Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Barleywine

Added by northaustin on 02-13-2010

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 335
4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

I love this barley wine, this is the reason for my love of the style. Can never get enough. The taste is typical stone with the mighty hop presence that give way to delicious roasted barley then the alchohol burn. Pour this beauty straight into a snifter on release date or cellar it for years and watch how it changes. Hops fall out and the flavors just meld into pure enjoyment.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Red and golden body, off white head with some lacing

S - this smells sweet as hell, fruity with scent of apple lingering.

T - smooth hoppy bitterness with an amazing warmness to it. not too boozy which is surprising for 11%

M - the feel is where the alcohol can be felt. thick but not too thick. dry but not too dry. i loved the medium amount of carbonation

D - the alcohol hits you which makes me want more haha

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

THANK GOD! My Kroger store got some Old Guardian in. None at all last year, and that was after I'd purchased an Old Guardian glass. Now, I can give my glass a proper christening.

Pours a deep amber, but mahogany against a dark background, and more like fruit juice (cherry) when held up to the light. Almost transparent. Towering light-tannish head from a pour into the bottom of the glass. Almost no lacing.

BIG aroma of syrupy malt and flowery hops. Some wonderful caramel, dark fruits, and citrus as well.

Sweet malt up front with some light bitterness that quickly grows and becomes stronger and more floral before settling down to a nice laaastiiing bitterness in the end. A bit of heartburn (and gutburn) from the ABV.

The brew clings nicely to the tongue enhancing the flavor retention. Syrupy, but not overly sticky.

I suppose the drinkability is hampered by the 11.3% ABV, but then, who can really complain about that?

I know this is rated on the high side, but I really love this beer! The '08 version (not reviewed) was my favorite beer of all time (for nearly 2 years) until I sampled Firestone 13, but this one equals the Firestone in my estimation. The only beer I've rated higher is DFH The Flying Mouflan. Perhaps that was a mistake.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 from Stone Brewing Co.