Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

(Beer added by: northaustin on 02-13-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 Alström Bros

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance - Cloudy, ruby red, and brown, little bit of a white head. It is hard to see through this one. Looks awesome.

Smell - Various fruits and bread. I love the way barely wines smell.

Taste - Almost an apricot flavor, with other darker fruits. Get a little bitterness from the hops and small hint of the alcohol on the tail end. Amazing flavor, and very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - pretty thick and syrupy like most good barley wines, with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Drink - I am taking my time with it, it is very rich, plus the high ABV. Something you want to take your time and enjoy for sure.

I am not sure when this bottle was brewed. I see some people really talking about the hops being crazy, but the hops are pretty mellow in this bottle. It says limited early 2010 release so I assume it has several months on it. It's drinking really well right now, as far as barley wines go I'd put it right below Doggie Claws which is one of my favorites. I saw two bottles of this at the store the other day and passed them over. I am glad I went back for this tonight, the other one had been sold.

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this barley wine, this is the reason for my love of the style. Can never get enough. The taste is typical stone with the mighty hop presence that give way to delicious roasted barley then the alchohol burn. Pour this beauty straight into a snifter on release date or cellar it for years and watch how it changes. Hops fall out and the flavors just meld into pure enjoyment.

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

A - Red and golden body, off white head with some lacing

S - this smells sweet as hell, fruity with scent of apple lingering.

T - smooth hoppy bitterness with an amazing warmness to it. not too boozy which is surprising for 11%

M - the feel is where the alcohol can be felt. thick but not too thick. dry but not too dry. i loved the medium amount of carbonation

D - the alcohol hits you which makes me want more haha

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

This is a great beer; combines the best characteristics of beer, liquor and wine.

This is one of the only Stone brews I've seen with significant Haze. An orange-red amber that sports a long-lasting, creamy head with bubbles of various sizes.

The aroma says barrel-aged - very vinous. The taste has significant alcoholic warmth with a strong malt and hop presence. Great balance. Doesn't succumb to the sweetness that kills some Barleywines.

If I drown, I hope I drown in Old Guardian.

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

THANK GOD! My Kroger store got some Old Guardian in. None at all last year, and that was after I'd purchased an Old Guardian glass. Now, I can give my glass a proper christening.

Pours a deep amber, but mahogany against a dark background, and more like fruit juice (cherry) when held up to the light. Almost transparent. Towering light-tannish head from a pour into the bottom of the glass. Almost no lacing.

BIG aroma of syrupy malt and flowery hops. Some wonderful caramel, dark fruits, and citrus as well.

Sweet malt up front with some light bitterness that quickly grows and becomes stronger and more floral before settling down to a nice laaastiiing bitterness in the end. A bit of heartburn (and gutburn) from the ABV.

The brew clings nicely to the tongue enhancing the flavor retention. Syrupy, but not overly sticky.

I suppose the drinkability is hampered by the 11.3% ABV, but then, who can really complain about that?

I know this is rated on the high side, but I really love this beer! The '08 version (not reviewed) was my favorite beer of all time (for nearly 2 years) until I sampled Firestone 13, but this one equals the Firestone in my estimation. The only beer I've rated higher is DFH The Flying Mouflan. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2010 from Stone Brewing Co.