Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
neorunner

Found this bottle in the cellar. Pours a deep black with dark brown hues around the borders. Head is medium tan in color with fairly large carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is of chocolate, bitter malt, and some alcohol. Flavor is all about the coffee with a strong underlying cherry/kreik taste. I think the kreik is coming from the acidity of the beer and it having possibly soured a bit. The off flavor is great, but a bit overpowering to allow for any other subtleties to come through in the beer.

08-08-2010 21:52:30 | More by neorunner
muchloveforhops3

Oregon

04-04-2012 22:12:06 | More by muchloveforhops3
m1ked

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Picked a bottle at Bowery WF.

A- Pours a pitch black that reveals a mahogany garnet sliver at the top when held up to the light. A generous sandy head that quickly fades to a mere wisp. No lacing noted, a couple of bubbles popping at the top, but I can't see any streamers in that darkness.

S- Rich vanilla beans, bitter chocolate and milk chocolate, coffee, woody and nutty notes. I am not sure but I think that the vanilla notes may actually be the coconut- either way it smells great.

T- Similar to the nose I get the rich vanilla, milk chocolate, bourbon, coffee, nuttiness. At the end I get the coconut that lingers. I really enjoy all these flavors that seem to work so well together.

M- This is probably my favorite part- so rich & creamy without being heavy. Light carb that works well. A slight lingering coating on the tongue that I enjoy, and a bit of an alcohol burn.

D- I wish I could find/afford a 12er of this stuff. I woulnd't put down more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but would love to have some of this on hand to drink whenever. I think this is good to drink now. As always though, I wonder what it would do with some time- I feel that it might lose some of the rich flavors that meld together so well.

10-12-2009 00:17:35 | More by m1ked
ScreamForMe

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

From the bottle:

Instant smell of coffee as I poured this dark brew into my glass. First sip of roasted bitterness, chocolate, and coffee. The coconut must be in the background as I didn't notice it at first. Wait - yup, there it is.

Medium body and mouth feel is a little more thin than I was expecting.

Very very drinkable and the abv is well hidden. A solid brew that I would drink again. Is it worth $8 for a 12oz? Mmm...not so sure.

Next!

11-13-2009 03:51:14 | More by ScreamForMe
infi

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Incredibly lucky to finally find one of these!

Poured into a nonic pint.

Smooth pour reveals a dark mahogany/black color with a large, pillowy tan head arising from the liquid that quickly fades. Decent amount of soapy lacing as you sip and swirl the glass. Just as advertised on bottle, the Kona coffee and Macadamian nuts are easily identifiable on the nose. Roasted Kona coffee is the one big aroma even as you initially open the bottle - it just creeps out into the room. But once you actively stick your nose into the glass, the toasted nuttiness from the Macadamian nuts comes into play. The coconut was the one scent not as quite defined, but with a couple deep inhales the toasted coconut becomes discerned. Among this nice trifecta, hints of some sweet chocolate and malt are also found. Overall, this is reminding me of a piece of Almond Joy candy. Pure elation.

Wow, wow and hello. Taste is incredibly rich and robust with the coffee being the first flavor hitting the tongue and subsequently the sweet coconut following up. Roasted qualities dominate the taste - it's incredible. Not so much of a nuttiness in flavor as was in the aroma, but that's not a problem. The Kona coffee, sweet coconut and roasted malt make up for its absence. But as it warms up a bit, the Macadamian flavors, as well as some vanilla and caramel, start to appear and intermingle with everything else. Subtle hints of chocolate become detectable in the final finish and lands on a slight burnt coffee bitterness with a soft lingering effect. The 8.5% ABV is very much noticeable in the end too. Incredibly well-crafted and complex.

Mouthfeel is substantially smooth and savory with the beer lining the cheeks and tongue very well. Just enough carbonation to make it tingly, but not enter light-bodied territory. I find this to be *way* better than the Smoked Porter, which I thought was way too thin and unappealing. This collaboration renewed my faith in porters for sure. There's actually a genuine chewiness to this, which I love. If I had a few more bottles of these in my fridge, I would definitely have more than one. Drinkability is wonderfully high - flavor and scent are up to par. You wouldn't notice how fast it's drinking.

This is a beautifully crafted porter and excellent collaborative brew by Stone, Maui and Ken Schmidt. I truly think that this porter would be a great pairing with a piece of Almond Joy candy; they're so similar, I could only imagine the flavor explosion. The only qualm I have is due to its price per bottle, $6.99 per 12 oz. If it weren't so expensive, this would definitely be a common sight in my fridge. But nonetheless, this is definitely worth the buy. Really surpassed my expectations.

10-23-2009 04:28:21 | More by infi
MrGone

04-06-2014 04:19:12 | More by MrGone
caddybuyer

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Been looking for this for awhile and picked it up, in all places, in Penn Station NY. (There is a beer vendor there at the night rush that gets some pretty awesome stuff....retired vertical epics and such, and sells them to the commuter crowd)

A-Deep opaque brown with a rich creamy tan head with very nice lacing.

S-Pow! This is one fragrant porter....Malty roasted coffee with a nutty background. Mild and odd, but not offsetting dishwater note. Pungent and mouthwatering.

T-Strong, bitter sweet chocolate syrup and coffee start the palate. Surprisingly, the macadamia nuts shine through as well midrange. Power packed with flavor, the finishing hops last forever and work in harmony with the astringent coffee bitterness that rounds out the finish.

M-Silky, chewy, oily, smooth...damn near perfect

D-What a beer...going back to get another tomorrow....I've never seen it anywhere else. Not one to knock back quickly, but a true sipper to savor. A real treat. I am not a huge porter fan, but this has got to be my favorite to date.

Re-review of this beer: Second time around I did this at cellar temperature, and the beer seemed to have lost a bit of its impact and picked up a much hoppier boozier note, almost like a different beer. The two were purchased about a month apart, so they might have been from a different batch, but in any case, this is one to try. Wild ass West Coast take on the style, as is to be expected.

12-17-2009 02:22:34 | More by caddybuyer
Braden

Tennessee

05-26-2014 03:43:29 | More by Braden
r0nyn

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a bottle into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a dark-ish mahogany brown that resolves into a murky blackness. Ruby edges around the sides. Can also see little bits of gunk at the bottom, probably yeast from my less-than-stellar pour. Inch thick, soapy, light tan head that recedes to a thin cap, leaving some stringy lacing coating the inside of the glass. Big blast of sweetish malts in the nose, with a very faint undertone of coffee and chocolate. Not very much coconut or macadamia nuttiness at all, though.

Still big and malty on the initial sip, but not as sweet as the smell. Very subtle nuances of nutty chocolate and vanilla show up in the middle, along with just a hint of breadiness. Coconut still eludes me; I can't seem to detect it anywhere in the taste or smell. Roasted coffee makes up the back end of the brew along with some light bitterness that doesn't linger. Mouthfeel is light, but creamy with little carbonation. Goes down easy and leaves the tongue slightly on the dryer side.

Drinkability is above average. I guess I was expecting a lot more out of this beer than I got. Coconut is nowhere to be found, and there's only a light smattering of coffee and macadamia in the taste and smell. I don't mind malt bombs, so I enjoyed this beer; I just wish I was able to find what's advertised on it!

12-14-2010 06:15:17 | More by r0nyn
endincolorado

Pours black and fairly thick with faint chestnut at the edges. Nice tan head settles slowly, with a good amount of lacing.

Aromas of strong coffee, faint coconut, crisp hops, and a vague alcohol in the background.

A solid porter, with strong flavors of coffee, cocoa, some faint notes of coconut. Some crisp, dry hoppiness and a vague alcohol-warmth. Lots of malt here-- sort of wish coconut and macadamia flavors would come through a little more.

Nice and syrupy body with good carbonation.

Again, an all-around great porter, but I'd like a little more of these flavors listed on the bottle. Overall, a little disappointed. Delicious, but not at seven dollars a (12oz) bottle.

11-30-2009 03:36:45 | More by endincolorado
MrDanno96

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a deep brown color that has some suggestions of red when held to the light. A thin off-white head tops the brew; minimal lacing.

S: A Strong aroma of rich, sweet chocolate and some astringency from the coffee beans - a robust dark roast. A little nuttiness mingles with the chocolate, but alas, no real coconut aroma.

T: A strong dark coffee flavor dominates the flavor and mixes with a nice dose of mocha and perhaps a touch of smoke. A nice bittersweet finishes completes the experience. Still, the coconut is sadly absent.

M: Medium bodied and fairly smooth for the abv. A little astringent in the finish.

D: A cool experience no doubt - definitely a brew I'm glad I stumbled upon. It's a decent porter, but nothing really too special. I really wish the coconut actually came through in the flavor. The coffee really dominated this one.

06-26-2010 06:30:12 | More by MrDanno96
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a deep, dark brown color with a good creamy tan head, good lacing. Aroma is a whole bunch of coffee, roasted and toasted malts, nutty, coconut, and a little bit of chocolate. Flavor is chocolate, coffee, a touch of coconut, a little fruity, roasted malts, and a hint of spiciness. Mouthfeel is moderate, creamy, fairly carbonated, with a bittersweet finish. Very good beer, coffee is favored but still fairly balanced.

02-07-2010 03:06:38 | More by mtstatebeer
Grant35

08-18-2013 07:57:05 | More by Grant35
capra12

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Reviewed with speedwayjim served out of a surly pint glass.

Appearance: poured a 1 1/2 finger of frothy and bubbly light caramel head which dissipates quickly and black amber in color.

Smell: Straight black coffee.

Taste: opens with dark coffee and a malt profile as a subtle dark chocolate intertwines with the coffee till the end. A nuttiness comes in at the finish and a hint of coconut as the finish carries into the aftertaste which consist of chocolate, coffee and malt. This was a big let down until we had this as it warmed up a bit and the coconut becomes more prominent in the middle to finish.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation and silky.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again and recommend this to those who enjoy a coffee, dark chocolate and subtle nutty and coconut profile toward the end. Serve this one chilled and let it warm up to room temperature and enjoy the way this brew evolves as this warms up.

11-02-2009 01:34:16 | More by capra12
OlieIPA

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. Thanks Kris...and yeah man, I will buy you a bottle of this.

A: Pours almost pure black with a nice brownish and cream colored head that quickly dissipated. Lacing was a bit thin as well, but overall...a very enticing looking brew.

S: Tons of coffee and espresso that reminded me of Founder's Breakfast Stout off the bat. This beer says it's brewed with macadamia nut...but it comes off as being more almond to me. The coconut is there, but it takes time to search for it, as does the chocolate malt.

T: Roasted coffee/chocolate malts with a robust coconut sweetness upfront that seems to linger into a nice and subtle finish. Syrupy at times, but never to a point where I'm overwhelmed...excellent.

M: Full-body, oily, and zero to mild carbonation.

D: A damn good beer!

Overall: Never been big on Stone's collaboration beers, but this one is a true winner. Cheers!

09-26-2009 17:10:18 | More by OlieIPA
nkersten

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

A- Big thanks to 6daysbottomocean, bottle poured gently with little to no head. Dark, barely translucent brown with a couple bubbles left around the edges.
S- The name doesn't lie. There is a hint of coconut, a little coffee, and the rich smell of macadamia and dark malts. It really took me by surprise, I expected the coffee to dominate.
T- Very similar to the smell. Lots of rich nuttiness, some coconut, and bitterness provided by the coffee. Not a big hop presence, but it doesnt detract from the beer at all. The 8.5% abv is very well hidden. Overall, the flavors are very balanced.
M- Pretty thick for a porter, this one coats but isn't overpowering, carbonation is spot on. This is exactly what I expect from a higher abv dark beer. This beer has more body then some imperial stouts.
D- I have to say I am not a huge fan of porters but I could drink this all day. The best of the Stone collaborations that I have had so far, seek this out if you can.

11-20-2009 04:05:45 | More by nkersten
smi

4.5/5  rDev +9%

04-06-2012 01:31:05 | More by smi
bonsreeb85

Colorado

Special thanks to my buddy Bardwashrind for hooking my up with this "birthday brew".
Cheers Andre!

Comes out a deep and dark CocaCola colored body that looks thick and sticky. A brown fizzy head sits proudly on top and has some decent staying power.

The nose is full of freshly roasted coffee beans and rich dark malts. Vanilla beans and oak come through as the beer warms a bit. Dark chocolate and a nutty smell also develop and add character to the party.

The flavor is full of roasted malts and coffee(imagine that huh?)I also taste a nutty flavor but I would not be able to pinpoint macadamias as being the culprit if i wasn't told. Midway a slight sweetness creeps through with a toasted coconut flavor that lingers and makes things interesting before a superbly bitter and earthy ending.

The Feel is pretty silky smooth and creamy with a medium sized body.

Good drinkability. Bitter with a slight sweetness. definately worth a shot if you can find it.

11-29-2009 03:17:53 | More by bonsreeb85
berkey

4.13/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. I let this warm to about cellar temp before drinking.

Pours black with a medium sized tan colored head which is retained fairly well and leaves some excellent lacing as it settles.

Coffee is right out front on the aroma backed up by some mellow chocolate notes. There's a little more sweetness than usual for a porter but I can't be sure if it has something to do with the addition of coconut or if it's just the high for the style abv.

Flavor also is strong on the coffee, especially on the entry, but as on the aroma it's clean and pleasant. No burnt plant matter type flavors like in some coffee tasting beers. Coconut is more easily picked out here than on the nose, particularly mid sip and again on the aftertaste while the chocolate is still hanging around. The nutty character from the macadamias is also identifiable but only because I'm really looking for it.

Medium to low carbonation works well for this beer. Didn't realize it was 8.5 abv until late in the tasting which is a plus for drinkability in my book.

Very well done, the best collaboration beer I've had in awhile and one of the better applications of coffee in beer out there. My one gripe is that as pleasant as the coffee character is it kind of stomps on the other flavors. I kind of wish the macadamia and coconut were more prominent. Overall it's a tasty brew though.

01-12-2010 06:19:42 | More by berkey
abuliarose

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a snifter to reveal opaque black body and slight tan head. Smells like coffee grounds in black bean teriyaki sauce, but in a good way. Head dies pretty quickly, leaving little lacing.

Tastes well-roasted with lots of savory notes. Nice light bitterness. Hints of soy sauce. Good malt smoothness. I actually have some Hawaiian crushed coffee bean-candied macadamia nuts in the pantry and there are a lot of flavor parallels here. It's got all the roastiness of the porter with some nice nutty accents and a deep coffee undertone. Maybe even some coconut character, but it's always hard to get that last one. There's less bitterness at the end than what I'd expect from a Stone anything. Medium-bodied, lightly carbonated mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Overall I dig it. If it were cheaper, I would consider buying more and totally marinate some chicken in it.

11-29-2009 02:51:28 | More by abuliarose
Sideswipe

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Came across this in the back of the fridge. Great find on a Friday night! 12oz bottle into a snifter.

The beer pours inky black with a quarter inch of lovely mocha colored foam atop it. The head subsides leaving a ring of beige bubbles around the outside of the glass. The nose is a blast of coffee goodness with a bit of sweet roasted malt and nuttiness to it. Taste follows the nose with huge coffee flavors up front. Roasty malt flavors follow with notes of nutty macadamias and sweet coconut on the backside. The finish is semi-dry with a bit of hoppy bitterness which lingers. Very nice. Feel is medium with a low level of carbonation. What a great beer! The Kona coffee flavors in this one are incredible! The macadamia nuts and coconut add depth and complexity making for a wonderful porter experience. Wish I had stocked up on this one. Greg, if you're reading this, please brew this again and put it into regular production! Highly recommended!

07-22-2012 07:38:09 | More by Sideswipe
TheJollyHop

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a silky black with a quarter inch of head. Lacing is a beautiful dark brown.

Smells of intense coffee. Much akin to my morning cup of coffee, only colder. Hints of milk chocolate sweetness (creamer) are present as well.

Exceptionally thin, smooth mouthfeel. Feels of velvety chocolate, tastes of coffee with kiss of bitterness at the end. Roasted notes are evident along with a alcohol warming sensation. Some sweet molasses comes through at the end. Low carbonation, definitely a dessert beer.

Overall, alcohol lowers drinkability slightly. I probably wouldn't have noticed the coconut and macadamias had I not been trying to look for those flavors. Nevertheless, a nice beer to pair with a tart dessert.

11-14-2009 04:37:31 | More by TheJollyHop
Xul

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with one finger of mocha colored head that quickly recedes, leaving only hints of lacing. Held to the light, a ruby tint comes through on the edges, providing enough light to see carbonation bubbling up.

S: As soon as the bottle was opened, a wave of coffee smell comes bursting forth. Once in the glass, the coffee is still dominant but is joined by chocolate, vanilla, and roasted nuts with some oak-like hints. The nutty scent really comes forward as the beer warms.

T: Coffee is still strong, but the vanilla really comes through with the nuts and coconut being noticeable, albeit subdued. Very little in the way of hops, but the coffee provides enough bitterness to achieve an excellent balance. As a whole it leans slightly towards sweetness, but without ever getting anywhere near cloying.

M: Somewhat creamy, but ends up a bit on the thin side. I'm not looking for outright chewiness but I could've gone for a bit more viscosity.

D: The ABV is well hidden and as the beer progresses, the coffee's dominance receds to create a well-blended array of flavors. A pleasure to drink and if not for it's rarity would be easy to drink several of in a sitting.

It's hard to say if it lived up to the hype and hoarding that preceded it, but I can safely say it's a great beer and my favorite of the Stone collaboration beers thus far. Had I not stumbled upon a couple bottles I don't think it would've been worth the effort of trading or going all over town for, but I'm certainly glad I had the opportunity to try it and look forward to seeing how it evolves over the next few months.

12-03-2009 06:43:41 | More by Xul
foogerd

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

A- pours dark as night with a one inch coffee colored head
S- damn thats alot of coffee! tons of freshly ground coffee beans vanilla coconut flakes and some milk flavors as well.
T- the coffee comes up right away along with a nuttiness and vanilla coconut flavors i get some strange acidic notes at the end which disturbs the flavor for me i dont know where its coming from.
M- loved the feel perfectly portly
D- not exactly sessionable but really delicious
I must say the sourness did turn me off a bit but in a way it did meld with the other flavors its a kind of tartness from the coffee so if you know what i mean and this doesnt bother you go out and try for yourself at least once.

08-23-2010 23:51:42 | More by foogerd
dmsohyea

07-03-2013 23:32:52 | More by dmsohyea
Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.