Stone 6th Anniversary Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 6th Anniversary PorterStone 6th Anniversary Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hyuga on 09-02-2002)
Reviews by Floydster:
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

22 ounce bottle courtesy of Bill, thanks for the opportunity my friend, ordered this and Winter Storm a few years ago and was told the guy next to me bought the last one, also sold out at Stuffed Sandwich a while back, glad I get to try this, poured into my Port Brewing nonic, color is nearly black with barely a small amount of red around the edges, one inch tan creamy and foamy head that leaves great lacing, decent retention too, aroma consists of vanilla, milk chocolate, coffee creamer, roasted malts, burned toffee, burnt sugar, anda great oaky scent, starts off with different chocolate and roasted taste, more roasted malts in the middle along with some leather, some vanilla in the finish along with eathiness and some wood, pretty dry and works well with mild sweetness, lots of roasted malts and burned caramel later on, good amount of oak in the finish once it warms, cannot find anything wrong with the taste, drinks very easy and is simply complex, slightly sweet, dry, malty, oaky, and roasted mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, moderate level of carbonation, taste lingers pretty long for the style, drank this whole bottle without hesitation tonight, not even a little heavy on the stomach, only minor flaw is how dry and full of oak it is by the end, but it still goes down well and has great smoothness, my favorite of Stone's anniversary beers hands down, this has aged better than any porter I have ever had, hard to believe this is seven years old, stoked that I have another bottle to cellar for years to come, I hope Stone rebrews this someday as it is great beer, highly recommended

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance – Nice, dark brown color with a big, tan, foaming head that went down slowly and laced the hell out of my Ruination glass.

Smell – Big, giant, smokey roasted malt aroma with a huge hop balance. The dark cherry and tobacco come out as well, along with a bit of overripe apricot and a lot of brown sugar.

Taste – The smoke flavor here is awesome. It’s like eating a nicely-roasted steak. Behind that, the huge fruits and big malt flavors give this the classic Porter taste. I can also pick up some fine espresso beans and bitter coffee notes. This one has it all, and it all is done up just right.

Mouthfeel – The smoothness of this ale is incredible. This is full-bodied for sure, but extremely creamy. It’s amazing.

Drinkability – I like the Stone Smoked Porter, but it’s kind of heavy on the smoke. When I drink this ale, which I rated a 4.5 overall, I find myself wishing for a little less smoke and more fruit. The 6th Anniversary is it – big, giant fruit, smoked but not overly so, and creamy smooth to the point that it’s almost impossible to stop sucking down. This is unbelievable.

Comments – I chose this as my 600th review because I knew that it would be special. This is easily one of the best bottles that I have opened to date. A huge, BA thanks to francisweizen for hooking me up with this exceptional ale. BA Buds are the best!

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I finally found some of this at a local store and I am glad I did, this is quite a beer! It poured a almost black color with a great frothy brown head. The beer smelled of coffee, hops and chocolate. This one is a much bigger beer than their standard Smoked Porter, which I think is a great thing. The taste hits you right away with a great smoky flavor, which gives way to the great ruinous flavor of hops and finishes with a great bitter, chocolate/coffee flavor. Stone never lets me down!

Update 2/25/05

After about two and a half years of aging I decided to pull my last bottle of this great beer out. The flavors had mellowed a but but still had a distinct hop bite in the finnish. I think the smokiness has given way to more dark chocolate flavors and has aged very well. Exceptional beer that I wish I could get more of!

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a deep rootbeery brown with a light brownish head. Dark coffee scents wit a little bit of chocolate in there....

Amazing tastes of espresso... burnt toast... chocolate... portwine... sherry... alcohol....

Just... so... good...

Warming and wonderful.
Smokey and dark..
Absolutely amazing...

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Beer review #400 for me.

Appearance: The 6th Anniversary Porter pours a near-black inky darkness with only a miniscule amount of ruby highlights at the edge of the glass. Thick, long-lasting tan-colored head boils up initally, settles quickly to a thin layer yet manages to coat the glass nearly 100% as the glass emptied.

Smell: Aromas are enchanting. Hefty dose of chocolate, smoke, and toffee assails the nostrils. Freshly-brewed strong coffee notes as well. Amazing.

Taste: If the smell was great, the taste in mind-blowing. A simply fantastic combination of dark, bitter chocolate, toffee, coffee, "smoky campfire", roasted malts....everything combines into a symphony of flavor that was a joy to behold. Finishes with a sweet sugary bitterness that lasts and lasts, reminding you of what just crossed your palate.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Amazing how smooth a beer can be from a bottle. This one is like a big velvet Elvis painting shoved in your mouth. So very smooth and large in the body department. Quite low carbonation which adds to the creamy factor. The ABV is very subdued, making for a very easy-to-drink beer.

Gang...this is one kick-ass beer. A joy to experience. Huge thanks to the classy BA RoyalT for this gem. I am deeply indebted to him for all of the freat beers he has sent me so far.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer poured a thick black with a very thin lacy tan head. It appeared very chocolate black. Holding it up to the light, I could not noticed anything coming through.

The aroma of this was a great complex blend of chocolates, malts and hops. The scent was sharp to the nose, but very pleasing.

The taste was complex as well as it hits you with a powerful chocolate tart tast. It is almost like eating a sour tasting heavy chocolate candy bar. It is a very full tasting beer. The hop bitterness follows soon after and creeps down your tongue.

This beer would go great after dinner with a sweet desert.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Dark almost black, deep ruby brown tone with a nice sized tan moccha head leaves copious amounts of lacing around my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass. Aroma: Toasted malts are good haven't had a nice strong Baltic porter in awhile, floral notes sit on top from some gentle hop dosages and nice fruit layer is in their to alcohol is barely evident blends together with the rest of the beer very well. Taste: I don't think Stone knows how to brew a bad beer, this has survived since August of 2002 without a problem dark chocolate soft fruit esters and alcohol are infused into a beautiful combonation of pure tastiness. Excellent beer that I'm sure will be re-released in the future, it's too solid to keep in the vault. Mouthfeel: Full to mediumb bodied porter with a nice smooth carbonation. Drinkability: I can't believe this beer is this drinkable finishes a bit dry with a dark chocolate alcohol tone but it's so nice keeps you wanting another sip to re-wet the palate, nice.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

An impressive appearance... the very deep brown - almost black - body shows only a thin edge of clear mahogany at the base, and the creamy tan head holds exceptionally well and leaves solid sheets of lace throughout most of the glass. The nose expresses a distinctly smokey roastiness with a touch of fruitiness, citrusy hops, and a noticeable alcoholic strength. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The flavor is surprisingly complex with notes of bittersweet chocolate, peat-smoked malt, bold citrus hops (lemon, mild pineapple), caramelized sugars, alcohol, and black coffee. A dense bitterness anchors it and it finishes astonishingly long and quite dry with a deep roastiness, some peat-smoke, mild but bright citrusy fruit, pine, and a touch of soft chocolate. It's quite the massive beer with great strength and impressive complexity. A beer of Promethian proportions! A 'must try' for hop heads, smoked beer, or porter fans!

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, such sweet pleasure in life to have people so thoughtful as to show up on your doorstep after an extended period away with gifts in hand (of the unsampled, bottled variety)! A visitation of proportions, I tell you. Last year, it was the Stone 5th Ann. IPA (stupendous!!). This time, 6th Ann. Porter. Having forgiven all patience in waiting for a special occasion (oh yeah, I have another bottle yet!), I poured this 18 oz bottle straight away into a huge tankard and let it relax. Gorgeous black tickness with a thinly remaining head. Aroma was huge (fruity-raisin smell, sweet alcohol and peat-smoked nose). To-the-max taste with complexity of all ingredients. Has relations to differing styles, as the hop bittering is significant (and lingering when the beer is allowed to lazy on the tongue...), its roasted malt flavors are bold, and added ceremoniously and unapologetically kick-in-the-ass smoked malts lend intrigue. Mouthfeel is substantial. My summation = Stout’s-son-Porter-from-Eidinburgh-intermix-with-India’s-Palest-Aleing-offspring-and-meet-to-trist-with?-some-xpat-fruity-Belgian?? Perhaps...and they all have smoking problems. A very unique beer with no faults to my taste. Immensely impressive. Reminds me of a Dylan song.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Solid, all the way through. I'm a bit bummed that I didn't get the chance to try this when it was younger though. Poured at Stone Winter Storm 2011.

Appearance is a slightly-turbid brown color, with minimal tan head. Swirling revives the bubbles.

Smell is quite good. It's very, very roasty - the roastiness was crazy. Some smoke, and underlying sweet flavors, perhaps some breadiness.

Taste was good, just like the nose. Strong roasted notes, slight coffee-ish undercurrent, raisins?

Mouthfeel was okay, but a bit too thin. I would have really liked it if this were fuller.

Drinkability was strong. Sometimes roasty beers get tiresome... but I didn't have a problem with this one. Nice beer, probably on it's way downhill at the point though. Drink 'em if you've got 'em.

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Skyhand for this bottle
Poured dark, depp red and brown with a dull light tan head that leaves some spots of lace on the pint.
Aroma is vinous, smkoy malt, roasted and some alcoholic tannins.
Flavor is strong smoky chocolate malt and some raisins with a resiny and gritty bittering. Excellent representation of style and great transitions of flavors.
Mouthfeel is sweet on the front end with a heavy roasted note and semi-floral and resined bitter note at the finish. Medium-bodied.
Drinkability is very solid. Well-blanced between chocloate and roasted notes with just the right of finish bittering. Stoen continues to amaze with their ability to produce such a broad array of beers that are all great.

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours black with just the barest hints of light around the edges witha thick brown head that slowly fades and leaves a nice lace. Very roasted on the nose with nice big chocolatey tones along with some light smokiness and light piney hops. Wow, this brew is absolutely loaded with flavor. Nice hoppy bitterness is mixed in lightly at the start before the roasted and smokey maltiness comes into the picture in a big way. The tangy hoppiness rears its head again before the brew finishes with a nice malty sweetness with strong chocolate flavors left lingering on my tongue. Smooth, creamy and absolutely excellent. I could drink this stuff from sunup to sundown and not get tired of it, although I would be rather drunk. An excellent brew, standard fare from Stone though. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

I found the 6th Anniversary Porter at a small liquor store. Thinking, "Wow, I bet there aren't many of those left around here", I quickly snatched it up. Boy, was that a good idea!

It poured out of the 22oz bomber looking almost jet black except for the ruby-tinged edge that allowed in the faintest amount of light. A small yet persistent mottled tan head perched on top.

The smell was a nose-grabbing blend of strong espresso-like coffee, hints of dark chocolate, plums, prunes and other dark fruits, and a mild hops aroma. Also lurking in the background was a faint sweet alcohol smell.

Taste was magnificant. A huge shot of roasted coffee flavor which reminded me of some of the best coffee I've ever had (a Kenyan/Ethiopian blend), a sweet prunish taste asserted itself next, followed by the suggestion of bakers chocolate bitterness. A soothing warmth issued forth as the alcohol hit home.

Feel was full-bodied, with a velvety smoothness. The smallest sip fills your mouth.

A very satisfying beer. Only the alcohol content slows down the drinkability of this Stone creation. Even then, I just had a tough time pacing myself. A great follow-up to Stone's superb Smoked Porter. Get them if you can find them.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

A new review of this beer, exactly one year after my original review. Let's see how it aged. An extremely dark beer, pretty much black, as can be expected from this style. Thick mocha brown head that stays well. An aroma of caramel malt sweetness permeates the air, along with heavy roasted undertones, and a good amount of citrus hoppiness. Hop character has mellowed with the aging. As for the flavors, the hop bitterness isn't nearly as up-front as it was last year, but is more subtle and complex. Most notably, it's leafy. Still a major player. Lots of roasted flavor with caramel sweetness here and there. Chocolate maltiness has a big presence as well. Also detectable is a subtle smoked character, most noticeable with retro-olfaction. Very smooth and creamy, much moreso than last year. A bit of rind-like hop bitterness is left on the tongue in the aftertaste. I must say that a year of aging has done wonders for this beer, and I can only imagine what further cellaring could do. Another magnificent offering from Stone, who never fail to impress.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Coming up on eight years old, I wasn't expecting this to be drinking so absolutely tastily, but it is, and feel compelled to write a review. Poured brown, dark, semi-translucent with a rich tan head that had a good amount of retention. Aroma is vinous, plum-like, with mild amounts of roast. Tastes of plums, smoke, deliciously roasted coffee, burnt malts, bready and some nice floral and cookie notes. This is tasting great. Body is medium, not as thick as maybe expected, but fits quite well for the fruity and roasty goodness this is. Hard to believe this wasn't bottled in the last year or so, drinking amazing, definitely worth searching out even today.

This was the beer I chose to be my 5000th beer sampled lifetime, and I dedicate it to all the truly great “Beer Persons” on this site. Please excuse the sentimentality, but it is the way I feel about “Beer” and the “Beer Drinking Community” both here at “Beer Advocate” and at “Ratebeer” the other home of great beer and great beer drinkers. It is basically the way I wrote it on August 30, 2002, but updated to reflect my new style of reviewing.

If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carol’s "Through the Looking Glass", "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." Since I sampled my first sip of "Beer" some 50 plus years ago, as a "Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee" and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. "Live each day as if it will be you’re last"; Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children. "Love them, nourish them, be with them", as one day you wake up and realize that "Life" has moved on" and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the “Arrogant Bastard” himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.

The Beer pours that magnificent deep brown to black that I rave about, the head prodigious in size, creamy in its texture, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. The aromas of toasted grain, coffee, lightly hop floral and sweet, a real treat to the senses. Front is ambrosial, the top thick and full in its feel, the finish is modestly acidic, devastatingly hopped dry chocolate malt and alcohol bitter aftertaste. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high ABV can't ask for more than this.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Originally reviewed 31 August 2002.
Simply Beautiful. Explosions of coffee, chocolate & malt flavor. Smooth on the tongue, w/ a nice balance of malt & hops.
A special occassion beer for special occassions. Not meant for the novice, this is another big, beautiful beer from Stone

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Appears a dark brown in the glass with a small tan head that left a couple of rings of lace around the glass. Roasted malts, some smokiness and a bit of chocolate covered dark fruits make up most of the aroma. Some alcohol is noticeable as well. The flavor also has a big roasty/smoky component over a nice dark chocolate. This is quite bitter and the hops are still alive in the flavor. Fruit notes are in the background. Very tasty. Good solid mouthfeel with a creamy fairly thick body. Easy drinking stuff for me as well. I would love to have a few bottles of this too bad I missed getting any when it came out. This held up fantastically over the last few years. Highly recommended. Thanks Ben.

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Black but not opaque. Nice tan head laces nicely. This one isn't as smokey as their smoked porter (a good thing) but it is still noticeably smoky. Dark malts (predominately chocolate) are dominated by the citrus peel hops a bit. Not too overbalanced though.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This bottle was split b/w me, tikigodxxx, trbeer, and crjmellor the morning after the West Mich BA Gathering.

Aged 2 1/2 years. Pours black with purple hues around the sides and crimson on the bottom. My glass was lacking much of a head but some of the other glasses had a medium tan head. What head there was on mine faded quickly and there was no lacing.

I simply could not get enough of this aroma. Very bold, very complex, very,very good! Intense notes of alcohol mix with dark fruits leaving a portlike impression. Roasted coffee is there as well. Creamer, smoke, and maybe even wood.

The flavor almost matched up to the amazing aroma. Once again I'm getting a dark fruit sweetness akin to port or some kind of dessert wine. But the complexity, man oh man, roasted bittersweet chocolate and espresso evolve. Hops are almost non apparent, i think the aging might have something to do with that. Smoked barley seems to be the base of this beer and it really comes out in the finish. Alcohol is prevalent and very nice. Just intensity like I wouldn't believe a 2.5 year old porter could be.

Creamy mouthfeel and the sweetness coats my mouth. Robust as well. Smoke and alcohol kick add complexity. If anything is wrong with this beer though I was hoping for maybe a bit more liveliness in the body.

I tried to drink this slowly, but it was too good! I need more. Much thanks to Craig for providing this great beer.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

An absolutely superb beer that I was lucky enough to have on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue. The first thing I noticed was that absolutely inviting appearance of the beer which was jet black with a nice thick dark brown head. Hoppy and roasted smells rose from the glass. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a treat. The beer is a very big porter... lots going on here with complexity out the wazzoo. Bitterness is very noticeable but not heavy enough to drown out the malts. Malt flavors range form caramel to chocolate and roasted coffee to a smoky feel. The brew just fill your mouth with flavors and I wanted to keep drinking more to discover all the other hidden flavors. This beer has so much going on it truly is amazing. Cheers out to Stone for another quality brew.

3.68/5  rDev -16%

This is a beautiful beer. Pours almost black, with just a hint of ruby when backlit. But the head... the head is just perfect. About a finger-thick, light tan creamy head which lasts the whole way down. Really just exactly right.

The aroma is decent, smoky malts with a hint of fruit and a noticeable presence of alcohol. It's a bit over 8.0% ABV, and it shows. Essentially the only flavors that come through for me are a *very* smokey malt flavor, and a strong alcohol flavor. Together, these combine to leave a very heavy feeling in the throat. The two combined are altogether appropriate for the main body of the flavor, but balance could have been added by adding perhaps a bit more hop to the finish, or perhaps bringing out some fruity flavors in the middle. As it stands -- and God I hate to say this given Stone's *exemplary* journies in over-the-topness with its other beers -- this one is just a bit much for me.

Ah yes, the alcohol.

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

3.78/5  rDev -13.7%

Mind you, I'm not a porter fan, although, I am a huge Stone fan, so anytime I see the words Stone and Anniversary in the same sentence, I know I'm on to something good. Well, I guess as far as porters good, this is about as good as they get. Deep dark, cola like appearance with a almost chocolaty aroma to it. Hints of coffee in the flavor, but a noticable hop pressence also. Porter fans should probably enjoy this one quite well, but this hophead will stick with something with a lot more bite to it.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Five plus years old and still holding strong!

A-Dark brown color with a thick tan head. Reduced nicely into generous lacing.

S-Smokey roasted malt with a nice hop presence.

T-Great smokey malt flavour with a generous hop kick to let you know that this is a Stone product! This is some very tasty stuff.

M-Medium heavy body with an amazing smoothness.

D-I really was impressed with how this beer held up after 5+ years. A great smoked porter that I wish I could get more of!

Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing Co.