Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
Reviews: 513 | Hads: 1,190

A - Golden yellow-amber appearance with a yeasty haze. Sparkles in the glass. Head is big, sticks around, and laces nicely. If the fountain of youth exists, this is it.

S - WOAH herbs and spices just as marketed. Thyme majorly. Rosemary. Basil. Yeast. Smells so fresh. I just tried to picture the field that all of these ingredients came from but nothing I could imagine came close enough. This is an exceptionally smelling beer.

T - Oh man. As good as most any beer I've ever had. SO remarkably fresh. Pure and pristine and crisp tasting. Herbs and spices leave a tingle on the tongue. Perhaps the crispest beverage that has ever entered my mouth. Exceptional.

M - The head and the yeast give each sip a fantastic texture that compliments the way the spices make the tongue tingle. Dry and spicy finish. Well carbonated and light to meidum bodied.

D - A mind-blowing beer. That's all I have to say.

Very happy to find this at Par Liquor of all places.

Appearance is good yeah yeah whatever looks nice velvety white head champagne body.
Heaven on the nose, seriously amazing. Spice is not annoying or overwhelming, rather a subtle complement to wafts of barnyard funk and lemon flower.
At first I was disappointed in the smell of BUFF, but after the first taste I could not be more pleased. Peppery, grassy, otherworldly. Is that leather I'm tasting? GOD I HOPE SO.
This drink is as refreshing as a dry dusty walk through San Diego's most seasoned chaparral. You know that feeling on a walk when an herbal scent jumps out at you? A fruiting sage perhaps but probably some gaseous blend of unknown native herbs? Well this Saison has that feeling "in spades." I don't even know what "in spades" means but who am I to never use the phrase.

Simply an A+ on all counts. The taste rolls on for ages and this scent will haunt me until... tomorrow when I get more. This is not your grandfather's Saison. As far as improving on Dupont I have no comment, but this is an incredible concoction that I could not ask more from. Good work, boys.

I've never had a better Siason, much less a better beer.

This had so much flavor, and tasted so much like a juice, that I was a bit shocked when the Saison kick would show up at the finish.

I know it's $65 a case of 12oz bottles, but, I's savor this for as long as possible.

Great collab!

From the fridge and poured into my blown flute stone IPA glass. Chilled from 40f warmed to 55f in a room temperater ware.

12 ounce bottle.
A - hazy orange with a big foamy head.
S - smells like fresh earthy herbs. Piney.
T - Great spicey notes with some hop character that just hits the nose. Gotta' love it.
M - light and fizzy.
D - very drinkable. Such a great summer beer.

Shared with the wife after work on a Saturday night.

4.92/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle onto a wine goblet
Hazy gold in color, with a big, billowy head of foam
Aroma-Wow! Big aromatic rush of hops and herbs-Like putting your head in a sack of chopped up herbs and hops-incredibly fragrant
Taste-Wow! Huge hops and herb infusion assault, and then make quick friends of my tastebuds. Juicy hops meld together perfectly with rosemary and sage and other spices into mindblowing flavor. A game-changing saison that would be an excellent summer refresher or an excellent complement to a Thanksgiving dinner.
I am blown away with the complexity and yet refreshing drinkability of this beer. All I can say is more, more, more! I raise my glass high to this "holy trinity" of brewing. Cheers!!

4.82/5  rDev +25.5%

P: pours a plae golden color with a good head that dissipates quickly. Head settles with constant carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

S: oooh...a lot of herbs. Clove, sage, parsely, rosemary, thyme, and a spicy hopness.

T: very herbal spicemess. Good mouthful of spices mix well together. A spicy hopness at the tip of the tongue, finishes dry and the evaporation releases the spices at the back of the palate.

M: excellent bite to the tongue. No coating of the mouth. Feel the spiciness at the back of the nose.

D: very good brew. Great on a hot summer day.

4.82/5  rDev +25.5%

Thick foamy white head which gradually recedes leaving excellent lacing, underneath sits a vibrant gold body, slightly hazy.

Citrus hops lead, some yeast? notes, grainy, some sourness, apples, slight tart, clove.

Citrus hops most noticeable, bready notes, corn, slight earthy bitterness, weak sour undertones, some herb and clove flavors detectable.

Medium carbonation but smooth and slightly creamy.

A complex, deliciously flavored beer, great to enjoy regularly or with a good dinner.

4.8/5  rDev +25%

The first thing that hits you is the amazing aroma of the hops when you pour it. This beer has a wonderful complex hoppiness and light mouthfeel. There are also some sweet fruit flavors on the backend. All round great beer. I don't think this is a beer you would be drinking a lot of, but it is certainly enjoyable with or with out food.

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

Was able to try this on tap over the course of a month at both Blue Palms in Hollywood, The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, Father's Office in Culver and The Golden State Cafe in West Hollywood. All were consistently superb.

Pours dark gold, slightly hazy hue with decent head and medium carbonation that subsided to fine lacing.

The NOSE is intensely 'green' and herbaceous: rosemary, sage, basil, evergreen and even a touch of fresh hash and candied orange. Wonderful balance of hops vs. earth/savory aromas, that belies it's bright, crisp MOUTHFEEL. The savory flavors of herbs are matched by a very slight malt sweetness and carmelized citrus from the hops on the PALATE.

Delicious, complex and very session-able. Not exactly something you'd want to start your night with if you were thinking of trying some lighter fare as there's a lot going on there...but still: very approachable. Many of my non-beer-drinker friends really really enjoyed this one. Good job, you triumvirate, you! Can't wait to see how you fine tune the next one!

4.78/5  rDev +24.5%

A classic Belgian Saison is a combination of light pale malts, fruity, citrus and spicy flavors with a quenching, sometimes tart mouthfeel. While spice is meant to play a potent role in this beer along with moderate hops, herbs are not supposed to. Theres that word again - supposed. Who really cares what the beer is supposed to taste like? Isn't real and delicious flavor the real goal? And who cares how that goal is reached! Greg, Bill and Sam of Stone, Victory and Dogfish Head are the perfect trio to answer these questions, and they did with flying colors!

This saison is literally brewed with bags of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Wheat malts were also added to give this beer a delicate, floral and effervescent feeling. Also, a newer hop variety, citra, was used to add a crisp citrus and slightly earthy character to the beer. This tasting was my first bottle, which was graciously sent to me by Stone (thanks guys!), but I am going to have to hunt for more, because I am still reeling with the feeling from enjoying this amazing creation. Well done guys!

Normally, I would open a big spicy saison around cellar temperature, but knowing that this bottle is from Stone, I did anticipate a reasonable dose of quenching hops, and wanted to enjoy the crisp refreshment that I was sure it would offer me. I opened the BUFF at a cool 8C (45F) and poured it into a Dogfish Head snifter. The pour was soft and delicate forming rich carbonation in the bottom of the beer as waves of clean golden saison rushed in to build a terrificly sturdy two inch white head. It was pillowy with precise carbonation and a great cloud like appearance. The beer itself was a slightly hazy, but overall was a transparent golden yellow showing light streaks of rich straw, bright orange and glimmering copper.

This glass was a beauty to behold - I snapped several shots as fast as I could in excitement, then held the beer into the light to admire it. It has been a while since a golden beer astounded me with a rich color like this and a luscious head. As exciting as it looked, the nose broke open the shackles and out poured hugely complex streams of aromas.

Sweet pale malts and fresh wheat first float easily into my nose showing a bright and clean beer. Quickly though, huge waves of herbs, floral hops, and citrus jump right in. The fresh grassy aromas of sage, earthy and gentle thyme and parsley, and the aromatic oils of rosemary bring me to a world of flavor which I have only previously encountered in food - and never to this sort of refreshment. Gentle hop bitterness glides in showing the clear path of the citra hop with juicy citrus notes, a light floral funk and added touches of sweet lemon. Hints of ripe fruits make their way in the back and play with fresh spice and wheat.

A superbly impressive nose got me very excited for the beer itself, and I could not wait any longer. I dove in and was richly rewarded with a smooth and creamy, yet effervescent beer showing the perfect combination and balance of sweet, savory, bitter, herb, spice, fruit and tart. The pale malts bring crisp sweet favors onto your tongue initially showing hints of banana and lemon peel. Soft wheat comes in with it showing light vanilla and fresh hay fields. This malt fresh sweetness is but a brief introduction to this beer, because in less than a blink your palate is opened to the freedom of flavor.

In comes hugely aromatic and clean waves of herbs, spice and hops. They intertwine in a lively state of victory. The sage is very grassy and fresh and pairs perfectly with the crisp, citrus and slightly minty flavors of the citra hop. Bright fresh lemon sweet flavors dance on my tongue, as rosemary brings a deep oily herbal flavor into my cheeks, while parsley and thyme balance the beer with earth, light funk and freshness. Spice is blended into every aspect of this beer, and the addition of the wheat malts helps it elegantly enhance each flavor with mellow vanilla and a clean, bright freshness.

In the back I am still reaching to find all the complex layers of flavor here. The herbs are perfectly distinct, and with the hop varieties adding a delicious fresh pine, and slightly minty character to the beer. This is really perfectly quenching. The mouthfeel is rewardingly calm with precise carbonation and a smooth crisp finish. It shows light spice, fresh herbs (mostly the sage), and again the sweet, and lightly tart flavors of lemon peel at the end. I want more of it - theres no other way around it. I want more! I can guarantee you have never had a beer like this before.

I can also guarantee that this beer would pair so perfectly with a huge range of foods! I'm thinking herb lasagna, pesto, roast turkey, beef or chicken. Even hamburgers, fish and chips, chili or pizza would be an amazing accompaniment for this unique and exciting beer. I am very excited to see what the next two versions will produce!

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

My fiance picked this up for me.

Appearance- golden color, nice foamy head

Smell- wonderful, fresh, herbal aroma, really get the herbs

Taste- herbal spices, awesome, Rosemary, sage and thyme really hits head on.

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied, dry finish

Drinkability- Awesome!! Wish I could get more

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%

great beer~

love the smell, natural herbs was a twist but enjoyable,

head was great foamy with a eggshell color fizzy.

taste was amazing I've never been so delighted to drink the rest of a beer at a tasting before!

get one if you can find it! we still have some in the store

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a light-gold color with a large, fluffy head into my pint glass. Great presentation for what it is. Certainly looks the part of a saison.

Aroma is full of herbs with a strong amount of sage followed by rosemary and parsley. Certainly fits the description and a very interesting way to brew a saison. There's also the subtle spice from the yeast to add to it.

Taste is full of lemon/citrus, sage and parsley upfront. Very interesting combination and literally puts the herb and spice into a belgian style. Easy to drink and a good dose of hops upfront that are just right.

Mouthfeel is a bath of lingering herbs, citrus and spice from the yeast. Somewhat dry but not overly complex.

An excellent collaboration beer between all three breweries. It showcases the strengths of each brewery and I believe it's the first time I've seen a DFH/Stone collaboration as well. Both breweries are known for pushing the limits of beer and combined with Victory, certainly push the saison style to something with more character.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Thought I'd try this beer with all the hype surrounding it, and I must say its pretty good.

Pours a golden color with a good amount of head, leaves almost no lacing.

Smells like herbs and a slight sourness tinge. I would swear that I smell basil and parsley, but basil is not listed.

Tastes like herbs and a sour taste. The herbs are a lot more up front than anything else, which is nice. Very unlike any saison i've had.

Mouthfeel is prickly and light. Very good for a saison.

Drinkability is great, i'd drink a lot of these. Fantastic beer.

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap into a stemmed glass

The color is hazy golden-yellow color with two fingers of creamy white head. I think it looks rather appetizing.

The smell is a really nice light fruit flavor with some apple and a nice sweet malt flavor. It is a well managed complex flavor.

The taste is a nice smooth flavorful fruit experience, There was at first a little apple skin and a bit of citrus hop that was bitter but wonderfully flavorful. Some nice granny smith apple and grapefruit took at bit of a bit into my taste buds and let me sink into a great beer.

The feel of this beer was very crisp and refreshing. Some nice smooth feel makes this beer a very drinkable offering and a really great collaboration beer. One of my favs.

4.69/5  rDev +22.1%

Perfect golden pour with a foamy white head. Lots of hops and citrus in the nose, atypical for the style but very mouthwatering. Tangerine, pineapple and peaches dominate the taste which come with a grassy hoppy aftertaste and citrusy bitterness. Wow, a great tasting and unique brew. Comes out like a marriage between an American IPA and a saison. This brew is a treat and must be sought out immediately.

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%

A: cloudy golden yellow with fluffy white head

S: lemon, black pepper, rosemary

T: I taste everything that I mentioned in the smell. In addition I get a pinch of sweet honey and a nice mild grassy hop character. This beer has a great balance in flavors.

M: real nice for a saison. Very smooth and crisp.

D: I would love to have a few of these on a nice summer day. Great beer.

Thoughts: The brewmasters all did a great job on this. I love all the flavors and their balance is incredible.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a translucent deep golden-orange with a tall white head that clings a bit to the side of the glass like soap suds. The beer looks like it's on fire, with copious carbonation rising through the center of the glass, like smoke from a fire.

My first impressions was of the characteristic, Stone-over-the-top hops, then the herbal aroma hit me. Wow! Very fresh.

Huge refreshing herbal taste. I really get the sage, but the parsley, rosemary and thyme are more muted, trying to cut through both the sage and the hops. Nicely sweet malt, and some pineyness from the hops as well.

Good moderate mouthfeel with high carbonation resulting in a peppery feel in the throat and chest.

This is increcibly drinkable. I know this is probably atypical of Saisons, but this is my favorite Saison to date. It goes down easy. Everything meshes. Waaay refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer night.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a golden, slightly hazy color. A fluffy white (very white) head sits on top, with a good amount of bubbles streaming up the middle.

The aroma is fresh, and very strong of herbs. It would be easy to say this is over spiced, but I thought it was really nice. Parsely comes through and is instantly recognizable. The rosemary seems to be the strongest of all, and is fresh and of high quality. Traditional beer aromas are minimal, with just enough yeast character to indicate that this is a beer your smelling and not a spice rack. So instead of reviewing this as a saison, I'm considering it a spiced/herbed beer, and for that I can't think of a better use of herbs in a beer.

The flavor is also bordering on overwhelming, but it's still tasty, and in a way, balanced. Foccacia bread comes to mind first. There is also more of the base saison flavor than in the nose. Even though it's minimal, the saison style really complements the beer. It's sweet and yeasty up front, with the nose really helping to bring out all the flavors. A full, robust herbal flavor is found in the middle, while the finish is dry and spicy. I really get the feeling that the brewers did a lot of tweaking to balance the flavors and bring out the herbs in the beer the best they could.

The mouthfeel is light bodied, but firm. There is a good level of carbonation, and a dry finish that complements the herbal flavor.

The only downside to this beer is that it's almost strictly a novelty. It was very nice to try, and I'll get it again, but as far as drinkability goes, this is a treat beer that is more of an experience than it is a traditional beer.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice golden color. Tons of carb bubbles kicking off the bottom give this one a lively look. Big frothy, sticky white head is the clincher for this one looking great. Smell starts off surprisingly fruity, some orange peal apricot. Smell quickly moves to spicy, coriander being the highlight. Pepper, sage and a full complement of others kick in to give this one incredible complexity. Taste matches the smell in complexity. This is one of the best saison's I've ever had. As good as expected from this all star team of brewing. Thanks for hooking me up cisco.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

This past Sunday my buddy John and I had the opportunity to stop at Moe's Tavern in Lee, MA for a very special treat: Saison du BUFF on tap! Saison du BUFF is a collaboration beer from Dogfish Head, Stone and Victory breweries. I have two bottles at home that I've been saving, and now can compare them against the kegged beer. This beer is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme... yep, a big ol' glass of Simon & Garfunkel.

Appearance: Nice hazy straw color beer with frothy white head.

Smell: Quite a bit going on here. A tart spiciness that was peppered with herbs. Mainly sage and thyme coming through as far as the four herbs go. Some tacky sweet notes to the nose as well, like the faint aroma of honey that's been stirred into tea.

Taste: Wow! Even more going on here! Initial light sweetness breaks quickly to lemon zest, rosemary and yes, parsley (so the other two herbs come marching in). Nice back end herby notes, again with more tartness and now some bittering.

Mouthfeel: Thinner feel than it looks in the glass. Clean, somewhat dry finish. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: This goes down like water on a hot day. The sweet-tartness up front combined with the clean bitter finish really lend this beer to be finished off quite quickly (as we discovered first hand).

Overall: I am exceptionally pleased with this beer, and can't wait to try it in bottle. Perhaps that will be on the menu this evening. If you see this beer, get it. It's limited, and is worth trying. And if you live within radius to Moe's, call to see if it's still on tap!

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

so not my normal drinking session, i decided to sit in the park after work with this one that i kept in the cooler all day at my desk and poured into a ccb pint glass, enjoyed on 10/08/2010.

really a fantastic pour here with a golden amber color that was completely hazed over and cloudy with a full three inches of head sitting on top of the glass that just dripped down the sides throughout the entire session.

aroma is deep hops and herbs right from the front. dense citrus and floral lavender and herbs come through very clearly and brightly as the smell is intoxicating and just remarkable. i really am not paying attention to those panning this one as i thought it was remarkable. such a bright and flavorful beer. deep citrus hops, lavender and chamomile, hints of herbs, fresh grasses, light spices, just sublime. smooth, light body is nearly perfectly carbonated and left me in awe after each remarkable sip.

overall i am bowled over with this one. really a sublime beer that defines style. perfect beer for a perfect.

4.59/5  rDev +19.5%

From a 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Fluffy head. Settles to a light head w/some lacing.
Cloudy yellow.

Aroma: Outrageously aromatic herbal nose.
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme. All there. Each comes through. Flowery, exotic & absolutely Bursting from the glass.

Palate: Big, dry earthy, hoppy, spicy. Herbal. Hint of licorice.
With nice, fine-grained hoppy/spicy bitterness in the finish.

Saison doesn't get more spicily refreshing than this.

94 Points.

Cheers to Stone, DFH & Victory for this great Collab Brew!

4.57/5  rDev +19%

A: Hazy, golden blonde, bubbly. Rocky white head, excellent retention.

S: Wow, incredibly herbal upon swirling. Fresh cut grass, parsley, and citrus rinds. Yeast is overwhelmed by these characteristics but I don't mind...interesting to say the least. Downright incredible aroma to say the most.

T: Follows the nose with herbal qualities, and the citrus rind in the nose reveals itself as fat juicy hops. I love how herbal and spicy this is! Once again...grass, parsley, and now rosemary/thyme. Textbook yeasty characteristics are now present along with some delicate honey drizzled malt sweetness. A somewhat different approach compared to saisons I've had, an experiment gone right maybe?

M: Light and bubbly, as it should be. Refreshing..

D: A flat out 5.0 drinkability. Complex and flavorful, yet refreshing and quaffable. Alcohol is not apparent.

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%

yeah this beer is magic. It goes down so smooth and is quite deliciousl It tastes like tree sap, honey, lemon, and chewed bubble gum with a mouth feel of tingly butterflies. Smells very citrusy with no hops really present. An amazing session beer if it wasnt five dollars a bottle. I would never buy it myself but nonetheless delicious.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.