Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
2.55/5  rDev -38.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - A near black pour with a large, dark tan head.

S - Coffee and some Chocolate.

T - Dirt and coffee, also a slight metal taste.

D - Oily, but good carbonation.

O - I don't know if there was something wrong with this bottle, but it did not taste right.

HuskyinPDX, May 23, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Finally found one of these elusive creatures, but pricey at 9 dollars for a 12 oz bottle.
Pours a solid black with a two finger mocha head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of fudge, chocolate and coffee mostly. Slight dark fruit in the background. Traces of vanilla and alcohol round out the nose. I don't pick up any coconut or macadamia in the aroma. Taste is coffee and dark chocolate up front, bitter roast that melds into coconut, finishing semi dry with a long lingering roasted grain and coconut finish. Creamy sticky mouthfeel, thick body with a semi dry finish, light carbonation. I really enjoyed this one. I was a little nervous because I really hate coconut, but its subtle enough in here that I could actually appreciate it and I think it works really well.

johnnnniee, Dec 07, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle, $6.99 each in OH but at that price I was lucky that this one was a gift (thanks Corey!). The beer is dark brown and opaque, just a little red translucence at the bottom of the glass, 1.5 fingers of light tan foam. I get a lot of coffee in the first whiff but not so overpowering as to mask the coconut in subsequent sniffs. The coffee overwhelms most other flavors but does allow some malty sweetness to squeak through. Really well put together, this is as balanced as it can be while being mostly bitter, if you're in the mood for coffee you'll be really happy with this beer. The body is thicker than most porters, maybe on par with a Baltic Porter.

Very very good, probably my favorite of the Stone triple collaborations so far. But really the $6.99 price tag per 12oz bottle is a bit ridiculous. Not worth 2x the price of Founders Breakfast Stout or even 1.5x Peche Mortel, but still satisfying as a 1-time beer.

TurdFurgison, Oct 26, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The 12oz bottle cost $6.99 in Ft Collins.

This pours a very dark brown with some red tints and a 2 finger head of tannish foam. The foam is shrinking slowly leaving some good lacing.

The smell is roasty with notes of chocolate, toffee, some sweet malt, and by gawd, I can smell a buttload of coffee.. A nice balance between bitter and sweet. Alcohol is kind of in the picture too.

The taste is malty with some good sweet notes and roasted malt, some bittersweet chocolate, tasty fesh coffee like flavours, and a note or 2 of vanilla. It's very tasty and thank goodness for that as there's a pretty strong presence of the alcohol.

I call this full bodied with a subdued amount of carbonation that results in a great mouthfeel.

Drinkability? The alcohol is noticeable so that'll hold down the score for me more than a bitt. That being said, I really like what's going on with this beer. Super tasty, great mouthfeel, and easy on the eyes. A firm thumbs up from yours truly.

Bitterbill, May 27, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours dark brown with about a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is very nice, it smells like coffee, coconut, roasted malt, chocolate and some nuts. The taste is the same as the aroma, with a great mix between the sweet and bitter flavors (although I do think the bitter flavors are stronger than the sweet ones). There's also a slight lingering bitter coffee finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's thicker than most porters, not that I'm complaining! It's rich and coating, and has above average carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, but it would be hard to drink more than a couple bottles of this at a time. The alcohol isn't noticable in the taste, although it does hit you after a while. I think this is a good overall brew, if you get a chance you should definitely try this one.

bluejacket74, Nov 26, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I got to try this earlier thanks to Joe (Ineedabeerhere) and Shane(HopHead84), and now, thanks to the very kind John and Chris, I have bottles to contemplate in their entirety while listening to Ensiferum's From Afar

The pour is black, with a dense brown head with excellent retention and some lace. Reddish brown highlights are apparent as well.

A great coffee character kicks things off, with a clean, medium roast character with low bitterness and a bright acidity. Coconut is present in quite a copious amount as well, and the intoxicating macadamia nut character brings to mind something I never thought I'd smell in a beer. Back home in India, at one of my friend's place, I'd occasionally have lunch where one of the featured items on the menu was dried red chili peppers soaked in yogurt for a while and deep fried in coconut oil. Not spicy in the least, I'm quite amazed by the semblance. That said - this beer delivers on all fronts - a great coffee character, a ton of coconut and a distinct nuttiness, all beautifully balanced. The base porter, while great with a mild bitterness and roast character, with some cocoa, isn't obtrusive in the least. Thoroughly enjoyable, it's definitely the best Stone collaboration beer that I've had yet.

Opening up with plenty of coffee, the other adjuncts added do affect the way I perceive the coffee, it seems medium-light in roast with a mild citrus character and a touch of refreshing acidity. Soon, though, the coconut really does take over, and I have to admit that I haven't tasted such a coconuty beer ever. Thoroughly natural, it is rich and deep with a great coconut meat flavor as well as a distinct coconut oil character. I can't say that I get huge macadamia nut character, it's not as noticeable as on the nose. That said, it's still present, noticeable, with the characteristic nutty sweetness of macadamias. Astringency is low, but that's not surprising given the character of the nut. All told, this is one beer where I welcome the novelty of the adjuncts overwhelming the relative simplicity of the base beer. While ample, I think the brewers made a good decision by keeping it simple - moderate chocolate, low bitterness, moderate roast, low hop character - and allowing their vision of what a balanced coffee-coconut-macadamia nut beer should taste like come through.

On the heavier side of light with moderate carbonation, this is great stuff. The finish is quite exceptional, really, with beautifully balanced coffee and coconut with just a touch of macadamia nut, and just enough bitterness to balance out the flavor of the fleshy coconut. I'm absolutely enjoying this bottle, and I have to ask myself - what if this beer met a bourbon barrel?

DefenCorps, Nov 16, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of paulxqx poured into a tulip.

Pours dark brown out of the bottle and sits almost completely black in the glass with no light showing through. There's a big off-white head that hangs around as a cap and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma has lots of dark roasted malts and burnt espresso. There is definitely more than a hint of coconut in the nose as well.

The taste is really nice, very complex. It's got the initial sweetness of the coconut and dark chocolate before the dark roasted malts take over. The coffee in the taste is much more well-integrated with the other flavors and doesn't take on the burnt character that I got in the nose.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth with good carbonation and full-bodied. Dessert-like overall mouthfeel.

I love this beer and I might put it a slight notch above the Maui Coconut - one of the better beers I've tasted recently.

gford217, Oct 11, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a clear dark brown color with a light tan head. Roasted coffee aroma, black burnt malts. Dark caramel and coffee flavor with a substantial tart fruitiness midpalate, mild toasted coconut. Modest chocolatiness. Full oily body; rich and smooth. Not a big coconut fan (hate the stuff actually) but this was pretty solid.

illidurit, Jun 07, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -35%

Thanks to GRG1313 for the generous extra. Served in my DT tulip. Pours black with a quarter inch tan-colored head that quickly disperses into a sudsy skim. Nose smells like vegetal garbage, coffee grounds, dark malt and sour fruit. Taste expresses, sour/tart fruit and vegetal coffee - really quite awful and unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a prickly carbonation and a semi-dry, slightly chalky finish. Well, this was a terrible beer. My first drain pour of the new year, and in some time for that matter. Not sure if it was infected or just didn't age well, but extremely disappointing considering the expectations I had based on the name.

Jwale73, Jan 09, 2011

pathman, Jul 06, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -15%

whartontallboy, Nov 14, 2011

Let me start off by admitting that I bought this because I knew it was very limited and thought I might not get a chance to try it if I passed. I don't really even like coffee beers and I wondered why this was so expensive until I realized they used Kona coffee which is costly. The color was solid black, short head, looks like a porter. The smell was overwhelming coffee but in a great way, very nice. The flavor was more of the same and while my friend said he could taste the coconut, all I got was delicious coffee and a hint of a porter hiding in the back. I'm starting to realize that its not that I don't like coffee beers, I don't like bad coffee beers. Overall this was still a little to costly for my tastes but this was a solid beer from Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 10-25-2009 23:01:34

ArrogantB, Jan 18, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

477th review on BA
Bottle to tulip

Shared between GuruDel & ChurginDS before our SD road trip.

App- A gorgeous lucious brown with a nice 1 finger head to it. A little lace slides down the glass.

Smell- Opens nicely with some sweet flavors of malts, and of course the coconut. It has some duality of malts, with some roasted notes and even some burnt malts. The coffee notes were very tame.

Taste- Taste follows the nose almost to a T. The beer is very multi-layered and quite easy to slam it back, takes some control not to just pound the glass.

Mouth- Medium bodied but almost light, would have liked a little fuller feel. Medium carbonated as well.

Drink- I would like to drink this in the AM vs coffee if it was allowed. So tasty, easy to drink and flavorful. Well done collaboration.

FosterJM, May 19, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a nice dark black hue with a small mocha head. Lite retention with spotty lace.

S: Aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate mostly.

T: Dark roasted malt, bitter chocolate with notes of fudge. The middle is dominated by bold coffee. A touch of coconut comes through in the finish.

M: Medium in body, good carbonation.

D: Good. Pretty good beer I was expecting a bit more to be honest. Could use a bigger blast of coconut to really push it overthetop.

tpd975, Oct 14, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Reviewed on 12/11/2009. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts, coffee, bitter roasted malt, and a touch of coconut too. Flavor of sweet roasted malt, residual sugars and lactose initially with a bitter roasted malt finish. Pretty tasty and quite drinkable. This one lived up to my expectations.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 19, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this up at 99 Bottles. Not sure it will be available at home. As it turns out the bottle won't make it home as I am enjoying it on my last night in Seattle.

Dark, dark brown... like a deep root beer. In fact darker. Like French roast coffee the more I think about it. Thin tan head forms and quickly recedes. There is small amount of lacing that remains.

My God this smells exactly like Founders Breakfast or Peche Mortel. Coffee, boozy, wonderful..

Well my first comment is that I don't taste any coconut. Strong, smooth wonderful coffee/espresso flavor. Some vanilla and I would almost say it tastes barrel aged. I don't think it is. This is really growing on me as I enjoy the bottle. Dark roasted notes linger with a slight nuttiness, but I would have never guessed macadamia nuts.
At the end I can definitely sense the abv, but it's not "hot" It works.

Semi bold and thick body, oily slick and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and I hope I can find more at home. I really like this.

Well done!

Reagan1984, Nov 13, 2009

Nice super-dark pour. Some coffee right away in the aroma. Coffee and dark-roasted malt carry through with a moderate creamyness to the mouthfeel. I was a bit let-down that I really got very little sense of either the coconut or the macadamia nut, but this beer has now been in the bottle a while and perhaps the coffee tends to take over. Nonetheless, taken as a coffe-flavored porter, it was quite good, and the abv was not evident at all.

Brent, Mar 15, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

I was expecting more considering the pedigree of the brewers and the high price of the bottle ($10). Thne nose is the main issue as it smelled burnt and almost vegetal in nature . I expected a luscious impy porter nose but had to struggle past the smell with each sip. The beer is quite bitter with intense coffee notes almost like a iced coffee had been mixed in with the porter. The nuts really showed up in the finish as the beer warmed up but the beer seemed a little confused in focus because of all the ingredients. Would age help , I don't know because I doubt the nose will improve.

canucklehead, Mar 08, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Black brew with a creamy beige head that settles to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing behind.
Roasted coffee bean aroma, very nice.
Taste has plenty of roasted coffee beans with dark chocolate and some nuttiness taking a back seat. The nut taste is more evident in the burps after drinking this beer. I like it a lot.
Medium bodied with a velvety smooth feel.
Easy to drink as the 8.5% abv is not noticable at all in the aroma or taste, so tread lightly.

JoeyBeerBelly, Nov 27, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

CheapBeerBuzz, Mar 22, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz. bottle into goblet on 1/12/11. Shared with brewslut.

A - Pourd a dark coffee brown liquid with a quarter inch foamy tan cap that receded to a thin ring of retention and swirly patch but no lacing.

S - Medium to dark roasted malt lends an assertive coffee character to the aroma. The coconut is not as prevalant as I'd hoped, unfortunately, but it did become more aromatic after the liquid warmed up a bit. A hint of chocolate and nutty malt is also apparent.

T - Opens with a roasted coffee character with a hint of chocolate notes. A wash of coconut emerges in the middle just before the finish, then ends with a blend of coffee bitterness, earthy hops and a hint of nutty astringency. Alcohol is virtually undetectable for an 8.5% ABV beer.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and moderate carbonation, which provides a hint of prickle on the tongue. Finishes with slight astringency and very mild bitterness on the palate.

D - Not as earth-shattering as I remember it being, but the flavor really opened up as the liquid warmed, producing an intoxicating blend of coffee, coconut and nutty malt. Delicious!

ffejherb, Jan 13, 2011

deapokid, Dec 03, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy/fizzy light brown head with average retention for a coffee beer and a small ring of lacing.

4.5 S: Roasted coffee is plentiful, but coconut is right behind. Coconut and coffee work so well together and I'd love to see more breweries using them in tandem. Anyway, the underlying porter falls somewhat victim to the stronger C&C aromas (which I'm okay with), but there is still a grainy roastiness to be picked up. This is one great smelling beer.

4.5 T: The taste is in a word: powerful. The coconut flavor comes in full force, pushing aside even the coffee. Coffee is still strong, however, and makes for a tasty collaboration with coconut. Also, there's a lactose-like sweet & sourness present. I don't know if there's any lactose in here, but it sure tastes like it. Malts are somewhat nutty, somewhat grainy, with plenty of roasty toastiness.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit aggresive, but not too much so. Could be a bit creamier, but overall okay.

4.5 D: This is a great beer for what who like coconut and coffee. For those who don't, shame on you. Definitely something I wouldn't mind having again and again.

DavoleBomb, Dec 04, 2010

12oz bottle into nonic.

A - Pours a very dark brown, practically black. A very thin tan-colored head comes about on an pretty aggressive poor, but quicky subsides into a thin ring around the glass. No lacing from the head.

S - Smells like a freshly brewed cup of coffee mixed with lots sweet & bitter chocolate. Some subtle hints of roasted nuts, some vanilla, some sweet cream as well. Yum!

T - Lots of coffee notes right off the bat. Some black coffee notes mixed with some chocolate covered coffee beans. A nice bitter, roasted malty finish with dark chocolate mixed in there as well. Mostly, this is coffee coffee coffee and then the porter characater comes through at the end with the smokey malts and chocolate.

M - Medium, very rich and smooth. Feels so nice on every sip and just the right amount of tingle from the carbonation. Really creamy and palate-covering. Perfect.

D - One per session is the perfect amount. That said, I am glad I have a few more bottle to drink over the next few months to see if/what changes in this awesome porter!

Sean9689, Oct 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, another from the series of collaborations between Stone and one (or more) brewers. Poured to a pint glass. The final inning of Game 6 of the World Series, Yankees win it 7-3.

A: Very dark, a striking brown-ness that glows with auburn at the fringes. Head never builds above 1/2-finger, falls rapidly to a slender ring and broken film. Little lace, just a few dabs of cream.

S: A nostril-stinging noseful of acrid coffee and burnt nuts...first sniff was a bit off-putting...not that it's 'bad' it's just, well, strong... Sweeter notes of toasted macadamia, vague coconut, a little cocoa.

T: Wow, NOT what I expected...a tart/sour porter? Not as harsh as that sounds, but I expected a much less astringent coffee roast, a sweeter malt, a more notable 'tropical' flair, I suppose. Chewy coffee and bittersweet baker's chocolate, a liberal lemony squeeze

M: Crisp, almost biting, carbonation. Hefty build-up of malty grain filling the mouth, a long-lasting bitterness. Medium/full body, alcohol isn't blatant but warmth is apparent.

D: Only moderately drinkable for me, an intense porter with a tart twist and a lofty ABV...OK to sip on 12 oz. for a while but nowhere near the upper echelon for me...cost is high per bottle ($8+), which doesn't necessarily factor into drinkability, but does factor into 'repeat buy-ability'...worth a try.

msubulldog25, Nov 05, 2009
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.