Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone 6th Anniversary Porter | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by hyuga on 09-02-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 86
3.71/5  rDev -14.3%

This is a beautiful beer. Pours almost black, with just a hint of ruby when backlit. But the head... the head is just perfect. About a finger-thick, light tan creamy head which lasts the whole way down. Really just exactly right.

The aroma is decent, smoky malts with a hint of fruit and a noticeable presence of alcohol. It's a bit over 8.0% ABV, and it shows. Essentially the only flavors that come through for me are a *very* smokey malt flavor, and a strong alcohol flavor. Together, these combine to leave a very heavy feeling in the throat. The two combined are altogether appropriate for the main body of the flavor, but balance could have been added by adding perhaps a bit more hop to the finish, or perhaps bringing out some fruity flavors in the middle. As it stands -- and God I hate to say this given Stone's *exemplary* journies in over-the-topness with its other beers -- this one is just a bit much for me.

Ah yes, the alcohol.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Mind you, I'm not a porter fan, although, I am a huge Stone fan, so anytime I see the words Stone and Anniversary in the same sentence, I know I'm on to something good. Well, I guess as far as porters good, this is about as good as they get. Deep dark, cola like appearance with a almost chocolaty aroma to it. Hints of coffee in the flavor, but a noticable hop pressence also. Porter fans should probably enjoy this one quite well, but this hophead will stick with something with a lot more bite to it.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing Co.