Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

Ratings: 324 | Reviews: 233
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A midweek beer to celebrate the vanquishing of a foe that was my bane for some time. Consumed on 9/24/2009 and poured into my Russian River tulip. All Shall Fall couldn't have come at a better time. The beer pours black into my glass with a creamy one inch light brown head. The head exhibits nice retention, eventually retreating into a small lingering froth above the ebony elixir. Scattered lacing clings to the glass.

I was somewhat wary of this beer when I saw that the first word of the title is a brand of coffee. I'm happy to report that at 58 degrees Fahrenheit, coffee is very well integrated in the nose. The coffee doesn't smell overly roasted and acrid, like so many other coffee porters/stouts. It's reminiscent of a light black coffee. I find the coconut to be blatant in the aroma. I've never before experienced toasted coconut, but I imagine it would be similar to the coconut I smell here. There is a faint nuttiness in here, though I can't swear that it's macadamia (although it might be). There's a pleasantly low level of roast, low sweetness, and no apparent alcohol. This smells great.

The flavor opens up with bittersweet and robust coffee. The coffee character is pretty strong and somewhat surprising considering its balance in the aroma. It's overshadowing until midpalate when it begrudgingly defers to toasted coconut, rich dark chocolate, and a faint nuttiness. The finish is extremely long, recapitulating each flavor I experienced. My palate is left with lingering coffee and coconut.

Though the coffee was strong in the flavor, I think it's important to emphasize that it never attained the irritable and all too common level of overly roasted and acrid that I find prevalent in coffee beer. It was initially powerful but it did yield to other flavors in a timely fashion.

The beer is full bodied with low medium carbonation and a near perfect creamy mouthfeel. This is reminiscent of Maui Coconut Porter, but better. Well done, Ken Schmidt. This was a good idea, a nice refreshing glass of crisp beer on a day like this. Just the job!

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured a very deep brown almost black with a nice tan head Nose is cocoa, coffe and light coconut. The tase of this beer did a complete 180 from 50 degrees and thhenn to room temp. Bigger cococnut when cold but as it warms up the coffee and everything really comes alive! Creamy with Macadamia being very, very subtle.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at John's Marketplace during my last trip out to Portland.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and decent lacing. The nose on this beer is pretty interesting, and it seemed to improve and change as it warmed in my glass. Initially, I thought the beer was dominated by an intense coffee ground aroma, with some noticeable black chocolate in the background. However, as the beer warmed, I also got some nutiness, black cherry, milk duds and dried pipe tobacco. The aroma profile in this beer is pretty attracive. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose in a moderately sweet flavor package. There is also a hint of hoppy bitterness in the finish, which is an attractive addition. Mouthfeel is no more then medium bodied, and the beer finishes pretty well. Alcohol is generally well disguised, and drinkability is quite good. In fact, this beer has a depth of flavor I don't see too often in a porter, and it added to the beers enjoyability.

Not sure this beer is/was so good that I'd want to plop down another $7 for a 12 ounce bottle, but nevertheless, this was a solid, very enjoyable porter. Interesting stuff.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

I sometimes find beers this flat and opaque to be a little drab - unfortunately, this is one of those times. To be fair though, the beer does deserve some credit as it happens to be of a shade of black that honestly must trump all other shades of black; the chances of light getting past this thing are as good as me ever owning the Dallas Cowboys.

Upon hearing of this combination of flavours I figured the macadamia and coconut might be overrun by the coffee; indeed, the first few sniffs support that inclination. It is smokey, it is bitter, it is - in no uncertain terms - very coffee-esque. Fortunately, there is at least a sparing amount of baker's chocolate that goes with it.

With a name that boasts coffee, macadamia nut and coconut in it, I think it's only fair to expect something a little extra tasty. That this is flavourful is never, even for an instance, in doubt. However, that it is sensually titillating or heavenly delicious is likely dependent on its taster. For my palate, this is too full of roast and grain to be considered decadent.

In other words, I think this beer sounds more delicious than it actually is. You'd assume for every added ingredient there'd be an added flavour or texture, but this is disappointingly one-dimensional; the coconut and macadamia are but flies that surround the smokey, bitter coffee roast that is the elephant. I just wish I could be tasting more of them.

This beer is otherwise a very serviceable porter. It is uniquely rich and, although it may not make a full dessert in and of itself, I can only imagine what a sinfully indulgent treat it would be if only I had some worthy sweets or fresh berries to pair with it. Warming has proved to unchain both of the nutty flavours, but it's too little too late (and still too acrid).

The more variety and the greater diversity in the market, the greater incentive there is to be different. For a time, that was easy for Stone to do. Since then, however, they've helped spawn a new generation of talented, creative brewers that have exemplified and realized their vision of a world with bold, arrogant, distinguished beers.

And so perhaps a Coffee/Macadamia/Coconut beer was the only way left to be different, but is the point of being creative just to be creative? Rightly or wrongly, I expected more from this beer. I'll admit: had it of excluded the full ingredients list from its name I likely would have scored it higher... but I'd still of enjoyed it just the same.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally found one of these elusive creatures, but pricey at 9 dollars for a 12 oz bottle.
Pours a solid black with a two finger mocha head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of fudge, chocolate and coffee mostly. Slight dark fruit in the background. Traces of vanilla and alcohol round out the nose. I don't pick up any coconut or macadamia in the aroma. Taste is coffee and dark chocolate up front, bitter roast that melds into coconut, finishing semi dry with a long lingering roasted grain and coconut finish. Creamy sticky mouthfeel, thick body with a semi dry finish, light carbonation. I really enjoyed this one. I was a little nervous because I really hate coconut, but its subtle enough in here that I could actually appreciate it and I think it works really well.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz received as a great quick turnaround trade with AndrewK.. Thanks Andrew!! Sharing with Brenda.. Mine is poured into my Delirium goblet.

1/2" tan head.. no real lacing.. the cap is pretty flimsy.. the brew is pretty much black.

Nose is pretty much a pretty good American Porter.. I'm not getting anything that resembles coconut or macadamia nut.

I am really digging this one.. but I still don't really pick out the coconut or the macadamia nuts.. just a nice coffee porter.. nice coffee element mixes well with the dark malts.. a bit of sorta lactose sweetness..

Great body and carbonation... I like this one, but don't get any of the "collaboration" aspects of this beer other than the coffee.

Thanks Andrew.. another fantastic trade.

3.5/4/4/4/4

Very dark brown with mahogany edges and a thin, light brown cap of fine bubbles. Good head retention with a bit of sticky lace clinging to the glass. It smelled sweet and nutty as soon as the bottle was cracked, roasty with mild coffee, a bit of toasted coconut. Fairly bitter from the combination of roast, hops, chocolate and coffee. Flavours of dark chocolate, toffee, malted milk, creamy and nutty with slight alcohol. Lingering coffee bitterness and macadamia nuts. Medium to full bodied with a nearly creamy texture and light warmth. Pretty good for a big porter. I found the coconut to be fairly subtle compared to the nuts and coffee, but everything came together nicely.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

12 oz bottle, big thanks to mikedashg for sending this my way.

Pours a mostly clear dark reddish brown, some black away from the light, thick tan head forms and settles down to a thin ring around the glass, no real lacing.

Smell is nice, nice caramelized sugar sweetness, vanilla and coffee roast, chocolate, brown sugar, light nuttiness, more coffee roast and vanilla in the aroma, but a lot of richness and quite nice, light fruitiness and a touch of alcohol.

Taste is similar, creme brulee like sweetness up front, very caramelized, brown sugar, vanilla, nuts, a bit of chocolate and coffee roast, raisins, alcohol, a little rough in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, nice flavours but I found it a little harsh. I dig this stuff but just a little too muddled. Thanks Mike!

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours black, looks like a stout. Smell, something else going on besides coffee, but doesn't jump out as immediately identifiable.

Taste, this is the most aggressive coffee beer I've ever had. Like there is coffee, and you can tell this is some high end ultra rocket fuel type of coffee. Somewhat mutes the toasted/burnt? coconut/nuts feel to the beer. Coffee really dominates.

Maintains consistency, you wish you had more, but its not the kind of beer you're going to pound a bunch down.

2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - A near black pour with a large, dark tan head.

S - Coffee and some Chocolate.

T - Dirt and coffee, also a slight metal taste.

D - Oily, but good carbonation.

O - I don't know if there was something wrong with this bottle, but it did not taste right.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The 12oz bottle cost $6.99 in Ft Collins.

This pours a very dark brown with some red tints and a 2 finger head of tannish foam. The foam is shrinking slowly leaving some good lacing.

The smell is roasty with notes of chocolate, toffee, some sweet malt, and by gawd, I can smell a buttload of coffee.. A nice balance between bitter and sweet. Alcohol is kind of in the picture too.

The taste is malty with some good sweet notes and roasted malt, some bittersweet chocolate, tasty fesh coffee like flavours, and a note or 2 of vanilla. It's very tasty and thank goodness for that as there's a pretty strong presence of the alcohol.

I call this full bodied with a subdued amount of carbonation that results in a great mouthfeel.

Drinkability? The alcohol is noticeable so that'll hold down the score for me more than a bitt. That being said, I really like what's going on with this beer. Super tasty, great mouthfeel, and easy on the eyes. A firm thumbs up from yours truly.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle, $6.99 each in OH but at that price I was lucky that this one was a gift (thanks Corey!). The beer is dark brown and opaque, just a little red translucence at the bottom of the glass, 1.5 fingers of light tan foam. I get a lot of coffee in the first whiff but not so overpowering as to mask the coconut in subsequent sniffs. The coffee overwhelms most other flavors but does allow some malty sweetness to squeak through. Really well put together, this is as balanced as it can be while being mostly bitter, if you're in the mood for coffee you'll be really happy with this beer. The body is thicker than most porters, maybe on par with a Baltic Porter.

Very very good, probably my favorite of the Stone triple collaborations so far. But really the $6.99 price tag per 12oz bottle is a bit ridiculous. Not worth 2x the price of Founders Breakfast Stout or even 1.5x Peche Mortel, but still satisfying as a 1-time beer.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours dark brown with about a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is very nice, it smells like coffee, coconut, roasted malt, chocolate and some nuts. The taste is the same as the aroma, with a great mix between the sweet and bitter flavors (although I do think the bitter flavors are stronger than the sweet ones). There's also a slight lingering bitter coffee finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's thicker than most porters, not that I'm complaining! It's rich and coating, and has above average carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, but it would be hard to drink more than a couple bottles of this at a time. The alcohol isn't noticable in the taste, although it does hit you after a while. I think this is a good overall brew, if you get a chance you should definitely try this one.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I got to try this earlier thanks to Joe (Ineedabeerhere) and Shane(HopHead84), and now, thanks to the very kind John and Chris, I have bottles to contemplate in their entirety while listening to Ensiferum's From Afar

The pour is black, with a dense brown head with excellent retention and some lace. Reddish brown highlights are apparent as well.

A great coffee character kicks things off, with a clean, medium roast character with low bitterness and a bright acidity. Coconut is present in quite a copious amount as well, and the intoxicating macadamia nut character brings to mind something I never thought I'd smell in a beer. Back home in India, at one of my friend's place, I'd occasionally have lunch where one of the featured items on the menu was dried red chili peppers soaked in yogurt for a while and deep fried in coconut oil. Not spicy in the least, I'm quite amazed by the semblance. That said - this beer delivers on all fronts - a great coffee character, a ton of coconut and a distinct nuttiness, all beautifully balanced. The base porter, while great with a mild bitterness and roast character, with some cocoa, isn't obtrusive in the least. Thoroughly enjoyable, it's definitely the best Stone collaboration beer that I've had yet.

Opening up with plenty of coffee, the other adjuncts added do affect the way I perceive the coffee, it seems medium-light in roast with a mild citrus character and a touch of refreshing acidity. Soon, though, the coconut really does take over, and I have to admit that I haven't tasted such a coconuty beer ever. Thoroughly natural, it is rich and deep with a great coconut meat flavor as well as a distinct coconut oil character. I can't say that I get huge macadamia nut character, it's not as noticeable as on the nose. That said, it's still present, noticeable, with the characteristic nutty sweetness of macadamias. Astringency is low, but that's not surprising given the character of the nut. All told, this is one beer where I welcome the novelty of the adjuncts overwhelming the relative simplicity of the base beer. While ample, I think the brewers made a good decision by keeping it simple - moderate chocolate, low bitterness, moderate roast, low hop character - and allowing their vision of what a balanced coffee-coconut-macadamia nut beer should taste like come through.

On the heavier side of light with moderate carbonation, this is great stuff. The finish is quite exceptional, really, with beautifully balanced coffee and coconut with just a touch of macadamia nut, and just enough bitterness to balance out the flavor of the fleshy coconut. I'm absolutely enjoying this bottle, and I have to ask myself - what if this beer met a bourbon barrel?

2.71/5  rDev -34.2%

Thanks to GRG1313 for the generous extra. Served in my DT tulip. Pours black with a quarter inch tan-colored head that quickly disperses into a sudsy skim. Nose smells like vegetal garbage, coffee grounds, dark malt and sour fruit. Taste expresses, sour/tart fruit and vegetal coffee - really quite awful and unpleasant. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a prickly carbonation and a semi-dry, slightly chalky finish. Well, this was a terrible beer. My first drain pour of the new year, and in some time for that matter. Not sure if it was infected or just didn't age well, but extremely disappointing considering the expectations I had based on the name.

Let me start off by admitting that I bought this because I knew it was very limited and thought I might not get a chance to try it if I passed. I don't really even like coffee beers and I wondered why this was so expensive until I realized they used Kona coffee which is costly. The color was solid black, short head, looks like a porter. The smell was overwhelming coffee but in a great way, very nice. The flavor was more of the same and while my friend said he could taste the coconut, all I got was delicious coffee and a hint of a porter hiding in the back. I'm starting to realize that its not that I don't like coffee beers, I don't like bad coffee beers. Overall this was still a little to costly for my tastes but this was a solid beer from Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 10-25-2009 23:01:34

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of paulxqx poured into a tulip.

Pours dark brown out of the bottle and sits almost completely black in the glass with no light showing through. There's a big off-white head that hangs around as a cap and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma has lots of dark roasted malts and burnt espresso. There is definitely more than a hint of coconut in the nose as well.

The taste is really nice, very complex. It's got the initial sweetness of the coconut and dark chocolate before the dark roasted malts take over. The coffee in the taste is much more well-integrated with the other flavors and doesn't take on the burnt character that I got in the nose.

The mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth with good carbonation and full-bodied. Dessert-like overall mouthfeel.

I love this beer and I might put it a slight notch above the Maui Coconut - one of the better beers I've tasted recently.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

Pours a clear dark brown color with a light tan head. Roasted coffee aroma, black burnt malts. Dark caramel and coffee flavor with a substantial tart fruitiness midpalate, mild toasted coconut. Modest chocolatiness. Full oily body; rich and smooth. Not a big coconut fan (hate the stuff actually) but this was pretty solid.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Didn't wanna drop $7 on a single of this but I guess I did since it would be a one time only experience. Appearance was very weak, might have to do with the nuts? Poured a very dark brown almost black with a one finger fizzy head that died instantly, sounded like champagne. No topping or ring on the beer to speak of. No retention or lacing = eh. Smell was awesome here. Coconuts, coffee, nuts, roasted malts. The nutty aspect of the nose was very strong and by far my favorite part of the beer. The taste was good but it ended up fading to straight up nut. Hints of coconut, coffee and roasted malts. Also got some cocoa along the way. Mouthfeel is also weak on this beer. A tiny bit of cream but mostly watery with some warming. Coat of nutty flavor left in the mouth with appropriate carbonation. A bit more thickness would have been very nice. Drinkability is also weak. The taste is good but not good enough for $7 and it seemed to end up just tasting like straight up nuts and the balance was lost. The off mouthfeel also impacted the experience.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

477th review on BA
Bottle to tulip

Shared between GuruDel & ChurginDS before our SD road trip.

App- A gorgeous lucious brown with a nice 1 finger head to it. A little lace slides down the glass.

Smell- Opens nicely with some sweet flavors of malts, and of course the coconut. It has some duality of malts, with some roasted notes and even some burnt malts. The coffee notes were very tame.

Taste- Taste follows the nose almost to a T. The beer is very multi-layered and quite easy to slam it back, takes some control not to just pound the glass.

Mouth- Medium bodied but almost light, would have liked a little fuller feel. Medium carbonated as well.

Drink- I would like to drink this in the AM vs coffee if it was allowed. So tasty, easy to drink and flavorful. Well done collaboration.

3.74/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Big thank you to Black13 for this long time want and all the other great beers!

Appearance. Pours a deep dark brown, pretty much black in the glass with 2 fingers of light tan head.

Smell. Slightly sour coffee and sweet nuts with dark malts and a bit of caramel.

Taste. Big coffee, again slightly sour and a little bit metalic. Dark malts follow with some nice nutty flavour in the finish. No booze to speak of.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, maybe a little lighter and medium+ carbonation.

Overall. A great Hawaiian combination going on here. Not the best coffee flavour I've tasted in a beer but a fun brew and so happy to finally have tried it. Thanks again Black13!

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this up at 99 Bottles. Not sure it will be available at home. As it turns out the bottle won't make it home as I am enjoying it on my last night in Seattle.

Dark, dark brown... like a deep root beer. In fact darker. Like French roast coffee the more I think about it. Thin tan head forms and quickly recedes. There is small amount of lacing that remains.

My God this smells exactly like Founders Breakfast or Peche Mortel. Coffee, boozy, wonderful..

Well my first comment is that I don't taste any coconut. Strong, smooth wonderful coffee/espresso flavor. Some vanilla and I would almost say it tastes barrel aged. I don't think it is. This is really growing on me as I enjoy the bottle. Dark roasted notes linger with a slight nuttiness, but I would have never guessed macadamia nuts.
At the end I can definitely sense the abv, but it's not "hot" It works.

Semi bold and thick body, oily slick and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and I hope I can find more at home. I really like this.

Well done!

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Pours a nice dark black hue with a small mocha head. Lite retention with spotty lace.

S: Aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate mostly.

T: Dark roasted malt, bitter chocolate with notes of fudge. The middle is dominated by bold coffee. A touch of coconut comes through in the finish.

M: Medium in body, good carbonation.

D: Good. Pretty good beer I was expecting a bit more to be honest. Could use a bigger blast of coconut to really push it overthetop.

3.02/5  rDev -26.7%

I was expecting more considering the pedigree of the brewers and the high price of the bottle ($10). Thne nose is the main issue as it smelled burnt and almost vegetal in nature . I expected a luscious impy porter nose but had to struggle past the smell with each sip. The beer is quite bitter with intense coffee notes almost like a iced coffee had been mixed in with the porter. The nuts really showed up in the finish as the beer warmed up but the beer seemed a little confused in focus because of all the ingredients. Would age help , I don't know because I doubt the nose will improve.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Reviewed on 12/11/2009. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts, coffee, bitter roasted malt, and a touch of coconut too. Flavor of sweet roasted malt, residual sugars and lactose initially with a bitter roasted malt finish. Pretty tasty and quite drinkable. This one lived up to my expectations.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing Co.