Stone 6th Anniversary Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 6th Anniversary PorterStone 6th Anniversary Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hyuga on 09-02-2002)
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I finally found some of this at a local store and I am glad I did, this is quite a beer! It poured a almost black color with a great frothy brown head. The beer smelled of coffee, hops and chocolate. This one is a much bigger beer than their standard Smoked Porter, which I think is a great thing. The taste hits you right away with a great smoky flavor, which gives way to the great ruinous flavor of hops and finishes with a great bitter, chocolate/coffee flavor. Stone never lets me down!

Update 2/25/05

After about two and a half years of aging I decided to pull my last bottle of this great beer out. The flavors had mellowed a but but still had a distinct hop bite in the finnish. I think the smokiness has given way to more dark chocolate flavors and has aged very well. Exceptional beer that I wish I could get more of!

Dmann, Apr 11, 2003
4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

vma, Aug 17, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a deep rootbeery brown with a light brownish head. Dark coffee scents wit a little bit of chocolate in there....

Amazing tastes of espresso... burnt toast... chocolate... portwine... sherry... alcohol....

Just... so... good...

Warming and wonderful.
Smokey and dark..
Absolutely amazing...

shapudding, Aug 04, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Label says its from August 2002. My local beer supply still has a few dozen on a shelf, lucky for me!!!!. Poured into a Duvel tulip with virtually no head, just a little lacing. Color is nearly black, with ruby dark cherry coming through at the edges of the glass. Aromas are characteristic Stone smokeyness, maltiness, a tad of alchohol. Tastes like a classic Stone with smoke, chocolate, jerky-like meaty flavor, medium maltiness- lightly sweet, Alchohol is well hidden. Hoppyness pulls it all together tightly. Solid as a stone. Mouthfeel is full and velvety. This could very well be my favorite Stone and one of my favorite beers.

HiroProtagonist, Dec 25, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Deep brown with red highlights a full light brown rocky head and some residual lacing.
Aroma: Hops, malt, roasted grains, coffee and some wood (smoked?) background. Taste: Creamy sweetness with an intense hop finish. Coffee and roasted flavors come forth somewhere in the middle and finish.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, smooth, and oily with a biting finish. Lingering hop bitterness prevails.
IMHO: A beer with great qualities, but, alas, another over-hopped American take on a great European style

SeanChouffe, Mar 09, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -13.7%

Mind you, I'm not a porter fan, although, I am a huge Stone fan, so anytime I see the words Stone and Anniversary in the same sentence, I know I'm on to something good. Well, I guess as far as porters good, this is about as good as they get. Deep dark, cola like appearance with a almost chocolaty aroma to it. Hints of coffee in the flavor, but a noticable hop pressence also. Porter fans should probably enjoy this one quite well, but this hophead will stick with something with a lot more bite to it.

sinistersteve, Sep 02, 2002
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Solid, all the way through. I'm a bit bummed that I didn't get the chance to try this when it was younger though. Poured at Stone Winter Storm 2011.

Appearance is a slightly-turbid brown color, with minimal tan head. Swirling revives the bubbles.

Smell is quite good. It's very, very roasty - the roastiness was crazy. Some smoke, and underlying sweet flavors, perhaps some breadiness.

Taste was good, just like the nose. Strong roasted notes, slight coffee-ish undercurrent, raisins?

Mouthfeel was okay, but a bit too thin. I would have really liked it if this were fuller.

Drinkability was strong. Sometimes roasty beers get tiresome... but I didn't have a problem with this one. Nice beer, probably on it's way downhill at the point though. Drink 'em if you've got 'em.

davod23, Feb 07, 2011

Roth_Daddy, Aug 07, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Ah, such sweet pleasure in life to have people so thoughtful as to show up on your doorstep after an extended period away with gifts in hand (of the unsampled, bottled variety)! A visitation of proportions, I tell you. Last year, it was the Stone 5th Ann. IPA (stupendous!!). This time, 6th Ann. Porter. Having forgiven all patience in waiting for a special occasion (oh yeah, I have another bottle yet!), I poured this 18 oz bottle straight away into a huge tankard and let it relax. Gorgeous black tickness with a thinly remaining head. Aroma was huge (fruity-raisin smell, sweet alcohol and peat-smoked nose). To-the-max taste with complexity of all ingredients. Has relations to differing styles, as the hop bittering is significant (and lingering when the beer is allowed to lazy on the tongue...), its roasted malt flavors are bold, and added ceremoniously and unapologetically kick-in-the-ass smoked malts lend intrigue. Mouthfeel is substantial. My summation = Stout’s-son-Porter-from-Eidinburgh-intermix-with-India’s-Palest-Aleing-offspring-and-meet-to-trist-with?-some-xpat-fruity-Belgian?? Perhaps...and they all have smoking problems. A very unique beer with no faults to my taste. Immensely impressive. Reminds me of a Dylan song.

Hobbz, Feb 20, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Was very fortunate to try this last weekend at a homebrew party I attended. I've been dying to try it for quite some time but figured it a lost cause.

A: Pours almost jet black. A beautiful, creamy, long lasting head.

S: Big roasted/smoked smells. Charred oak and chocolate over load. Hints of coffee as well.

T: Wow. Possibly the best porter I've ever had, and that is saying a lot. I only wish I had more. Smoke, coffee, chocolate, maybe even roasted barley flavors, even though it doesn't fit the category. I would have killed to try this a couple years ago to see what 4 years of aging has done to it. Can't imagine it being better.

I could see why the Stone boys said this was one of, if not, their favorite beer they have brewed. They should definitely consider re-releasing this one. Much better than their standard smoked porter.

Callenak, Jun 19, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

jaybrough, Oct 12, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -11%

This is my first Stone brew and I'm beginning to see what all the hype is about. This porter is almost jet black with a nice mocha colored head with big bubbles.

The flavor is an overwhelming blend of unsweetened chocolate, lemon rind, burnt caramel, and espresso bean. This beer has a strong, bitter finish that leaves it a bit unbalanced for my taste and detracts somewhat from the drinkability. But it's an excellent interpretation of the style, nonetheless. The 8.01% abv is virtually unnoticable, except in your head and flush cheeks. Just a big, steamroller of a beer, all around. I'm anxious to try the other Stone brews.

DerKaiser, Dec 01, 2002
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

stone 6th anniversary porter 8.01% abv. for this big of a beer very little alcohol notes. this porter pours with a great thick consistant, little lacey, almost kacki(sp) head with a deep, deep, deep, brown color. the aroma is of chocolate, and slightly smoky malt. the taste has a surprising hop bitterness that is balanced well with the amazing chocolate, carmely malt, it tastes slightly burnt though, it is a full bodied beast with long lasting mouthfeel bitterness on the palete. little alcohol taste, but for i would think it would be a little more prevalent in this beer for the ABV. well worth drink. so sweet.

Myk, Nov 21, 2002
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer poured a thick black with a very thin lacy tan head. It appeared very chocolate black. Holding it up to the light, I could not noticed anything coming through.

The aroma of this was a great complex blend of chocolates, malts and hops. The scent was sharp to the nose, but very pleasing.

The taste was complex as well as it hits you with a powerful chocolate tart tast. It is almost like eating a sour tasting heavy chocolate candy bar. It is a very full tasting beer. The hop bitterness follows soon after and creeps down your tongue.

This beer would go great after dinner with a sweet desert.

DrunkenPanther, Mar 31, 2003
Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing Co.