1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 315 | Reviews: 234 | Show All Ratings:
HopHeadLouie

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

There are not many things that I would wait in line 30 minutes for, but the idea of a Kona coffee, macadamia, coconut porter was just too good to pass up. The brew did not disappoint and the 4 ounce taste at the StoneFest was just enough to wet my appetite and put me on edge waiting for the eventual bottle release. After a month of waiting, speculating and spreading the word, I finally got my bottles last night and was not disappointed!

Smells terrific, I get lots of macadamia on the nose with hints of reminiscent familiarity, Maui coconut porter, it's definitely in there. On the buds, it's Kona coffee up front for sure. As the beer warmed it evolved into a more complex meld of Hawaiian goodness. The macadamia and coconut work more as accents and are perfect compliments to the rich Kona coffee flavor. Full bodied and viscous with perfect carbonation and a small pleasantly stiff hop under bite, perfect in just about every way, you can taste the craftsmanship and artistry that went into this beer.

This is not only the best of the Stone Collaborations, but it is the first of the series that actually validates the mission of bringing brewers together to passionately redefine what beer can be.

09-25-2009 19:21:27 | More by HopHeadLouie
Halcyondays

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a one finger white head, good retention, light lace.

S: Really pretty coffee smell, slight hint of nuts. After the brew is completed a teriyaki sauce type smell comes out of the glass.

T: Robust sweet coffee, coffee-infused chocolate, with a nice secondary flavour of coconut. Light notes of vanilla in the finish.

M: Smooth, silky, with soft prickly carbonation. A bit of ethanol is evident, not as robust as I thought it would be in the end.

D: This is quite a tasty and interesting beer. After all the hype I expected to be blown away, even though I wasn't I still enjoyed this intriguing, drinkable effort.

09-25-2009 16:13:49 | More by Halcyondays
route66pubs

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Pulled straight from my 60 degree "cellar" (fridge with external thermostat) and poured into a pint glass.

Pours a deep dark black. Very little light seeps through when held in front of a light. Thick brown head with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles subsides nicely to virtually nothing with very minimal retention along the glass.

Aroma completely reeks of deep, rich coffee from start to finish. Very little else can make its way into this aroma at first. But as your sense of smell adjusts to the coffee overload, the scent of the rich, creamy macadamia nuts roll in slowly. (I loved that coffee aroma, hence the "5" rating!)

As with the aroma, the coffee overwhelms the taste buds. Too much, in my opinion. Let that macadamia seep out some more. The macadamia is there, just a bit mellow. Although the creaminess most certainly helps ease the mouthfeel.

And about that mouthfeel ... Stone = hops = crisp bite in the mouth, and you know it will come through again. It does not disappoint. Here, both the richness of the coffee and the creaminess of the macadamia come through to pull some of that bite back down. I almost feel like I'm drinking the richest espresso of my life when the coffee hits me. The initial bite at the front of the tongue quickly gives way to that creaminess, which then lasts all the way down your throat.

I really don't think I could handle much of this. Sure, it certainly goes down very easily and is quite enjoyable. But that over-the-top-coffee richness combine with 8.5% ABV to make me realize one is enough.

09-25-2009 02:05:56 | More by route66pubs
cbanker

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Got the last bottle at the bar at Stone yesterday evening and split it with a friend. For what it's worth it was the Maui version of the bottle (there are 3 different bottle prints). I let the bartender pour it into 8 oz. glasses for us.

I had this on tap at the Stone 13th anniversary festival and was blown away. I had been anxiously waiting to try the bottled release. The bottles certainly don't disappoint and it tastes just like I remember it on tap.

Deep brown, nice looking head. The smell is outstanding, like great fresh-brewed coffee with hints of nuttiness and chocolate. I found myself whiffing this beer whenever I wasn't sipping it, truly outstanding smell.

The initial taste is certainly coffee, and one of the best coffee tastes I've had in a beer. I gradually notice more coconut flavor after the initial coffee with a slight hint of roasted macadmia. Also prominent are flavors of chocolate and roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and certainly matches the flavor well.

This is a very drinkable beer, I could slowly savor quite a bit of this if it were readily available. You can tell it's somewhat strong, but it certainly doesn't taste like it's 8.5%.

This is by far my favorite porter I've had. I really like the Maui porter, but they've outdone themselves with this collaboration. This higher ABV and stronger coffee flavor set this beer apart from the standard Maui. Ken created an outstanding beer, and Stone pulled together a perfect collaboration.

It's a shame that this is such a limited release, because it is truly outstanding. I would certainly pay a premium price for this beer if stone made it a regular (or at least seasonal) release. IMHO, Stone should get Ken Schmidt on staff and let him work some more magic.

Get out and try this beer while you still can, you will not be disappointed.

09-24-2009 17:09:29 | More by cbanker
HopHead84

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A midweek beer to celebrate the vanquishing of a foe that was my bane for some time. Consumed on 9/24/2009 and poured into my Russian River tulip. All Shall Fall couldn't have come at a better time. The beer pours black into my glass with a creamy one inch light brown head. The head exhibits nice retention, eventually retreating into a small lingering froth above the ebony elixir. Scattered lacing clings to the glass.

I was somewhat wary of this beer when I saw that the first word of the title is a brand of coffee. I'm happy to report that at 58 degrees Fahrenheit, coffee is very well integrated in the nose. The coffee doesn't smell overly roasted and acrid, like so many other coffee porters/stouts. It's reminiscent of a light black coffee. I find the coconut to be blatant in the aroma. I've never before experienced toasted coconut, but I imagine it would be similar to the coconut I smell here. There is a faint nuttiness in here, though I can't swear that it's macadamia (although it might be). There's a pleasantly low level of roast, low sweetness, and no apparent alcohol. This smells great.

The flavor opens up with bittersweet and robust coffee. The coffee character is pretty strong and somewhat surprising considering its balance in the aroma. It's overshadowing until midpalate when it begrudgingly defers to toasted coconut, rich dark chocolate, and a faint nuttiness. The finish is extremely long, recapitulating each flavor I experienced. My palate is left with lingering coffee and coconut.

Though the coffee was strong in the flavor, I think it's important to emphasize that it never attained the irritable and all too common level of overly roasted and acrid that I find prevalent in coffee beer. It was initially powerful but it did yield to other flavors in a timely fashion.

The beer is full bodied with low medium carbonation and a near perfect creamy mouthfeel. This is reminiscent of Maui Coconut Porter, but better. Well done, Ken Schmidt. This was a good idea, a nice refreshing glass of crisp beer on a day like this. Just the job!

09-24-2009 08:18:15 | More by HopHead84
Overlord

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a robust blackish-brown (black inside, brown on edges) with a gigantic light brown head. Looks gorgeous.

Smells ... uh oh ... that's a lot of coffee. I gotta a feeling this is going to be an "in the mood" type brew. If you want its strong gropings at that moment, you'll love it, if you're interested in some gentle caressing, not so much. There's not a whiff of macademia in the aroma, maybe a bit of coconut, and perhaps a touch of roasted malty chocolate.

Taste is exactly what I expected. If you're looking for a coffee over-flavor that will kick you in the balls, with some offsetting roasted malt, surprisingly sweet chocolate, and a whiff of coconut (the macademia is barely in this brew ... perhaps no amount of macademia could have overcome the coffee uber-taste) then this beer is your huckleberry.

Very good creamy mouthfeel.

The drinkability is tough to rate. If this is what you're in jonesing for, it's a solid 5+. If you're not, the coffee could be pretty palate wearying.

09-24-2009 06:28:58 | More by Overlord
vacax

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

yo beeradvocate, imma let you finish, but Ken Schmidt got one of the best porters of all time!

$6.50 for 12 oz. bottle

Nearly black dark brown with a nice brown head. Head looks decent, then dwindles away until next to nothing at all is left. The nose is luscious with kona coffee, cane sugar sweetness, a tinge of toasted coconut and some rum-like alcohol. Rich malt and somewhat yeasty or nutty. As it opens up coconut pops up and the coffee settles down.

The first taste for me is loaded with kona coffee, then the finish was exceptionally long with a melange of burnt sugar, rum, and dark roast. The more I drink the more I begin to unleash the coconut element, which not only has the toasted coconut taste but also a fresh coconut flavor that is much more developed than other coconut beers I have encountered. A rich biscuit malt and nutty yeast quality also shines through, giving a rich full character. Full bodied, a bit slippery, and a rounded medium carbonation just enhance.

My previous experience with a coconut beer from Maui had left me nonplussed, and with such an exorbitant price point, I thought this beer was going to be smoke and mirrors. I would guess the macadamia nut element hurt the head in this brew, but the flavors, aromas, and feel of this beer deliver. Extremely well done.

09-24-2009 00:04:18 | More by vacax
GRG1313

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours dark black with a light brown head. Actually looks like a "frothy" coffee.

Nose is simple brewed coffee when chilled. As it warms up you get more brewed coffe with some macademia nut and light coconut. A real coffee nose.

Mouthfeel is as good as it gets! It is big, and hugely rich. The mouthfeel is like coffee with real cream; like a thick, rich "hot chocolate" feel. Buttery and creamy in character and feel; rich! And, believe it or not, there some hops to it and they are super well integrated. This may be the single best mouthfeel I've ever tried.

The flavors are off the chart. Rich, creamy chocoate coffee with a nut and coconut undertone and character. The coffee character and flavor and general quality could not be better. You don't come near feeling the alcohol (8.5%!) The flavors really come out and rock as this one warms up. Cool this is a really nice coffee brew; room termperature this will knock your socks off with flavor and complexity.

This is a beer that is one of the most drinkable porters (or stouts) that I've tasted. I hate to join the hype (or add to it) but this one is off the charts. Putting aside the coconut and macademia nut for the moment, this is what a coffee stout (porter?) is supposed to taste like...period!

This one may be in my top 10 already. And, please...you really want to taste it with a head. It's like drinking the foam that adds to the character of a cappuccino.

I bought some bottles to trade; I may just keep all the bottles I acquired since this is one that will likely stay good for quite a while and perhaps even get a bit more complex with some age. There is a sweetness that some may dislike; me? I really like it. The "sweet" is not so much sugar as it's "flavor."

This is one collaboration that should stick together for many beers to come! Well done!

09-23-2009 23:59:58 | More by GRG1313
MiScusi

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Dark brown to black as seen on pour into the glass, on closer inspection it is a brown clear liquid. Nice thick creamy head builds up but actually dissipates quite fast.

S- NOT what I expected at all. First off there is quite a bit of coffee, but not the same kind of crazy fresh cold coffee you get from Victory at Sea. This to me actually leaned more towards the roasted grain type coffee aroma, but my friend got more of a straight up coffee out of it than I did. Along with that it smelled almost IDENTICAL to many imperial stouts. I don't want to say this had a soyness to it, but it was something *along* those lines, like way in the background but maybe I'm just sensitive to that (and I'm not the biggest Imperial Stout fan in the world either).

T- Completely different from the smell to me. Roasted grain is one of the prevalent flavors here, kept in check enough to qualify as a porter. Right smack in the middle is a sweetness along with something that I don't know is actually a flavor more than a mouthfeel component, but the middle is absolutely delightful. It's a mild sweetness, maybe a nuttiness, or roundness to the flavor profile. To me the taste is all about this middle palate presence, which makes it unique from every other porter, stout or other dark beer I've had.

M- This is a deceptively thick brew. You wouldn't think so at first, although it does look thick upon pouring but that slickness and fullness in the mouthfeel comes across even more so when it's on your tongue.

D- this beer is so good you could drink pint after pint, until you pass out.

I wonder how this would be on nitro...

09-23-2009 06:02:15 | More by MiScusi
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.