Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
4.08/5  rDev -1%

Received this brew from the main man from Florida Mr. tpd975 himself. This beer just sounds amazing and I'm freaking pumped to try this. Drank from my Surly Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours a midnight black with a fairly decent one finger dark tanned head that recedes fairly slowly. No cap remains but a thin collar does live on but unfortunately leaves zero lacing.
Smell- Very potent and so inviting it's just chocked full of roasted malts and roasted beans. The coffee is noticeable although not overwhelming and the toasted nuts are a plenty. Think something between toasted pecans and hazelnut. Not necessarily a coconut or macadamia nut smell but there all the same anyways right? Some chocolaty malt and caramel mix in the nose as well.
Taste- Starts out with a huge burst of bold rich coffee. It's very earthy and intense and I almost can't imagine drinking this coffee straight up. I'd be caffeine buzzed for weeks. Some alcohol and chocolate in the middle but nothing too crazy. The beer is dominated by the coffee and honestly I get zero coconut or macadamia nut until well into the finish. Once the alcohol warmth and coffee fade away a light woody nuttiness is present.
Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy body with some fairly aggressive carbonation for a sharp crisp feel.
Drinkability- Not bad. I was hoping for a bit more of the nutty flavors that come through so well in the nose but the coffee pretty much put those to rest. Don't get me wrong, coffee beers are about my favorites, I just was hoping for some coconut. Either way, great beer. Thanks Greg!

younger35, Nov 21, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A welcome gift from my good friend brewtull.

Pretty dull on the pour (into a shaker pint). Head vanishes and leaves a lifeless ale. There is carbonation, just a few bubbles and nothing else to show for it. Maybe lipids from the mac nuts or coconut?

Amazing aroma, full of those toasty coconuts and mac nuts, plus the usual porter chocolate and hop notes. Maybe coffee, but it certainly isn't screaming at me like I thought it would.

Silky, creamy, nutty, toasty, chocolatey, hoppy goodness. It's really tasty. That coffee makes a real entrance here, it's got that spicy, thin mouthfeel type-coffee vibe.

The thing that's really bringing it down is the high gravity. Were it not so thick I could pound these all night. Bring this back to 6% abv and it would be a TKO. Just saying.

Cheers!

rayjay, Nov 20, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Big thanks to 6daysbottomocean, bottle poured gently with little to no head. Dark, barely translucent brown with a couple bubbles left around the edges.
S- The name doesn't lie. There is a hint of coconut, a little coffee, and the rich smell of macadamia and dark malts. It really took me by surprise, I expected the coffee to dominate.
T- Very similar to the smell. Lots of rich nuttiness, some coconut, and bitterness provided by the coffee. Not a big hop presence, but it doesnt detract from the beer at all. The 8.5% abv is very well hidden. Overall, the flavors are very balanced.
M- Pretty thick for a porter, this one coats but isn't overpowering, carbonation is spot on. This is exactly what I expect from a higher abv dark beer. This beer has more body then some imperial stouts.
D- I have to say I am not a huge fan of porters but I could drink this all day. The best of the Stone collaborations that I have had so far, seek this out if you can.

nkersten, Nov 20, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A - coal mine at midnight black, with a finger of bubbly dark tan head

S - smell is rich with sweet coffee, there is also some hard to place sweetness that since i know what im drinking i can identify as coconut at macadamias, without that knowledge i wouldnt pick out the coconut as coconut, and the macadamia would just be a nutty aroma

T - the coffee sweetens up even more, the coffee is distinctly Kona, the coconut strengthens as well, i like to think i would be able to identify it at this point, but the nuttiness would just be nuttiness, however delectable it is

M&D - an easy down porter, with an effervescent mouthfeel, nice flavor layering that is quite a palate challenge, glad this finally came to my area. these Stone Collabs are quite a collections

sinstaineddemon, Nov 20, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Deep brown with a nice looking head of mocha that fades quickly leaving little lace and a thin topper.

I can get a sense of the macadamia's in the nose with a big chocolatey character and a slight roast. A hint of stale coconut leads into spent coffee grain and dark fruits.

Nice beer. Good complexity but a bitey acidity from the coffee that leaves an odd finish. Thick glyceryl before hand however with coffee, coconut, dark chocolates, macadamias and roasted goodness. One for the cellar.

mcallister, Nov 19, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a dimpled English pub mug.

Dark chocolate in color with a nice one inch thick tan head. Ample lace with tight creamy bubble formation.

Smells of toasted nuts; aroasted almond quality. Coffee is huge in my nose along with some sweet maltiness.

Taste is dynamic and complex blend of rasted coffee, nuts, fig and coconut almond cluster cookie. Very satisfying shape shifting as it warms; even more blended flavors.

Very dangerously drinkable but look out this stuf will kick your ass.

Cheers!

GordonQuid, Nov 19, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to Ineedabeerhere and errantnight for each sending me this in our recent trades!

A: Pours a dark brown/black french press coffee color with a one finger cap of mocha colored foam on top. The head has an amazingly silky texture and it some healthy rings around the inside of the glass.

S: Freshly roasted coffee dominates the nose when cold. However, as it warms, supporting aromas of dark chocolate, blackened malt, macadamia nuts, cherry, and toasted coconut each step out and take the spotlight.

T: Once again, coffee rules when this is right out of the fridge. And like above, all of the other sweet, semi-sweet, and savory flavors begin to creep out when it warms, gradually eclipsing the early domination of the coffee. Awesome!

M: Smooth and creamy with just a hint of dry bitterness. Lingering finish that lays out a bead of deliciousness across my tongue.

D: Damn! What a surprise. I love a well done coffee beer, but a well done coffee, macadamia nut, toasted coconut beer? Please!

GbVDave, Nov 19, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

This one is quickly becoming a fave of mine.

A: Very dark color with mocha colored head

S: This smells fantastic! You can definitely smell the coffee aroma emiting out of the glass. No strong scent of coconut.

T: Very tasty. You are instintantly hit with the coffee flavor, though not overbearing. I've tried some coffee porters that tasted like chewing on a coffee bean, not for me. This one however, has the perfect amount of coffee flavor. Very faint on the coconut flavor. Didn't really notice the coconut on the first try. The macadamia nut flavoring makes this taste so smooth.

M: You gotta try it, that's all I can say.

D: This one is very easy to drink. Drink it slowly and let it warm up a little in your cup. Makes for a mighty tasty beer. Goes down smooth.

All in all this is in my top favorites. Was supposed to be in short supply, but it keeps popping up in stores around MA. Glad, because I need more!

steve8robin, Nov 18, 2009

A: black as night with a mocha colored head.

S: the bouquet is hardy with heavy notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee.

T: sweet malt in the forefront followed by a mixture of macadamia and chocolate. Finishes with a gentle coffee presence that lingers between sips.

M: full bodied with a slight gritty texture and slight carbonation.

D: I was surprised not only by the fact that the macadamia pulled through, but that it hit the palette at the same time as the chocolate did, giving the impression that you were eating a cookie. This brew is outstanding and is worth seeking out.

Avagadro, Nov 18, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I got to try this earlier thanks to Joe (Ineedabeerhere) and Shane(HopHead84), and now, thanks to the very kind John and Chris, I have bottles to contemplate in their entirety while listening to Ensiferum's From Afar

The pour is black, with a dense brown head with excellent retention and some lace. Reddish brown highlights are apparent as well.

A great coffee character kicks things off, with a clean, medium roast character with low bitterness and a bright acidity. Coconut is present in quite a copious amount as well, and the intoxicating macadamia nut character brings to mind something I never thought I'd smell in a beer. Back home in India, at one of my friend's place, I'd occasionally have lunch where one of the featured items on the menu was dried red chili peppers soaked in yogurt for a while and deep fried in coconut oil. Not spicy in the least, I'm quite amazed by the semblance. That said - this beer delivers on all fronts - a great coffee character, a ton of coconut and a distinct nuttiness, all beautifully balanced. The base porter, while great with a mild bitterness and roast character, with some cocoa, isn't obtrusive in the least. Thoroughly enjoyable, it's definitely the best Stone collaboration beer that I've had yet.

Opening up with plenty of coffee, the other adjuncts added do affect the way I perceive the coffee, it seems medium-light in roast with a mild citrus character and a touch of refreshing acidity. Soon, though, the coconut really does take over, and I have to admit that I haven't tasted such a coconuty beer ever. Thoroughly natural, it is rich and deep with a great coconut meat flavor as well as a distinct coconut oil character. I can't say that I get huge macadamia nut character, it's not as noticeable as on the nose. That said, it's still present, noticeable, with the characteristic nutty sweetness of macadamias. Astringency is low, but that's not surprising given the character of the nut. All told, this is one beer where I welcome the novelty of the adjuncts overwhelming the relative simplicity of the base beer. While ample, I think the brewers made a good decision by keeping it simple - moderate chocolate, low bitterness, moderate roast, low hop character - and allowing their vision of what a balanced coffee-coconut-macadamia nut beer should taste like come through.

On the heavier side of light with moderate carbonation, this is great stuff. The finish is quite exceptional, really, with beautifully balanced coffee and coconut with just a touch of macadamia nut, and just enough bitterness to balance out the flavor of the fleshy coconut. I'm absolutely enjoying this bottle, and I have to ask myself - what if this beer met a bourbon barrel?

DefenCorps, Nov 16, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -15%

Picturesque pour into snifter...perfect dark brown with a finger of cappucino head. Head rather quickly dissipates. Big aroma of freshly ground coffee. And as expected, big coffee on the nose. Huge actually, leaving some bitterness to be had. Some nutty taste there, but again drowned out by the coffee. Reading the label now, I guess this is why- Kona. Very big & bold...this coming from a coffee fan. Bitter, with some vanilla thrown in I guess. Getting no coconut sweetness, because the Kona is standing in the way. Difficult to enjoy all 12 ounces.

RustyDiamond, Nov 15, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

pours a black with a small brown head, and a little lacing.

smell is of malt, cocoa, a little coffee, and some butter.

taste is dry, coffee, come cocoa, and roasted nuts, ends a little creamy, and somewhat bitter.

overall pretty good but not as good as the rating suggest.

froghop, Nov 15, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle poured in a snifter.

Pours a dark black with a small but creamy dark brown head, i gave it a really aggressive pour and even still it's a small head but it's sticking around. Nose is really bitter coffee. Malty notes round it off.

WOW! This is one smooth, clean beer! Not overpowering with coffee at all. It's got a light sharp carbonation that's really nice. Mouthfeel and body are a bit light but perfect for this. There are some light macadamia notes that come out as you drink it more. I'm really impressed with this beer, totally worth the slightly higer price.

kingcrowing, Nov 15, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Of all the Stone collaberation brews, this is the one that I have been most interested in. I have tried all of them except the Black Pilsner, and have yet to be impressed. A coconut porter brewed with macadamia nuts sounds like a can't miss. Here is my review:

A: Pours a dark brownish black. Not stout black, but still very dark. Head dissipates rather quickly.

S/T: The first thing I smelled in the aroma was a strong nutty aroma, almost like Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar. Coffee is also present, but not as intense as I expected. Taste is good, but just doesn't live up to expectations. Coffee is the most dominant flavor. Its a nice, dark roasted coffee flavor, but not as flavorful as say Beer Geek Breakfast or Founders Breakfast Stout. I don't get a whole lot of chocolate, but it is there. There is a strong nuttyness, but I wouldn't call it coconut. Maybe it is the macadamia? I feel this could have been a lot more.

M/D: Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Not as thick as an Imperial Stout, but pretty close. Drinks rather easily. Would probably be a good breakfast beer.

This is much better than the Tripel and Holiday Spice beer, but still nothing to write home about. Plus, at $7.00 a bottle, there are better options out there. Where is the coconut? Nothing really sets this apart from the pack. Worth a try, but don't expect what is advertised.

OldSchoolGamer, Nov 14, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a silky black with a quarter inch of head. Lacing is a beautiful dark brown.

Smells of intense coffee. Much akin to my morning cup of coffee, only colder. Hints of milk chocolate sweetness (creamer) are present as well.

Exceptionally thin, smooth mouthfeel. Feels of velvety chocolate, tastes of coffee with kiss of bitterness at the end. Roasted notes are evident along with a alcohol warming sensation. Some sweet molasses comes through at the end. Low carbonation, definitely a dessert beer.

Overall, alcohol lowers drinkability slightly. I probably wouldn't have noticed the coconut and macadamias had I not been trying to look for those flavors. Nevertheless, a nice beer to pair with a tart dessert.

TheJollyHop, Nov 14, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Second time I've had this and I'm liking it a lot more than the first. Pours very dark brown with a perfect inch of tan head. Smells delicious - creamy coffee, coconut, and cocoa. Honestly, I don't even know what the hell a macadamia nut tastes or smells like, so I couldn't tell you if that's in here too. I take their word for it. Tastes of coffee, coconut, cocoa, vanilla, and sweet cream. Body is fairly thick, creamy, and well carbonated. Spot on. This is damn guzzleable.

waltonc, Nov 14, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pours a solid black color with a huge creamy tan head that leaves nice lacing.

S- The nose is full of brewing coffee scents and a bit of smoke. Full dark coffee aroma with dark chocolate coming through. I must say that this is one of the strongest coffee noses that I have had so far.

T- A strong rush of roasted coffee bitterness with a slightly sweet finish. Some cocoa and milk chocolate makes a quick appearance but this baby is all coffee. Waves of espresso and creamy mocha flavor meld together to leave a wonderful coffee aftertaste. The alcohol is hidden quite well. There is just the slightest bit of macadamia nuts and coconut although I'm not sure if I would have picked them out if I didn't know they were in there.

M- Medium/full bodied with a gentle carbonation.

D- Truly a fantastic brew. If you love coffee, this is a must have.

projectflam86, Nov 14, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

From the bottle:

Instant smell of coffee as I poured this dark brew into my glass. First sip of roasted bitterness, chocolate, and coffee. The coconut must be in the background as I didn't notice it at first. Wait - yup, there it is.

Medium body and mouth feel is a little more thin than I was expecting.

Very very drinkable and the abv is well hidden. A solid brew that I would drink again. Is it worth $8 for a 12oz? Mmm...not so sure.

Next!

ScreamForMe, Nov 13, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this up at 99 Bottles. Not sure it will be available at home. As it turns out the bottle won't make it home as I am enjoying it on my last night in Seattle.

Dark, dark brown... like a deep root beer. In fact darker. Like French roast coffee the more I think about it. Thin tan head forms and quickly recedes. There is small amount of lacing that remains.

My God this smells exactly like Founders Breakfast or Peche Mortel. Coffee, boozy, wonderful..

Well my first comment is that I don't taste any coconut. Strong, smooth wonderful coffee/espresso flavor. Some vanilla and I would almost say it tastes barrel aged. I don't think it is. This is really growing on me as I enjoy the bottle. Dark roasted notes linger with a slight nuttiness, but I would have never guessed macadamia nuts.
At the end I can definitely sense the abv, but it's not "hot" It works.

Semi bold and thick body, oily slick and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and I hope I can find more at home. I really like this.

Well done!

Reagan1984, Nov 13, 2009

A very caramel brown dark body with a brown hue. Quickly fading mocha head that lases the glass.

Roasted nutty smells accompanied by toffee and vanilla. Very rich chocolate.

Bitter dark chocolate roasted malt and coconut all complement each other. Coffee and vanilla flavors carry over nicely as well.

A nice carbonation cuts the beer to make it almost have a light mouthfeel. A dry finish. I can't really taste the ABV. A very well done beer not quite as special as I would've hoped but not bad all the same.

bfields4, Nov 11, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +16%

Whenever I see a beer from Maui Brewing Company, I always get excited. When I first went to Maui 2 years ago, I was highly impressed with the beers that they were creating at Maui Brewing Company- Coconut Porter, Black IPA's, Stouts aged in Rum barrels and my friend's favorite, Red Cock Doppelbock- my kind of 'Hawaiian' beer. AND I have not been able to find any of their special releases outside the brew pub besides their Bikini Blond Ale (my least favorite but still a good beer), Big Swell IPA (actually this IPA is one of my favorite IPA's) and Coconut Porter (delish). These are so worth trying- they sell them at Whole Foods and it comes in a can; which by the way, is ecofriendly , it keeps your beer fresher longer and it gets colder faster.

SO I was very very excited to try a collaboration beer with Maui Brewery, Stone Brewery (another great brewery) and the home brewer Ken Schmidt. I enjoyed a bottle of it at Monk's Kettle...for $16..expensive but it is a 8.5% beer and you can no longer buy it at a store. It is a porter brewed with Kona Coffee, Macademia nuts and toasted coconut...It was definately full of flavor- it was nutty, smokey with a coffee finish- definately meant to be sipped and loved!

Oh how I love you Maui Brewing Company...I hope you end up distributing more beers out to California soon or just twist my arm and make me go to Maui to get some aloha.

femALEist, Nov 11, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this as a extra from Jerz thanks for the great trade!!!

A - Dark pour with a chocolate head with minimal lacing and a small head.

S - Light chocolate, nutty, some coffee notes.

T - the coffee flavor comes through this one is similar to the Stone RIS in some ways but with a but of the nutty flavor coming through.

M - leaves a bit of the chocolate feel behind as well as a the nuttyness from the tasting as well.

D - really good, really smooth might be perfect if the price was lower(I know it was a extra but the price was still on it) either way looking for another if given the chance.

Casey10, Nov 10, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Interesting bottle, randomly picked this up and was interested to learn that it was a collaboration between Stone brewery, a home-brewer, and a Hawiian brewery.

A) Very dark cola-esque brown with small dark fizzy brown head. Slightly thick and viscious layer against glass.

S) Coffee definitely stood out. Dark, roasted malts, some mild sweetness of the coconut as well. Not a super strong smell.

T) Very flavorful - the roasty coffee, malts, smokiness, and nuttiness all stand out. This is a big flavor, very robust. No overt sweetness but the coconut while subtle balances out some of the bitterness.

MF) Medium, somewhat chewey, thick on the tongue.

D) Good - great taste, and I don't detect the 8.5% alcohol. It's pleasant but one was plenty with so much flavor.

sophisticated, Nov 09, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

pours a good looking dark rootbeer color with a bit of a cream colored head that doesn't last too long.
the aroma is big a rich. it's got all the stuff your expecting, espresso, nut (macadamia i guess), and soft coconut. besides that there is vanilla, dark chocolate. a touch boozey.
the taste is similar to the aroma, but rounder and more complex. the nuttiness especially plays of the coffee nicely. there is a nice burnt aspect, due partially or fully to the coffee, that very nicely balances out the sweetness. you pick up more roasty coconut as you exhale after taking a sip.
the mouthfeel is just shy of full bodied and perfectly suited to the taste. the burnt dryness couples with the smooth creamy body to create something really special in my opinion.
the drinkability is fantastic. remeniscent of peche mortel with a few different things going on. well worth the somewhat steep price.

kmo1030, Nov 08, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into chimay goblet...

A: Pours a beautifully rich dark chocolate bordering on black, nice creamy two finger mocha head forms and falls slowly leaving behind pretty good lacing, nice 1/2 inch cap remains throughout...

S: Definitely get the coffee upfront, smells of a dark roast with the macadamia nuts coming through along with some roasted caramel malt. Don't get any of the coconut, but didn't really expect to get it in the nose...

T: Huge flavors here!!! Wow, this is a massive porter with a lot of complexity. Coffee starts the show backed by the caramel malts, not as sweet as I expected which is a good thing in my opinion. Just a hint of the nuts comes through mid-palate and especially lingers in the finish. The coconut is ever so faint, guessing it might reveal itself more as it warms up. Bittersweet chocolate lingers long after it goes down and the abv is completely hidden. This is fantastic!

M: Just a hair heavier than medium bodied and the carbonation is as close to perfect as it could get, very smooth and just a slight tingle on the tongue to wake up the tastebuds.

D: Incredibly smooth and drinkable, abv is completely hidden and this is a wonderful beer all around! Highly recommend!

RedBrewer83, Nov 07, 2009
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.