Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

Beer added by: northaustin on 02-13-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

In the bottle this smells like an old tire yard in the mid day Summer sun but develops a nice complex perfume in the glass. Cooled and carefully poured, this had a cloudy deeply concentrated orange core with some unusual pockets of faded paleness towards the bottom of the glass. Thin head, almost off white with a fairly faintly light yellowish tinge. Very little carbonation, almost none at all. Fat silky body with a slight volatile fizzy end before leading a uniform and long but not overly challenging boozy bitterness. A pretty pumped up inflatedness which brings bigness at the expense of individuality and complexity.

Decent but a bit clumsy and not surprisingly unchallenging. A bit of a disappointment really. Maybe my expectations were too high but this certainly does not to be what I would expect from Stone.

3.6/5  rDev -13%

A: Poured gently into chalice. Color is hazy reddish brown. Half finger of big-bubbled head that evaporated within a couple of minutes and left a ring. Traces of lacing remain on the glass.

S: Smells like drunk raisins and bread.

T: The first flavor to show up in my mouth is the bitter taste of hops. They landed at the very back of my throat as soon as the liquid entered my mouth. Then the raisiny sweetness passes by and the hops re-appear in the finish. I'm not surprised, since it is a Stone product, but it's a bit different from most barleywines I've enjoyed.

M: It's got the expected barleywine richness, but leads itself to slightly on the syrupy side of thickness.

D: I would drink it again, but not in one sitting. This might have been better saved for a more wintery evening than tonight is.

3.61/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a nice full, rosy head. Beer itself is a clear amber.

Smell has a certain hoppy citrus feel to it. Although somewhat muted, it does have a hop presence that breaks through.

First sip is a quick snap of sweetness mixed in with a very sharp hop bitterness, brought together with a nice malt body. The flavor is nice because, although very up and in your face at the beginning, the after-taste mellows out to leave a crisp hop finish.

As barleywines go, this tends towards the more hop-filled, yet at the same time leaving in enough sweetness to keep it from becoming too overly bitter.

A good beer, but not my favorite in the genre.

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%

I had this last year and thought it was a great beer. Unsurprisingly, they upped the ante and made an even better brew with the 2010 vintage. I have had at least 5 bottles of this, and it is consistently good. The hop aroma is top notch with pines, needles, sticky icky grapefruits, and a coying and large malt. Taste is mostly bitters, but the abv shines through and makes it taste very high class. I expect 2011 to be even better, but I wonder how they will pull it off...

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Picked this bottle up at Capone's. Poured into a Bruery tulip. Split with Amyliz4 and her dad after some Thanksgiving leftovers.

The color is a bright peach with a single-finger white head that doesn't stick around too long but leaves a bit of ringy lacing and some extra bubbles around the edges of the glass. The nose is caramel, cherry, sweet malt, honey, and some alcohol. The hops aren't there like I remember in earlier vintages of this brew. There is some slight citrus, I suppose.

The flavor brings some nice sweetness and adds in quite a bit of booze compared with the nose. There is some slight cherry and a bit of toffee. The booze is quite prevalent and heavy at this point. Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Drinks fairly well but is a bit boozy at this point and I'd like to sit on a bottle for at least another year.

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a hazy reddish brown with a very nice one finger off white head with good retention, moderate lacing on the glass.

Aroma of malt, citrus and some pine.

The hop bitterness hits your taste buds hard at first then the malt smooths the taste. There is also hints of grapefruit and caramel.

Mouthfeel is a smooth medium to full body with moderate carbonation. It is very surprising that this is a 11.1 % ABV beer, the alcohol is very well masked.

This is a nice barley wine beer, it may even get better with a little age.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

I haven't had a brew by Stone that I haven't at least appreciated. Their pale ale and basic IPA were dull in comparison to Arrogant Bastard (including the oaked version) and Ruination IPA. Both of those brews changed my opinion of craft brews and especially highly hopped beers. That being said, this is a barleywine, a style I am not a huge fan of, but still appreciate the subtle nuances of the style.

A: Translucent amber hue with virtually no head and some minimal lacing. Looks like your typical barley wine.

S: Hops, pine, and some mild fruit hit the nose. I can definitely tell this is a Stone concoction simply because of how prominent the hops are in this brew. That's certainly not a bad thing by any means.

T: Mildly sweet and quite hoppy, which of course, isn't a surprise considering the brewer. Well balanced, but hops still peek out more so than any other nuance. Considering this a really hoppy barleywine, it still finishes crisp and smooth with no unusual or overly bitter ending.

M: My 3.0 rating on this one is indicative of the style, not necessarily this actual beer itself. I personally prefer higher carbonation level in most of my beers, but do note that this one is totally true to style. That being said, this one has some mild carbonation, and oiliness due to hops and and moderate mouthfeel. First few sips almost felt slightly watered down, but after several more, I realize that is not correct. This is a moderately full brew in comparison to other barleywines I've had.

D: As always, Stone's brews always hide their ABV very well, but of course any brew pushing over 11% is going to catch up at some point, I don't care if you have alcohol running through your veins instead of blood; this one will still overwhelm you after a few. Still, one of the better barleywines I have had, and reasonably drinkable. Not a session, but a good sipper and probably a great night cap.

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

I'm pretty new to barleywines so i dont have too much to compare to but here it is.

A- pours deep amber/red/orange. gigantic head that leaves good amount of lacing.

S- strong on the sweetness with a rush of hops and fruit toward the middle and end. medium booze taste at the end. pretty tasty

T- very sweet upfront that turns bitter in the middle that ends with a bitter lingering.

M- small carbonation bubbles feel nice, sweetness/bitterness make me pucker a tiny bit. medium/heavy feel on the tongue.

D- definately drinkable, flavors are good, decent mouthfeel.

22oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is dark amber to almost copper in color. I got about an inch of tan head.

S - I get a sweet malty molasses aroma.

T - The taste is malty and sweet. It finishes with an unpleasant bitterness.

M - Medium mouthfeel and oily slick

O - I don't like the hop profile in this one. I love the mouthfeel and the ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a small but fluffy biege head. The lace isn't bad, a few chunks hang onto the side.
Peaty malts and citrus dominate the smell. There is some background pine and caramel with only a hint of alcohol.
Malts and hops cascade into a pretty unique combo, which is both interesting and slightly off-putting. Lots of pine and citrus mix with caramel, pear, smoke, brown sugar... Very complex, might taste more put together with age. Thickness and warmth feels nice going down.
All together I have to say that, though I was appreciative of the complexities of this Barleywine, I wasn't truly sold. Might cellar one since they are changing it up in '11.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

A: A foggy copper-amber pour with a nice 2 finger light khaki head leaving a map of lacing down the sides of my Duvel tulip. All Stone products look awesome.
S: Caramel malts, a surprising amount of citrus hops. Brown sugar.
T: Caramel, hops and alcohol battle it out. I'm sure there are other flavors in there somewhere but my palate too busy with these 3 to find out.
M: Full with light carbonation, syrupy more than creamy.
D: It tastes good enough to want to keep drinking, but its a bruiser for sure. Not sure I could handle much more than this bomber.

Wish I could spare the room in my tiny collection to age some.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Maybe stone does change this beer yearly.

Deep amber/red, in finger off white head, a LOT of bubbles, and some lacing.

Fruity, amber malt, finished with sweet citrus hops. Touch of alcohol to finish.

The first taste is honestly of a pale ale/amber, but then the rush of malt comes kicking down the door. Now 9 or so months old the hops are lacking more than expected. I didn't have the 2010 fresh but most years this beer packs a hell of a hop kick for a long time. They still bite at the end but the opening is a touch watery where there should be a powerful hop start.
3.5

One of the most drinkable barely wines I've had and for some reason I like that about this beer. It doesn't have that "sip me" feel so this all works. The 11+% is pretty subdued as well...I expected more given it's under a year old.

It's a bit thin and the carbonation works to emphasize that. I want a touch more body, this is medium heavy vs heavy and far form the syrupy body many barely wines take on.

The best "pizza" barely wine I've had in ages. I recall stone doing a better job in the past, but a fully worthy effort.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 from Stone Brewing Co.