Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Jeffo

Netherlands

1.7/5  rDev -58.8%

I can't remember who sent me this one, as all my notes were lost when my computer crashed. If it was you, cheers for the trade!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, tan head with decent retention. Dark body, almost black, with no carbonation evident. Head fades to a half wisp and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Roasted malts, light coffee notes and some nutty aromas. Light tart cherries in there as well, along with a bit of funk. Great...

TASTE: Yup, she's infected. Tart cherries dominate the show, but there are some light roasted coffee flavors pushing for a stage. The infection is much more obvious than the nose. Bolder and lingering aftertaste is a competition between the tart cherry, brett infection and an trying, but failing, touch of bitter-sweet coffee and roasted flavors. It's not horrid, but definiltey not the point.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Prickly on the palate but it goes down alright, finishing with a touch of dryness.

OVERALL: Obviously infected. This review won't affect its overall score, but it will serve as a point of reference for anyone who may wonder. Stone makes great beer and I'd love to try this one again if I happen to run into it. Unfortunately Drain enjoyed most of this one.

08-27-2012 21:03:14 | More by Jeffo
CoalCellar

2.05/5  rDev -50.4%

Don't be fooled by the title. There isn't a trace of coconut or macadamia to be found.

A: Black, kinda porter like...imagine that.

S: Basic porter. No coffee, no coconut, nothing. VERY disappointing.

T: Semi-sweet, maybe a whisper of coffee. No Coconut, no macadamia, VERY disappointing...are you noticing a pattern?

M: Plain....average

D: Not a bad porter, but for the price and name, I expected one helluva alot more. VERY DISAPPOINTED. Will save my money and get a six pack of sierra nevada porter....at least then I know what I'm getting.

02-17-2010 00:35:12 | More by CoalCellar
bmjivi221

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

08-08-2013 21:16:37 | More by bmjivi221
HuskyinPDX

Washington

2.55/5  rDev -38.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - A near black pour with a large, dark tan head.

S - Coffee and some Chocolate.

T - Dirt and coffee, also a slight metal taste.

D - Oily, but good carbonation.

O - I don't know if there was something wrong with this bottle, but it did not taste right.

05-23-2011 06:54:53 | More by HuskyinPDX
JizackFH

2.6/5  rDev -37%

A - This beer pours a nice black color with a small tan head. There was no lacing left on the glass.

S - The smell is that of roasted malts. I also note some coffee, slight hoppiness, and there is a weird sour scent that I just cant put my finger on.

T - Right away I get the roasted malts, coffee, some coconut sweetness, nuttiness, and a bit of dark fruits. Then, there is a weird acidic taste that comes in and totally takes over. It gives this beer a sourness that I just wish wasn't there.

M - This has a medium body with higher carbonation. There is a sourness that is not very pleasant, but if it wasn't for this it would go down quite smoothly.

D - The drinkability would be good if it weren't for the weird sourness. If it were absent, I think this would be a good porter. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I just wasn't too fond of this one.

12-06-2010 08:47:49 | More by JizackFH
Jwale73

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

Thanks to GRG1313 for the generous extra. Served in my DT tulip. Pours black with a quarter inch tan-colored head that quickly disperses into a sudsy skim. Nose smells like vegetal garbage, coffee grounds, dark malt and sour fruit. Taste expresses, sour/tart fruit and vegetal coffee - really quite awful and unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a prickly carbonation and a semi-dry, slightly chalky finish. Well, this was a terrible beer. My first drain pour of the new year, and in some time for that matter. Not sure if it was infected or just didn't age well, but extremely disappointing considering the expectations I had based on the name.

01-09-2011 16:43:59 | More by Jwale73
SocalKicks

2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

07-02-2013 02:12:40 | More by SocalKicks
charlzm

2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

Consumed 09/28/09.

Beer is black as pitch in the pint glass. A foamy tan head three fingers tall sprang up from a vigorous pour - more frothy than creamy.

Restrained aroma of toasted coconut and rich cocoa. Malty note as well, though not sweet. Perhaps a whiff of vanilla, though it may be the power of suggestion.

Flavor is primarily burnt coffee - like deeply roasted espresso. Quite bitter. Tiny amount of coconut. No macadamia nut flavor in evidence despite its alleged presence.

Beer is quite dry on the finish though stops just short of parching. An unpleasant burn accompanies. A thicker, smoother mouthfeel would have done wonders for the drinkability.

Virtually no porter character to the flavor, overwhelming coffee flavors and a lack of the promised adjunct flavors add up to a beer I will probably never have again.

09-30-2009 08:11:50 | More by charlzm
Murchmac

2.8/5  rDev -32.2%

Gotta say I really wanted to like this beer and was very excited to try it. It had an excellent porter smell to it. Nutty, chocolatey, bready, it was going so well.

However, the pour was flat, no head and seemed weird. I hope I just got a bad bottle as I found this beer to taste flat, with a really slick, bitter burnt and almost red wine taste. Not what I was expecting.

Porters are my favorite style and love the Maui coconut porter, maybe I got a bad bottle, because the beer in bottle I drank, sucked ass.

12-20-2009 22:40:01 | More by Murchmac

01-12-2012 16:06:11 | More by Frozenmoses
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

I've had this bottle for a couple of months now but can't for the life of me remember where it came from.. its from 09 so here's hoping its held up pretty well...

Huge aromas of dark roasted (almost burnt) coffee, tinges of coconut here and there.... mainly coffee... the aromas are nice... im hoping this is more balanced than the aromas would have me believe... no macadamia that I can detect...

Well, I was right... this basically tastes like an old tired burnt cup of coffee... bitter and harsh with the coffee flavors overpowering everything in sight... I was hoping the coconut and macadamia flavors would still be present but they're nowhere to be found... disappointing...

Im giving this the benefit of the doubt since its not necessarily fresh but this didn't do it for me...

11-09-2012 20:26:25 | More by Tilley4
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

I was expecting more considering the pedigree of the brewers and the high price of the bottle ($10). Thne nose is the main issue as it smelled burnt and almost vegetal in nature . I expected a luscious impy porter nose but had to struggle past the smell with each sip. The beer is quite bitter with intense coffee notes almost like a iced coffee had been mixed in with the porter. The nuts really showed up in the finish as the beer warmed up but the beer seemed a little confused in focus because of all the ingredients. Would age help , I don't know because I doubt the nose will improve.

03-08-2010 17:22:52 | More by canucklehead
stakem

3.18/5  rDev -23%

Pours a dark brown color that appears fairly clear with deep ruby red hues when held up to the light. The head appears with more than a finger of creamy tan head that retains very well and sticks all along the glassware. Nose is fresh roasted coffee upfront with an underlying hint of dark malty grain that comes across a bit sweet and with notes of chocolate and a bit of some earthy/nutty character. Some sourness is mingled in with the dark fruity maltiness of the nose. Taste includes all of the aforementioned characteristics that were present in the nose. Upfront there is the bitter coffee character intertwinded with the flavor of dark chocolate. Along with those flavors is a bit of an acidic note maybe influenced by the coffee but it has a slight sour twang to it before the rest of the flavors of this brew come into play. All through the medium to full body of this brew are notes of dark grain suggesting a bit of a roasty nut-like flavor along with dark chocolate and coffee. Long flavorful finish includes the coffee and dark roasty malt. Medium to light level of carbonation with this brew. As this brew warms, the alcohol really starts to come out and the coffee character is still noticeable yet the sourness starts to become overwhelming. The nose starts to smell very vegetative almost like cabbage and the taste is quite acidic to the point where it just isn't very enjoyable like it was straight out the gate and a little too cold.

I am having a hard time feeling this one out to review appropriately. If I reviewed it based on my initial (too cold serving temperature) it would be an "A." However, after letting it warm up to proper temperature it is not enjoyable at all and would be a C-D rating for me. I guess I will average it out with the flavor and aroma as that is only the fair thing to do.

06-28-2010 02:09:26 | More by stakem
UCLABrewN84

3.18/5  rDev -23%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and coffee aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour cocoa and coffee flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is showing its age and this particular bottle is turning slightly sour.

10-29-2013 04:08:34 | More by UCLABrewN84
jzeilinger

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

12-21-2013 01:42:29 | More by jzeilinger
davod23

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip. I've had this a number of times before, but this will be my first rating.

Appearance is great. Very black, viscous pour. A dark tan cap emerges, recedes to a collar of tiny bubbles around the top of the brew - this sticks around for a while.

Smell is nice, quite complex. Coconut comes in first, followed by dark roasted coffee, chocolate, sweet malt, a trace of nuttiness. Vanilla might be in there too, but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. This kinda smells like an Almond Joy bar.

And tastes just a little bit too much like suntan lotion for me. The coconut dominates this brew. I seem to remember this being better... anyway, coconut slams me from the beginning to the end of this beer, with the coffee there but helpless against the white flaky stuff. When the beer is warmed almost to room temperature, the coffee makes a stronger presence known. Quite sweet, with the bittering hops not balancing this out enough. Slightly warming from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Thick, viscous, without being chewy. Good carbonation, very full mouthfeel but full of life.

Drinkability is not really good. I labored to get through the bottle. If I split a 12oz bottle with a friend or two, that would be more than enough for me.

Interesting beer, if not very good. I think this is worth a try, but I can't really recommend it very highly. If you like coconut and robust porters, give it a whirl.

09-30-2010 17:16:51 | More by davod23
brentk56

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: A huge tan head sits atop the fudge colored liquid and just wont give up the ghost and leaves plenty of lace behind

Smell: Coconut-influenced mocha with crusty brown bread

Taste: Brown bread and coffee up front, but the beer gets rather astringent by mid-palate and is puckeringly sour like acrid nut skins after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Perhaps it is the age on this one, but I am having trouble appreciating the flavors amidst the sourness

11-12-2010 02:24:57 | More by brentk56
AleWatcher

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

This was sent to my by my buddy 2DogBrew in one of our many boxes that have traveled this great country to land at each others doorstep.

Pours like any other porter-- hints of red in the deep dark brown color. Minimal caramel head with some spotty lacing on the sides, nothing too crazy.

Smells of deep rich roasty and robust chocolate and fresh ground coffee. don't smell any nutty or coconut notes, which is what I was really hoping for.

On first sip, you have to comment on the mouthfeel-- it is much thicker than it looks. It is a full-bodied porter for sure. Good level of carbonation with plenty of carbonation, that makes it thick and creamy. It goes down nice and smooth. Highly drinkable beer here.

The flavor profile though... Is kind of muddy. It finishes wierd for me-- kind of a minty coconut flavor that reminds me of those "Dirty mouth, clean it up" Orbit gum commercials. Or almost like a pina colada, with that slight alcohol astringency to "help clean and whiten your teeth!"
You do roasted cocoa and coconut, but missing the nuttiness I was hoping for.

Overall-- glad to have tried it. Don't mind if I don't see another bottle.

05-10-2010 04:24:03 | More by AleWatcher
acurtis

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

01-09-2012 15:17:23 | More by acurtis
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.