Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,172 | Reviews: 513
4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

I admire all three of the brewing companies. I couldn't see myself not enjoying this beer. potentially impartial.

bottle had some sediment/yeast at the bottom. I suspect its a bottle conditioned beer. Also suggesting smaller batches.

head is light and fluffy, very healthy looking.

I think in the smell the spices are most apparent. It smells really interesting. Lemon-zest and rosemary and also some slight yeast notes as well.

copper color. Crystal clear at first, as I did not pour the sediment at first. This beer tastes better with the sediment poured in. The clarity is compromised obviously, but I feel the like mouthfeel and taste are much more flowing and balanced out with the sediment included.

I think it might have a similar hop regiment to the Prima-Pils.
Good bitterness and a nice tartness at the end. lemony and spiced. Mouthfeel is light, an excellent beer for a summer day.
really delicious.
compliments to the Chefs.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle sampled from a Piraat glass.
The bottle states that "It's a Saison, of sorts..." interesting. Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...nice.

Pours a hazy straw color with a two finger fluffy white head on top. The head is slowly sinking down, but is staying pretty consistent.

Whoa! That aroma is powerful...incredibly floral. Right off the bat there is the essence of summer wildflowers, roses, and lilies. Behind that, there are notes of the aforementioned herbs, as well as some citrusy hop bitterness, peppercorn, and damp earth. A funky aroma, very earthy.

The first note in the flavor that hits me is that of anise. After that, there are some really peppery notes, and a fine mix of those green herbs mentioned above (the rosemary really stands out...giving some interesting flavor to this beer). The taste is complex, and this collaboration is a nice nod to creativity and craft.

The one thing that seems to detract from this beer is the carbonation...there is too much of it in the mouthfeel. Where a light carbonation might pull out the flavors, the amount here seems to mute them. The aroma lends so much to the enjoyment of this beer, but the carbonation takes that down a few notches. It's too effervescent on the tongue, especially when being swallowed.

Overall, this is a unique take on the style, and pretty tasty. Definitely worth a try.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very clear gold. No sign of haze. Great two finger head leaves some moderate lace behind.
The smell is unique, all the normal bready, earthy notes are right up front but the herbs in the background really add a nice complexity to the beer. Mmmm sage.
The taste is just as unique as the smell. The herbs give it a bit of a medicinal quality that isn't as enjoyable in the taste as the smell. Citrus right up front but the herbs are all I really taste after that.
I like the experimentation, but this one for me, was a miss. For the price, I'm glad I got a chance to try it. $3.69 I think.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Aroma: Heavy blend of herbal notes are forefront on the nose. Spices seem to lean toward Thyme and Rosemary, at least that's what I can pick up on the most. Some black pepper and hints of caramel and light malts, white bread, push through the herbs. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Pale yellow and slightly hazy with active carbonation bubbles seen rising to the top. Head holds low with a ring of white foam around the edge.

Flavor: Hops! A fresh blast of hops surprisingly hits the tongue at first sip. Grapefruit citrus comes out hard, but is quickly quelled by the herbal presence of Rosemary and thyme. There is a sweetness that seems to come not only from expected barley/caramel, but there is also an herbal sugar that seems blended in. Thin through the middle where the flavors all seem to fade for a moment, then the beer finishes with another visit from the hops and fresh grass herbs.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation. The carbonation lifts the body somewhat but the beer still comes off light and refreshing in the mouth. Very dry finish with some lingering hop resin in the finish.

Overall: If you've never had a 'spice, herb, or vegetable' beer this is a very good place to start. The beer nicely demonstrates that herbs normally thought of solely for cooking, can be successfully applied in brewing. The hop bitterness and flavor are surprisingly high considering they're not recognizable in the aroma. In fact I wouldn't mind if the hops were backed off a little to Ellet the spices come through even more.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

Clear golden yellow with big white head with good retention. Very herbal aromas sage and some sweetness. Taste is salty and herbal with sage and some funk with a good bitter linger and almost no sweetness. A pretty salty finish that dies down a bit as you finish. Very crisp and refreshing mouthfeel.

What can I say? It's what you might expect from such a collaboration: a very unique beer tasting experience. The aromas are fantastic it was just a little too salty in places to make me really want another one. This is something that must be tried.

4.39/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - a darker golden color with 2 fingers of white head.

Smell - a citrus smell with a background of hops

Taste - a bitter overlay throughout the whole drinking process with some citrus undertones. the citrus is very unique and unlike anything i've ever had. It is mighty tastey.

Mouthfeel - the bitter makes me have a dry mouth after i drink it. I have had bitter fruity beer that leaves me refreshed but this one makes me a little thirsty. but the citrus is refreshing, too bad the bitter qualities last longer than the citrus ones.

Drinkability - Despite the bitterness i am very intrigued with the citrus taste and want more of it.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. into a tulip

A: Pours a golden/straw yellow clear color with a two-finger frothy white head which quickly settles to a half-finger head. Great lacing on the glass.

S: Right up front I get the big hop profile I have come to know and love from these brewers, Stone in particular. Lots of juicy citrus fruits and pineapple aromas plus a big floral bouquet. I can smell the rosemary and sage pulling through in a big way too. Not that much funk or yeast though, so not typical of saisons I have had, but not bad either.

T: Juicy, mouthwatering, and piney hops dominate the flavor of this brew and make it decently bitter without going overboard. Sweet but yet tart like a saison. Parsley plays a minor role, sage and rosemary dominate the flavor as far as the spices go. Thyme is quite apparent as well. Decent malt presence in the aftertase. I'd agree with others and say that this tastes much more like a spiced IPA than any saisons I am familiar with.

M: Crisp, light, and refreshing like a saison should be. High carbonation, another aspect of what I think of when I hear saison.

D: Nice and refreshing with an interesting flavor and nose. I can see this pairing well with a gamey meat with a herb and butter sauce or a simple stuffing.

Overall, this is not what I would call a saison. I really loved this beer regardless, but I do think it should be re-labeled. A great brew from three of my stand-by breweries. If it were a seasonal or year-round, and a bit cheaper too, I would buy this much more than once.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.
a: slight orange straw colored. thick fluffy head with nice lacing and plenty of carbonation.
s: It smells very belgiany. The aroma of yeast and spices are most noticeable
t: The herbs used in the brew, parsley sage rosemary and thyme are definatley noticeable but not overpowering. They are very pleasant. It seems these herbs are used the same way hops would be used to impart flavor. Very different.
m: Thin, dry and highly carbonated.
d: Although I really enjoy this beer I doubt I would be able to drink more than 1 or 2 of these in a sitting.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance - Dark yellowish/orange body with a very thick white head that settles very quickly leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. Poured into an Allagash Belgian Style Chalice.

Aroma - Very hoppy kick with a fruity citrus undertone.

Taste - Very mild alcohol taste, fruit and hops are very prevalent, other flavors as well. I was warned there was a large sage kick to it, although I was not previously familiar with the spice, I am now.

Mouth - Much spicier than other saison's I've had. There is a slight bitterness that lingers after the beer is gone. Almost has a vanilla kick to it, could be the thyme though.

Drinkability - This is definitely something I can have a couple of (bought in a single bottle.) It's not a good beer for someone that doesn't enjoy a lot of flavor or is just looking for a straight up unfiltered beer. The undertones of spice are very noticeable.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

poured from bottle into xtra large tulip.
A- yellow gold with 1.5 fingers of head. slight lacing
A- Herby, Hopsy citrus. some yeast.
T- Hopsy with a hit of sage then rosemary.
M- light with carbonation continuing throughtout the beer.
D- drinkable if you like hops and herbs. I love both so this is good for me. Kinda reminds me of a clean herby IPA. (dare I say)
I do have to say the high price is a turn off on all these "special" beers that have been coming out lately. Its almost enough to chase someone to drink hard liquor...

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a translucent deep golden-orange with a tall white head that clings a bit to the side of the glass like soap suds. The beer looks like it's on fire, with copious carbonation rising through the center of the glass, like smoke from a fire.

My first impressions was of the characteristic, Stone-over-the-top hops, then the herbal aroma hit me. Wow! Very fresh.

Huge refreshing herbal taste. I really get the sage, but the parsley, rosemary and thyme are more muted, trying to cut through both the sage and the hops. Nicely sweet malt, and some pineyness from the hops as well.

Good moderate mouthfeel with high carbonation resulting in a peppery feel in the throat and chest.

This is increcibly drinkable. I know this is probably atypical of Saisons, but this is my favorite Saison to date. It goes down easy. Everything meshes. Waaay refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer night.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured this into a tulip. Not as much head on this straw colored beer as I though there would be. About a fingers worth of head and decent lacing. Smells great. just like a fresh herb garden. The thyme is really what shines through the nose along with citrus and a bit of a spicy kick. I don't really taste the herbs as much as I thought I would but this hopped up saison hits the pallet nicely. Fresh hops and spices all across my tongue. The carbonation takes away a bit on the mouth feel for me. I guess I would like a little less but this light bodied beer is a great summer time treat. This drinks easy, especially due to the great flavor and aromas.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into my Dogfish super glass

A: Fairly clear golden color with a finger and a half of white head. Nice sticky lacing. Tons of visible carbonation from the nucleation site on the glass.

S: While I cannot pick out any of the individual herbs used to make this beer you definitely get herbs. Smells a little like the herb garden we have going in our backyard. Some continental hops in the back. A little bit of spice from the yeast as well. The nose is probably the best part of this beer.

T: Very floral and yeasty taste. Just a touch of buttery sweetness. Not that much and it actually worked in this beer. The herbs are there but it comes across as a grassy and earthy kind of taste.

M: Little bit dry. Carbonation was nice but I could have used a little bit more.

D: I grabbed a bottle in New York for $9. Then I saw in in MA for $3.99. That should never happen. As for the beer it was nice but even at $4 these Stone collaboration beers are a one and done. Nice beer though. Just not worth $24 a six pack.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%

Pours a light-gold color with a large, fluffy head into my pint glass. Great presentation for what it is. Certainly looks the part of a saison.

Aroma is full of herbs with a strong amount of sage followed by rosemary and parsley. Certainly fits the description and a very interesting way to brew a saison. There's also the subtle spice from the yeast to add to it.

Taste is full of lemon/citrus, sage and parsley upfront. Very interesting combination and literally puts the herb and spice into a belgian style. Easy to drink and a good dose of hops upfront that are just right.

Mouthfeel is a bath of lingering herbs, citrus and spice from the yeast. Somewhat dry but not overly complex.

An excellent collaboration beer between all three breweries. It showcases the strengths of each brewery and I believe it's the first time I've seen a DFH/Stone collaboration as well. Both breweries are known for pushing the limits of beer and combined with Victory, certainly push the saison style to something with more character.

3.99/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle, happily cheaper than the previous Stone collaboration, only $4 or so this time. As usual Stone found kick-ass partners, in this case Victory and Dogfish Head.

The beer is hazy and deep golden-orange colored, thin foam that laces in sheets, lots of small nano-floaties. On first whiff this doesn't seem like a saison, it seems more IPA-ish. Loads of citrus, oranges and guava, also some herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme). I'd almost think there's honey in there too, it's got that sweet aroma like Barbar or Hopslam.

The beer tastes good but nowhere near as good as the nose. The spices come through pretty strong, especially in the aftertaste. But beneath that is a nice IPA flavor that reminds me a little of Alpine Duet. That's high praise, if only there was a little less herb in there.

Maybe my favorite collaboration yet, looking forward to the next one. Stone keeps pushing boundaries, sometimes it works and sometimes it's weird.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

very spicy aroma. I think I'm getting grains of paradise, black pepper and maybe some licorice/anise. Mixed in are honey malt aroma's and just a hint of Belgian yeast farmhouse funk.

Golden colored and a little cloudy with a rocky white head that is fed by a lot of rising carbonation bubbles. The head leaves some lacing.

Flavor starts out a little tart, like citrus but not the same citrus I associate with hops. The malt is sweet and candi sugar. Yeast effect, lots of them. Probably what really makes this kick. There's an earthy flavor and a bread yeast and lots of spice. Maybe the spice is added but I still get Anise and a light pepper flavor.

Medium bodied but kind of aggressive carbonation. The carb. gives it a bite that seems a little rough.

Overall a really unique Belgian-style beer. With saison being kind of a catch-all interpretive style, this one stands apart from many Belgian inspired beers. This would be a good one to pair with spicy food or a vegetable course.

2.46/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A darkish yellow color that popped up a small white head. Looks somewhat carbonated.

S - Odd kind of peppery smell, strange collaboration of spice. Little yeasty with some earth tones. It smells kind of like a spiced mess.

T - I think whoever initially entered this beer on the site mis-classified it. It is not a saison. It's also not particularly good. Just a cluster%^#* of strange spice and tastes all jumbled together. Yeasty, with some herb and pepper, little phenol, kind of a sweet bite for a split second that fades into a skunky grass finish. Bizzare.

M - Light bodied, lots of carbonation, a very effervesent brew.

D - Just don't really like this enough to call it very drinkable.

2.12/5  rDev -44.2%

12oz bottle. First of all no way is this a saison. Its more like a terrible collaboration where each brewery took one of their beers and they just mixed them together....Gold with a light tan head, nothing in appearance of note...This goes downhill in the aroma, super herbal, horrendous spice, almost smells like a cactus or aloe lotion. Taste sucks equally, all oily sticky aloe cactus. Might was well cut open a cactus and suck it. Feel is ok, but if you can drink a whole bottle of this sober, you're quite a person.

Yellow-copper with a 1/2 inch white head. Mild carbonation.

Minty, malty aroma. Strong notes of star anise.

Nice peppery flavor. Undertones of orange and/or corriander. Very smooth.

Foamy mouthfeel, a bit astringent.

Very drinkable, filling, but refreshing.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this on tap at T Brendan O'reilly's served in a standard pint.

A - Beautiful golden shade w/ great clarity and a thick sudsy cap of white. The head retains well and the bead is fine. Visible carbonation is noted and the lace clings in a film

S - The smell is aromatic - plenty of herbal notes especially rosemary in the nose and mild pear in the yeast esters w/ spiced notes and mild earthiness present

M - The feel is good, moderate body w/ slight resinous texture and moderate bitterness w/ a mild alcohol presence and long dry finish

T - the taste is toasted with mild herbal flavors and sweet grain w/ mild dry yeastiness and subtle resinous pine accent to the flavor. The malt gives a nice backdrop with a bit of spice and earthiness from the yeast while the majority of the flavor comes from the rosemary there is mild floral and sweet herbal elements in there too

D - The saison hit its mark IMO, a very drinkable beer with lots of herbal flavor, yet this would not be something your average saison would be turned off by. I recommend it as it was pretty easy to quaff and overall well-balanced.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

Saison Du BUFF is light, sparkly, natural, and refreshing.

It poured light straw with a short fleeting white head that left thin but strong sticky rings. The smell was very subtle and nice with touches of natural minty lemon. The flavor was citric and lemony with a lingering metallic aftertaste, much like grapefruit rind. The feel was very bubbly with a bitter finish.

I prefer beer with more body, but The light sparkly feel of Saison Du BUFF, coupled with the subtle natural flavor, make it a refreshing hot weather beer.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a beautiful clear straw golden color with 2 fingers of whipped creamy thick foam with excellent staying power. Nice spider webby lacing left behind.

S - Black pepper and clove jump out at me up front. Citrusy oranges and lemons. A bit flowery. As for the spices, I am definitely getting some rosemary and thyme. Parsley...not so much - maybe a bit grassy like, but that is a stretch. Not getting any sage either. Overall, a very good smelling saison...can't wait to taste it.

T - Spices take over here, but in a good way. The rosemary and thyme are right up front and not at all bashful. Citrus, grassy, herbal flavors all around. A nice bitter bite to complement. Very tasty after mowing the lawn.

M - Light in body with a high carbonation level. Crisp and refreshing with a non stop herbal, coolish feel on the tongue and wafting up into the nose on every breath. Very refreshing...liking the herbal sensations and aromatics a lot.

D - Didn't come into this with extremely high expectations, but I am very pleasantly surprised. Love the saison style in general and the fairly unique herbal flavors in here add some nice complexity and interesting overall effect. Like the cool feeling, spicy and grassy flavors. Glad I grabbed a few of these.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Color is dark straw with a foamy head of loose bubbles that hung on for a good while before receding to the edges leaving great lacing as they went. Looks light, and refreshing. 4.0

Smells quintessentially Saison, with nice floral (maybe some parsely) and lemony notes atop sweet breadiness. I'm suriprised that I just don't pick up on the herbs as much as I thought I would - I mean, Rosemary, that's pretty hard to miss. 4.0

Well carbonated and light mouthfeel, very drinkable. 4.5

Right away you're hit with the citrusy esters ubiquitous with a Saison but the signature herbs of this brew come on fast. I'd call it Herbs de Provence combined with a beer, but surprisingly well balanced; overall it tastes "green". My main critique would be that it's dry and the herbal mouth coating lingers in a not particularly pleasant way. 3.5

Bottom line, with a juicy Margaharita pizza on a hot summer day, fantastic beer. I think you just have to be in the right mood/place for it though. As a stand-alone on any given night, definitely wouldn't qualify as a go-to. Props for what they did here though. B+

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

woah! weird beer, but i guess they meant to create something avant guarde... it's hard to rate because for a saison, it is completely out of the box. interesting. kind of awesome. not what i was expecting. of course. burnt gold with an off-white head that holds well and leaves tons of lace. very pretty. earth (dirt) and herbs hit me first in the nose, followed by lots of lemony, grapefruity, orangey hops that are boosted by a sweet malt, and maybe some salt and pepper in the background. taste is bitter sweet herb hop with a bitter finish that sings with pepper and lemon basil. like drinking a sweet, hoppy ipa in the garden and a little dirt and some of your cooking herbs got in the glass. well-balanced though and ti seems to kind of work. here's where it gets tough to review... mouthfeel. i like my saisons much, much, much more well-attenuated. i want them dry and crisp (it does come off pretty dry in the end, but there is sweet all over the place in this beer and the slickness of the mouthfeel is easy to misperceive as sweetness or fullness), and i want the herbs and spices (if there are any) to be subtle and mysterious. not muddy... mysterious (think fantome). the psr&t do play with the other ingredients in du buff, and they do help to amplify the desirable flavors, so this is kind of cool, they just stand out a little too much in their own little corner. mouthfeel is a little too full for me and carbonation is too low, although i guess the really old saisons were more lightly carbonated, so who knows?... easy to drink. lots of fun food pairing options here. old-school saisons are in and hopped up belgian style beers are cliche. come on guys! what happened to being ahead of the curve?

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

A - gold with a thin head (not sure how long it sat after the pour, though)
S - smoked oysters, citrus / green herbs (literally -- parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme)
T - salty and smokey with grapefruit in the finish. pilsener and wheat malts dry hopped with Citra (best known in Sierra Nevada Torpedo?)
M - light but balanced
D - limited by the smokeyness

Stone's most complex offering to date. will be interesting to compare to the same brew created at DFH and Victory

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.