2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 315 | Reviews: 234 | Show All Ratings:
JizackFH

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

A - This beer pours a nice black color with a small tan head. There was no lacing left on the glass.

S - The smell is that of roasted malts. I also note some coffee, slight hoppiness, and there is a weird sour scent that I just cant put my finger on.

T - Right away I get the roasted malts, coffee, some coconut sweetness, nuttiness, and a bit of dark fruits. Then, there is a weird acidic taste that comes in and totally takes over. It gives this beer a sourness that I just wish wasn't there.

M - This has a medium body with higher carbonation. There is a sourness that is not very pleasant, but if it wasn't for this it would go down quite smoothly.

D - The drinkability would be good if it weren't for the weird sourness. If it were absent, I think this would be a good porter. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I just wasn't too fond of this one.

12-06-2010 08:47:49 | More by JizackFH
DavoleBomb

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy/fizzy light brown head with average retention for a coffee beer and a small ring of lacing.

4.5 S: Roasted coffee is plentiful, but coconut is right behind. Coconut and coffee work so well together and I'd love to see more breweries using them in tandem. Anyway, the underlying porter falls somewhat victim to the stronger C&C aromas (which I'm okay with), but there is still a grainy roastiness to be picked up. This is one great smelling beer.

4.5 T: The taste is in a word: powerful. The coconut flavor comes in full force, pushing aside even the coffee. Coffee is still strong, however, and makes for a tasty collaboration with coconut. Also, there's a lactose-like sweet & sourness present. I don't know if there's any lactose in here, but it sure tastes like it. Malts are somewhat nutty, somewhat grainy, with plenty of roasty toastiness.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit aggresive, but not too much so. Could be a bit creamier, but overall okay.

4.5 D: This is a great beer for what who like coconut and coffee. For those who don't, shame on you. Definitely something I wouldn't mind having again and again.

12-04-2010 17:43:34 | More by DavoleBomb
DeanMoriarty

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Had this out of a snifter at Holiday Wine Cellar's special event for San Diego Beer Week 2010: "Stone Vintage Archives & Decadent Chocolate Pairings" hosted by Dr. Bill Sysack of Stone Brewing. Paired with North Park's Eclipse Chocolat - Vanilla Bean Sassafras truffle. Refereed to by Dr. Bill as "Aloha Plenty".

Notes from Ken Schmidt (who was present for the entire tasting) - 300 lbs of Kona Coffee, 300 lbs of Macadamia Nut and 100 lbs of toasted coconut

A: Pours an extremely dark hue with a solid head revealing some brown hues around the edge of the glass, leaving amazing lacing from start to finish.

S: Herbal/medicinal flavors with roasted coffee up front in a big way,nutty coconut and sweet roasted malt that is very unique and pleasant. The coconut comes through with perfect execution.

T: Very similar to the nose, but even more roasted malt, big buttery flavor from the macadamia, finishing with a sweet cafe mocha flavor that rounds out the overall flavor perfectly. I am not a fan of porters but man this is something else!

M: Medium bodied, buttery and creamy, with a good carbonation that lends to the overall mouthfeel perfectly.

D: All night long - no problem!

11-27-2010 04:54:05 | More by DeanMoriarty
Betmore

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

*poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass at approx. 55 degrees*

This brew poured the absolute darkest shade of brown. I can't quite say black because I could see a touch of light creeping through it from the bottom of the glass. It formed a frothy, two-finger tan head that took about two minutes to diminish into a thin film of bubbles. There was fair to moderate lacing.

Upon my first whiff, my nose was met with alcohol and chocolate. Successive samples produced more alcohol, chocolatey malts, a hint of coffee, and possibly a bit of hops. This brew smells extremely rich and boozey. Honestly, I'm a little turned off by the level of alcohol in the aroma, however, I am now exceedingly curious as to whether that will carry over into to taste. Lets find out...

My first impression is one of dissapointment. While the alcohol is actually hidden pretty well behind a wall of malts, theres just not that much going on. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent to good porter but it isn't anything to get excited about. I'm getting an abundance of roasted malts, a suprising (not necessarily for Stone though) amount of hops, and a touch of bitter coffee. The macadamia and toasted coconut are, for all intents and purposes, absent. They're there, but only as the most subtle of notes.

Mouthfeel on this one is actually pretty good. The carbonation wakes up and lingers when I swirl this beer in my glass and sip it.

Drinkability is ok. Its pretty rich and the ABV is a tad on the high side. Then theres the factor that I usually don't apply... Cost. This 12 oz. bottle was $7.99. Thats just too much. Curiosity got the better of me this time but I definitley will not be buying this one again. Honestly, I don't think I would buy it again at $7.99/bomber. Its a good porter but, like I stated earlier, nothing to get excited about.

11-22-2010 02:55:34 | More by Betmore
brentk56

3.38/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: A huge tan head sits atop the fudge colored liquid and just wont give up the ghost and leaves plenty of lace behind

Smell: Coconut-influenced mocha with crusty brown bread

Taste: Brown bread and coffee up front, but the beer gets rather astringent by mid-palate and is puckeringly sour like acrid nut skins after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Perhaps it is the age on this one, but I am having trouble appreciating the flavors amidst the sourness

11-12-2010 02:24:57 | More by brentk56
drumrboy22

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip. Beer was dark brown, nearly black in color, with a one-finger, dark brown head. Moderate carbonation and light lacing around the glass.

Aroma was coffee beans, roasted malts, vanilla and faint coconut. Smells nice, but I'm not getting any macadamia nuts. Lots of coffee present.

Taste was bitter coffee, chocolate, roasted grains, malt, vanilla and nuts. Slightly hoppy finish.

Full flavored, drinkable and enjoyable. Nice dessert beer.

10-29-2010 02:10:32 | More by drumrboy22
billab914

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone RIS glass. It poured pretty close to pitch black in color and had a frothy and thick tan head filing the top inch of the glass. The head faded a bit but left some decent lacing on the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of coffee to it. The coconut comes through nicely too and adds a smooth sweetness to it. Just a bit of the nuttiness is there as well. Very nice and flavorful aroma overall.

The taste has a great mix of bitter and burnt coffee along with a sweeter, smooth, coconut flavor. A little bit of the macadamia, nutty flavor comes through as well. All the flavors come together very nicely and create some nice bold and deep flavors to it. Awesome tasting beer overall.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and carbonation is on the lower side. Drinkability is very good, I loved the flavors it had and how they all came together. It was such a flavorful but yet smooth beer as well. It seemed to have a big coffee, burnt, bitterness but at the same time was smooth and sweet. Fantastic beer overall, I loved it.

10-15-2010 01:24:15 | More by billab914
KickInTheChalice

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a chocolate brown, nearly black except for a ruby color in the corners of the glass. A thick sea foam tan head forms upon pouring, about 1 inch high. Good retention, and some lace clings to the glass.

Smell: Not much subtlety here - this appears to be a very straightforward presentation of the ingredients. Coffee, coconut, and macadamia are present in that order of strength. Roasted dark malts are obviously quite noticeable as well.

Taste: Oily coconut starts out on the taste buds, followed promptly by a strong, slightly acidic coffee flavor. The dark roasted malt help to contain the strong flavors of coffee, chocolate, coconut, and macadamia. The macadamia is present, although not as strong as the other flavors and wanders throughout the sip. It seems to contribute a bit to the nutty feel almost as much as the taste. The finish is not a hoppy bitterness, but more like the end of a sip of coffee. A little bit of booze sneaks through and warms the stomach.

Mouthfeel: The feel is mostly creamy, with enough bubbly carbonation to lift any oils off the tongue. The body is above average, but I wish it was a bit fuller, simply to contain the ABV a bit more.

Drinkability: Since I enjoy each of these flavors separately and they perform well together, I could see myself drinking this when (if they made more) it is available. The straight forward nature of this brew may mean it loses its unique appeal over time, but at least for this first glass, it was quite enjoyable.

10-13-2010 07:53:32 | More by KickInTheChalice
rtepiak

Poland

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

a porter without anything to hide... as in, it actually tastes like all the designated flavors. a bit of a weaker pour but i figured i'm getting an older bottle at this point. nose is chocolatey coffee malt with a hint of coconut and quite a bit of booze. about a finger of head with an aggressive pour into a tulip. brown black. palate is mild floral citrus that has a mild bloody earth quality. rather hoped like a black ipa that has aged. the coconut is the overpowering like cooking in coconut oil. its subtle and fuses with the malt well. the kona coffee is very mildly acidic and hints on the floral aged hop notes. nice and dry with a nuttiness at first that gives it a nutella feel but not the malty nutty volume i would really really enjoy. still a great treat. i wouldn't say a coffee lovers must though. more malty dessert than complex coffee notes.

10-03-2010 01:42:42 | More by rtepiak
davod23

3.38/5  rDev -18%

Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip. I've had this a number of times before, but this will be my first rating.

Appearance is great. Very black, viscous pour. A dark tan cap emerges, recedes to a collar of tiny bubbles around the top of the brew - this sticks around for a while.

Smell is nice, quite complex. Coconut comes in first, followed by dark roasted coffee, chocolate, sweet malt, a trace of nuttiness. Vanilla might be in there too, but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. This kinda smells like an Almond Joy bar.

And tastes just a little bit too much like suntan lotion for me. The coconut dominates this brew. I seem to remember this being better... anyway, coconut slams me from the beginning to the end of this beer, with the coffee there but helpless against the white flaky stuff. When the beer is warmed almost to room temperature, the coffee makes a stronger presence known. Quite sweet, with the bittering hops not balancing this out enough. Slightly warming from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Thick, viscous, without being chewy. Good carbonation, very full mouthfeel but full of life.

Drinkability is not really good. I labored to get through the bottle. If I split a 12oz bottle with a friend or two, that would be more than enough for me.

Interesting beer, if not very good. I think this is worth a try, but I can't really recommend it very highly. If you like coconut and robust porters, give it a whirl.

09-30-2010 17:16:51 | More by davod23
jsanford

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into my Unibroue tulip

A - Very dark with a creamy, 1-finger mocha colored-head.

S - High-quality coffee and dark roasted malts dominate with just a hint of nuttiness.

T - Pretty close to the nose, I'm not getting much coconut or macadamia nut flavor, but I can sense a subtle "nuttiness". tastes like a coffee porter, but still a very good one.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation. Quite smooth.

D - I wouldn't have guessed this was +8% ABV...very drinkable.

I wish I could have tried this fresh, I would have loved to taste more of the coconut and macadamia nut presence. As it is, it's a very good coffee porter, and I'm fine with that.

09-30-2010 03:51:13 | More by jsanford
Kadonny

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A dark brownish almost black color with a minimal light brown head and no sticky lacing.

S: Dark roasted smells with coffee, chocolate, nuts and carmel malt sweetness.

T: Coffee is huge up front with a large roasted malt flavor. I got some slight bittersweet chocolate flavors mixed with the large nutty character and some slight dark fruits. A deep sweetness of caramel and some toffee seep in to mix with the roasted flavors. Finish gives me this funky almost metallic sort of flavor but quickly dissipates. I didn't get any coconut.

M: A bit thin actually for everything that's going on with the beer. No alcohol noticed..

D: Medium. I guess you could have a few, but nothing really excites me to do so.

Overall a decent beer, but not an award winner like I was expecting. I enjoyed the Maui Coconut Porter much more as it had more coconut flavor. Maybe the nuttiness of the macadamias squash the coconut, I don't know. Anyway, glad I tried it.

09-29-2010 12:44:39 | More by Kadonny
number1bum

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to krisandajt for this bottle. You might be a giant loser, but you're a nice guy.

Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, with a dense and soft dark tan head that threatens to overfill the glass. Head remains full all the way to the bottom of the glass and it leaves some very nice webbing on the sides.

Smell has a bold, dark roasted coffee quality to it, and is quite roasty in general in fact. Has some caramel sweetness and a nuttiness to it as well. Try as I might I'm not getting any coconut, but it is a nice nose.

Taste is also quite roasty with a bigger caramel sweetness than the nose let on as well. This is 8.5% after all, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find the extra sweetness and body; it goes well. Coffee flavor is bold yet smooth, and there is a really nice nutty flavor here too. It's toasty, roasty and nutty. In the finish as it warms up I finally start getting some coconut. A subtle flavor but a nice addition once it's there. This is full of flavor and very smooth.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and very creamy. It's super smooth and has a good level of carbonation, keeping it soft on the palate but without getting clammy.

Even at a little less than fresh, where coffee flavor often fades, this is still really good. I can imagine the coffee being even bolder when fresh, but it's still excellent. I wish this were a regular offering, it'd be something I'd buy all the time. Thanks again Joe.

09-28-2010 01:06:29 | More by number1bum
alkchrios

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

I spent about 15 bucks on one 12 oz bottle in a little shop in Temecula California and I must say, although this beer was good.. I believe the 15 bucks only was able to be charged due to its rarity..not the production of the beer itself..although it was good...it wasnt that great. Poured a jet black color into a rocks glass giving way to a quarter inch caramel colored head. The aroma of this beer is very welcoming...a lot of coffee, chocolate. At 8.5 percent abv the alcohol is hardly present to the nose. I wanted to get more coconut and macadamia in the flavor as well of the nose but sadly was almost not there at all...to me it just came off as any imperial stout.. a ton of coffee and chocolate.. some burnt sugars and roasted malts were present along with a sweet finish but no nutty flavor like i wanted...i definitely suggest trying the beer however..not for 15 bucks a 12 oz.

09-02-2010 22:00:56 | More by alkchrios
foogerd

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

A- pours dark as night with a one inch coffee colored head
S- damn thats alot of coffee! tons of freshly ground coffee beans vanilla coconut flakes and some milk flavors as well.
T- the coffee comes up right away along with a nuttiness and vanilla coconut flavors i get some strange acidic notes at the end which disturbs the flavor for me i dont know where its coming from.
M- loved the feel perfectly portly
D- not exactly sessionable but really delicious
I must say the sourness did turn me off a bit but in a way it did meld with the other flavors its a kind of tartness from the coffee so if you know what i mean and this doesnt bother you go out and try for yourself at least once.

08-23-2010 23:51:42 | More by foogerd
StephenRich

Ontario (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Since September of 2008 the Stone Brewery has been brewing collaboration beers with the help of two additional brewers. Each edition is branded in the same way, but enjoys a wide range of styles, ingredients and breweries. Together Stone and some amazing brewers have created a Belgian Triple, a Holiday Ale, a Black Pilsner, and most recently a Saison with herbs.

In September 2009 though, Stone teamed with Maui Brewing and revered homebrewer Ken Schmidt to create a Kona Coffee, Macadamia nut, Coconut Porter. Wow, a lot going on in there. Kona Coffee is a gourmet brand of coffee beans grown in Hawaii, and plays a dominant role in this collaboration beer. I was excited too to see how Macadamia Nuts and Coconut would effect the overall flavor of a porter.

What I love most about this beer is just the idea. Three craft breweries all getting together to do what they love to do; brew amazing and exciting beer! Great idea guys!

This Collaboration Porter came in a 355ml bottle at 8.5% abv with gold branding displaying the three breweries and the three primary flavoring ingredients. Unfortunately these collaborations are all just a single run production, so get them when you see them.

I opened this bottle cool around 8C (45F) as I normally would with a rich porter. The pour was pretty usual; not to lively but not very creamy either. It built with a gentle rumbling showing signs of carbonation lifting a short half inch airy light brown mocha colored head. The beer was near pitch black with hints of brown brick and heavy red ambers or garnet gleaming through when held into the light. It did not appear to be very dense or rich though, just very dark, and by now, with only a lacing of head remaining.

The nose though showed much richness. Initially deep roasted coffee poured out to me in a remarkably fresh and clean manner. Light espresso beans with notes of sweetness and dry earth were evident everywhere in the nose, but also a smooth backbone of nutty and creamy malt shines through. Hints of dry dark chocolate and roasted coconut are hidden in the back, but warm up to you as the beer does.

This beer really felt nice is my snifter, but I was ready to empty it. Similar to the nose, the first things that comes in is smooth dry roasted coffee pouring lightly over your tongue and filing your cheeks. It was more delicate than most coffee flavors in beer; it sort of washed over you without settling deep into your taste buds. It was refreshing actually, and superbly clean.

Dark chocolate and roasted malts come in soon after to add some depth and body and also smooth rich flavors. In the back hides the soft aromatic flavors of toasted coconut and smooth nuts. It is very subtle and delicate, and is very close to being completely washed out by the roast of the coffee. If it weren't for the coffee's supremely clean and fresh nature you would not taste anything else.

Light wisps of smoke make their way in the back, as does light caramel and a crisp hop bitterness. The overall body was light and tender; not the smooth and rich creamy porter that I had expected. Relatively significant carbonation kept this beer light on its feet, but I think I would have benefited from smoother and softer touches adding to the richness of these flavors.

Overall is was a pleasure to drink and an exciting experience to taste these three flavors in conjunction with each other. I do think however that coconut and macadamia nuts may shine better on their own without the dominating presence of coffee. But if you enjoy coffee, this beer will treat you right!

08-22-2010 18:40:12 | More by StephenRich
Schmaltzy

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Pours a dark muddy brown with less than 1 finger head that leaves little lacing behind.

S- Definate coffee, reminds me of the Chocolate Macadamia Nut BadAss Company coffee I used to have on Kona when visiting, slight vanilla/coconut scents and a light dark chocolate.

T- Almost exactly as it smells but a little thinner than I had hoped.

M- Medium body with light carbonation and hidden alcohol were nice, just wanted a little more body with this one.

D- Good drinkability, however, it is hard to get this beer and when you do its $7-8 for a 12 oz beer which brings this drinkability down.

08-09-2010 01:28:35 | More by Schmaltzy
neorunner

Found this bottle in the cellar. Pours a deep black with dark brown hues around the borders. Head is medium tan in color with fairly large carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is of chocolate, bitter malt, and some alcohol. Flavor is all about the coffee with a strong underlying cherry/kreik taste. I think the kreik is coming from the acidity of the beer and it having possibly soured a bit. The off flavor is great, but a bit overpowering to allow for any other subtleties to come through in the beer.

08-08-2010 21:52:30 | More by neorunner
OStrungT

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer pours a very dark brown color, with a thin tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving almost no lace.

This beer has a rich coffee aroma. I can detect the coconut as well. A slight chocolate aroma is also present. The aroma is very well balanced.

This beer tastes much like it smells. The chocolate is more pronounced in the flavor. It still has a nice coffee flavor, with a light coconut flavor.

The alcohol content in this beer is well hidden in both the aroma and the flavor. It goes down smooth, leaving a mild sweet coconut aftertaste. Low carbonation suits the style well.

This beer would make a good session beer, but the ABV is a little high. It tastes great though.

Overall: This is a great beer by a lot of great brewers. I would stock up on this if I could.

07-21-2010 03:41:16 | More by OStrungT
TMoney2591

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to GoGriz for this guy!

Though not new (save for me), the concept of a coconut porter intrigues me, though not without some trepidation. Here we go... It pours an opaque used charcoal with around a finger of khaki head. The nose comprises coffe, milk chocolate, coconut, walnuts, dark wheat, and cashews. Beyond the warning provided by the name, this melange is quite unexpected. Not what you'd think would come from a beer bottle, baby. The taste starts with a straight porter base, then adds some milky coconut and vanilla action, and throws in a bushel of nuts (I have never had a macadamia nut before, so I'm not sure if that's what I'm tasting...but there's definintely some nuts, baby). It all blends nicely in the finish, creating a truly unique flavor. The body is a strong medium, with moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, a nice change of pace, but not something that I'll be turning to all that often. A strong collaboration, indeed.

07-02-2010 04:30:37 | More by TMoney2591
stakem

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a dark brown color that appears fairly clear with deep ruby red hues when held up to the light. The head appears with more than a finger of creamy tan head that retains very well and sticks all along the glassware. Nose is fresh roasted coffee upfront with an underlying hint of dark malty grain that comes across a bit sweet and with notes of chocolate and a bit of some earthy/nutty character. Some sourness is mingled in with the dark fruity maltiness of the nose. Taste includes all of the aforementioned characteristics that were present in the nose. Upfront there is the bitter coffee character intertwinded with the flavor of dark chocolate. Along with those flavors is a bit of an acidic note maybe influenced by the coffee but it has a slight sour twang to it before the rest of the flavors of this brew come into play. All through the medium to full body of this brew are notes of dark grain suggesting a bit of a roasty nut-like flavor along with dark chocolate and coffee. Long flavorful finish includes the coffee and dark roasty malt. Medium to light level of carbonation with this brew. As this brew warms, the alcohol really starts to come out and the coffee character is still noticeable yet the sourness starts to become overwhelming. The nose starts to smell very vegetative almost like cabbage and the taste is quite acidic to the point where it just isn't very enjoyable like it was straight out the gate and a little too cold.

I am having a hard time feeling this one out to review appropriately. If I reviewed it based on my initial (too cold serving temperature) it would be an "A." However, after letting it warm up to proper temperature it is not enjoyable at all and would be a C-D rating for me. I guess I will average it out with the flavor and aroma as that is only the fair thing to do.

06-28-2010 02:09:26 | More by stakem
bonkers

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

I split this with a cousin, poured a 12 ounce glass into a tumbler. It pours jet black, with a thin little white head. Pure java on the nose. The taste is dominated by lots of strong coffee, it finished with more coffee. Medium in body, decent carbonation, and easy drinking. This would have scored higher if there was a hint of coconut in taste, this was a brew that was completely dominated by coffee. IMO don't put an ingredient in the name if you can't taste it.

06-26-2010 23:48:39 | More by bonkers
MrDanno96

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours a deep brown color that has some suggestions of red when held to the light. A thin off-white head tops the brew; minimal lacing.

S: A Strong aroma of rich, sweet chocolate and some astringency from the coffee beans - a robust dark roast. A little nuttiness mingles with the chocolate, but alas, no real coconut aroma.

T: A strong dark coffee flavor dominates the flavor and mixes with a nice dose of mocha and perhaps a touch of smoke. A nice bittersweet finishes completes the experience. Still, the coconut is sadly absent.

M: Medium bodied and fairly smooth for the abv. A little astringent in the finish.

D: A cool experience no doubt - definitely a brew I'm glad I stumbled upon. It's a decent porter, but nothing really too special. I really wish the coconut actually came through in the flavor. The coffee really dominated this one.

06-26-2010 06:30:12 | More by MrDanno96
seh410

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Wondering if I poured too soft.... The head was almost non-existent, and from past pours I know this shouldn't be... Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if I stored it at too low a temp and then let it warm up while in the bottle before pouring it?

Aroma: Coffee and Chocolate aromas are both really strong and rich with some definite fruitiness in the background. The coconut and macadamia make themselves known as the beer warms up. It smells like it should taste delicious

Taste/Mouthfeel: There is definitely a lot of flavor here. The nuttiness of the macadamia is very forward, whereas I am only getting the coconut at the very end. The chocolate flavor tastes and feels so creamy - great feel in the mouth, medium bodied with just a tiny bit of carbonation. I taste coffee liquor at the end - sort of the coffee revealing itself within the alcohol bite. The flavor gets much richer as it warms up a bit.

Drinkability: I could sip this all night. Not drink per say, but sip and sip happily.

06-13-2010 21:10:10 | More by seh410
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

I sometimes find beers this flat and opaque to be a little drab - unfortunately, this is one of those times. To be fair though, the beer does deserve some credit as it happens to be of a shade of black that honestly must trump all other shades of black; the chances of light getting past this thing are as good as me ever owning the Dallas Cowboys.

Upon hearing of this combination of flavours I figured the macadamia and coconut might be overrun by the coffee; indeed, the first few sniffs support that inclination. It is smokey, it is bitter, it is - in no uncertain terms - very coffee-esque. Fortunately, there is at least a sparing amount of baker's chocolate that goes with it.

With a name that boasts coffee, macadamia nut and coconut in it, I think it's only fair to expect something a little extra tasty. That this is flavourful is never, even for an instance, in doubt. However, that it is sensually titillating or heavenly delicious is likely dependent on its taster. For my palate, this is too full of roast and grain to be considered decadent.

In other words, I think this beer sounds more delicious than it actually is. You'd assume for every added ingredient there'd be an added flavour or texture, but this is disappointingly one-dimensional; the coconut and macadamia are but flies that surround the smokey, bitter coffee roast that is the elephant. I just wish I could be tasting more of them.

This beer is otherwise a very serviceable porter. It is uniquely rich and, although it may not make a full dessert in and of itself, I can only imagine what a sinfully indulgent treat it would be if only I had some worthy sweets or fresh berries to pair with it. Warming has proved to unchain both of the nutty flavours, but it's too little too late (and still too acrid).

The more variety and the greater diversity in the market, the greater incentive there is to be different. For a time, that was easy for Stone to do. Since then, however, they've helped spawn a new generation of talented, creative brewers that have exemplified and realized their vision of a world with bold, arrogant, distinguished beers.

And so perhaps a Coffee/Macadamia/Coconut beer was the only way left to be different, but is the point of being creative just to be creative? Rightly or wrongly, I expected more from this beer. I'll admit: had it of excluded the full ingredients list from its name I likely would have scored it higher... but I'd still of enjoyed it just the same.

06-13-2010 05:59:19 | More by biegaman
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.