21st Amendment / Firestone Walker / Stone El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

21st Amendment / Firestone Walker / Stone El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale21st Amendment / Firestone Walker / Stone El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 03-27-2010

Ratings: 238 | Reviews: 154
4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

bottle from awesome girlfriend.. again.
pours VERY dark for the style, I like it. Almost no head, whatsoever. Quick swirl fixes that right up, actually more tha I thought it would.

nose has chocolate, and some woody and nutty in it. Very unique. actually has a bit of the palo santo smell in it.

taste, the only thing I can say at start was odd... it furled my brow. this beer has many phases. on the front there is nuttiness and a lot of anise... no other beer has touched the tip of my tongue like this has. it morphs through fig on the flat with a mild pepper flavor, and ends very dry with another flavor I can not quite put my finger on...

can not even fathom that this is 9.5% I can taste it nowhere.
This is a very unique beer, find it, get it. totally worth the under $3 price tag. Wish I had more.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz single, shipped by lou91

ale brewed with fennel seed, chia seed, pink pepercorns with mission figs added

appearance: served in my delirium chalice, very dark body, huge creamy brown head with creamy retention. nice

smell: rich roasted malts, cocoa, fig, earthy

taste: very strange beer - roasted malts and cocoa mimic a stout profile, bitter piney hops let you know that Stone is involved, a touch smokey, some spice from the peppercorns but not much flavor. I think the fennel gets a little lost in the shuffle but the figs provide a rich sweet flavor accent.

mouthfeel: medium, creamy with decent carbonation, alcohol and hop bitterness in the finish

drinkability: finish is a little rough, but an interesting beer

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into Stone tulip.

A deep black with russett highlights. Mounding head of hot coco froth. No lace. Aroma is roasted, chocolate and cocoa. Nice smooth and full feel. Nice flavor with a delicious long bitter finish like baker's chocolate.

I didn't get the spice hit everyone else is raving on.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours as black as coal in color with a massive creamy/foamy 2 finger tan head that lasted a while and goes down slowly, leaving a creamy residue on top; good foamy lacing that clings to the glass and slides down slowly. This beer has all the makings of a slow sipper as it has the speed of a turtle in all its actions.

Starts off with a really bizarre aroma of floral hops, pepper and fennel; smells of floral hops, pepper, licorice, fennel, coffee beans, cocoa, vanilla, light sweet malt, syrup, dark fruits like dates or raisin (says figs on the bottle but I can't sense them), and maybe even hints of chocolate and sweet booze like a rum or liquor. This is a very complicated and unique nose that is not what I expected, but very, very enjoyable.

Tastes of sweet malt, floral hops, caramel, biscuit or grainy bread, yeast, pepper, licorice, coffee, cocoa, vanilla, syrup or molasses, rum, raisins or other dark fruits, and smoked peat or light burnt wood. I can't say it's a balanced flavor as there is so much going on that my taste buds can't sort out the flavor assault. This reminds me of a barleywine, except that the 9.5% ABV is pretty well hidden and only comes through with hints of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is creamy and light with an almost oily feel on the tongue, with very light carbonation and a body on the heavy side with a chewy feel that leaves off with a slightly dry coffee or cocoa finish.

Good drinkability, it went down easy for such a strong beer. This is definitely a slow sipper because there are almost too many flavors for the brain to register and sort out, so it's worth enjoying at the turtle's pace associated with the head. I recommend try this beer as it is a great collaboration.

Note: It lists China Seeds as an ingredient on the bottle, but since I have no idea what a China Seed tastes or smells like I can't comment on it's participation in this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a dark brown with a finger of tanhead. Some lacing and good head retention. I am probably crazy, but I swear I was smelling oranges. No one else seems to think so, but it did smell like oranges to me. I don't mean this in a bad way, it was nice. Had some roasted malt and hop bitterenss as well. This was almost like a Black IPA, but not quite hoppy enough to be one.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Man, the beers available at Gentile's Wine Shop are pretty sweet. One time I got some Gumball Head... next time Black Chocolate Stout... this time El Camino! I've been hankering to try this one for a few weeks now, and it seems like a great idea now. Here goes some fun pouring it into my twelve ounce snifter.

Appearance
Fantastic two fingers of burnt sugar head develops quite easily. It falls down to a respectable one finger after its sixty seconds of fame. The strong collar of frothy goodness brings me joy as I gaze deeply. It has a moderate amount of lacing, nothing like a heavy stout, but interesting.

The liquid itself is definitely black. I didn't expect anything different, but it should be noted, I suppose. No outer edge hues, just pitch darkness.

Bouquet
Its like a kitchen experiment gone right. At first I smell the peppercorns with great clarity. Behind that, there is a favorable malt profile. Its not caramel, its not bread, but it smells in between those two. The fennel is not present as far as I could noticed, but there was a faint breeze of something on the way out. I'm not exactly sure if its figs, but its fruity nature could be it.

Flavor Profile
Overwhelmingly peppery on the open is instantly distracting and unique. Its outrageously spicy because of this molecule alone.

Following this up are also the faint tingles of raisins. This itself is blurred by the alcohol that perks up halfway through each sip, but quickly dissipates allowing me to move through the final verse.

Fantastic finish! Oh, goodness. I never would have imagined chocolate malts to have been as pronounced as this bad boy. It starts at the tip of the tongue and spreads fully in a pattern reminiscent of melting dark chocolate on my tongue.

Oral Sensations
An undoubtedly full bodied beer here. This bad boy leaves little clues behind on my lips and gums that I pick up on while typing up this review. Its not sticky like syrup, but it mimics the feeling that only humid days can copy. There is a significant lack of creamy or smoothness that would pick this up to a great beer.

Conclusions
This beer is not one to have again, unfortunately. It was fun to try, but its hard to truly enjoy. If too much of the liquid is taken in during a sip, it instantly becomes unpalatable. The alcohol becomes the dominant focus and the pepper is its little crony, nothing else. Its almost like work to drink it at certain moments. However, with the proper methods it is something to try for everyone.

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate, roasted malt and piney hops. The flavor is chocolate, smoke, pine, roasted malt and toasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice strong ale which hides the alcohol very well. Glad I got to try this one.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. Putting Grandaddy's El Caminos in the West on repeat for this beer (seriously, you can't expect me to listen to all of Sumday. That album...not so good).

I was just talking to a bartender at the Brickskeller about this beer a few days ago and that's what motivated me to finally open this. I realize this bottle is a little old now, but I have no idea why she thought this was the best example of a Black IPA/Cascadian whatever the eff Dark Ale.

Color is an extremely dark, opaque brown, near black with a large frothy and bubbly tan head that never fades away and leaves thick streaks of lacing. The aroma is...interesting and doesn't really fit any neat stylistic description. Initially it reminds me of a bowl of potpourri; pulling out some random notes I get: piney hops, licorice, figs, spearmint, anise and a few other notes I can't quite place. It sounds like a mess, but is oddly pleasant and smooth.

Flavor starts by resembling a roasty malty stout before the menagerie of flavors from the nose fight for attention with a dry, light hoppy and peppery spicy finish. Body is medium thick and lightly carbonation fading to a soft smooth aftertaste. There is remarkably little alcohol present, or typically abrasive Stone style hops. Maybe I'm crazy, or it's the age on this, but I'm really enjoying this beer. I need to find a few more of these, which is more than I can say for most of the other Stone collabs.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Served at 55º

A - Pours a rich thick black with a large dense bubbly tan head. Very stout like appearance.

S - Wow. definitely something different going on here. Sweet fig, herbal, roasted coffee and chocolate.

T - Again, really different then the norm here. It's very stout like with it's dark chocolate malt and coffee tastes, but also sweetness, and rich tobacco leather oak as well like a whiskey almost.

M - Moderate carbonation, chocolate finish. Makes you want to go back for more.

D - Very easy drinker for me, and also super complex. It's like a strong ale had copulation with a stout and had a leathery tobacco oak herbal baby. Way to go!

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Big thanks to GoGriz for this bottle!

Another directive from VDubb. Word, son. It pours a stark onyx topped by a half-finger of rather quickly-dissipating ecru foam. The nose comprises dark wheat, Coca-Cola, light roasted malts, maple syrup, and some form of unidentified booziness. I gotta say, this isn't starting out too well. The taste has all of the aforementioned elements, though the booze is decidedly down a few notches, and some chocolate, molasses, fig, and Dr. Pepper (AKA plum, I'm told) notes join in on the fun. It's better, but something's still not entirely copacetic here. The body is a solid medium, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat chalky finish. Overall, a decent collaboration, but I don't think things came together as intended. Still, definitely worth a try if possible.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Roast and rosmary in the aroma. Black with some off-brown head, and lacey. Above-average mouthfeel. Some spice and pepper,a little vanilla, but mainly Coffee taste. Not getting so much of the uniqueness. Decent carbonation. So-so beer, a little disapointing.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honestly, I bought this beer a little blindly - I'd not looked at any reviews or anything. Hell, I didn't even notice it was a black ale. I looked at the ingredient list and assumed it was a saison. Imagine my surprise when I see this ultra-dark liquid pouring into my tulip. Geez. Creamy stout-like head with lots of excellent retention. Clearly, I'm in for more than I bargained for. Oh well. It's open now and I am certainly not going to let it go to waste.

Hmmm, in the aroma I think I do get the fig. Chocolate too...like a chocolate-covered fig if there was such a thing. A little maple. Aroma not that strong at all right out of the fridge, but opens up considerably with a little warming.

For such an odd ingredient list, the taste is not too out of the ordinary. To me, it tastes like a very good, well-made double stout, one without high levels of hop bitterness. Stone without hopping the $hit out of it? Who knew? Carob, chocolate, coffee. A little spiciness that I wouldn't automatically identify with peppercorn, chia seeds or fennel. Honestly, about the most out-of-the-ordinary aspect about this beer I get is a hint of smokiness. It might sound like I'm disparaging the beer, but I'm not - it's very enjoyable and well-made. I'm just not getting a whole lot of unique flavor constituents. I think the fennel and peppercorn come out near the very back-end, if anything.

Feel-wise, I think it makes sense to think of this as a stout. It is rather creamy, smooth and pleasant.

All in all, even though I thought I was getting a saison, this was hardly a chore to drink. I'm almost done with the glass in the time it took me to write this review. The 9%+ ABV isn't that apparent, it's smooth, and it isn't even all that warming. In fact, if I had another bottle, I could easily see myself having another. That by definition is a high drinkability score, isn't it?

4.01/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is my second of the Stone collaboration brews.

Pours very dark with a fine thick head. I love black beers. This one reminds of the Brooklyn Black. The smeel is fairly sweet, almost too sweet, but the sweetest is not nearly as strong in the taste. Although the malt presence is definitely there, it is balanced by a strong hop finish that leaves the mouth filled with coffe and roasted malt flavors.

The malts are pretty comples. It's hard for me to pick out exactly what's in there, but it is interesting.

Highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

A strong ale or not, this looks like a porter or stout, deep impenetrable black, fluffy brown head. On par for a strong beer with figs added.

Really like the dark malt nose with wifs of the abv, plus the figs. The malt is unlike any porter or stout, not as rich which I like, more subdued.

The flavor is even richer, with the figs more defined, and a nice hop finish so there is no sweetness here, just a fine balanced finish.

Good heavyish mouthfeel, the drinkability is great for this strong a beer, a bomber would go down fine. Well done guys, keep up the colaberation, esp these without the regular Stone hops.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Paid $4.50 for a 12oz bottle from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a large snifter to review.

Pours pretty thick and very dark in color. Small tan head dissipates quickly leaving only small traces of retention on the edge of the snifter. Some lacing left behind.

Sweet and roasted malts, tobacco, leather, espresso, dark chocolate, molasses and oak. Robust, balanced and complex in the nose.

Taste is even darker roasted malts than I expected. Reminds me of an imperial stout more than anything. Coffee, oak, dark chocolate, tobacco and leather. Quite nice!

Full bodied and rather creamy; almost chewy. Good carbonation levels. Long finish of roasted maltiness. 9.5% ABV very well hidden which makes this very enjoyable and quite drinkable. If I had to guess who was behind this, I would say it is Firestone more than Stone more than 21st Amendment; I am curious how they collaborated on this brew. All in all a success!

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Consumed 07/23/2010 in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager "special" glass.

Beer pours a deep mahogany, borderline ebony. A fairly creamy three finger tan head springs to life on the initial pour and dissolves fairly quickly to a half finger, leaving all kinds of foam stuck n the sides of the glass. Plentiful carbonation throughout consumption.

Aromas - roasted malt in the stout/porter realm. Slight metallic edge. Hint of fennel.

Flavor is a semi-sweet chocolate malt base. Notes of peppery spiciness that really come to life in the stomach. I had to strain to pick out the fig note that, according to the list of ingredients, was there. Low bitterness. Alcohol not notable as a flavor component.

The beer is just this side of velvety smooth. The aforementioned pepper burn is very mild but present on the tongue. Moderate dryness.

A bit odd for a regular drinker, this beer is nonetheless an interesting experiment. Maybe a little more fig and a little less pepper would have satisfied my palate more.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks goes out to GoGriz for this brew.

12oz. Bottle

Poured into a chalice a very nice black color, nice carbonation, very nice thick one-finger plus creamy tan head, with some nice thick creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some chocolate/toffee, licorice. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, lots of chocolate/toffee notes, and a nice touch of licorice. Medium body, ABV is hidden pretty well with this one. Drinkable, this is a pretty nice brew, glad to have gotten a chance to try it.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A: A big thick rich dark head keeps rising until it just reaches the top of my oversized snifter glass, then fades slowly, leaving a nice lacing, with a beer that is essentially jet black.

N: A nice malt and hop combination. Some dark malts, dark crystal, black patent, perhaps a little roast, touch of sweetness, and oatmeal even I think. Then a nice spicy earthy hop characteristic that adds a nice floral bitter hop component. It has some creaminess to it too, and slight chocolate. As I get deeper and deeper whiffs, I start to get some spicy booze as well.

T: Starts rich and creamy, thick, but not syrupy. Again malty, with lots of dark malts, caramel, oatmeal, chocolate milk, some sweetness, and a nice luscious taste. Before I can get to the hops the booze is starting to get overpowering, drinking like an 11-12% beer, I can even taste the booze, let alone the warming and tingly feels. THen there are also some hops, a nice bitterness, more from hops than any roasted character, spicy and part grassy hops even, little earthy. Chewy and malty overall.

M: Pretty thick, luscious and smooth, with good carbonation.

F: Pretty bitter on the finish, with a nice hoppy bite to it. The bitterness has quite a bit of that earthy hop characteristic, as well as some fresh musty hop bit to it a little. There is a little lingering sweetness, but mostly dry by now. SOme creamy chocolate milk and oatmeal linger, with touches of dark malts, and even a hint of smoke. The finish is mostly a showing of the hops and bitterness though. I do get a hint of a nuttiness and raisin characteristic though, very late on the finish.

Oh yeah, and I have to give a shoutout to Visionaries for sending me one of these, never hurts to have an extra on hand for aging.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Pours like a nice stout; black with a huge toffee head.

S - Toasted malt, figs, dark chocolate, some piney hops, too.

T - Dark chocolate up front, followed by the figs, rounded out with hop bitterness and pepper from the peppercorns. Molasses. Almost like a nice old ale (like old engine oil style). Pink peppercorns leave a tingling afterbite on the tongue. Pretty tasty.

M - Nice tingly carbonation, medium-full body, good creaminess.

D - Pretty drinkable for the abv, a nice tasty concoction.

3.14/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a dark brown, quite dark indeed. Silky tan head. Nose has sweet malts, spices, hops, caramel, toffee and a harsh alcohol aroma. Taste has roasty malts, grassy hops, spices and again a sharp booze flavor. Medium to full body would have a nice feel if this weren't so hot. Not the best attempt from any of these breweries.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a thick pitch black color that produced a good tan fluffy head with some good retention behind it.

(S)- A good rich malted roasted background. Bits of peppery fig with raisin, molasses, and brown sugar.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell. A great roasted malt background with a raisin/fig/molasses with a brown sugar/peppery finish.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A great malt profile and flavor. Smooth even with a 9.5%ABV. Sweet, but in its right place. Bitter, but is counterbalanced by the sweetness.

(D)- A good example of a relatively 'open' style. Its almost like a stout, yet an aged barleywine at the same time. However old this might be, it has aged well and has more time ahead of it. I enjoyed this one.

12oz bottle, Sam Adams glass,

Very dark brew. It has a purple-ish hue and a serious milk chocolate, Imperial Stout grade head. That head has some very good retention and the same can be said about the lacing.

Any peppercorn spice in the nose is very soft. Dark chocolate bars and figs abound. Alcohol is not hot, but seems to be adding to the fig for a rich, velvety Port aspect. I initially noticed a smokiness that seemed to get lost and then returned when I focused once again.

Sweetness is present but toned down from what one might expect. Smoky chocolate, fig, and char linger and create an ashy, dry, overall excellent finish. Even here the signature Stone (or just West coast) citric and pine hops find a place far, far in the back. Espresso teases and shoves this pretty far towards Imperial Stout territory.

The mouthfeel is full, rounded, and pretty much perfect. I can't see how it could be improved. It fits.

This is one big beer that I really want more of. The mix of ingredients seems to have a very good result even though I cannot single them all out. I am surprised that the fennel isn't apparent; it is unusual for it not to make itself known.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

12oz into chouffe tulip.

A- DARK as all hell, with some seriously coffee colored head. Looks like a coffee milkshake. 2 fingers, good retention, sticky lacing.

S- Sweet simple syrup, floral notes, a bit of spice.

T- Black coffee... some floral notes, spice, etc. Considering the ingredients I'm not entirely familliar with, I'm having a hard time pinning this down, but it's tasty. Rhubarb, blackberries, and sweet smoky goodness.

M- Great body, filling, but not sweet or sticky.

D- Fairly high. One of the better strong ales I've come across, really dials down the sweetness and ups the bitterness and I'm thankful for it. This is a great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Inflatablechair brought this to a recent tasting.... thanks Sammy!!

Pours with a short lasting dark tan head... the brew is the expected black but clear with deep ruby highlites.. okay lace and retention.

Nose is interesting and has some of the advertised ingredients... more roasty than anything else with a signature Stone hoppiness... subtle licorice.

More licorice on the palate with dark roast and some dark fruity essence.. hints of raisins or (I guess) figs.. ehhh.. cardamom and emerging pepper spice/heat with warmth .. seems a mess to me... finishes sorta dry and leaving the peppercorns, roasty malts, and spices just to fight each other..

Body and carbonation are fine given the big ABV.. EtOH was rather well hidden..

Doesn't really mesh... I appreciate it .. but not something I will search out.

Thanks Sam... Glad I got to try this while it was still pretty fresh.

3.5/3.5/3/4/3

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: We've got a stout-like pour here, with a very dark colored liquid (scant ruby highlights) and a massive tannish head that displays great persistence and leaves a curtain of lace

Smell: Unusual aromatics, that require a bit of deconstructing - it has the piney hops that are emblematic of a dark Stone beer; the Mission figs are easily apparent, as well; the licorice is also in there in a big way; and if you sniff it for long enough, the pink peppercorns will attack your nostrils

Taste: Dark and fruity, up front, with molasses and figs being joined by the licorice at mid-palate; the hops and the peppercorns also arrive just before the swallow; the finish is a balancing act of malt, dark fruit, hops, spices all accentuated by the heat of the pink peppercorns - don't I recall that they were pulled from the market years ago for health reasons?

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; a bit tingly

Drinkability: Certainly an example of extreme brewing but the flavors just don't coalesce in an approachable manner

21st Amendment / Firestone Walker / Stone El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale from Stone Brewing Co.