Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,172 | Reviews: 513

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a nice golden yellow with a finger and a half of head that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is very strongly spiced and herbal...wowee. Heavy notes of lemon peel and banana as well. The alcohol is noticeable at 6.8%.

The flavor is herbal and alcoholic. Not as much depth as I would have guessed from the nose. A bit musty too. Not really tasty at all actually.

The body is light and carbonation is spot on. Overall this is just unfortunately not a good beer.

2.76/5  rDev -27.4%

Soapy white lid over a golden straw colored see through body.

Wow, this is one incredibly spice heavy aroma. I get about everything but the kitchen sink in this one. Mint, basil, rosemary, sage, tarragon, pepper, piney hops, lemon pepper and some orange rind??

THe taste is both herbal, spicy and bitter. Very dry and refreshing, however I am not pleased by all of the spices. It seems like a bit much. Just kinda messy to be honest.

Nice feel on this one. Very light, crisp and carbonated.

A good idea on paper, I like the concept. THat said I feel like there is just a bit too much going on in this beer. It is too busy and kinda messy. I am glad I got to try this collaboration from 3 of my favorite brewers.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Disney scotch ale glass (yes, they exist...) in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the breweries. I'm growing increasingly skeptical of collaboration brews anyway. ABV is 7.7%; this is the 2012 vintage.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of okay cream, decent thickness, and pretty good retention for the high ABV. Colour is a clear yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightfully malty, with a heavy herbal and spicey character that I quite fancy. I get parsley and rosemary per the label, but not thyme so much. Some honey. In any case it's quite fresh and appealing. I can't wait to try it, though I'm disappointed that no yeast comes through. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Herbal, with some of its character bordering on medicinal. Honey comes through along with clean straw and bright malts. I wouldn't call it full-bodied, but it's fresh and flavourful. Well balanced and built, though it lacks complexity or much subtlety. I do like it for what it is. It's too sweet, especially on the climax. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet - a bit too much so. Too thick. Adequately carbonated.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but lacking depth or much complexity. It's almost a bit too fresh for its own good, as though they should have held onto it before bottling. It feels fresh from the fermenter, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. I'd try the other variations, but I wouldn't get this one again. Saison fans should look elsewhere.

C

2.81/5  rDev -26.1%

poured into a tulip, nice clear looking golden color. smells like pasta. very herbal, tomato-y.

rosemary and thyme dominate, parsely finishes it out. really over spiced. i don't want to feel like i'm drinking spaghetti sauce.

mouthfeel is light, drinkability is not good. this beer is way over spiced. i'm okay with spiced beer but this beer pushes the limit.

maybe i have terrible taste but i don't want to feel like im drinking spaghetti sauce in a saison.

2.84/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Troubadour tulip. Best before August 16, 2011.

Clear light amber body with a whispy ivory head that recedes quickly to a gossamer slick surrounded by a small collar.

Herbaceous nose is full of spicy earthy greenery. Pale malt and minty hops accentuate the herbs.

Thyme, basil, sage, etc. form a weedy palate entry which is vegetal and borderline overwhelming (though less so in the bottle than from a fresh keg). The yeast that should be central to any good saison is nowhere to be found, instead there is a mild hop bitterness and a malty core struggling to offset the gimmicky potpourri.

Rather thin with average carbonation and no effervesence. Again, rather poor for the style and anything but "buff."

More interesting than good - freedom from convention here supersedes respect for tradition. Best served with food, but otherwise avoided.

2.85/5  rDev -25%

Had this on tap tonight before a movie. Didn't know much about it, so I went in with a clean mind...sometimes objectivity isn't the best way to approach a beer I've now realized.

Arrived a slight amber pale, hazy with a decent foam head.

Overwhelming aroma of rosemary and herbs, some grapefruit and lemon in there. Even though I found it somewhat repulsive I give it a 3 because I assume they were aiming for a big rosemary nose and they nailed it.

Based on the aroma not looking forward to to the taste...which actually wasn't as bad. At first. Starts as a light refreshing citrusy saison, bit funky, and then the taste of someone spilling their italian herb blend in hits me. The base beer seems quite promising, but the herb thing just plain sucks. Zesty, bit of a tart astringent finish. 4oz probably would have been enough. The beer gets near solid 3s just because the base beer seems quite tasty...if it wasn't as solid this would be 2s all the way.

I don't get excited about Collaboration beers, and this is the perfect reminder for me. No more plunking down my money for a bunch of brewers to get together and circle jerk.

2.87/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured all head at first, white and slow to drop. There's an immediate strong hoppy smell like a strong IPA. Body is a hazy yellow. Tasty is both hoppy and herby and considering it has a spice cabinet of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme in it no wonder. Finish is too bitter. I'm not sure where they get off calling this a saison because the flavor isn't really from the yeast or malt so much as the spices and although other saison's might have zest or peppery spicing they don't go down the savory route like this example. Saisons are supposed to be refreshing beers brewed for farm hands whereas this is more of a savory broth I'd target to the autumn.

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Yuck! Way over spiced, no balance.

2.91/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a slightly darker than straw colored golden. Nice 3 fingers of fluffy white head and excellent retention and lace. Lots of active carbonation rising up from the nucleation point. Looks quite good.

Smells of lemony citrus and italian spices-- almost like a chicken marinade that I would use on the grill. I actually want to use this beer as a marinade now! There is, aside from the spices listed on the bottle, a white pepper and a whole black peppercorn note that I get as well. Not a whole lot of noticeable malts on this one in the nose-- but there is a slight dry spicy malt I get-- perhaps some barley and wheat? Hints of orange peel come creeping in now too. I am not particularly fond of the taste of this beer. I prefer my saisons a little more refreshing. This ends on such an herbal/spice note that it really hurts this beers' overall score in my book.

The mouthfeel is fine. Good carbonation. And I could drink this if it were offered to me... But I won't buy any more of it.
Just not one for me, I guess.

2.91/5  rDev -23.4%

A-pours a slightly hazy straw colored beer with a nice tight off white head with a great lace.

S-different, tons of rosemary and sage on this, lots of herbal spices. notes of citrus and a touch of honey towards the back.

T-not really a fan, so much spice in this, the rosemary and sage really come through. probably thyme in there but not sure what that tastes like. pepper spice as well, notes of lemon and honey with a light lingering bitterness.

M-syrupy texture, medium body, reasonably smooth, lots of carbonation and a good crisp finish.

D-the spice is insane in this and lingers for quite some time. it is actually a little weird and I just don't think it works for me.

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

Big thanks to GoGriz for this bottle!

Simon & Garfunkel would be so proud (or so litigious...whichever...). It pours an almost clear, somewhat hazy golden straw topped by a more-than-healthy couple fingers of white froth. The nose comprises a dichotomous mixture of wheat and citrus assaulted by a a horde of window-box garden spices (must be the S&G "Canticle" spices). The spices return to dominate the tongue as well, providing more than enough garnish for the dish, both literally and figuratively. Some citrus flies in behind them, but this is quickly quashed by a strong earthy/spicy collaboration. Still, though, the herbs/spices maintain their iron-clad grip on the situation. This is the first time I've experienced a sammich's filling be completely o'ershadowed by the bread. Honestly, I think I find it a bit too much. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I gotta say I am underwhelmed by this brew. Brewing with the window-box greens is fine, but I don't think they should dizzominate the proceedings like they do here.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.