it.

Taste is effing amazing! Again, it's like a coconut chocolate while drinking a cup of black coffee, soooo good. A bit of toasiness and roastiness in the malt department. Slight bitterness in the finish, but more from the malts than hops I would say, not much of a hop flavor again.

Mouthfeel is superb. Silky smooth with an excellent carbonation feel. Such a delightful and sweet start with a crisp slightly bitter finish. The hops are detectable in the mouthfeel, just for a bitterness aspect. Sort of earthy, maybe even tropical because there's a slight coconut milky feel. Unbelievably drinkable, I wish this was a bomber, heck a 3 liter!

I've been awaiting this one for a looong time, I missed it when it first came out. If I had known how good it would be I would have done whatever I could to find it and stock up big time. Best collaboration beer from Stone so far.

Huge props to huadog for the trade, you're the man Russ!

10-25-2011 02:38:01 | More by AndyAvalanche
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

I was thrilled to be able to track this one down. Needless to say I needed to get a hold of one as it was made to be had by me for sure. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this gem was enjoyed on 10/22/2009.

The pour was fabulous. Rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that just leapt over the top of the glass. Seriously impressed here I have to say right from the start. Thick lacing just dripping down the sides of the glass with each moment getting further and further down the rabbit hole so to speak. Enormous aroma of rich roasted coffee, hints of nuts and vanilla just dripping off of it as well, so ridiculously sweet and delicious, I was in heaven here to say the least. Warming brought out more vanilla and hints of wonderful touches of brown sugar and thick coffee notes. The I took a sip, suck a luscious full bodied feel, it was amazing at just how nice this one came together. Rich notes of sweet brewed coffee and mingled in seamlessly with touches of wonderful nuts and vanilla. Hints of like woody notes as well as brown sugar just rippled all over this one. So sweet it was just a pleasure to be able to try it. No hint of the ABV at all, in fact, it was beyond well hidden,

Overall this was one of the best coffee beers I have ever run across. Just solid from top to bottom and not a thing I could say to complain about it at all. No wonder people have been raving about this one, it really is just that good. Got to go out and find another few.

10-23-2009 21:22:16 | More by mikesgroove
DeanMoriarty

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Had this out of a snifter at Holiday Wine Cellar's special event for San Diego Beer Week 2010: "Stone Vintage Archives & Decadent Chocolate Pairings" hosted by Dr. Bill Sysack of Stone Brewing. Paired with North Park's Eclipse Chocolat - Vanilla Bean Sassafras truffle. Refereed to by Dr. Bill as "Aloha Plenty".

Notes from Ken Schmidt (who was present for the entire tasting) - 300 lbs of Kona Coffee, 300 lbs of Macadamia Nut and 100 lbs of toasted coconut

A: Pours an extremely dark hue with a solid head revealing some brown hues around the edge of the glass, leaving amazing lacing from start to finish.

S: Herbal/medicinal flavors with roasted coffee up front in a big way,nutty coconut and sweet roasted malt that is very unique and pleasant. The coconut comes through with perfect execution.

T: Very similar to the nose, but even more roasted malt, big buttery flavor from the macadamia, finishing with a sweet cafe mocha flavor that rounds out the overall flavor perfectly. I am not a fan of porters but man this is something else!

M: Medium bodied, buttery and creamy, with a good carbonation that lends to the overall mouthfeel perfectly.

D: All night long - no problem!

11-27-2010 04:54:05 | More by DeanMoriarty
cbanker

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Got the last bottle at the bar at Stone yesterday evening and split it with a friend. For what it's worth it was the Maui version of the bottle (there are 3 different bottle prints). I let the bartender pour it into 8 oz. glasses for us.

I had this on tap at the Stone 13th anniversary festival and was blown away. I had been anxiously waiting to try the bottled release. The bottles certainly don't disappoint and it tastes just like I remember it on tap.

Deep brown, nice looking head. The smell is outstanding, like great fresh-brewed coffee with hints of nuttiness and chocolate. I found myself whiffing this beer whenever I wasn't sipping it, truly outstanding smell.

The initial taste is certainly coffee, and one of the best coffee tastes I've had in a beer. I gradually notice more coconut flavor after the initial coffee with a slight hint of roasted macadmia. Also prominent are flavors of chocolate and roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and certainly matches the flavor well.

This is a very drinkable beer, I could slowly savor quite a bit of this if it were readily available. You can tell it's somewhat strong, but it certainly doesn't taste like it's 8.5%.

This is by far my favorite porter I've had. I really like the Maui porter, but they've outdone themselves with this collaboration. This higher ABV and stronger coffee flavor set this beer apart from the standard Maui. Ken created an outstanding beer, and Stone pulled together a perfect collaboration.

It's a shame that this is such a limited release, because it is truly outstanding. I would certainly pay a premium price for this beer if stone made it a regular (or at least seasonal) release. IMHO, Stone should get Ken Schmidt on staff and let him work some more magic.

Get out and try this beer while you still can, you will not be disappointed.

09-24-2009 17:09:29 | More by cbanker
cvfish

Louisiana

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that produced a nice fluffy dark tan color that had great retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were dark malts, bitter chocolate, coffee beans, coconut, and nuts

T - The taste of this beer had dark, toasted malts, bitter chocolate, smooth, freshly ground coffee beans, sweet coconut, and a light taste of nuts that I would guess is the Macadamia, which I do not have much experience with

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium to heavy body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is probably one of the most expertly crafted beers that I have ever tasted, everything blends perfectly, everyone should really have a chance to try this great beer

11-03-2009 02:36:32 | More by cvfish
HopHeadLouie

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

There are not many things that I would wait in line 30 minutes for, but the idea of a Kona coffee, macadamia, coconut porter was just too good to pass up. The brew did not disappoint and the 4 ounce taste at the StoneFest was just enough to wet my appetite and put me on edge waiting for the eventual bottle release. After a month of waiting, speculating and spreading the word, I finally got my bottles last night and was not disappointed!

Smells terrific, I get lots of macadamia on the nose with hints of reminiscent familiarity, Maui coconut porter, it's definitely in there. On the buds, it's Kona coffee up front for sure. As the beer warmed it evolved into a more complex meld of Hawaiian goodness. The macadamia and coconut work more as accents and are perfect compliments to the rich Kona coffee flavor. Full bodied and viscous with perfect carbonation and a small pleasantly stiff hop under bite, perfect in just about every way, you can taste the craftsmanship and artistry that went into this beer.

This is not only the best of the Stone Collaborations, but it is the first of the series that actually validates the mission of bringing brewers together to passionately redefine what beer can be.

09-25-2009 19:21:27 | More by HopHeadLouie
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

This gem is courtesy of Bitterbill, cheers! Very thrilled to get this one!!!

Pours chestnut tinged mahogany with 3 fingers of mocha head. Good lacing & above average head retention

S: Dark chcolate & tons of coffee, plus some creme de cacao as well

T: Coffee, charred grain, baker's chocolate, a touch of booze, coconut & cream up front. Coconut & charred grains as this warms along with a nice coffee flavor, some cocoa & vanilla hiding in the background. Finishes dry with some nice coconut sweetness, coffee & vanilla

MF: Chewy, fairly smooth, but a touch of grainyness as this warms

Drinks pretty damn easy, there is a touch of booze roughness & grainy mouthfeel holding this back just a little, otherwise perfection! Not sure this is worth the price on this sticker though, ouch!!! Stellar none the less!

06-06-2010 04:14:34 | More by russpowell
Pfeifer

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Bottle purchased at K&L Wines in Redwood City, CA. Served in 12 oz wine glass at 57 degrees.

My first review, but I figured this beer was a great place to start.

Tied with FWXII for my favorite beer of 2009. Spoke with the STone guys at the SF Holiday Beer fest. I didn't realize Ken Schmidt was "just" a home brewer - great work sir! Also, they said only 30 cases were made, so thanks to the guys from K&L for giving me the second to last bottle!

A - No lacing, pours dark brown almost black, slight foam dissipates quickly
S - Caramel, coffee, little bit of nuttiness and chocolate and a hint of bourbon. Coconut appears and stronger coffee aroma as it warms up.
T - So good. Starts with chocolate sweetness and some coconut and expands with heavy roasted malts, nuts and coffee taking over. Flavors blend together perfectly. Sweetness from the coconut at the end. Lingering aftertaste I don't want to go away
M - Smooth, almost oily but not heavy, the mild carbonation complements nicely
D - Little bit of lingering alcohol complements the coconut aftertaste. I could knock back a few. Already bummed about not having a second one

Reminiscent of the Maui Porter but not nearly as complex. Less nuttiness or heavy roasted malts, but until I can track down another bottle, the Porter will have to do

10-14-2009 07:44:50 | More by Pfeifer
femALEist

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Whenever I see a beer from Maui Brewing Company, I always get excited. When I first went to Maui 2 years ago, I was highly impressed with the beers that they were creating at Maui Brewing Company- Coconut Porter, Black IPA's, Stouts aged in Rum barrels and my friend's favorite, Red Cock Doppelbock- my kind of 'Hawaiian' beer. AND I have not been able to find any of their special releases outside the brew pub besides their Bikini Blond Ale (my least favorite but still a good beer), Big Swell IPA (actually this IPA is one of my favorite IPA's) and Coconut Porter (delish). These are so worth trying- they sell them at Whole Foods and it comes in a can; which by the way, is ecofriendly , it keeps your beer fresher longer and it gets colder faster.

SO I was very very excited to try a collaboration beer with Maui Brewery, Stone Brewery (another great brewery) and the home brewer Ken Schmidt. I enjoyed a bottle of it at Monk's Kettle...for $16..expensive but it is a 8.5% beer and you can no longer buy it at a store. It is a porter brewed with Kona Coffee, Macademia nuts and toasted coconut...It was definately full of flavor- it was nutty, smokey with a coffee finish- definately meant to be sipped and loved!

Oh how I love you Maui Brewing Company...I hope you end up distributing more beers out to California soon or just twist my arm and make me go to Maui to get some aloha.

11-11-2009 01:29:22 | More by femALEist
GRG1313

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours dark black with a light brown head. Actually looks like a "frothy" coffee.

Nose is simple brewed coffee when chilled. As it warms up you get more brewed coffe with some macademia nut and light coconut. A real coffee nose.

Mouthfeel is as good as it gets! It is big, and hugely rich. The mouthfeel is like coffee with real cream; like a thick, rich "hot chocolate" feel. Buttery and creamy in character and feel; rich! And, believe it or not, there some hops to it and they are super well integrated. This may be the single best mouthfeel I've ever tried.

The flavors are off the chart. Rich, creamy chocoate coffee with a nut and coconut undertone and character. The coffee character and flavor and general quality could not be better. You don't come near feeling the alcohol (8.5%!) The flavors really come out and rock as this one warms up. Cool this is a really nice coffee brew; room termperature this will knock your socks off with flavor and complexity.

This is a beer that is one of the most drinkable porters (or stouts) that I've tasted. I hate to join the hype (or add to it) but this one is off the charts. Putting aside the coconut and macademia nut for the moment, this is what a coffee stout (porter?) is supposed to taste like...period!

This one may be in my top 10 already. And, please...you really want to taste it with a head. It's like drinking the foam that adds to the character of a cappuccino.

I bought some bottles to trade; I may just keep all the bottles I acquired since this is one that will likely stay good for quite a while and perhaps even get a bit more complex with some age. There is a sweetness that some may dislike; me? I really like it. The "sweet" is not so much sugar as it's "flavor."

This is one collaboration that should stick together for many beers to come! Well done!

09-23-2009 23:59:58 | More by GRG1313
m1ked

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked a bottle at Bowery WF.

A- Pours a pitch black that reveals a mahogany garnet sliver at the top when held up to the light. A generous sandy head that quickly fades to a mere wisp. No lacing noted, a couple of bubbles popping at the top, but I can't see any streamers in that darkness.

S- Rich vanilla beans, bitter chocolate and milk chocolate, coffee, woody and nutty notes. I am not sure but I think that the vanilla notes may actually be the coconut- either way it smells great.

T- Similar to the nose I get the rich vanilla, milk chocolate, bourbon, coffee, nuttiness. At the end I get the coconut that lingers. I really enjoy all these flavors that seem to work so well together.

M- This is probably my favorite part- so rich & creamy without being heavy. Light carb that works well. A slight lingering coating on the tongue that I enjoy, and a bit of an alcohol burn.

D- I wish I could find/afford a 12er of this stuff. I woulnd't put down more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but would love to have some of this on hand to drink whenever. I think this is good to drink now. As always though, I wonder what it would do with some time- I feel that it might lose some of the rich flavors that meld together so well.

10-12-2009 00:17:35 | More by m1ked
neenerzig

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. Pours a nice dark brown color with deep ruby amber, blood red highlights when held to the light. The tan colored head is a nice inch thick when poured, eventually settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass and a decent surface coating. Decent lacing. Aromas of roasted malt and coffee along with a nice brown nuttiness and chocolate. The flavor is perfect in my opinion, nice roasted malty sweetness with a hint of caramel and even more chocolate, flowed by a tasty bitter coffee presence and the nuttiness is certainly there on the back end. Slightly crisp, but mainly smooth and frothy, full bodied mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. Almost too easy to drink considering what the ABV of this beer is. Good thing I have one of these aging in my basement, I am interested to see what some time will do to this already fantastic beer. You must try this if you get the chance! Wow!

Eric

12-16-2009 03:56:46 | More by neenerzig
steve8robin

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

This one is quickly becoming a fave of mine.

A: Very dark color with mocha colored head

S: This smells fantastic! You can definitely smell the coffee aroma emiting out of the glass. No strong scent of coconut.

T: Very tasty. You are instintantly hit with the coffee flavor, though not overbearing. I've tried some coffee porters that tasted like chewing on a coffee bean, not for me. This one however, has the perfect amount of coffee flavor. Very faint on the coconut flavor. Didn't really notice the coconut on the first try. The macadamia nut flavoring makes this taste so smooth.

M: You gotta try it, that's all I can say.

D: This one is very easy to drink. Drink it slowly and let it warm up a little in your cup. Makes for a mighty tasty beer. Goes down smooth.

All in all this is in my top favorites. Was supposed to be in short supply, but it keeps popping up in stores around MA. Glad, because I need more!

11-18-2009 16:52:02 | More by steve8robin
WesWes

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

The beer pours a deep, black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a warm, roasted malt and coffee scent along with delicate hints of chocolate and nuts. The coffee character is top notch with loads of dry, earthy character. The taste is perfect! It has a damn awesome coffee, roastedness. It's incredibly smooth and full bodied with just a hint of macadamia in the finish. It's a dark one for sure with adequate warmth and a ton of black malt/coffee flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is one of the top porters I've ever had. It's incredibly complex with a shit ton of flavor; simply awesome.

12-13-2009 01:30:16 | More by WesWes
generallee

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter. There appears to be no freshness date on the label.

Appearance: The color of the body is a very dark brown to nearly black which blocks out almost all light. On top sits a small tan head about one finger tall. It slowly fades down to just a ring of foam with a thing film in the middle. This head is slick and leaves no lace on glass as it just slides right down.

Smell: In the nose I get notes of sweet roasted malt, hints of dark coffee, sugar cookies and delicate nutty notes.

Taste/Palate: The flavor has a mild nutty character with plenty dark roasted malt and coffee notes. Hop notes are mild and add some light leafy/earthy hops notes and bitterness towards the finish. Overall it remains on the sweeter side throughout and into the finish. Its 8.5% alcohol is mellow and refined, adding only a very genital warmth. On the palate it has a velvety smooth and slick feel with mellow carbonation.

Notes: This is an excellent blend of flavors all in perfect balance and harmony.

04-24-2010 12:47:56 | More by generallee
vacax

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

yo beeradvocate, imma let you finish, but Ken Schmidt got one of the best porters of all time!

$6.50 for 12 oz. bottle

Nearly black dark brown with a nice brown head. Head looks decent, then dwindles away until next to nothing at all is left. The nose is luscious with kona coffee, cane sugar sweetness, a tinge of toasted coconut and some rum-like alcohol. Rich malt and somewhat yeasty or nutty. As it opens up coconut pops up and the coffee settles down.

The first taste for me is loaded with kona coffee, then the finish was exceptionally long with a melange of burnt sugar, rum, and dark roast. The more I drink the more I begin to unleash the coconut element, which not only has the toasted coconut taste but also a fresh coconut flavor that is much more developed than other coconut beers I have encountered. A rich biscuit malt and nutty yeast quality also shines through, giving a rich full character. Full bodied, a bit slippery, and a rounded medium carbonation just enhance.

My previous experience with a coconut beer from Maui had left me nonplussed, and with such an exorbitant price point, I thought this beer was going to be smoke and mirrors. I would guess the macadamia nut element hurt the head in this brew, but the flavors, aromas, and feel of this beer deliver. Extremely well done.

09-24-2009 00:04:18 | More by vacax
GordonQuid

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a dimpled English pub mug.

Dark chocolate in color with a nice one inch thick tan head. Ample lace with tight creamy bubble formation.

Smells of toasted nuts; aroasted almond quality. Coffee is huge in my nose along with some sweet maltiness.

Taste is dynamic and complex blend of rasted coffee, nuts, fig and coconut almond cluster cookie. Very satisfying shape shifting as it warms; even more blended flavors.

Very dangerously drinkable but look out this stuf will kick your ass.

Cheers!

11-19-2009 18:14:05 | More by GordonQuid
MiScusi

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Dark brown to black as seen on pour into the glass, on closer inspection it is a brown clear liquid. Nice thick creamy head builds up but actually dissipates quite fast.

S- NOT what I expected at all. First off there is quite a bit of coffee, but not the same kind of crazy fresh cold coffee you get from Victory at Sea. This to me actually leaned more towards the roasted grain type coffee aroma, but my friend got more of a straight up coffee out of it than I did. Along with that it smelled almost IDENTICAL to many imperial stouts. I don't want to say this had a soyness to it, but it was something *along* those lines, like way in the background but maybe I'm just sensitive to that (and I'm not the biggest Imperial Stout fan in the world either).

T- Completely different from the smell to me. Roasted grain is one of the prevalent flavors here, kept in check enough to qualify as a porter. Right smack in the middle is a sweetness along with something that I don't know is actually a flavor more than a mouthfeel component, but the middle is absolutely delightful. It's a mild sweetness, maybe a nuttiness, or roundness to the flavor profile. To me the taste is all about this middle palate presence, which makes it unique from every other porter, stout or other dark beer I've had.

M- This is a deceptively thick brew. You wouldn't think so at first, although it does look thick upon pouring but that slickness and fullness in the mouthfeel comes across even more so when it's on your tongue.

D- this beer is so good you could drink pint after pint, until you pass out.

I wonder how this would be on nitro...

09-23-2009 06:02:15 | More by MiScusi
projectflam86

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a solid black color with a huge creamy tan head that leaves nice lacing.

S- The nose is full of brewing coffee scents and a bit of smoke. Full dark coffee aroma with dark chocolate coming through. I must say that this is one of the strongest coffee noses that I have had so far.

T- A strong rush of roasted coffee bitterness with a slightly sweet finish. Some cocoa and milk chocolate makes a quick appearance but this baby is all coffee. Waves of espresso and creamy mocha flavor meld together to leave a wonderful coffee aftertaste. The alcohol is hidden quite well. There is just the slightest bit of macadamia nuts and coconut although I'm not sure if I would have picked them out if I didn't know they were in there.

M- Medium/full bodied with a gentle carbonation.

D- Truly a fantastic brew. If you love coffee, this is a must have.

11-14-2009 03:29:13 | More by projectflam86
pastradul

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a couple of bottles of this for a friend who just got a new pad and is opening her own business soon. Big shout out to Pizza Port Solana beach for not charging capage!!!

Pours a nice dark brown. Not as much head as it has poured before. Might have poured a bit soft.

the aroma is the name. Stron coffee upfront, roasted chocolate and slight bit of alcohol.

The taste is amazing. chocolate and coffee battle to be the main flavor, followed by some sweet roasted malt and a slightly nutty dry finish to wrap up.

One of my favorites for sure!!!

05-31-2010 15:23:43 | More by pastradul
GbVDave

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to Ineedabeerhere and errantnight for each sending me this in our recent trades!

A: Pours a dark brown/black french press coffee color with a one finger cap of mocha colored foam on top. The head has an amazingly silky texture and it some healthy rings around the inside of the glass.

S: Freshly roasted coffee dominates the nose when cold. However, as it warms, supporting aromas of dark chocolate, blackened malt, macadamia nuts, cherry, and toasted coconut each step out and take the spotlight.

T: Once again, coffee rules when this is right out of the fridge. And like above, all of the other sweet, semi-sweet, and savory flavors begin to creep out when it warms, gradually eclipsing the early domination of the coffee. Awesome!

M: Smooth and creamy with just a hint of dry bitterness. Lingering finish that lays out a bead of deliciousness across my tongue.

D: Damn! What a surprise. I love a well done coffee beer, but a well done coffee, macadamia nut, toasted coconut beer? Please!

11-19-2009 03:43:04 | More by GbVDave
Beejay

4.53/5  rDev +10%

A: A very dark brown black. Nice mocha colored head that dissipates to a ring fairly quickly.

S: Dark chocolate, and coffee. Something sweet in there too. Maybe caramel, or perhaps I am picking up on the toasted coconut. Whatever it is, it smells fantastic. It seems as this warms the scent gets a little sweeter, possibly more coconut coming through.

T:Starts with a strong, but creamy coffee taste.. then as that fades it turns more into a roasted nut flavor. I am not picking up a lot of the coconut, but there is an underlying creamy sweetness about it that I really like.

M: Creamy, smooth and sensual. Top score here.

D: Oh hell yes.. Big, dark, bold, and tasty as hell. It hides the alcohol really well, and the mouthfeel is like silk. A great beer, I shall have to procure more.

10-30-2009 02:23:58 | More by Beejay
aerozeppl

4.53/5  rDev +10%

A: Very deep brown in color with tons of lacing. All Stone beer have a ton of lacing even old guardian.

S: Just a rich and deep aroma of coffee and chocolate. Not that complex but damn is it nice.

T: Macademia really comes through in the taste and just makes this beer. The coffee is crisp and clear as well. Amazing balance.

M: Luscious. Just a joy. Creamy. Full bodied. Amazing. Everything you want in a porter.

D: Amazing. We did this next to Central Waters Coffee stout and this one killed. Both are good beers but this had a definite edge.

12-27-2009 16:17:29 | More by aerozeppl
brewdlyhooked13

4.53/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - opaque for the most part but does show a dark caramel brown. A thin head of light mocha with a wavy ring of lace at the high water mark.

Aroma - roasty malts and delicious smelling coffee. No coconuts here but this smells great. Shows some light fuselly, almost rubbing alcohol-like astringency at times with warming, tempered by some persistent charred grain.

Taste - charred malts, tons of roast. Big coffee flavor, great taste and intensity. After a few sips, the coconut makes it appearance, very cool. A dry enduring non-sweet flavor that rides on after the coffee and roast fade a bit. Macadamia is pretty lost in here, maybe my taste buds aren't sensitive enough to pick it up. What is here is a great American porter with some great classic flavor and a nice twist with the coconut. The burnt flavors can be a little fatiguing but for the most part I'm digging it, especially the lengthy coffee-infused aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - wonderfully smooth, a good crisp level of carbonation to stand up against some weightiness.

Drinkability - a fine sipping porter sent to me by PaulMPap. Nice one, Paul, thanks much!

02-10-2010 04:27:40 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.