Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

In my hands at long last!
Poured into my Stone pint glass
Deep and dark with a big two-inch tan colored head of inviting foam
Aroma-Roasted coffee, toasted malt
Taste-Creamy and smooth, nutty, subtle toasted coconut, coffee-with-cream flavor throughout-dry, warming finish.
Overall,complex and dynamic-very smooth and creamy-Take your time and enjoy this beer. A hula dance of flavor on your tongue!

hosehead83, Oct 26, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

I was thrilled to be able to track this one down. Needless to say I needed to get a hold of one as it was made to be had by me for sure. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this gem was enjoyed on 10/22/2009.

The pour was fabulous. Rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that just leapt over the top of the glass. Seriously impressed here I have to say right from the start. Thick lacing just dripping down the sides of the glass with each moment getting further and further down the rabbit hole so to speak. Enormous aroma of rich roasted coffee, hints of nuts and vanilla just dripping off of it as well, so ridiculously sweet and delicious, I was in heaven here to say the least. Warming brought out more vanilla and hints of wonderful touches of brown sugar and thick coffee notes. The I took a sip, suck a luscious full bodied feel, it was amazing at just how nice this one came together. Rich notes of sweet brewed coffee and mingled in seamlessly with touches of wonderful nuts and vanilla. Hints of like woody notes as well as brown sugar just rippled all over this one. So sweet it was just a pleasure to be able to try it. No hint of the ABV at all, in fact, it was beyond well hidden,

Overall this was one of the best coffee beers I have ever run across. Just solid from top to bottom and not a thing I could say to complain about it at all. No wonder people have been raving about this one, it really is just that good. Got to go out and find another few.

mikesgroove, Oct 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

consumed 10/20/09

A: This beer pours a a deep dark, almost black color, light only permeates the edges of this one. A nice two finger of thick creamy tan head to it. Nice head retention that leaves thick sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is overflowing with strong coffee/espresso, roasted/burnt malts, and a touch of nuttiness.

T: Taste is STRONG, I mean extremely strong coffee and burnt malt flavoring up front. Fortunately I love coffee, so this was a good thing. Middle has hints of chocolate and roasted malt, finish is nutty. Hints throughout the pint indicate some coconut and vanilla, but not a lot.

M: Medium to fuller bodied, mild carbonation, thick creamy with a somehwat slick feel.

D: I enjoyed this beer thoroughly. Nice thick rich coffee flavoring, could use a touch more balanced coconut. If the price on this came down, I would certainly have more.

Jayli, Oct 23, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Wow just a beautiful pour of very dark brown with a thick foamy espresso head that leave excellent lacing.

S: Rich roasted coffee smell and a mild hint of coconut.

T: Chocolate coffee and coconut notes all permiate through the beer. Very roasty with more of a macadamia flavor than i expected.

M: Slightly acrid which is a bit off putting. It really is not as creamy as I would have liked but there is a good amount of body.

D: A good drinking porter, and it definitely is a porter.

mikey711, Oct 23, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Incredibly lucky to finally find one of these!

Poured into a nonic pint.

Smooth pour reveals a dark mahogany/black color with a large, pillowy tan head arising from the liquid that quickly fades. Decent amount of soapy lacing as you sip and swirl the glass. Just as advertised on bottle, the Kona coffee and Macadamian nuts are easily identifiable on the nose. Roasted Kona coffee is the one big aroma even as you initially open the bottle - it just creeps out into the room. But once you actively stick your nose into the glass, the toasted nuttiness from the Macadamian nuts comes into play. The coconut was the one scent not as quite defined, but with a couple deep inhales the toasted coconut becomes discerned. Among this nice trifecta, hints of some sweet chocolate and malt are also found. Overall, this is reminding me of a piece of Almond Joy candy. Pure elation.

Wow, wow and hello. Taste is incredibly rich and robust with the coffee being the first flavor hitting the tongue and subsequently the sweet coconut following up. Roasted qualities dominate the taste - it's incredible. Not so much of a nuttiness in flavor as was in the aroma, but that's not a problem. The Kona coffee, sweet coconut and roasted malt make up for its absence. But as it warms up a bit, the Macadamian flavors, as well as some vanilla and caramel, start to appear and intermingle with everything else. Subtle hints of chocolate become detectable in the final finish and lands on a slight burnt coffee bitterness with a soft lingering effect. The 8.5% ABV is very much noticeable in the end too. Incredibly well-crafted and complex.

Mouthfeel is substantially smooth and savory with the beer lining the cheeks and tongue very well. Just enough carbonation to make it tingly, but not enter light-bodied territory. I find this to be *way* better than the Smoked Porter, which I thought was way too thin and unappealing. This collaboration renewed my faith in porters for sure. There's actually a genuine chewiness to this, which I love. If I had a few more bottles of these in my fridge, I would definitely have more than one. Drinkability is wonderfully high - flavor and scent are up to par. You wouldn't notice how fast it's drinking.

This is a beautifully crafted porter and excellent collaborative brew by Stone, Maui and Ken Schmidt. I truly think that this porter would be a great pairing with a piece of Almond Joy candy; they're so similar, I could only imagine the flavor explosion. The only qualm I have is due to its price per bottle, $6.99 per 12 oz. If it weren't so expensive, this would definitely be a common sight in my fridge. But nonetheless, this is definitely worth the buy. Really surpassed my expectations.

infi, Oct 23, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer poured pitch black and formed a large foamy dark tan head that left latticed lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt, cocoa, coffee and vanilla. The body was of malt, coffee, chocolate and a hint of anise. The body was medium light and the finish was bittersweet.

Wildman, Oct 23, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours near black with tints of dark brown and a foamy tan head. Nice lacing and retention.

Nose has espresso, coconut, cocoa, roasted malts, vanilla and molasses.

Taste has freshly roasted coffee up front followed by chocolate, dark malts, vanilla and coconut.

Creamy body is delicately carbonated. A bit thin in the finish. Drinks quite well.

rye726, Oct 23, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Great to see that this one arrived in Mass. This will be my first time trying anything from Maui, so this is a treat. Pours a black color, with a quickly fading tan heading. Musty nose of coffee that is not quite as in your face as I would have expected. The nuts also make their way in to the smell in a minor way. It tastes exactly as it is marketed....coffee, macadamia nut and coconut. None of the tastes are too over the top. The Coffee dominates, which is cool, but I would love to have seen the coconut come out a bit more. Mouthfeel is between medium and heavy. Alcohol is hidden well, and drinking this one is easy. Let this beer warm up for sure, as more comes through that way. Not my favorite from the collaborative series, but still damn good and worth a purchase.

jamie2dope, Oct 23, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Shared this one at La Bella this past Tuesday night. I've had this one before but wasn't able to review it.

Ok, the first time I had this beer it had a mountain of a head. Half of the glass was filled with foam and I had to wait for it to settle down so I could pour the rest of it. Now, that was pretty impressive considering the ingredients used (coconut and macadamias) which have a high amount of natural fats/oils which can prevent a decent head formation/retention. However, this second time the head was very minimal and didn't retain as well as the first time, strange.

When first poured the beer presents it's robust earthy and chocolaty coffee profile, and it does overpower the other components at cellar temp. As the beer warms up I can start to pick up a toasted coconut aroma and even some creamy coconut milk, as well as more light chocolate and nuts. A bit of an earthy woodiness is also present. Later on I can smell some vanilla and lactose. More chocolate as it warms up. I can't really say the coconut and macadamias have a big presence (especially not the nut) as the coffee is still very present, but specifically the coconut brings in an interesting profile and combination to the beer. Loved the aroma.

The taste was very similar to the aroma with the coffee very present, toasted and milky coconut, nutty flavors (whether it's imparted by the actual macadamias or just some specialty malts), roasted malts, and caramel. The creamy coconut flavors do intensify a bit once the beer warms up. The coffee doesn't hold back but I don't mind since I love coffee, just wished there was a little more balance with the coconut.

Moderate to high carbonation but smooth and very easy to drink. I could easily have this for breakfast. Easily my favorite Stone Collaboration beer yet. Would be interested to see how this one tastes in a few months after the coffee tones down. Giggity!

seaoflament, Oct 22, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an opaque deep brown that borders on black, just barely letting light through at the edges. A nice creamy, tan head. Very good retention and some decent lacing.

S - Big on the roasted coffee beans and malt on the nose. There are also some earthy, chocolately aromas. Just a hint of coconut hiding in the background.

T - Rich, roasted coffee flavor up front, leading into some bittersweet chocolate and coconut flavors, as well as a hint of smokiness. There is also an earthy, slightly nutty quality that comes through, most likely the macadamia, although I can't really put my finger on it. Finishes fairly dry and leaves some nice coffee flavors in the aftertaste. Despite the fairly strong coffee flavors present in this one, it manages to maintain a nice complexity and balance. Tasty stuff.

M - Bordering on full bodied, with a fine carbonation that makes this one pretty smooth. Dryness in the finish helps keep it in balance.

D - I really enjoyed this brew quite a bit. I was slightly worried about the coconut addition, as I'm not usually a huge fan, but it ended up adding a nice, subtle touch to the brew without overpowering or being too sweet. Maintains a nice balance of sweetness and the dry, bittersweet coffee and chocolate flavors. The only down fall is that it perhaps a bit pricey, but I am glad I picked up a couple of bottles.

GarrisWH, Oct 22, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Purchased at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan.

A_Pours a dark black with a foamy brown head. Settles into a nice cap. Minimal lacing.

S_A big aroma hits as soon the bottle is opened. Huge roasted malts and dark espresso notes dominate with a distinct macadamia nut aroma hitting in the background. Great nose.

T_Big coffee again up front mellowing out into a nice roasted finish. The aftertaste reveals a certain nuttiness that is not as distinctly macadamia as the aroma. There is a bit too much acidity overall which detracts somewhat. Not getting much if any coconut.

M_Nicely velvety in feel with a moderate soft carbonation. A bit thicker than an average porter but it works with the tastes and ingerdients.

D_A good beer no doubt but with some flaws. The acrid heat might melow out with some time but it detracts a bit too much here. Still I am enjoying the interplay between the coffee and the and the nuts. I wish there was more coconut as well.

sleazo, Oct 21, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle courtesy of nickd717. Thanks a ton Nick for this sweet extra!

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. Light can only be seen through at the very edges. I didn't get a lot of head on the admittedly cautious pour, but what head I did get had great staying power. Leaves some spots of lacing here and there.

The aroma is shocking. I wasn't expecting such a roasty smokey aroma considering the ingredients. Coffee, Coconut and Macadamia don't really bring smokey aromas to mind, but I swear this smells like a weak smoked porter. I also get roasted coffee, and a sweet malt backbone. Also a bit of chocolate.

Wow, this tastes amazing. The roasted character comes out again in the taste, but toasted coconut and roasted coffee really shine through. There is also a flavour I really can't describe, but it must be macadamia. It's mellow and blends very nicely with the rest of the flavours. This is fantastic...

Medium in body, this is a very smooth yet dry brew. There is a lingering bitter chocolate aftertaste that begs you to take another sip. Very creamy. The smokey character really makes it it's own.

Drinkability is good. If the ABV wasn't so high this would be an ideal session beer. So much taste packed into this 12 oz bottle. I really wish I had another of these!

Overall, a very solid offering from Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt. This beer being partly Stone's I was expecting something more bitter, but I got a nice roasty smooth beer with an excellent blend of flavours. Just a great brew. Thanks a bunch Nick for the chance!

Mistofminn, Oct 19, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Sampled at GABF, then a bottle from K&L Redwood City.

A - Pours darkest brown, just about black, with a large, thick tan head.

S - Aroma is awesome, really roasty with coffee, chocolate, nuts, and coconut.

T - Flavor is similarly amazing, with dry roasted malt, fresh Kona coffee, a nice not overdone coconut flavor, macadamia nuts, and bitter dark chocolate.

M - Palate is dry yet smooth with medium-body and a lasting coffee bitterness. Just a tad grainy.

D - Pretty high. Wow, this is a really great beer.

nickd717, Oct 19, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to a New Belgium tulip.

Appearance - Dark black, no light making it through this one. Dark tan head that managed to hold on to the edges for most of the time.

Smell - Coffee is coming in strong upfront and also picked up some of the roasted coconut.

Taste - Slight sweetness coming through first with the roast coffee and coconut coming in behind it. Not picking up the macadamia at all really. Burnt/bitter feeling as it goes down.

Mouthfeel - Not as heavy as its appearance eludes to. Decent carbonation that does seems to represent the style well.

Drinkability - Good. I feel I could put a few of these back, but enjoyed taking my time with this one to see how the flavors develolped. Alcohol is not present at all.

Had been searching for this one for a couple weeks and was excited to pick up a couple from the local beer store this week. I thoroughly enjoy coffee beers and this is up there for me and compares well to some of the coffee stouts I've enjoyed in the past. As some previous reviewers have mentioned, I was hoping for more macadamia but nonetheless, another very solid collaboration brew courtesy of Stone, Maui and one talented homebrewer.

saulcharlesworth, Oct 19, 2009

12 oz. into a pint glass

P: Pitch black with a toasted tan-colored head of thick, creamy, dense foam that showed only average retention. Before long, I was left with nothing but a thin halo of bubbles on top and some skimpy strings of lace.

A: Bold and delicious Kona coffee is right upfront, followed up by roasted malts, sweet toasted coconut, a little chocolate, some earth, and a nutty smell that I never would have guessed to be Macadamia nuts if it hadn't been labeled as such. What's there is pretty good, but it doesn't bowl you over with its strength like I was expecting it to.

T: Roasted barley teams up with the freshly-roasted Kona coffee and nuts to build an initial flavor profile that feels deep and gives you enough to explore for awhile. Then, bittersweet chocolate enters the fold along with toasted coconut right before it turns more bitter than I was expecting on the back end from the bittering hops that impart some earthy flavors to balance things out quite nicely. None of the flavors overstep their boundaries here, as this is not a coffee-bomb or the overly sweet coconut-dominant brew I feared it would be.

M: The mouthfeel weighs in just under full-bodied for the style with a really rich, almost oily texture that offers some creaminess underneath, and a little chewiness that forces the flavors to grab hold of the tongue and never let go.

Notes: The first thing that struck me about this beer was the fact that it wasn't nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. The bittering level is much higher than expected in order to balance out the sweet-natured ingredients used to brew this baby. If it were cheaper, I'd stock up and drink it regularly over the next few months. But at $6.99 a pop, I'm glad I got two bottles so I could at least try this on two separate occasions to make sure it's as good as I remembered it the first time. Affirmative, this is a good beer! Recommended

sweetbrew82, Oct 18, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

It took me weeks to find this beer! It was well worth the wait!

Poured into a snifter.

Poured very dark, near black, with a thin strip of kaki head, not thick, but it did retain nicely.

Aroma was toasty, roasted coffee, very very slight hint of coconut.

The first sip I was a little dissappointed, then I realized it was very cold, so I let it warm up. As I did, the beer just kept getting better and better! Very little of the coconut, or macadamia nut is present in the taste at first. Its dominated by a sort of chocolate covered espresso bean flavor. Very rich, toasty taste! It finishes with the coconut and macadamia nut returning, leaving your mouth sort feeling like you just enjoyed a chocolate covered, coconut macadamia nut.

Rich, sort of thick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very present.

Very drinkable, I might have to go get a few more! LOVED IT!

buffettfan, Oct 17, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Not my favorite style, but couldn't pass it up on the shelves.

Appearance - Black. No light passes through when held up to the lamp. Two inches of tan, mocha head dissipate pretty quickly. Nice looking bev.

Smell - Lots of roast coffee. A little burnt, as well. Some toasted marshmallow. Deep fruit, maybe raisins and plum? The coffee is very strong.

Taste - Coffee is not as strong up front. A little sweetness, possibly the macadamia. Definitely a hint of coconut, but only a hint. Very smooth. Lots of roast. The finish, however, is definitely full rich coffee. The burn lingers.

Mouthfeel - Nice and light. Almost too light.

Drinkability - The roast/burnt finish makes it a little tough. It's nice, but one is enough.

Not a huge coffee guy, so this was never going to be a home run for me. The lady friend liked it better. That said, I wish the coconut and macadamia showed up a bit more. I was a little disappointed by how much the coffee dominated. If you like coffee, this will do it for ya.

callmescraps, Oct 17, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. bottle with notes from Garrett W. Marrero of Maui. Poured into Portsmouth snifter.

Solid ultra-roasted chocolate-espresso quality. Head is a mix of ginger, brown sugar and light cocoa.

Excellent scent of mellow Kona coffee, with interplay of macadamias. Toasted coconut is more in the background with grassy hops. Solid synergy.

I wish this were brewed as a stout. Coconut and roasted macadamias scream to be in a fuller-bodied beer. Nevertheless, it works well as a lighter porter. There is that annoying metallic clammy taste of a porter, but the flavors work very well in spite of this.

Again, tinny, clammy palate feel of typical porter has its mitts into this one. I wish I could describe it another way, but that's about it. It is what it is. Fortunately the roasted nuts elicit mild tannins to counteract that messiness, along with grassy hops. Finish has a dark-roasted bite.

Drinks well; drinks quite well. I may not be gushing over this, but it's wicked solid.

IBUnit63, Oct 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours with a generous, over one finger of rich creamier, medium tan head; dense mahogany brown verging on black color; nice curtain-like lacing and solid head retention

S - Dark, roasted coffee aromas; light sweet lactose; savory nutty aromas; nice stuff

T - Huge coffee flavors up front, very dark roastedness; nutty flavors quick to follow the coffee; makes for a very savory first couple of sips; didn't pick up on the sweetness that was in the aroma; very dry finish. Really great stuff, nice layers of complexity

M - On the heavier end of medium; pretty bubbly carbonation; just a touch viscous

D - Nice sipping brew, and the alcohol doesn't rear its head too much, which makes this a 'dangerous' drinker. Nice, full, robust, and satisfying.

Overall, an outstanding brew and take on the style. Worth the price point!

Nickls, Oct 16, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

12 ouncer, $6.99 at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY (blown away by the price, till I saw it was pretty much in line with what other places are charging, even in Ca.) anyway this one pours the expected near black, with a medium sized dark mocha head, and leaving spotty lace. The nose is richly of dark coffee and bitter dark chocolate. Flavorful sipper with deep and rich notes of more dark chocolate, expresso, brandy soaked oranges, getting some coconut and nuttyness, especially as it warms. Complex and simply yummy. Rich and thick over the tongue. Over the top sipper, night capper supreme. A must try, h/e kind of expensive for multiple revisits.

Billolick, Oct 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a nice dark black hue with a small mocha head. Lite retention with spotty lace.

S: Aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate mostly.

T: Dark roasted malt, bitter chocolate with notes of fudge. The middle is dominated by bold coffee. A touch of coconut comes through in the finish.

M: Medium in body, good carbonation.

D: Good. Pretty good beer I was expecting a bit more to be honest. Could use a bigger blast of coconut to really push it overthetop.

tpd975, Oct 14, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +16%

Bottle purchased at K&L Wines in Redwood City, CA. Served in 12 oz wine glass at 57 degrees.

My first review, but I figured this beer was a great place to start.

Tied with FWXII for my favorite beer of 2009. Spoke with the STone guys at the SF Holiday Beer fest. I didn't realize Ken Schmidt was "just" a home brewer - great work sir! Also, they said only 30 cases were made, so thanks to the guys from K&L for giving me the second to last bottle!

A - No lacing, pours dark brown almost black, slight foam dissipates quickly
S - Caramel, coffee, little bit of nuttiness and chocolate and a hint of bourbon. Coconut appears and stronger coffee aroma as it warms up.
T - So good. Starts with chocolate sweetness and some coconut and expands with heavy roasted malts, nuts and coffee taking over. Flavors blend together perfectly. Sweetness from the coconut at the end. Lingering aftertaste I don't want to go away
M - Smooth, almost oily but not heavy, the mild carbonation complements nicely
D - Little bit of lingering alcohol complements the coconut aftertaste. I could knock back a few. Already bummed about not having a second one

Reminiscent of the Maui Porter but not nearly as complex. Less nuttiness or heavy roasted malts, but until I can track down another bottle, the Porter will have to do

Pfeifer, Oct 14, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked a bottle at Bowery WF.

A- Pours a pitch black that reveals a mahogany garnet sliver at the top when held up to the light. A generous sandy head that quickly fades to a mere wisp. No lacing noted, a couple of bubbles popping at the top, but I can't see any streamers in that darkness.

S- Rich vanilla beans, bitter chocolate and milk chocolate, coffee, woody and nutty notes. I am not sure but I think that the vanilla notes may actually be the coconut- either way it smells great.

T- Similar to the nose I get the rich vanilla, milk chocolate, bourbon, coffee, nuttiness. At the end I get the coconut that lingers. I really enjoy all these flavors that seem to work so well together.

M- This is probably my favorite part- so rich & creamy without being heavy. Light carb that works well. A slight lingering coating on the tongue that I enjoy, and a bit of an alcohol burn.

D- I wish I could find/afford a 12er of this stuff. I woulnd't put down more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but would love to have some of this on hand to drink whenever. I think this is good to drink now. As always though, I wonder what it would do with some time- I feel that it might lose some of the rich flavors that meld together so well.

m1ked, Oct 12, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of paulxqx poured into a tulip.

Pours dark brown out of the bottle and sits almost completely black in the glass with no light showing through. There's a big off-white head that hangs around as a cap and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma has lots of dark roasted malts and burnt espresso. There is definitely more than a hint of coconut in the nose as well.

The taste is really nice, very complex. It's got the initial sweetness of the coconut and dark chocolate before the dark roasted malts take over. The coffee in the taste is much more well-integrated with the other flavors and doesn't take on the burnt character that I got in the nose.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth with good carbonation and full-bodied. Dessert-like overall mouthfeel.

I love this beer and I might put it a slight notch above the Maui Coconut - one of the better beers I've tasted recently.

gford217, Oct 11, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

a - pours very black with a two finger head that disappears pretty quickly

s - smells heavily of coffee, as if youre sticking your nose directly in the pot

t - tastes like coffee too, surprise! a little nutty too maybe. kinda tangy.

m - not too thick, not too thin. just right.

d - i want more and im not even done with one bottle.

turboedtwo, Oct 10, 2009
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.