Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

(Beer added by: northaustin on 02-13-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 Alström Bros

Lawnboy33, Nov 14, 2011

BigV, Jul 03, 2014

GrindFatherBob, Dec 14, 2011

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

THANK GOD! My Kroger store got some Old Guardian in. None at all last year, and that was after I'd purchased an Old Guardian glass. Now, I can give my glass a proper christening.

Pours a deep amber, but mahogany against a dark background, and more like fruit juice (cherry) when held up to the light. Almost transparent. Towering light-tannish head from a pour into the bottom of the glass. Almost no lacing.

BIG aroma of syrupy malt and flowery hops. Some wonderful caramel, dark fruits, and citrus as well.

Sweet malt up front with some light bitterness that quickly grows and becomes stronger and more floral before settling down to a nice laaastiiing bitterness in the end. A bit of heartburn (and gutburn) from the ABV.

The brew clings nicely to the tongue enhancing the flavor retention. Syrupy, but not overly sticky.

I suppose the drinkability is hampered by the 11.3% ABV, but then, who can really complain about that?

I know this is rated on the high side, but I really love this beer! The '08 version (not reviewed) was my favorite beer of all time (for nearly 2 years) until I sampled Firestone 13, but this one equals the Firestone in my estimation. The only beer I've rated higher is DFH The Flying Mouflan. Perhaps that was a mistake.

obywan59, Jun 05, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this barley wine, this is the reason for my love of the style. Can never get enough. The taste is typical stone with the mighty hop presence that give way to delicious roasted barley then the alchohol burn. Pour this beauty straight into a snifter on release date or cellar it for years and watch how it changes. Hops fall out and the flavors just meld into pure enjoyment.

pumptrick, Oct 31, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

A - Red and golden body, off white head with some lacing

S - this smells sweet as hell, fruity with scent of apple lingering.

T - smooth hoppy bitterness with an amazing warmness to it. not too boozy which is surprising for 11%

M - the feel is where the alcohol can be felt. thick but not too thick. dry but not too dry. i loved the medium amount of carbonation

D - the alcohol hits you which makes me want more haha

stylinprofiylin, Dec 14, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

This is a great beer; combines the best characteristics of beer, liquor and wine.

This is one of the only Stone brews I've seen with significant Haze. An orange-red amber that sports a long-lasting, creamy head with bubbles of various sizes.

The aroma says barrel-aged - very vinous. The taste has significant alcoholic warmth with a strong malt and hop presence. Great balance. Doesn't succumb to the sweetness that kills some Barleywines.

If I drown, I hope I drown in Old Guardian.

MatthewPatthew, Dec 28, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance - Cloudy, ruby red, and brown, little bit of a white head. It is hard to see through this one. Looks awesome.

Smell - Various fruits and bread. I love the way barely wines smell.

Taste - Almost an apricot flavor, with other darker fruits. Get a little bitterness from the hops and small hint of the alcohol on the tail end. Amazing flavor, and very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - pretty thick and syrupy like most good barley wines, with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Drink - I am taking my time with it, it is very rich, plus the high ABV. Something you want to take your time and enjoy for sure.

I am not sure when this bottle was brewed. I see some people really talking about the hops being crazy, but the hops are pretty mellow in this bottle. It says limited early 2010 release so I assume it has several months on it. It's drinking really well right now, as far as barley wines go I'd put it right below Doggie Claws which is one of my favorites. I saw two bottles of this at the store the other day and passed them over. I am glad I went back for this tonight, the other one had been sold.

yuriruley, Oct 09, 2010

SoCal_Guardian, Jan 29, 2013

chrisxmartin, Nov 05, 2012

xJMFCx, Jun 07, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a globe glass, little by little.
Listening to Grateful Dead, Peggy-O; Attics of My Life; Ramble on Rose, Ripple

A: The appearance of the 2010 is a copperish amber, with a thick haziness. Good head retention with mediocre lacing.

S: The aroma of this barleywine is fresh, bitter hops with a touch of malt sweetness.

T: The taste is one that lingers, a nice warming finish. Bright spice of hops with a smooth malt character. As the ale warms, it shows a blend of caramel sweetness.

M: Creamy with a pepper beer like off taste. Full bodied and brings different flavors to the palate as it releases.

D: Ah. . . a slow sipper, my type of beer to drink on special occasions. A beer that has you coming back for small sips, to savor the flavors, but not only that but the off tastes as well.

Notes: The Stone OG 2010 is a great ale, not only for the stellar style, but the balance of this barleywine is perfect. Great hops, malt and overall craving for more. Great to sit down and give this barleywine the attention it deserves on BA. Because if you are ever wondering to try this brew, go for it . A co-worker at the liquor I work at, and I were talking and he said he felt like beer, but thought he would just go and get a bottle of wine. This is when I recommended the OG 2010. I said thats who I am taking home and he joined another bottle with his wine, we will see how it plays out.

GDBEERMAN, May 01, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

From 22 oz. Bottle into Old Guardian Glass.

A: Reddish brown color. Slight filmy head after pour and slight lacing.

S: Caramel, toffee, cherry, floral and pine hops. Sweet malty smell as well.

T: cherry wood, malts, pine, bit of alcohol but is a barleywine so its to be expected.

M: Smooth creamy goodness. Hop oils stick in your mouth for a while.

D: Its a sipper for sure.

Hershdawg, Feb 26, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a clear reddish amber with slight carbonation, a creamy head, and tons of lacing, and a slight bit of unfiltered goodness.

S- Definite hop aroma. Pine and citrus. Floral hops as well, and some slight fruit.

T- Bitter hops are pretty front and center in this one. The malt is very minimal but it does play a good part in keeping it from being just a simple hop bomb. There is a ton of pine flavor in this, and I noticed some grapefruit as well. There's a lot of caramel malt that doesn't get in the way of the hops one bit. If I haven't given it away yet the hops are the focus of this beer. For a barleywine, I'd expect more of a malt presence, but I don't think it's a flaw to have a hop heavy beer. The citrus and biscuit flavors in this are so subtle in comparison to the hops and I'm not even drinking it all that fresh either.

M- Full bodied, creamy, and smooth. I love how unintrusive the carbonation is while still complimenting the drink. Leaves a slightly sticky, although not dry, finish.

D- This is really 11.1%?! It is beyond easy to drink. There are a lot more 7% drinks with less ABV presence than this. The only way it's noticable is the heat as it goes down. I found this to be easier to drink than I ever expected a barleywine to be. Just the right amount of hops for bitterness, but not so much as to slow you down. You need to watch yourself with this one.

BBP, Dec 10, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Amber orange red, no head no lace.

S - Almost sweet apricot and alcohol, not sure about hops or malty'ness.

T - Hot and apricot mixed with slight malts of some sort. Slight aftertaste but not too much.

M - Medium fizzy/body, kinda easy drinking for a barley wine but then again its heavy.

D - Drinks great for a BW but I expect a little more almost.. maybe I like the black BW more out of sierra nevada now. This was a alltime favorite, but does it change every year or is this the same recipe as previous years? Thumbs up but kinda expensive ($8).

SDtastentune, Nov 21, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

pours a cloudy copper orange color with spare white head and spare lacing. soft carbonation. very sweet and tart, citrus hints in the flavor, seems to be very sugary. medium body and long flavor duration. tart chalky and bitter finish. absolutley fantatsic brew. stone definitely knows how to make a fine brew. highly recommend.

berpwillie, May 26, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a burgundy(still see through) with a healthy head and okay retention.

The smell unfolds with a ton of hop resins, very dank to say the least. ALso in the mix is a trace of alcohol and lots of malt sweetness and boozey fruits.

The hop resins play against a super-sweet balancing act. This flavor is a beast! the hop presence is very strong, and there is some definate warmth on the alcohol laced follow through.

This brew has a medium full body with ample carbonationn. THe hop oils make the feel a bit slippery.

Goes down nicely despite the high alcohol content. THis one is still very young though, and I imagine it will only improve and mellow with time. I suppose I should lay a few down seeing as though Stone is supposedly changeing the recipe after this year.

bonsreeb85, Mar 22, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into snifter. Pours a hazy dark amber. Small amount of quickly disappearing head. Nice lacing. Aroma is of hops, wet sour smell, wet hay. Mouthfeel is slightly grainy. Taste is of hops, dry, slightly bitter. It stays with you. Flavor makes me picture a hot, sunny day on a midwestern farm. This is my #2 barleywine and one of my favorite Stone brews.

surprenant1138, Mar 26, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Atyoungberg, Feb 16, 2012
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 from Stone Brewing Co.