Stone 6th Anniversary Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 6th Anniversary PorterStone 6th Anniversary Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hyuga on 09-02-2002)
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Dark almost black, deep ruby brown tone with a nice sized tan moccha head leaves copious amounts of lacing around my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass. Aroma: Toasted malts are good haven't had a nice strong Baltic porter in awhile, floral notes sit on top from some gentle hop dosages and nice fruit layer is in their to alcohol is barely evident blends together with the rest of the beer very well. Taste: I don't think Stone knows how to brew a bad beer, this has survived since August of 2002 without a problem dark chocolate soft fruit esters and alcohol are infused into a beautiful combonation of pure tastiness. Excellent beer that I'm sure will be re-released in the future, it's too solid to keep in the vault. Mouthfeel: Full to mediumb bodied porter with a nice smooth carbonation. Drinkability: I can't believe this beer is this drinkable finishes a bit dry with a dark chocolate alcohol tone but it's so nice keeps you wanting another sip to re-wet the palate, nice.

WVbeergeek, Feb 02, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance – Nice, dark brown color with a big, tan, foaming head that went down slowly and laced the hell out of my Ruination glass.

Smell – Big, giant, smokey roasted malt aroma with a huge hop balance. The dark cherry and tobacco come out as well, along with a bit of overripe apricot and a lot of brown sugar.

Taste – The smoke flavor here is awesome. It’s like eating a nicely-roasted steak. Behind that, the huge fruits and big malt flavors give this the classic Porter taste. I can also pick up some fine espresso beans and bitter coffee notes. This one has it all, and it all is done up just right.

Mouthfeel – The smoothness of this ale is incredible. This is full-bodied for sure, but extremely creamy. It’s amazing.

Drinkability – I like the Stone Smoked Porter, but it’s kind of heavy on the smoke. When I drink this ale, which I rated a 4.5 overall, I find myself wishing for a little less smoke and more fruit. The 6th Anniversary is it – big, giant fruit, smoked but not overly so, and creamy smooth to the point that it’s almost impossible to stop sucking down. This is unbelievable.

Comments – I chose this as my 600th review because I knew that it would be special. This is easily one of the best bottles that I have opened to date. A huge, BA thanks to francisweizen for hooking me up with this exceptional ale. BA Buds are the best!

RoyalT, Jan 20, 2004
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber. The color is dark brown, with a bubbly beige head. The smell is very chocolatey. The taste is a nice chocolate and anise, with a nice bitterness in the aftertaste, and the alcohol isn't noticable. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability-wise, could have a few.

Thank you to HiroProtagonist for this trade...I never thought I was going to get my hands on a 6th Anniversary Porter. Fortunately, I was wrong! An enjoyable beer, and hopefully Greg will bring this one out again in the future.

beergeek279, Jan 18, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Label says its from August 2002. My local beer supply still has a few dozen on a shelf, lucky for me!!!!. Poured into a Duvel tulip with virtually no head, just a little lacing. Color is nearly black, with ruby dark cherry coming through at the edges of the glass. Aromas are characteristic Stone smokeyness, maltiness, a tad of alchohol. Tastes like a classic Stone with smoke, chocolate, jerky-like meaty flavor, medium maltiness- lightly sweet, Alchohol is well hidden. Hoppyness pulls it all together tightly. Solid as a stone. Mouthfeel is full and velvety. This could very well be my favorite Stone and one of my favorite beers.

HiroProtagonist, Dec 25, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I'd been hoping to hang on to this bottle for a bit, but for some reason, it just felt right to crack this out tonight. Maybe I just needed an extra excuse for happiness...
Pours out a deep, dark black, utterly impenetrable, with only the slightest cracks seeping out slight ruby reddishness, with a big, blooming, luscious tan head.
Aroma: ah! there's that smokey factor, big, but not too, with cocoa and mocha character as well, very smooth, never a bit bitter at all.
Taste: repeats the aroma, smokey character is there, all the way, as well as porter-y qualities in abundant, but not overwhelming supply. Richly roasted, fully flavored, immense in body, very mellow and groovy, with the smoke sitting relaxedly, yet firmly in charge and on top of the palate. As we continue, it settles back, this smokiness, it hangs on the back porch, still wafting it's effect, but never harshly. After 16 months since the bottling this must be just the height of perfection. There can't be a thing wrong with this. Fullness, no harshness, yet with a unique flavor that never sticks you wrongly.
Yum.
Have I said that yet?
Yum, and I'll say it again, yum-my.
I'm just gonna sit back and luxuriate in this one.
Oh, nice, nicety, niceness!
Large-sized thanks to Mr. LongBeachBum for delivering this magnificent ale into my possession!

feloniousmonk, Dec 18, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of this on ebay.com It was bottled in August of 2002 so it had already aged for a little over a year. This was extreamly tasty! Unfortunately, I made the mistake of having a Double Bastard right before I had this beer so I think my palate was somewhat shocked and numb.

This beer poured pitch black with a nice tan head that melted quickly into the liquid. Some small traces of lacing but a little too slippery....damn.

The aroma was intense. Huge chocolate hits the nose. Some smoke as well and a little bit of alcohol. Maybe some dark fruits in there as well. Nice...

This was one HUGE porter. The hops definately died down from the aging. This was the first tasting but it just seemed like the hops were not well pronounced but well hidden and balanced. Nice. Huge coffee flavor with some suddle chocolate and dark fruits. Alcohol was well hidden but still apparent. Very smooth and drinkable with a fantastic mouthfeel.

Sad that I only had one bottle. This was very very good!

Crosling, Dec 14, 2003

This one pours dark black with a thick head and good retention. Aroma is sweet with notes of chocolate and vanilla. Smoke is way in the back. Full bodied and slightly syrupy. More like an Imperial Stout in my opinion. Very smooth and alcohol is well disguised by the roasty sweet malt. This is one heavy Porter bordering on a Stout. Has a slight bitter and dry finish.

BierReise, Dec 07, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Clear dark ruby red. Small creamy brown head that recedes very gradually. Lacing is intricate and web-like. Beautiful deep roasted malt tones on the nose. They are speckled with a light smokiness (that I assume was a bit heavier a year ago). Hop aromas seem to have that "West Coast" feel to them....pungent, citric....piney. The taste is marvelous as well. WOW! This is smooth and tasty. The roasted malt profile lays down a very sturdy foundation. Overatures of chocolate and dry cocoa are HUGE. The lingering bitterness is quite appealing. The smokiness is a little meaty, but quite delicate at this stage of the game. Hop bitterness and roasted bitterness blend to perfection. The mouthfeel is silky smooth. Body seems to check in at about medium. Man this is good. What I could do with a keg of this liquid gold.

LongBeachBum, you've done it again. You are the man! Thanks for sparing one of your last ones.

Bighuge, Nov 13, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Dark black color, medium off white head. A BIG full-bodied porter, almost chewy. Roasted malts, chocolaty. Big chewy hoppiness. WOW whatta porter. Stone is usually over the top with their beers (this is NOT a bad thing) and this beer is no exception. Big and bold flavor with a very pronounced hop bite, yet it has a very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. No alcohol bite, despite an 8.1% ABV. Etched beer bottle. Look very classy.

beerguy101, Sep 25, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Sampled Sep 12, 2003
This is a pitch black beer with notes of deep brown. It pours with a dark brown head which is dense, creamy and pretty persistent. The aroma is one of malt, roasted malt with a bit of smoke and perhaps a hint of alcohol in the nose. There is a nice thick mouthfeel to this one, and it gently coats your entire mouth. The finish has a hint of alcohol. There is lots of smoky malt flavor in this beer as well. The roasted notes remind me of coffee. A bit of sweetness becomes evident as it warms up. This beer feels thick, almost oily on my tongue, the smoke only reinforces this perception. This 22 oz bottle is a meal unto itself. Overall a fairly solid beer, I like it.

Gueuzedude, Sep 22, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Deep mahagony body pours with a moderate tan head that seems very dense and creamy. The head slowly fades to a more modest layer of foam that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Sweet and fruity aromas are barely perceptible as the beer sits on the desk in front of me. Close up, a strong dark fruit and chocolate aroma similar to raspberry hot chocolate dominates the nose, but some smoky roasted notes and a bit of hops are present as well. The taste is phenomenal, with sweet malt, strong coffee, roasted malt, burnt marshmallows, and smoldering pine all assaulting my taste buds. Ghostlike alcohol esters hover above the action, filling the rest of my mouth with the prescence. But then the sultry body massages the tongue, and I seem to forget about the brash assault it just recieved. The only memory is a lingering smoked pine taste. Drinkability is very good. This is another masterful brew from Stone. Maybe I should go track down a case of the 7th Anniversary Ale, eh? This is truly a treat.

aaronh, Sep 04, 2003
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

A new review of this beer, exactly one year after my original review. Let's see how it aged. An extremely dark beer, pretty much black, as can be expected from this style. Thick mocha brown head that stays well. An aroma of caramel malt sweetness permeates the air, along with heavy roasted undertones, and a good amount of citrus hoppiness. Hop character has mellowed with the aging. As for the flavors, the hop bitterness isn't nearly as up-front as it was last year, but is more subtle and complex. Most notably, it's leafy. Still a major player. Lots of roasted flavor with caramel sweetness here and there. Chocolate maltiness has a big presence as well. Also detectable is a subtle smoked character, most noticeable with retro-olfaction. Very smooth and creamy, much moreso than last year. A bit of rind-like hop bitterness is left on the tongue in the aftertaste. I must say that a year of aging has done wonders for this beer, and I can only imagine what further cellaring could do. Another magnificent offering from Stone, who never fail to impress.

hyuga, Aug 30, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

I found the 6th Anniversary Porter at a small liquor store. Thinking, "Wow, I bet there aren't many of those left around here", I quickly snatched it up. Boy, was that a good idea!

It poured out of the 22oz bomber looking almost jet black except for the ruby-tinged edge that allowed in the faintest amount of light. A small yet persistent mottled tan head perched on top.

The smell was a nose-grabbing blend of strong espresso-like coffee, hints of dark chocolate, plums, prunes and other dark fruits, and a mild hops aroma. Also lurking in the background was a faint sweet alcohol smell.

Taste was magnificant. A huge shot of roasted coffee flavor which reminded me of some of the best coffee I've ever had (a Kenyan/Ethiopian blend), a sweet prunish taste asserted itself next, followed by the suggestion of bakers chocolate bitterness. A soothing warmth issued forth as the alcohol hit home.

Feel was full-bodied, with a velvety smoothness. The smallest sip fills your mouth.

A very satisfying beer. Only the alcohol content slows down the drinkability of this Stone creation. Even then, I just had a tough time pacing myself. A great follow-up to Stone's superb Smoked Porter. Get them if you can find them.

Boilermaker88, Aug 24, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Originally reviewed 31 August 2002.
Simply Beautiful. Explosions of coffee, chocolate & malt flavor. Smooth on the tongue, w/ a nice balance of malt & hops.
A special occassion beer for special occassions. Not meant for the novice, this is another big, beautiful beer from Stone

jcalabre, May 21, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I finally found some of this at a local store and I am glad I did, this is quite a beer! It poured a almost black color with a great frothy brown head. The beer smelled of coffee, hops and chocolate. This one is a much bigger beer than their standard Smoked Porter, which I think is a great thing. The taste hits you right away with a great smoky flavor, which gives way to the great ruinous flavor of hops and finishes with a great bitter, chocolate/coffee flavor. Stone never lets me down!

Update 2/25/05

After about two and a half years of aging I decided to pull my last bottle of this great beer out. The flavors had mellowed a but but still had a distinct hop bite in the finnish. I think the smokiness has given way to more dark chocolate flavors and has aged very well. Exceptional beer that I wish I could get more of!

Dmann, Apr 11, 2003
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer poured a thick black with a very thin lacy tan head. It appeared very chocolate black. Holding it up to the light, I could not noticed anything coming through.

The aroma of this was a great complex blend of chocolates, malts and hops. The scent was sharp to the nose, but very pleasing.

The taste was complex as well as it hits you with a powerful chocolate tart tast. It is almost like eating a sour tasting heavy chocolate candy bar. It is a very full tasting beer. The hop bitterness follows soon after and creeps down your tongue.

This beer would go great after dinner with a sweet desert.

DrunkenPanther, Mar 31, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, such sweet pleasure in life to have people so thoughtful as to show up on your doorstep after an extended period away with gifts in hand (of the unsampled, bottled variety)! A visitation of proportions, I tell you. Last year, it was the Stone 5th Ann. IPA (stupendous!!). This time, 6th Ann. Porter. Having forgiven all patience in waiting for a special occasion (oh yeah, I have another bottle yet!), I poured this 18 oz bottle straight away into a huge tankard and let it relax. Gorgeous black tickness with a thinly remaining head. Aroma was huge (fruity-raisin smell, sweet alcohol and peat-smoked nose). To-the-max taste with complexity of all ingredients. Has relations to differing styles, as the hop bittering is significant (and lingering when the beer is allowed to lazy on the tongue...), its roasted malt flavors are bold, and added ceremoniously and unapologetically kick-in-the-ass smoked malts lend intrigue. Mouthfeel is substantial. My summation = Stout’s-son-Porter-from-Eidinburgh-intermix-with-India’s-Palest-Aleing-offspring-and-meet-to-trist-with?-some-xpat-fruity-Belgian?? Perhaps...and they all have smoking problems. A very unique beer with no faults to my taste. Immensely impressive. Reminds me of a Dylan song.

Hobbz, Feb 20, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

My introduction to stone(courtesy of fellow BA Hyuga, cheers m8!). Where do I begin? Well let's just say that I have been looking forward to trying Stone brewings products for some time now(pretty much since I joined this site almost 3 months ago:-)and I had very high expectations for this brew, which was my first stone brew. Let's just say I was not dissapointed at all and I look forward to trying EVERY other brew that this brewery makes(that I can get my hands on:-) Anyway, this brew pours a deep, dark, darker than guinness, you are-not-worthy, storm-king like black that I was not expecting in a porter. This smelled wonderfully like dark chocolate malts, bittering hops, smoked and roasted barleys, and many other things. The nose, kind of reminded me of an aged bottle of storm king, or brooklyn black chocolate stout, but it also reminded me of Adam, or Skullsplitter as well, so I was a bit worried. This tasted wonderful! Like a combination platter of all of the above. It had some of those funky adam-like, old ale flavors, but this time around they did not bother me at all. Maybe it is the blending that stone used for this beer, but to me this is an almost perfect offering. This had the notes, profiles, and flavor aspects of an IPA, a Porter, a Stout, and an old world ale. How do they do it! This also had a T.H.I.C.K., smooth and heavy mouthfeel that is perfect for warming you up on a cold winters day! The drinkability factor for this is lowered a little bit because of it's thickness and fullness, but this is a wonderful beer.
BA is a great place to be
Cheers!
F.

francisweizen, Jan 24, 2003
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

This was a pleasant surprise on a $28 round-trip cab ride from the Anaheim Mariott to the Hollingshead Deli 4.5 miles away. This is another classic from Stone. Thoroughly black with a nice ruby halo and a medium beige head. Aroma is not as smoky as I remember the Smoked Porter being, it is definitely more subdued. Warm flavor of chocolate, licorice and black cherry. Finish is as smooth aa suede. Great stuff!

Dogbrick, Jan 16, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

An impressive appearance... the very deep brown - almost black - body shows only a thin edge of clear mahogany at the base, and the creamy tan head holds exceptionally well and leaves solid sheets of lace throughout most of the glass. The nose expresses a distinctly smokey roastiness with a touch of fruitiness, citrusy hops, and a noticeable alcoholic strength. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The flavor is surprisingly complex with notes of bittersweet chocolate, peat-smoked malt, bold citrus hops (lemon, mild pineapple), caramelized sugars, alcohol, and black coffee. A dense bitterness anchors it and it finishes astonishingly long and quite dry with a deep roastiness, some peat-smoke, mild but bright citrusy fruit, pine, and a touch of soft chocolate. It's quite the massive beer with great strength and impressive complexity. A beer of Promethian proportions! A 'must try' for hop heads, smoked beer, or porter fans!

NeroFiddled, Jan 15, 2003

This was the beer I chose to be my 5000th beer sampled lifetime, and I dedicate it to all the truly great “Beer Persons” on this site. Please excuse the sentimentality, but it is the way I feel about “Beer” and the “Beer Drinking Community” both here at “Beer Advocate” and at “Ratebeer” the other home of great beer and great beer drinkers. It is basically the way I wrote it on August 30, 2002, but updated to reflect my new style of reviewing.

If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carol’s "Through the Looking Glass", "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." Since I sampled my first sip of "Beer" some 50 plus years ago, as a "Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee" and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. "Live each day as if it will be you’re last"; Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children. "Love them, nourish them, be with them", as one day you wake up and realize that "Life" has moved on" and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the “Arrogant Bastard” himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.

The Beer pours that magnificent deep brown to black that I rave about, the head prodigious in size, creamy in its texture, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. The aromas of toasted grain, coffee, lightly hop floral and sweet, a real treat to the senses. Front is ambrosial, the top thick and full in its feel, the finish is modestly acidic, devastatingly hopped dry chocolate malt and alcohol bitter aftertaste. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high ABV can't ask for more than this.

Gusler, Jan 04, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours black with just the barest hints of light around the edges witha thick brown head that slowly fades and leaves a nice lace. Very roasted on the nose with nice big chocolatey tones along with some light smokiness and light piney hops. Wow, this brew is absolutely loaded with flavor. Nice hoppy bitterness is mixed in lightly at the start before the roasted and smokey maltiness comes into the picture in a big way. The tangy hoppiness rears its head again before the brew finishes with a nice malty sweetness with strong chocolate flavors left lingering on my tongue. Smooth, creamy and absolutely excellent. I could drink this stuff from sunup to sundown and not get tired of it, although I would be rather drunk. An excellent brew, standard fare from Stone though. Highly recommended.

Murph, Dec 16, 2002
3.9/5  rDev -11%

This is my first Stone brew and I'm beginning to see what all the hype is about. This porter is almost jet black with a nice mocha colored head with big bubbles.

The flavor is an overwhelming blend of unsweetened chocolate, lemon rind, burnt caramel, and espresso bean. This beer has a strong, bitter finish that leaves it a bit unbalanced for my taste and detracts somewhat from the drinkability. But it's an excellent interpretation of the style, nonetheless. The 8.01% abv is virtually unnoticable, except in your head and flush cheeks. Just a big, steamroller of a beer, all around. I'm anxious to try the other Stone brews.

DerKaiser, Dec 01, 2002
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

stone 6th anniversary porter 8.01% abv. for this big of a beer very little alcohol notes. this porter pours with a great thick consistant, little lacey, almost kacki(sp) head with a deep, deep, deep, brown color. the aroma is of chocolate, and slightly smoky malt. the taste has a surprising hop bitterness that is balanced well with the amazing chocolate, carmely malt, it tastes slightly burnt though, it is a full bodied beast with long lasting mouthfeel bitterness on the palete. little alcohol taste, but for i would think it would be a little more prevalent in this beer for the ABV. well worth drink. so sweet.

Myk, Nov 21, 2002
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

An absolutely superb beer that I was lucky enough to have on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue. The first thing I noticed was that absolutely inviting appearance of the beer which was jet black with a nice thick dark brown head. Hoppy and roasted smells rose from the glass. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a treat. The beer is a very big porter... lots going on here with complexity out the wazzoo. Bitterness is very noticeable but not heavy enough to drown out the malts. Malt flavors range form caramel to chocolate and roasted coffee to a smoky feel. The brew just fill your mouth with flavors and I wanted to keep drinking more to discover all the other hidden flavors. This beer has so much going on it truly is amazing. Cheers out to Stone for another quality brew.

jreitman, Oct 28, 2002
Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing Co.