1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 314 | Reviews: 234 | Show All Ratings:
Jeffo

Netherlands

1.7/5  rDev -58.7%

I can't remember who sent me this one, as all my notes were lost when my computer crashed. If it was you, cheers for the trade!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, tan head with decent retention. Dark body, almost black, with no carbonation evident. Head fades to a half wisp and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Roasted malts, light coffee notes and some nutty aromas. Light tart cherries in there as well, along with a bit of funk. Great...

TASTE: Yup, she's infected. Tart cherries dominate the show, but there are some light roasted coffee flavors pushing for a stage. The infection is much more obvious than the nose. Bolder and lingering aftertaste is a competition between the tart cherry, brett infection and an trying, but failing, touch of bitter-sweet coffee and roasted flavors. It's not horrid, but definiltey not the point.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Prickly on the palate but it goes down alright, finishing with a touch of dryness.

OVERALL: Obviously infected. This review won't affect its overall score, but it will serve as a point of reference for anyone who may wonder. Stone makes great beer and I'd love to try this one again if I happen to run into it. Unfortunately Drain enjoyed most of this one.

08-27-2012 21:03:14 | More by Jeffo
CoalCellar

2.05/5  rDev -50.2%

Don't be fooled by the title. There isn't a trace of coconut or macadamia to be found.

A: Black, kinda porter like...imagine that.

S: Basic porter. No coffee, no coconut, nothing. VERY disappointing.

T: Semi-sweet, maybe a whisper of coffee. No Coconut, no macadamia, VERY disappointing...are you noticing a pattern?

M: Plain....average

D: Not a bad porter, but for the price and name, I expected one helluva alot more. VERY DISAPPOINTED. Will save my money and get a six pack of sierra nevada porter....at least then I know what I'm getting.

02-17-2010 00:35:12 | More by CoalCellar
HuskyinPDX

Washington

2.55/5  rDev -38.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - A near black pour with a large, dark tan head.

S - Coffee and some Chocolate.

T - Dirt and coffee, also a slight metal taste.

D - Oily, but good carbonation.

O - I don't know if there was something wrong with this bottle, but it did not taste right.

05-23-2011 06:54:53 | More by HuskyinPDX
JizackFH

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

A - This beer pours a nice black color with a small tan head. There was no lacing left on the glass.

S - The smell is that of roasted malts. I also note some coffee, slight hoppiness, and there is a weird sour scent that I just cant put my finger on.

T - Right away I get the roasted malts, coffee, some coconut sweetness, nuttiness, and a bit of dark fruits. Then, there is a weird acidic taste that comes in and totally takes over. It gives this beer a sourness that I just wish wasn't there.

M - This has a medium body with higher carbonation. There is a sourness that is not very pleasant, but if it wasn't for this it would go down quite smoothly.

D - The drinkability would be good if it weren't for the weird sourness. If it were absent, I think this would be a good porter. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I just wasn't too fond of this one.

12-06-2010 08:47:49 | More by JizackFH
Jwale73

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -35%

Thanks to GRG1313 for the generous extra. Served in my DT tulip. Pours black with a quarter inch tan-colored head that quickly disperses into a sudsy skim. Nose smells like vegetal garbage, coffee grounds, dark malt and sour fruit. Taste expresses, sour/tart fruit and vegetal coffee - really quite awful and unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a prickly carbonation and a semi-dry, slightly chalky finish. Well, this was a terrible beer. My first drain pour of the new year, and in some time for that matter. Not sure if it was infected or just didn't age well, but extremely disappointing considering the expectations I had based on the name.

01-09-2011 16:43:59 | More by Jwale73
charlzm

2.78/5  rDev -32.5%

Consumed 09/28/09.

Beer is black as pitch in the pint glass. A foamy tan head three fingers tall sprang up from a vigorous pour - more frothy than creamy.

Restrained aroma of toasted coconut and rich cocoa. Malty note as well, though not sweet. Perhaps a whiff of vanilla, though it may be the power of suggestion.

Flavor is primarily burnt coffee - like deeply roasted espresso. Quite bitter. Tiny amount of coconut. No macadamia nut flavor in evidence despite its alleged presence.

Beer is quite dry on the finish though stops just short of parching. An unpleasant burn accompanies. A thicker, smoother mouthfeel would have done wonders for the drinkability.

Virtually no porter character to the flavor, overwhelming coffee flavors and a lack of the promised adjunct flavors add up to a beer I will probably never have again.

09-30-2009 08:11:50 | More by charlzm
Murchmac

2.8/5  rDev -32%

Gotta say I really wanted to like this beer and was very excited to try it. It had an excellent porter smell to it. Nutty, chocolatey, bready, it was going so well.

However, the pour was flat, no head and seemed weird. I hope I just got a bad bottle as I found this beer to taste flat, with a really slick, bitter burnt and almost red wine taste. Not what I was expecting.

Porters are my favorite style and love the Maui coconut porter, maybe I got a bad bottle, because the beer in bottle I drank, sucked ass.

12-20-2009 22:40:01 | More by Murchmac
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

I've had this bottle for a couple of months now but can't for the life of me remember where it came from.. its from 09 so here's hoping its held up pretty well...

Huge aromas of dark roasted (almost burnt) coffee, tinges of coconut here and there.... mainly coffee... the aromas are nice... im hoping this is more balanced than the aromas would have me believe... no macadamia that I can detect...

Well, I was right... this basically tastes like an old tired burnt cup of coffee... bitter and harsh with the coffee flavors overpowering everything in sight... I was hoping the coconut and macadamia flavors would still be present but they're nowhere to be found... disappointing...

Im giving this the benefit of the doubt since its not necessarily fresh but this didn't do it for me...

11-09-2012 20:26:25 | More by Tilley4
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

I was expecting more considering the pedigree of the brewers and the high price of the bottle ($10). Thne nose is the main issue as it smelled burnt and almost vegetal in nature . I expected a luscious impy porter nose but had to struggle past the smell with each sip. The beer is quite bitter with intense coffee notes almost like a iced coffee had been mixed in with the porter. The nuts really showed up in the finish as the beer warmed up but the beer seemed a little confused in focus because of all the ingredients. Would age help , I don't know because I doubt the nose will improve.

03-08-2010 17:22:52 | More by canucklehead
stakem

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a dark brown color that appears fairly clear with deep ruby red hues when held up to the light. The head appears with more than a finger of creamy tan head that retains very well and sticks all along the glassware. Nose is fresh roasted coffee upfront with an underlying hint of dark malty grain that comes across a bit sweet and with notes of chocolate and a bit of some earthy/nutty character. Some sourness is mingled in with the dark fruity maltiness of the nose. Taste includes all of the aforementioned characteristics that were present in the nose. Upfront there is the bitter coffee character intertwinded with the flavor of dark chocolate. Along with those flavors is a bit of an acidic note maybe influenced by the coffee but it has a slight sour twang to it before the rest of the flavors of this brew come into play. All through the medium to full body of this brew are notes of dark grain suggesting a bit of a roasty nut-like flavor along with dark chocolate and coffee. Long flavorful finish includes the coffee and dark roasty malt. Medium to light level of carbonation with this brew. As this brew warms, the alcohol really starts to come out and the coffee character is still noticeable yet the sourness starts to become overwhelming. The nose starts to smell very vegetative almost like cabbage and the taste is quite acidic to the point where it just isn't very enjoyable like it was straight out the gate and a little too cold.

I am having a hard time feeling this one out to review appropriately. If I reviewed it based on my initial (too cold serving temperature) it would be an "A." However, after letting it warm up to proper temperature it is not enjoyable at all and would be a C-D rating for me. I guess I will average it out with the flavor and aroma as that is only the fair thing to do.

06-28-2010 02:09:26 | More by stakem
UCLABrewN84

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and coffee aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour cocoa and coffee flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is showing its age and this particular bottle is turning slightly sour.

10-29-2013 04:08:34 | More by UCLABrewN84
davod23

3.38/5  rDev -18%

Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip. I've had this a number of times before, but this will be my first rating.

Appearance is great. Very black, viscous pour. A dark tan cap emerges, recedes to a collar of tiny bubbles around the top of the brew - this sticks around for a while.

Smell is nice, quite complex. Coconut comes in first, followed by dark roasted coffee, chocolate, sweet malt, a trace of nuttiness. Vanilla might be in there too, but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. This kinda smells like an Almond Joy bar.

And tastes just a little bit too much like suntan lotion for me. The coconut dominates this brew. I seem to remember this being better... anyway, coconut slams me from the beginning to the end of this beer, with the coffee there but helpless against the white flaky stuff. When the beer is warmed almost to room temperature, the coffee makes a stronger presence known. Quite sweet, with the bittering hops not balancing this out enough. Slightly warming from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Thick, viscous, without being chewy. Good carbonation, very full mouthfeel but full of life.

Drinkability is not really good. I labored to get through the bottle. If I split a 12oz bottle with a friend or two, that would be more than enough for me.

Interesting beer, if not very good. I think this is worth a try, but I can't really recommend it very highly. If you like coconut and robust porters, give it a whirl.

09-30-2010 17:16:51 | More by davod23
brentk56

3.38/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: A huge tan head sits atop the fudge colored liquid and just wont give up the ghost and leaves plenty of lace behind

Smell: Coconut-influenced mocha with crusty brown bread

Taste: Brown bread and coffee up front, but the beer gets rather astringent by mid-palate and is puckeringly sour like acrid nut skins after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Perhaps it is the age on this one, but I am having trouble appreciating the flavors amidst the sourness

11-12-2010 02:24:57 | More by brentk56
AleWatcher

3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

This was sent to my by my buddy 2DogBrew in one of our many boxes that have traveled this great country to land at each others doorstep.

Pours like any other porter-- hints of red in the deep dark brown color. Minimal caramel head with some spotty lacing on the sides, nothing too crazy.

Smells of deep rich roasty and robust chocolate and fresh ground coffee. don't smell any nutty or coconut notes, which is what I was really hoping for.

On first sip, you have to comment on the mouthfeel-- it is much thicker than it looks. It is a full-bodied porter for sure. Good level of carbonation with plenty of carbonation, that makes it thick and creamy. It goes down nice and smooth. Highly drinkable beer here.

The flavor profile though... Is kind of muddy. It finishes wierd for me-- kind of a minty coconut flavor that reminds me of those "Dirty mouth, clean it up" Orbit gum commercials. Or almost like a pina colada, with that slight alcohol astringency to "help clean and whiten your teeth!"
You do roasted cocoa and coconut, but missing the nuttiness I was hoping for.

Overall-- glad to have tried it. Don't mind if I don't see another bottle.

05-10-2010 04:24:03 | More by AleWatcher
RustyDiamond

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Picturesque pour into snifter...perfect dark brown with a finger of cappucino head. Head rather quickly dissipates. Big aroma of freshly ground coffee. And as expected, big coffee on the nose. Huge actually, leaving some bitterness to be had. Some nutty taste there, but again drowned out by the coffee. Reading the label now, I guess this is why- Kona. Very big & bold...this coming from a coffee fan. Bitter, with some vanilla thrown in I guess. Getting no coconut sweetness, because the Kona is standing in the way. Difficult to enjoy all 12 ounces.

11-15-2009 07:01:13 | More by RustyDiamond
david18

3.5/5  rDev -15%

I had a twelve ounce bottle of this recently. It was one of four three-brewery collaboration ales that Stone is involved in. It was not one of my favorites as it was little to much coconut.

Appearance is a very dark brown with a dark head that was not big but did stick around for a while.

Aroma was of strong coconut and coffee. A little too sweet for a beer for me.

Flavor as well was too intense on the extra flavors and didn't leave enough room to really enjoy the beer.

I would recommend it but I liked the other collab beers in this case better.

03-15-2012 18:19:03 | More by david18
froghop

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a black with a small brown head, and a little lacing.

smell is of malt, cocoa, a little coffee, and some butter.

taste is dry, coffee, come cocoa, and roasted nuts, ends a little creamy, and somewhat bitter.

overall pretty good but not as good as the rating suggest.

11-15-2009 03:40:59 | More by froghop
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

Sampled November 2009
A solid pour into my large Triple Karmeliet tulip produces an almost four finger thick, nicely browned head that leaves some nice, light lacing on the sides of my glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is quite dark, almost pure black, but it shows just a touch of diffused, rich red color when held up to the light, though the beer remains quite opaque. Aroma is quite acrid, sharp and burnt smelling. It doesn't seem to well balanced really. If you can get past the dominant burnt character, there is a nice toasted coconut note to the nose with some vanilla notes. There is a bit of a roasted vegetal note at times to the nose.

The flavor is a bit smoother than the aroma as there is a sweetness to this beer that helps cut the acrid roast, but the beer still finishes with an acidic burnt note that lingers a bit on the tongue. There is a solid, roasted nuttiness to the beer that is a combination of coconut and some other rich nut character that must be the macadamia nut notes (but I don't know this flavor well enough to place it). The body of this beer is actually pretty well balanced, I think the texture is hurt a bit by the acrid roast character, but this also helps to lighten the body up just a touch, but without overwhelming the soft creaminess that this beer has.

As the beer warms up it gets a bit more balanced, though it is still heavily roasted. This is certainly not a bad beer, the roast character really is a bit too harsh to call this great though. The mash schedule and perhaps the water treatment for this beer where a bit off from where they should have been, but this might soften up with 6 months or so of age.

03-07-2010 16:25:34 | More by Gueuzedude
klewis

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours black with a small frothy head. Litle sustain or lacing.

S: Light smell of vanilla cream with light coffee aromas.

T: Well-balanced with flavors of mocha, coconut, and light oak notes. A bit of heat.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. A lingering coconut flavor.

D: This scores points for originality and uniqueness, and it is an enjoyable quaff, but it ultimately falls short of greatness and is not worth its price tag for me. Definitely worth trying though.

12-04-2009 02:34:13 | More by klewis
Kegatron

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours mostly black in the glass (maybe a darker shade of brown depending on how the light hits it) with several big foamy fingers of mocha tan colored head. This retains with a rich ½ finger of froth, which leaves a thick latticework of sticky foam down the sides of the glass. Coffee stands out immediately in the aroma, giving off notes of astringent and biting roast. Chocolate and earthy hops sit underneath with a fairly heavy feel, while light notes of both macadamia and coconut each add a bit of both nutty and milky sweetness to the proceedings in their own way. These aspects of it actually strengthen across the back of the aroma the more this warms.

Dark roasted coffee is very crunchy and assertive feeling in the taste, mixing in easily with equally sharp notes of bitter chocolate and spicy and earthy hops. The gentle milky nature of the coconut hangs with the chewy sweetness of the chocolate towards the back, while the nuttiness of the macadamia character mostly mingles in the finish along with lingering acrid roast and astringent notes from the coffee. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a big smooth creaminess up front that then gets much more chewy and slick towards the back. This is actually showing a bit more heat than I would have thought (or liked) with a warmth to it that sticks right in the stomach at times.

While this was overall decent (playing more like a straight up Coffee Porter, with the coconut and macadamia aspect showing a distant second), there was just too much of a burnt and acrid nature to the coffee, plus this showed way more alcohol than it should have. This was a bit disappointing considering the pedigree involved.

03-15-2010 19:52:08 | More by Kegatron
Chico1985

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

This is my 2nd bottle, first one was drank in October when I first got them, I let this one sit for a few months. Pours black, tan head that fizzes away mostly somewhat quickly. Sticks around though and leaves lacing. Smell is coffee, but not your average coffee beer smell, it's more sweet. Must be the macadamia/coconut but I wouldn't of guessed that unless I knew the ingredients. I can taste coffee obviously but I'm not getting anything else. This thing is hot on the mouth with alcohol. About 3/4 of the way through I think I can get a hint of macadamia in the taste. Mouthfeel is fine for a porter, maybe a little fizzy. Alcohol taste and high price drag down the drinkability. Overall, disappointing, I looked forward very much to this beer. I was hoping for more coconut and macadamia, this is more of a alright coffee beer.

01-30-2010 18:16:27 | More by Chico1985
Betmore

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

*poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass at approx. 55 degrees*

This brew poured the absolute darkest shade of brown. I can't quite say black because I could see a touch of light creeping through it from the bottom of the glass. It formed a frothy, two-finger tan head that took about two minutes to diminish into a thin film of bubbles. There was fair to moderate lacing.

Upon my first whiff, my nose was met with alcohol and chocolate. Successive samples produced more alcohol, chocolatey malts, a hint of coffee, and possibly a bit of hops. This brew smells extremely rich and boozey. Honestly, I'm a little turned off by the level of alcohol in the aroma, however, I am now exceedingly curious as to whether that will carry over into to taste. Lets find out...

My first impression is one of dissapointment. While the alcohol is actually hidden pretty well behind a wall of malts, theres just not that much going on. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent to good porter but it isn't anything to get excited about. I'm getting an abundance of roasted malts, a suprising (not necessarily for Stone though) amount of hops, and a touch of bitter coffee. The macadamia and toasted coconut are, for all intents and purposes, absent. They're there, but only as the most subtle of notes.

Mouthfeel on this one is actually pretty good. The carbonation wakes up and lingers when I swirl this beer in my glass and sip it.

Drinkability is ok. Its pretty rich and the ABV is a tad on the high side. Then theres the factor that I usually don't apply... Cost. This 12 oz. bottle was $7.99. Thats just too much. Curiosity got the better of me this time but I definitley will not be buying this one again. Honestly, I don't think I would buy it again at $7.99/bomber. Its a good porter but, like I stated earlier, nothing to get excited about.

11-22-2010 02:55:34 | More by Betmore
SpeedwayJim

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Shared this one with capra12. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Surly pint glass.

A: Poured a 1.5 finger coarse light caramel head with moderate retention. Brew itself was black amber, near opaque. Lacing was close to non-existent.

S: Coffee nose is overwhelming here with just a tiny tiny hint of nuttiness. However, the strong black coffee aroma really just seems to cover everything else.

T: Nutty roasted coffee, dark chocolate. Coconut taste really makes itself apparent as the brew warms and comes in towards the middle, end. Taste is like coconut shavings.

M: Deep bodied and rather carbonated. Brew is filmy in the mouth and finishes clean and quick.

D: I'm not really sure what the hype surrounding this beer is. Yes, its pretty good, but nothing outstanding, just very very different. That being said, its sweeter than other porters I've had and more complex. Deserving, but not outrageously good.

10-30-2009 15:14:55 | More by SpeedwayJim
u2carew

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz long neck. Consumed 1/23/10

A) Pours with a thin tan head. The lacing is semi-sticky. Nearly opaque with some reddish hues.
S) Smoky. Light notes of coconut. Earthy at times. Pungent
T) Coffee. Roasted grain. Earthy - mossy, dirt. Notes of alcohol, but not overpowering. Finishes gritty with hints of hops.
M) Slightly syrupy. Full body with a port-esque feel.
D) A nice collaboration brew. Unique flavors. Interesting combination.

02-07-2010 22:54:47 | More by u2carew
SanDiegoBeerLove

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Dark with red highlights just like a cup of coffee. Head is thick, Dark Tan, and about a finger in width.

S - Smell of Roasted Coffee(overpowering), Bitter Chocolate, Vanilla, Cherry, and Brown Sugar.

T - Tastes of Roasted Coffee, Chocolate, Vanilla, Coconut, Cocoa powder and Tannic.

M - Good mouthfeel with average carbonation but a little chalky(because of the Coffee and Macadamia) for my tastes.

D - This is a good desert beer if you like coffee but I don't and still like it. I wonder how much caffeine is in this beer. The alcohol really doesn't show much.

03-23-2010 05:10:39 | More by SanDiegoBeerLove
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.