Stone 6th Anniversary Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 6th Anniversary PorterStone 6th Anniversary Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hyuga on 09-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
francisweizen

Alaska

4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

My introduction to stone(courtesy of fellow BA Hyuga, cheers m8!). Where do I begin? Well let's just say that I have been looking forward to trying Stone brewings products for some time now(pretty much since I joined this site almost 3 months ago:-)and I had very high expectations for this brew, which was my first stone brew. Let's just say I was not dissapointed at all and I look forward to trying EVERY other brew that this brewery makes(that I can get my hands on:-) Anyway, this brew pours a deep, dark, darker than guinness, you are-not-worthy, storm-king like black that I was not expecting in a porter. This smelled wonderfully like dark chocolate malts, bittering hops, smoked and roasted barleys, and many other things. The nose, kind of reminded me of an aged bottle of storm king, or brooklyn black chocolate stout, but it also reminded me of Adam, or Skullsplitter as well, so I was a bit worried. This tasted wonderful! Like a combination platter of all of the above. It had some of those funky adam-like, old ale flavors, but this time around they did not bother me at all. Maybe it is the blending that stone used for this beer, but to me this is an almost perfect offering. This had the notes, profiles, and flavor aspects of an IPA, a Porter, a Stout, and an old world ale. How do they do it! This also had a T.H.I.C.K., smooth and heavy mouthfeel that is perfect for warming you up on a cold winters day! The drinkability factor for this is lowered a little bit because of it's thickness and fullness, but this is a wonderful beer.
BA is a great place to be
Cheers!
F.

01-24-2003 09:37:22 | More by francisweizen
Dogbrick

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

This was a pleasant surprise on a $28 round-trip cab ride from the Anaheim Mariott to the Hollingshead Deli 4.5 miles away. This is another classic from Stone. Thoroughly black with a nice ruby halo and a medium beige head. Aroma is not as smoky as I remember the Smoked Porter being, it is definitely more subdued. Warm flavor of chocolate, licorice and black cherry. Finish is as smooth aa suede. Great stuff!

01-16-2003 06:56:55 | More by Dogbrick
NeroFiddled

4.63/5  rDev +4%

An impressive appearance... the very deep brown - almost black - body shows only a thin edge of clear mahogany at the base, and the creamy tan head holds exceptionally well and leaves solid sheets of lace throughout most of the glass. The nose expresses a distinctly smokey roastiness with a touch of fruitiness, citrusy hops, and a noticeable alcoholic strength. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The flavor is surprisingly complex with notes of bittersweet chocolate, peat-smoked malt, bold citrus hops (lemon, mild pineapple), caramelized sugars, alcohol, and black coffee. A dense bitterness anchors it and it finishes astonishingly long and quite dry with a deep roastiness, some peat-smoke, mild but bright citrusy fruit, pine, and a touch of soft chocolate. It's quite the massive beer with great strength and impressive complexity. A beer of Promethian proportions! A 'must try' for hop heads, smoked beer, or porter fans!

01-15-2003 20:28:50 | More by NeroFiddled
Gusler

Arizona

This was the beer I chose to be my 5000th beer sampled lifetime, and I dedicate it to all the truly great “Beer Persons” on this site. Please excuse the sentimentality, but it is the way I feel about “Beer” and the “Beer Drinking Community” both here at “Beer Advocate” and at “Ratebeer” the other home of great beer and great beer drinkers. It is basically the way I wrote it on August 30, 2002, but updated to reflect my new style of reviewing.

If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carol’s "Through the Looking Glass", "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." Since I sampled my first sip of "Beer" some 50 plus years ago, as a "Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee" and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. "Live each day as if it will be you’re last"; Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children. "Love them, nourish them, be with them", as one day you wake up and realize that "Life" has moved on" and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the “Arrogant Bastard” himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.

The Beer pours that magnificent deep brown to black that I rave about, the head prodigious in size, creamy in its texture, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. The aromas of toasted grain, coffee, lightly hop floral and sweet, a real treat to the senses. Front is ambrosial, the top thick and full in its feel, the finish is modestly acidic, devastatingly hopped dry chocolate malt and alcohol bitter aftertaste. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high ABV can't ask for more than this.

01-04-2003 12:26:50 | More by Gusler
Murph

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours black with just the barest hints of light around the edges witha thick brown head that slowly fades and leaves a nice lace. Very roasted on the nose with nice big chocolatey tones along with some light smokiness and light piney hops. Wow, this brew is absolutely loaded with flavor. Nice hoppy bitterness is mixed in lightly at the start before the roasted and smokey maltiness comes into the picture in a big way. The tangy hoppiness rears its head again before the brew finishes with a nice malty sweetness with strong chocolate flavors left lingering on my tongue. Smooth, creamy and absolutely excellent. I could drink this stuff from sunup to sundown and not get tired of it, although I would be rather drunk. An excellent brew, standard fare from Stone though. Highly recommended.

12-16-2002 18:32:22 | More by Murph
DerKaiser

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%

This is my first Stone brew and I'm beginning to see what all the hype is about. This porter is almost jet black with a nice mocha colored head with big bubbles.

The flavor is an overwhelming blend of unsweetened chocolate, lemon rind, burnt caramel, and espresso bean. This beer has a strong, bitter finish that leaves it a bit unbalanced for my taste and detracts somewhat from the drinkability. But it's an excellent interpretation of the style, nonetheless. The 8.01% abv is virtually unnoticable, except in your head and flush cheeks. Just a big, steamroller of a beer, all around. I'm anxious to try the other Stone brews.

12-01-2002 19:14:20 | More by DerKaiser
Myk

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%

stone 6th anniversary porter 8.01% abv. for this big of a beer very little alcohol notes. this porter pours with a great thick consistant, little lacey, almost kacki(sp) head with a deep, deep, deep, brown color. the aroma is of chocolate, and slightly smoky malt. the taste has a surprising hop bitterness that is balanced well with the amazing chocolate, carmely malt, it tastes slightly burnt though, it is a full bodied beast with long lasting mouthfeel bitterness on the palete. little alcohol taste, but for i would think it would be a little more prevalent in this beer for the ABV. well worth drink. so sweet.

11-21-2002 23:26:57 | More by Myk
jreitman

4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

An absolutely superb beer that I was lucky enough to have on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue. The first thing I noticed was that absolutely inviting appearance of the beer which was jet black with a nice thick dark brown head. Hoppy and roasted smells rose from the glass. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a treat. The beer is a very big porter... lots going on here with complexity out the wazzoo. Bitterness is very noticeable but not heavy enough to drown out the malts. Malt flavors range form caramel to chocolate and roasted coffee to a smoky feel. The brew just fill your mouth with flavors and I wanted to keep drinking more to discover all the other hidden flavors. This beer has so much going on it truly is amazing. Cheers out to Stone for another quality brew.

10-28-2002 19:48:54 | More by jreitman
mickeymac

It's just a shade off black with a thick tan head. The smell is roasted malt with a hint of chocolate and very noticeable traces of alcohol. The smoke flavor is barely detectable at first but becomes a bit more pronounced as it warms. Unfortunately, the alcohol flavor also becomes more noticeable and overwhelms the more subtle fruity and smoky flavors. 8% abv just seems a bit high for a beer like this. Stone's smoked porter is more balanced and enjoyable.

10-08-2002 21:19:05 | More by mickeymac
aracauna

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev -18.4%

Black but not opaque. Nice tan head laces nicely. This one isn't as smokey as their smoked porter (a good thing) but it is still noticeably smoky. Dark malts (predominately chocolate) are dominated by the citrus peel hops a bit. Not too overbalanced though.

10-03-2002 00:17:20 | More by aracauna
mzwolinski

3.68/5  rDev -17.3%

This is a beautiful beer. Pours almost black, with just a hint of ruby when backlit. But the head... the head is just perfect. About a finger-thick, light tan creamy head which lasts the whole way down. Really just exactly right.

The aroma is decent, smoky malts with a hint of fruit and a noticeable presence of alcohol. It's a bit over 8.0% ABV, and it shows. Essentially the only flavors that come through for me are a *very* smokey malt flavor, and a strong alcohol flavor. Together, these combine to leave a very heavy feeling in the throat. The two combined are altogether appropriate for the main body of the flavor, but balance could have been added by adding perhaps a bit more hop to the finish, or perhaps bringing out some fruity flavors in the middle. As it stands -- and God I hate to say this given Stone's *exemplary* journies in over-the-topness with its other beers -- this one is just a bit much for me.

Ah yes, the alcohol.

09-09-2002 22:24:56 | More by mzwolinski
sinistersteve

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev -15.1%

Mind you, I'm not a porter fan, although, I am a huge Stone fan, so anytime I see the words Stone and Anniversary in the same sentence, I know I'm on to something good. Well, I guess as far as porters good, this is about as good as they get. Deep dark, cola like appearance with a almost chocolaty aroma to it. Hints of coffee in the flavor, but a noticable hop pressence also. Porter fans should probably enjoy this one quite well, but this hophead will stick with something with a lot more bite to it.

09-02-2002 21:47:03 | More by sinistersteve
Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing Co.