Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)

Nice dark color with a creamy tan head. The head eventually fades into a bubbly thin film across the top of the beer. Some lacing is visible as well.

The aroma consists mostly of roasted coffee beans and some nutty malts. A tinge of metallic notes come through as well, but start to fade as the beer warms up a bit.

Well, the coffee flavor is what first hits your mouth. Its not overbearing or bitter, yet you can't miss it. Well balanced in my opinion. Beyond the coffee flavor are some toasted dark malts and a somewhat nutty flavor, which I'm guessing is from the macadamia nuts. Fairly subtle, but still there and they seem to smooth out the coffee flavor. The only thing I'm not really picking up on is the coconut. At times I think it is there, but then I can't taste it on the next sip.

The mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Nice body for an American Porter. The ABV is well hidden, making this an easy drinker.

Overall, this is a very nice porter. Everything is well balanced. I think that people who are really looking for the macadamia nut and coconut to stand out will be somewhat disappointed, but those who want a more well balanced beer, that has some subtle differences from the standard porter, will be very satisfied with this beer.

sisuspeed, Nov 29, 2009

Let me start off by admitting that I bought this because I knew it was very limited and thought I might not get a chance to try it if I passed. I don't really even like coffee beers and I wondered why this was so expensive until I realized they used Kona coffee which is costly. The color was solid black, short head, looks like a porter. The smell was overwhelming coffee but in a great way, very nice. The flavor was more of the same and while my friend said he could taste the coconut, all I got was delicious coffee and a hint of a porter hiding in the back. I'm starting to realize that its not that I don't like coffee beers, I don't like bad coffee beers. Overall this was still a little to costly for my tastes but this was a solid beer from Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 10-25-2009 23:01:34

ArrogantB, Jan 18, 2010

deapokid, Dec 03, 2011

GonzoHomebrewer, Apr 28, 2014

nanobrew, Nov 18, 2011

photomike, Dec 14, 2011

t0rin0, Feb 24, 2013

Found this bottle in the cellar. Pours a deep black with dark brown hues around the borders. Head is medium tan in color with fairly large carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is of chocolate, bitter malt, and some alcohol. Flavor is all about the coffee with a strong underlying cherry/kreik taste. I think the kreik is coming from the acidity of the beer and it having possibly soured a bit. The off flavor is great, but a bit overpowering to allow for any other subtleties to come through in the beer.

neorunner, Aug 08, 2010

Rochefort10nh, Nov 22, 2011

afsdan, Apr 09, 2014

eyes...
dark in the suburbs, light cocoa head rises up to 2 fingers and retreats quickly, lacing is good, the bubbles are very uniform and the head regenerates quickly with a little swirl of the glass, nice.

nose...
cocoa fighting coconut, at first sniff it is really strange, this takes some time to get down to what is going down here, the combination sometimes smells "sickly sweet", you do get a nice dose of coffee but it smells too dark, as an avid kona fan this doesn't smell half as good as my morning brew (I drink medium roast from Richard's on the main island).. not bad but I have stuck my schnozz into better coffee-ish porters.

taste etc...
the heaviness is offset by the carbonation almost perfectly (and I do mean almost, it is a 'touch' too prickly for my preference), coats the mouth well leaving a really pleasant nutty/cocoa aftertaste, the macadamia is very subtle and melded well with the coffee playing in the back as bitter notes (I love bitter), the alcohol is no where to be found, this drinks really easy, considering the amount of ingredients and the pedigree this is just a really nice beer, I wouldn't sell my left nut to get it but if you like starbucks instead of dunkins you might want to check this out.

Ego, Mar 10, 2010

bullywee, Feb 21, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz received as a great quick turnaround trade with AndrewK.. Thanks Andrew!! Sharing with Brenda.. Mine is poured into my Delirium goblet.

1/2" tan head.. no real lacing.. the cap is pretty flimsy.. the brew is pretty much black.

Nose is pretty much a pretty good American Porter.. I'm not getting anything that resembles coconut or macadamia nut.

I am really digging this one.. but I still don't really pick out the coconut or the macadamia nuts.. just a nice coffee porter.. nice coffee element mixes well with the dark malts.. a bit of sorta lactose sweetness..

Great body and carbonation... I like this one, but don't get any of the "collaboration" aspects of this beer other than the coffee.

Thanks Andrew.. another fantastic trade.

3.5/4/4/4/4

JohnGalt1, Dec 20, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

I spent about 15 bucks on one 12 oz bottle in a little shop in Temecula California and I must say, although this beer was good.. I believe the 15 bucks only was able to be charged due to its rarity..not the production of the beer itself..although it was good...it wasnt that great. Poured a jet black color into a rocks glass giving way to a quarter inch caramel colored head. The aroma of this beer is very welcoming...a lot of coffee, chocolate. At 8.5 percent abv the alcohol is hardly present to the nose. I wanted to get more coconut and macadamia in the flavor as well of the nose but sadly was almost not there at all...to me it just came off as any imperial stout.. a ton of coffee and chocolate.. some burnt sugars and roasted malts were present along with a sweet finish but no nutty flavor like i wanted...i definitely suggest trying the beer however..not for 15 bucks a 12 oz.

alkchrios, Sep 02, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This is a twelve ounce into a pint glass. Pours dark, dark nutty brown. I don't find it black, but as brown as it gets with a nice, puffy mocha tan head that stays for awhile. Leaves a web o' lacing around the glass as I drink.

Smells like coffee. I like coffee. I drink coffee all the time so it smells quite good to me. There is also a sweet, almost honey barbecue smell as it warms and lingers.

It tastes like a sweet coffee, getting nuttier as it warms. I taste a little subtle coconut, but not much. I would like a bit more coconut. There is also a bittersweet, roasted chocolate. I dig this honey smoky barbecue that I'm getting. This would probably go great with some chicken wings. Mmmmm.

Carbonation is spot on and smooth. Warming and tasty on a snowy evening.

Not super creamy, not a big alcohol taste, just really easy drinking and goes down quickly despite the underdeveloped coconut.

ManVersusBeer, Dec 06, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a snifter to reveal opaque black body and slight tan head. Smells like coffee grounds in black bean teriyaki sauce, but in a good way. Head dies pretty quickly, leaving little lacing.

Tastes well-roasted with lots of savory notes. Nice light bitterness. Hints of soy sauce. Good malt smoothness. I actually have some Hawaiian crushed coffee bean-candied macadamia nuts in the pantry and there are a lot of flavor parallels here. It's got all the roastiness of the porter with some nice nutty accents and a deep coffee undertone. Maybe even some coconut character, but it's always hard to get that last one. There's less bitterness at the end than what I'd expect from a Stone anything. Medium-bodied, lightly carbonated mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Overall I dig it. If it were cheaper, I would consider buying more and totally marinate some chicken in it.

abuliarose, Nov 29, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this a few times since the release. This review is from notes 10/22. Thanks to Shane and Mike for bottles as well as my homie Greg in NYC.

Pours black with a 1/2 finger head fading to a ring. Appears to be lightly carbonated.

Aroma is definitely coffee forward. Deep flavors of roasted beans. Dark Chocolate and roasted Malts. Marzipan and Coconut struggle to come through, but succeed more as it warms.

Taste is very coffee forward, slight bitterness initially from the coffee. Nuttiness is present. The first couple times I had this, I thought the coconut was too subtle to be enjoyed, but the most recent time I kept getting an intense, lingering coconut flavor in the finish. This flavor was not a sweet coconut, it was nutty and toasty in character. Quite enjoyable actually, and caused me to bump this up a notch.

Mouthfeel is almost creamy but this beer could benefit from a pinch more carbonation. Pretty drinkable considering it's ABV, but alcohol was noticeable as it warmed. Nice collaboration.

Ineedabeerhere, Nov 26, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Interesting bottle, randomly picked this up and was interested to learn that it was a collaboration between Stone brewery, a home-brewer, and a Hawiian brewery.

A) Very dark cola-esque brown with small dark fizzy brown head. Slightly thick and viscious layer against glass.

S) Coffee definitely stood out. Dark, roasted malts, some mild sweetness of the coconut as well. Not a super strong smell.

T) Very flavorful - the roasty coffee, malts, smokiness, and nuttiness all stand out. This is a big flavor, very robust. No overt sweetness but the coconut while subtle balances out some of the bitterness.

MF) Medium, somewhat chewey, thick on the tongue.

D) Good - great taste, and I don't detect the 8.5% alcohol. It's pleasant but one was plenty with so much flavor.

sophisticated, Nov 09, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Great to see that this one arrived in Mass. This will be my first time trying anything from Maui, so this is a treat. Pours a black color, with a quickly fading tan heading. Musty nose of coffee that is not quite as in your face as I would have expected. The nuts also make their way in to the smell in a minor way. It tastes exactly as it is marketed....coffee, macadamia nut and coconut. None of the tastes are too over the top. The Coffee dominates, which is cool, but I would love to have seen the coconut come out a bit more. Mouthfeel is between medium and heavy. Alcohol is hidden well, and drinking this one is easy. Let this beer warm up for sure, as more comes through that way. Not my favorite from the collaborative series, but still damn good and worth a purchase.

jamie2dope, Oct 23, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A welcome gift from my good friend brewtull.

Pretty dull on the pour (into a shaker pint). Head vanishes and leaves a lifeless ale. There is carbonation, just a few bubbles and nothing else to show for it. Maybe lipids from the mac nuts or coconut?

Amazing aroma, full of those toasty coconuts and mac nuts, plus the usual porter chocolate and hop notes. Maybe coffee, but it certainly isn't screaming at me like I thought it would.

Silky, creamy, nutty, toasty, chocolatey, hoppy goodness. It's really tasty. That coffee makes a real entrance here, it's got that spicy, thin mouthfeel type-coffee vibe.

The thing that's really bringing it down is the high gravity. Were it not so thick I could pound these all night. Bring this back to 6% abv and it would be a TKO. Just saying.

Cheers!

rayjay, Nov 20, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours a deep brown color that has some suggestions of red when held to the light. A thin off-white head tops the brew; minimal lacing.

S: A Strong aroma of rich, sweet chocolate and some astringency from the coffee beans - a robust dark roast. A little nuttiness mingles with the chocolate, but alas, no real coconut aroma.

T: A strong dark coffee flavor dominates the flavor and mixes with a nice dose of mocha and perhaps a touch of smoke. A nice bittersweet finishes completes the experience. Still, the coconut is sadly absent.

M: Medium bodied and fairly smooth for the abv. A little astringent in the finish.

D: A cool experience no doubt - definitely a brew I'm glad I stumbled upon. It's a decent porter, but nothing really too special. I really wish the coconut actually came through in the flavor. The coffee really dominated this one.

MrDanno96, Jun 26, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

I sometimes find beers this flat and opaque to be a little drab - unfortunately, this is one of those times. To be fair though, the beer does deserve some credit as it happens to be of a shade of black that honestly must trump all other shades of black; the chances of light getting past this thing are as good as me ever owning the Dallas Cowboys.

Upon hearing of this combination of flavours I figured the macadamia and coconut might be overrun by the coffee; indeed, the first few sniffs support that inclination. It is smokey, it is bitter, it is - in no uncertain terms - very coffee-esque. Fortunately, there is at least a sparing amount of baker's chocolate that goes with it.

With a name that boasts coffee, macadamia nut and coconut in it, I think it's only fair to expect something a little extra tasty. That this is flavourful is never, even for an instance, in doubt. However, that it is sensually titillating or heavenly delicious is likely dependent on its taster. For my palate, this is too full of roast and grain to be considered decadent.

In other words, I think this beer sounds more delicious than it actually is. You'd assume for every added ingredient there'd be an added flavour or texture, but this is disappointingly one-dimensional; the coconut and macadamia are but flies that surround the smokey, bitter coffee roast that is the elephant. I just wish I could be tasting more of them.

This beer is otherwise a very serviceable porter. It is uniquely rich and, although it may not make a full dessert in and of itself, I can only imagine what a sinfully indulgent treat it would be if only I had some worthy sweets or fresh berries to pair with it. Warming has proved to unchain both of the nutty flavours, but it's too little too late (and still too acrid).

The more variety and the greater diversity in the market, the greater incentive there is to be different. For a time, that was easy for Stone to do. Since then, however, they've helped spawn a new generation of talented, creative brewers that have exemplified and realized their vision of a world with bold, arrogant, distinguished beers.

And so perhaps a Coffee/Macadamia/Coconut beer was the only way left to be different, but is the point of being creative just to be creative? Rightly or wrongly, I expected more from this beer. I'll admit: had it of excluded the full ingredients list from its name I likely would have scored it higher... but I'd still of enjoyed it just the same.

biegaman, Jun 13, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A dark brownish almost black color with a minimal light brown head and no sticky lacing.

S: Dark roasted smells with coffee, chocolate, nuts and carmel malt sweetness.

T: Coffee is huge up front with a large roasted malt flavor. I got some slight bittersweet chocolate flavors mixed with the large nutty character and some slight dark fruits. A deep sweetness of caramel and some toffee seep in to mix with the roasted flavors. Finish gives me this funky almost metallic sort of flavor but quickly dissipates. I didn't get any coconut.

M: A bit thin actually for everything that's going on with the beer. No alcohol noticed..

D: Medium. I guess you could have a few, but nothing really excites me to do so.

Overall a decent beer, but not an award winner like I was expecting. I enjoyed the Maui Coconut Porter much more as it had more coconut flavor. Maybe the nuttiness of the macadamias squash the coconut, I don't know. Anyway, glad I tried it.

Kadonny, Sep 29, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear, ruddy dark garnet with a wispy head and great legs. Smells like a mocha latte with a shot of vanilla.
Tastes very smooth but where did the coffee go? It's all about chocolate and vanilla. No real macadamia comes through, which is a shame because that would have made it a very interesting brew. The coffee finally comes through in the lingering finish which is dark and roasty. Not much coconut either, in fact, none was discernable.
Overall a nice, creamy porter, much like a stout in presentation. Unfortunately the price is over the top. There are many stouts and other porters out there just as good for half the price.

kirok1999, Nov 30, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

a porter without anything to hide... as in, it actually tastes like all the designated flavors. a bit of a weaker pour but i figured i'm getting an older bottle at this point. nose is chocolatey coffee malt with a hint of coconut and quite a bit of booze. about a finger of head with an aggressive pour into a tulip. brown black. palate is mild floral citrus that has a mild bloody earth quality. rather hoped like a black ipa that has aged. the coconut is the overpowering like cooking in coconut oil. its subtle and fuses with the malt well. the kona coffee is very mildly acidic and hints on the floral aged hop notes. nice and dry with a nuttiness at first that gives it a nutella feel but not the malty nutty volume i would really really enjoy. still a great treat. i wouldn't say a coffee lovers must though. more malty dessert than complex coffee notes.

rtepiak, Oct 03, 2010
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.