Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

Ratings: 324 | Reviews: 233
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A midweek beer to celebrate the vanquishing of a foe that was my bane for some time. Consumed on 9/24/2009 and poured into my Russian River tulip. All Shall Fall couldn't have come at a better time. The beer pours black into my glass with a creamy one inch light brown head. The head exhibits nice retention, eventually retreating into a small lingering froth above the ebony elixir. Scattered lacing clings to the glass.

I was somewhat wary of this beer when I saw that the first word of the title is a brand of coffee. I'm happy to report that at 58 degrees Fahrenheit, coffee is very well integrated in the nose. The coffee doesn't smell overly roasted and acrid, like so many other coffee porters/stouts. It's reminiscent of a light black coffee. I find the coconut to be blatant in the aroma. I've never before experienced toasted coconut, but I imagine it would be similar to the coconut I smell here. There is a faint nuttiness in here, though I can't swear that it's macadamia (although it might be). There's a pleasantly low level of roast, low sweetness, and no apparent alcohol. This smells great.

The flavor opens up with bittersweet and robust coffee. The coffee character is pretty strong and somewhat surprising considering its balance in the aroma. It's overshadowing until midpalate when it begrudgingly defers to toasted coconut, rich dark chocolate, and a faint nuttiness. The finish is extremely long, recapitulating each flavor I experienced. My palate is left with lingering coffee and coconut.

Though the coffee was strong in the flavor, I think it's important to emphasize that it never attained the irritable and all too common level of overly roasted and acrid that I find prevalent in coffee beer. It was initially powerful but it did yield to other flavors in a timely fashion.

The beer is full bodied with low medium carbonation and a near perfect creamy mouthfeel. This is reminiscent of Maui Coconut Porter, but better. Well done, Ken Schmidt. This was a good idea, a nice refreshing glass of crisp beer on a day like this. Just the job!

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy/fizzy light brown head with average retention for a coffee beer and a small ring of lacing.

4.5 S: Roasted coffee is plentiful, but coconut is right behind. Coconut and coffee work so well together and I'd love to see more breweries using them in tandem. Anyway, the underlying porter falls somewhat victim to the stronger C&C aromas (which I'm okay with), but there is still a grainy roastiness to be picked up. This is one great smelling beer.

4.5 T: The taste is in a word: powerful. The coconut flavor comes in full force, pushing aside even the coffee. Coffee is still strong, however, and makes for a tasty collaboration with coconut. Also, there's a lactose-like sweet & sourness present. I don't know if there's any lactose in here, but it sure tastes like it. Malts are somewhat nutty, somewhat grainy, with plenty of roasty toastiness.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit aggresive, but not too much so. Could be a bit creamier, but overall okay.

4.5 D: This is a great beer for what who like coconut and coffee. For those who don't, shame on you. Definitely something I wouldn't mind having again and again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Stone tasting glass. Bottle generously provided as an extra by normyk, thanks Rob!

A - Pours a darkish brown, like the color of bark. It has some deep cherry highlights to it, giving it a slight appearance of cola. A 1-finger, tan head builds on top, with moderate retention. Lacing is thin, and where the beer was poured to a nice foamy ring forms, but as the glass empties, additional lacing is rare.

S - At first, this beer was just full of freshly roasted coffee, to the point of being the sole focus of the nose. Along with this, a good amount of chocolate was apparent as well. However, as the beer warms, a lot of the intricacies and additional ingredients reveal themselves. I poured this into a Stone glass that didn't hold an entire bottle, and by the time my first glass was nearing empty, I could easily pick out the macadamia and toasted coconut. It was exhilarating and exciting as sometimes it's hard to pick out the obscure flavors in some beers, but there's no doubt about it with this beer. It had boatloads more coconut aroma than Maui's own CoCoNut Porter.

T - As in the nose, the taste goes through a noticeable transformation as this beer warms up. Similar to the nose, the coffee is at the forefront of the flavors when first drinking, followed by the roasted malts, chocolate, and a slight fudge. As the beer drinks, the toasted coconut comes in after the coffee and melds perfectly with the chocolate, giving it a flavor profile highly reminiscent of a Mounds bar. It's just fantastic how it captures the flavors... The macadamia is a bit harder to discern here than in the nose due to the boldness of the coconut, but I'm getting a slight saltiness that I could attribute to the nuts I suppose. Finish is moderately long filled with the coconut and chocolate combination. Alcohol is barely here as well, great job guys!

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels good in the mouth with a distinct smoothness, but with a bit of a weak coating on the mouth. Given, it's a porter, but I would like some of the excellent flavors in the beer to stick around a bit longer.

D - Drinkability is high. Once the beer warmed up a bit and the other, unique flavors in this beer came out, I didn't want to stop drinking this. It feels clean, but flavorful, and the coconut, chocolate, and coffee combination is addicting. It's a shame I haven't seen this around PA, as this is easily one of the best porter's I've had and the best of the relatively sparse coconut-flavored beers out there.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. Thanks Kris...and yeah man, I will buy you a bottle of this.

A: Pours almost pure black with a nice brownish and cream colored head that quickly dissipated. Lacing was a bit thin as well, but overall...a very enticing looking brew.

S: Tons of coffee and espresso that reminded me of Founder's Breakfast Stout off the bat. This beer says it's brewed with macadamia nut...but it comes off as being more almond to me. The coconut is there, but it takes time to search for it, as does the chocolate malt.

T: Roasted coffee/chocolate malts with a robust coconut sweetness upfront that seems to linger into a nice and subtle finish. Syrupy at times, but never to a point where I'm overwhelmed...excellent.

M: Full-body, oily, and zero to mild carbonation.

D: A damn good beer!

Overall: Never been big on Stone's collaboration beers, but this one is a true winner. Cheers!

12oz bottle into nonic.

A - Pours a very dark brown, practically black. A very thin tan-colored head comes about on an pretty aggressive poor, but quicky subsides into a thin ring around the glass. No lacing from the head.

S - Smells like a freshly brewed cup of coffee mixed with lots sweet & bitter chocolate. Some subtle hints of roasted nuts, some vanilla, some sweet cream as well. Yum!

T - Lots of coffee notes right off the bat. Some black coffee notes mixed with some chocolate covered coffee beans. A nice bitter, roasted malty finish with dark chocolate mixed in there as well. Mostly, this is coffee coffee coffee and then the porter characater comes through at the end with the smokey malts and chocolate.

M - Medium, very rich and smooth. Feels so nice on every sip and just the right amount of tingle from the carbonation. Really creamy and palate-covering. Perfect.

D - One per session is the perfect amount. That said, I am glad I have a few more bottle to drink over the next few months to see if/what changes in this awesome porter!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an opaque deep brown that borders on black, just barely letting light through at the edges. A nice creamy, tan head. Very good retention and some decent lacing.

S - Big on the roasted coffee beans and malt on the nose. There are also some earthy, chocolately aromas. Just a hint of coconut hiding in the background.

T - Rich, roasted coffee flavor up front, leading into some bittersweet chocolate and coconut flavors, as well as a hint of smokiness. There is also an earthy, slightly nutty quality that comes through, most likely the macadamia, although I can't really put my finger on it. Finishes fairly dry and leaves some nice coffee flavors in the aftertaste. Despite the fairly strong coffee flavors present in this one, it manages to maintain a nice complexity and balance. Tasty stuff.

M - Bordering on full bodied, with a fine carbonation that makes this one pretty smooth. Dryness in the finish helps keep it in balance.

D - I really enjoyed this brew quite a bit. I was slightly worried about the coconut addition, as I'm not usually a huge fan, but it ended up adding a nice, subtle touch to the brew without overpowering or being too sweet. Maintains a nice balance of sweetness and the dry, bittersweet coffee and chocolate flavors. The only down fall is that it perhaps a bit pricey, but I am glad I picked up a couple of bottles.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into chimay goblet...

A: Pours a beautifully rich dark chocolate bordering on black, nice creamy two finger mocha head forms and falls slowly leaving behind pretty good lacing, nice 1/2 inch cap remains throughout...

S: Definitely get the coffee upfront, smells of a dark roast with the macadamia nuts coming through along with some roasted caramel malt. Don't get any of the coconut, but didn't really expect to get it in the nose...

T: Huge flavors here!!! Wow, this is a massive porter with a lot of complexity. Coffee starts the show backed by the caramel malts, not as sweet as I expected which is a good thing in my opinion. Just a hint of the nuts comes through mid-palate and especially lingers in the finish. The coconut is ever so faint, guessing it might reveal itself more as it warms up. Bittersweet chocolate lingers long after it goes down and the abv is completely hidden. This is fantastic!

M: Just a hair heavier than medium bodied and the carbonation is as close to perfect as it could get, very smooth and just a slight tingle on the tongue to wake up the tastebuds.

D: Incredibly smooth and drinkable, abv is completely hidden and this is a wonderful beer all around! Highly recommend!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

FINALLY cracking open one of my bottles from the "cellar". Poured a jet black with a nice creamy tan head that lingered for a bit. Aroma of coffee, sweet malt, chocolate, and a bit of coconut. Taste was where this one's at: coffee, malt, chocolate, more coffee, and a bit of coconut with very little hop bitterness. Mouthfeel was great: I wanted to chew this brew. Definitely one of the better Stone (and the collaborators) offerings. I only wish I had more than just the one bottle left. I'll have to sit on my last one for a bit.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to krisandajt for this bottle. You might be a giant loser, but you're a nice guy.

Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, with a dense and soft dark tan head that threatens to overfill the glass. Head remains full all the way to the bottom of the glass and it leaves some very nice webbing on the sides.

Smell has a bold, dark roasted coffee quality to it, and is quite roasty in general in fact. Has some caramel sweetness and a nuttiness to it as well. Try as I might I'm not getting any coconut, but it is a nice nose.

Taste is also quite roasty with a bigger caramel sweetness than the nose let on as well. This is 8.5% after all, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find the extra sweetness and body; it goes well. Coffee flavor is bold yet smooth, and there is a really nice nutty flavor here too. It's toasty, roasty and nutty. In the finish as it warms up I finally start getting some coconut. A subtle flavor but a nice addition once it's there. This is full of flavor and very smooth.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and very creamy. It's super smooth and has a good level of carbonation, keeping it soft on the palate but without getting clammy.

Even at a little less than fresh, where coffee flavor often fades, this is still really good. I can imagine the coffee being even bolder when fresh, but it's still excellent. I wish this were a regular offering, it'd be something I'd buy all the time. Thanks again Joe.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of paulxqx poured into a tulip.

Pours dark brown out of the bottle and sits almost completely black in the glass with no light showing through. There's a big off-white head that hangs around as a cap and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma has lots of dark roasted malts and burnt espresso. There is definitely more than a hint of coconut in the nose as well.

The taste is really nice, very complex. It's got the initial sweetness of the coconut and dark chocolate before the dark roasted malts take over. The coffee in the taste is much more well-integrated with the other flavors and doesn't take on the burnt character that I got in the nose.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth with good carbonation and full-bodied. Dessert-like overall mouthfeel.

I love this beer and I might put it a slight notch above the Maui Coconut - one of the better beers I've tasted recently.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer pours a very dark brown color, with a thin tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving almost no lace.

This beer has a rich coffee aroma. I can detect the coconut as well. A slight chocolate aroma is also present. The aroma is very well balanced.

This beer tastes much like it smells. The chocolate is more pronounced in the flavor. It still has a nice coffee flavor, with a light coconut flavor.

The alcohol content in this beer is well hidden in both the aroma and the flavor. It goes down smooth, leaving a mild sweet coconut aftertaste. Low carbonation suits the style well.

This beer would make a good session beer, but the ABV is a little high. It tastes great though.

Overall: This is a great beer by a lot of great brewers. I would stock up on this if I could.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark black, light khaki head that pours out about a finger and a half deep, and retains incredibly well. Good lacing, but not incredibly sticky or anything. Appearance reminds me of a russian imperial stout with a lighter colored head.

S: Roasty coffee smell hits you first. The macadamia nut is also present. I probably wouldn't say anything about the coconut smell if I didn't know that the beer had been brewed with coconut, however, it is subtly present in the background.

T: Upfront there's a roasted coffee flavor, macadamia mid palate, and the coconut comes through mostly at the end. Lingering aftertaste of coffee and coconut. It's the tiniest bit sweet with hints of chocolate and vanilla, but bitterness dominates in the form of coffee and subtle hoppiness.

M: Typical porter mouthfeel. Not very viscous. Good carbonation. Kind of acidic though.

D: This beer is so complex and has so much going on that I can barely part my lips from the glass. I'm actually typing with one hand right now... it's that good.

Stone continues to blow my mind. BIG hats off to Maui brewing and Ken Schmidt!!! My Saturday afternoon couldn't be more relaxing at the moment.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

In my hands at long last!
Poured into my Stone pint glass
Deep and dark with a big two-inch tan colored head of inviting foam
Aroma-Roasted coffee, toasted malt
Taste-Creamy and smooth, nutty, subtle toasted coconut, coffee-with-cream flavor throughout-dry, warming finish.
Overall,complex and dynamic-very smooth and creamy-Take your time and enjoy this beer. A hula dance of flavor on your tongue!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

a - pours very black with a two finger head that disappears pretty quickly

s - smells heavily of coffee, as if youre sticking your nose directly in the pot

t - tastes like coffee too, surprise! a little nutty too maybe. kinda tangy.

m - not too thick, not too thin. just right.

d - i want more and im not even done with one bottle.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle, $6.99 each in OH but at that price I was lucky that this one was a gift (thanks Corey!). The beer is dark brown and opaque, just a little red translucence at the bottom of the glass, 1.5 fingers of light tan foam. I get a lot of coffee in the first whiff but not so overpowering as to mask the coconut in subsequent sniffs. The coffee overwhelms most other flavors but does allow some malty sweetness to squeak through. Really well put together, this is as balanced as it can be while being mostly bitter, if you're in the mood for coffee you'll be really happy with this beer. The body is thicker than most porters, maybe on par with a Baltic Porter.

Very very good, probably my favorite of the Stone triple collaborations so far. But really the $6.99 price tag per 12oz bottle is a bit ridiculous. Not worth 2x the price of Founders Breakfast Stout or even 1.5x Peche Mortel, but still satisfying as a 1-time beer.

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%

A little over a finger of head rises above a nearly black body. Bits and pieces of lacing left behind.

First whiff is dominated by deep, dark roasted coffee. Freshly ground gourmet style. There are hints of nuts here but not much coconut at all. I suppose if I use my imagination a bit I can sense the sweetness, but if coconut was not in the name I wouldn't guess it in a hundred years. Truthfully it doesn't matter though, because this is probably the best smelling coffee beer that has ever hit my nose. I didn't think Peche Mortel could be trumped in that category, but this might just be the one to do it. Hauntingly good coffee aroma.

The taste gives its damn finest effort to match the aroma, and it nearly succeeds (a very impressive feat). Fresh coffee of course dominates, but the nuttiness adds a dry twist that makes this one stand out from the crowd. Awesome beer, but for the life of me I can't find the coconut. I really want that touch of sweetness to help add a layer of complexity, but it just isn't there. Very fine effort though.

Mouthfeel is where some other great coffee beers come up short, but not in this case. This brew is nearly full bodied, and aside from imperial stouts you don't get much fuller. A hefty amount of carbonation also is present.

This one has me continuing to reach for the glass, although admittedly some of that has to do with the quest to find that coconut. I did drink it at around 50-60 degrees, so perhaps the coconut would have shined more closer to refrigerator temperature. Either way, this beer is a winner that should be tracked down before it is no longer available.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz. longneck bottle that is silk-screened in the same format as all their triple collab's seem to be. This one pours a very black-brown with a light tan head of neartly two-fingers. Good carbonation is evident and some nice spider lace is left clinging to the glass as you drink it on down.

The nose is slightly sweet and filled with the smell of freshly dumped coffee grounds...black coffee grounds. I'm not knocking the nose by using the term coffee grounds as opposed to freshly ground Kona coffee beans, that's just how it smells and it's quite wonderful at that.

The flavor is big with lots of coffee and some serious bitterness that can be accompanied by a strong, roasty coffee-centric brew. Although fairly well balanced, the bitterness starts out early in this brew and is tamed by subtle sweetness in the end. Kind of the opposite of most brews in general. Along with the boldly bitter coffee comes a pleasant dose of coconut, some notes of rich chocolate and roast, then a brief bit of macadamia and vanilla for a finish. A really nice complex flavor that should evolve well as it ages.

Smooth, bittering and some slight astringincy at times keep this brew lively in the mouth. The healthy dose of alcohol is not really noticed in the nose or taste until about the last sip, giving it a somewhat dangerous drinkability, and a tasty one at that. I will def pick more of this brew up...just gotta age some for the good of this effort. The only real downside is the price of this little beauty, it ain't cheap!

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to grub for this one, Secret Santa 2009.

A - Very dark brown, verging on black in the center. Big light brown head with excellent retention. Spotty lacing left behind.

S - Strong roasted coffee aroma up front. A hint of vanilla comes through and gets stronger as the beer warms. Hints of toasted bread as well. Coffee is certainly the dominant aroma from start to finsh though.

T - Lots of roasted coffee in the initial sip. Moderate bitterness and just a hint of fruit underneath. The coffee really dominated the taste from start to finish. A faint burnt sugar sweetness is also present.

M/D - Medium to full bodied with a very clean feel. Excellent level of carboantion and the coffee really stays with you throughout and long after the last sip. Lots of goodness going on in this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

One of the longest names for a beer there could possibly be. I think Stone needs to think of some sort of system for nicknaming their collabs.

A- Pours really thick and dark. This beer looks like a stout. Its really dark red/brown with nearly no light passing through at all. A big khaki colored head rises up and stays around for the whole glass leaving good lacing.

S- Strong smell of coffee, coconut, nuts. It smells like a box of chocolates almost.

T- Really surprising taste. The first sip was a shock. There is an unexpected sourness to this porter. Its also quite bitter. I was expecting something a lot more sweet. That being said this isnt a bad tasting beer by along shot. Its quite good. Very complex, there is a lot of stuff going on here.
The front comes in nutty and earthy and is quickly followed up by a sourness that underlies a black coffee bitterness. The middle holds a flash of milky coconut. The finish leaves with a hint of hops and more coffee that remains on the palette.

M- Really smooth medium body, medium carbonation. Slightly drying. A little bit of stickiness remains on the lips.

D- Allow yourself to get acclimated to this beer. It may take a few sips but it quickly grew on me. I wish I had another.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Sampled at GABF, then a bottle from K&L Redwood City.

A - Pours darkest brown, just about black, with a large, thick tan head.

S - Aroma is awesome, really roasty with coffee, chocolate, nuts, and coconut.

T - Flavor is similarly amazing, with dry roasted malt, fresh Kona coffee, a nice not overdone coconut flavor, macadamia nuts, and bitter dark chocolate.

M - Palate is dry yet smooth with medium-body and a lasting coffee bitterness. Just a tad grainy.

D - Pretty high. Wow, this is a really great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at John's Marketplace during my last trip out to Portland.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and decent lacing. The nose on this beer is pretty interesting, and it seemed to improve and change as it warmed in my glass. Initially, I thought the beer was dominated by an intense coffee ground aroma, with some noticeable black chocolate in the background. However, as the beer warmed, I also got some nutiness, black cherry, milk duds and dried pipe tobacco. The aroma profile in this beer is pretty attracive. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose in a moderately sweet flavor package. There is also a hint of hoppy bitterness in the finish, which is an attractive addition. Mouthfeel is no more then medium bodied, and the beer finishes pretty well. Alcohol is generally well disguised, and drinkability is quite good. In fact, this beer has a depth of flavor I don't see too often in a porter, and it added to the beers enjoyability.

Not sure this beer is/was so good that I'd want to plop down another $7 for a 12 ounce bottle, but nevertheless, this was a solid, very enjoyable porter. Interesting stuff.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this at a tasting a few months ago and was not impressed, but still had this bottle sitting around, and wanted to give it a whirl while the flavors where somewhat fresh. I am much more impressed this time around. Pours an ink black with a thin head and slight film for a head. The aroma is a vast improvement on the rather average appearance. Coffee is most apparent, but the macadamia characteristic is prominent, as well. I think the flavor is the best, as in addition to the coffee flavor pair with the roasted malt, and sweetness of the macadamia is the coconut flavor I enjoy so much in Maui's Coconut Porter. A nice creamy mouthfeel, and lack of heat for an 8.5% brew make this an easy drinker.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Poured along the side of a tulip glass with a very attractive two-finger head. The head is a beige/mocha color that eventually dies down to an espresso-like film that is quite inviting. Good retention & lacing throughout.

S - Lots of different smells going on during the first sniff. Coffee is most dominant but is accompanied nicely by a subtle, macadamia & coconut scent. There is a presence of roasted malts in the background that ties everything together nicely.

T - Immediate, sharp coffee taste that has almost an espresso-like bitterness to it. After the coffee, the macadamia comes in nicely as well as a hint of chocolate. The coconut comes in towards the end & during the aftertaste. Alcohol presence is minimal until the very end with the warming sensation.

M - Very crisp & carbonated at first but mellows out quickly to a flavorful, smooth, creamy liquid that rests nicely on the tongue. Full-bodied but not too thick/syrupy.

D - I could definitely drink a few more bottles of this. Makes me wonder what it's like on tap.

Overall, this beer is awesome. Even though it can be quite pricey, I definitely recommend this beer to all coffee & beer drinkers, and to anyone who wants to taste something unique!

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

A - coal mine at midnight black, with a finger of bubbly dark tan head

S - smell is rich with sweet coffee, there is also some hard to place sweetness that since i know what im drinking i can identify as coconut at macadamias, without that knowledge i wouldnt pick out the coconut as coconut, and the macadamia would just be a nutty aroma

T - the coffee sweetens up even more, the coffee is distinctly Kona, the coconut strengthens as well, i like to think i would be able to identify it at this point, but the nuttiness would just be nuttiness, however delectable it is

M&D - an easy down porter, with an effervescent mouthfeel, nice flavor layering that is quite a palate challenge, glad this finally came to my area. these Stone Collabs are quite a collections

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a black cola color with an off-white head that fades to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: The nose is full of vanilla, coffee, chocolate milk, and roasted malt.

T: The taste is phenomenal...loads of vanilla, coffee, and milk chocolate that each take center stage at different intervals as you drink. There is no alcohol presence which is amazing considering the ABV.

M: The feel is creamy and medium bodied. It works well with the flavors present.

D: I could drink this every day...too bad it's limited. 8.50% will sneek up on you though.

Highly recommended if you like the Maui Coconut Porter...this is similar but with a vanilla flavor instead of the cocoa. I'd love to see this barrel aged.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.