Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
2.87/5  rDev -30%

Gotta say I really wanted to like this beer and was very excited to try it. It had an excellent porter smell to it. Nutty, chocolatey, bready, it was going so well.

However, the pour was flat, no head and seemed weird. I hope I just got a bad bottle as I found this beer to taste flat, with a really slick, bitter burnt and almost red wine taste. Not what I was expecting.

Porters are my favorite style and love the Maui coconut porter, maybe I got a bad bottle, because the beer in bottle I drank, sucked ass. (513 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

Consumed 09/28/09.

Beer is black as pitch in the pint glass. A foamy tan head three fingers tall sprang up from a vigorous pour - more frothy than creamy.

Restrained aroma of toasted coconut and rich cocoa. Malty note as well, though not sweet. Perhaps a whiff of vanilla, though it may be the power of suggestion.

Flavor is primarily burnt coffee - like deeply roasted espresso. Quite bitter. Tiny amount of coconut. No macadamia nut flavor in evidence despite its alleged presence.

Beer is quite dry on the finish though stops just short of parching. An unpleasant burn accompanies. A thicker, smoother mouthfeel would have done wonders for the drinkability.

Virtually no porter character to the flavor, overwhelming coffee flavors and a lack of the promised adjunct flavors add up to a beer I will probably never have again. (832 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.9%

Thanks to GRG1313 for the generous extra. Served in my DT tulip. Pours black with a quarter inch tan-colored head that quickly disperses into a sudsy skim. Nose smells like vegetal garbage, coffee grounds, dark malt and sour fruit. Taste expresses, sour/tart fruit and vegetal coffee - really quite awful and unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a prickly carbonation and a semi-dry, slightly chalky finish. Well, this was a terrible beer. My first drain pour of the new year, and in some time for that matter. Not sure if it was infected or just didn't age well, but extremely disappointing considering the expectations I had based on the name. (666 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

A - This beer pours a nice black color with a small tan head. There was no lacing left on the glass.

S - The smell is that of roasted malts. I also note some coffee, slight hoppiness, and there is a weird sour scent that I just cant put my finger on.

T - Right away I get the roasted malts, coffee, some coconut sweetness, nuttiness, and a bit of dark fruits. Then, there is a weird acidic taste that comes in and totally takes over. It gives this beer a sourness that I just wish wasn't there.

M - This has a medium body with higher carbonation. There is a sourness that is not very pleasant, but if it wasn't for this it would go down quite smoothly.

D - The drinkability would be good if it weren't for the weird sourness. If it were absent, I think this would be a good porter. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I just wasn't too fond of this one. (851 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -35.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - A near black pour with a large, dark tan head.

S - Coffee and some Chocolate.

T - Dirt and coffee, also a slight metal taste.

D - Oily, but good carbonation.

O - I don't know if there was something wrong with this bottle, but it did not taste right. (297 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -49.8%

Don't be fooled by the title. There isn't a trace of coconut or macadamia to be found.

A: Black, kinda porter like...imagine that.

S: Basic porter. No coffee, no coconut, nothing. VERY disappointing.

T: Semi-sweet, maybe a whisper of coffee. No Coconut, no macadamia, VERY disappointing...are you noticing a pattern?

M: Plain....average

D: Not a bad porter, but for the price and name, I expected one helluva alot more. VERY DISAPPOINTED. Will save my money and get a six pack of sierra nevada porter....at least then I know what I'm getting. (548 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -57.1%

I can't remember who sent me this one, as all my notes were lost when my computer crashed. If it was you, cheers for the trade!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, tan head with decent retention. Dark body, almost black, with no carbonation evident. Head fades to a half wisp and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Roasted malts, light coffee notes and some nutty aromas. Light tart cherries in there as well, along with a bit of funk. Great...

TASTE: Yup, she's infected. Tart cherries dominate the show, but there are some light roasted coffee flavors pushing for a stage. The infection is much more obvious than the nose. Bolder and lingering aftertaste is a competition between the tart cherry, brett infection and an trying, but failing, touch of bitter-sweet coffee and roasted flavors. It's not horrid, but definiltey not the point.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Prickly on the palate but it goes down alright, finishing with a touch of dryness.

OVERALL: Obviously infected. This review won't affect its overall score, but it will serve as a point of reference for anyone who may wonder. Stone makes great beer and I'd love to try this one again if I happen to run into it. Unfortunately Drain enjoyed most of this one. (1,317 characters)

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.