Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Didn't have my beer journal handy, so this won't be a full-scale review. I love the style, and this is by far the most interesting take on a saison that I've come across. The nose and taste were most similar to Moonlight's Artemis. Artemis was a hop-less beer, whereas this was not. However, the extreme floral and earthy taste which dominated Moonlight was just right in Du Buff.

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

I hate to rate this beer so low but this is the crowning achievement in the awful stone collaborations. The last two collaborations I refer to as the kitchen spices series.

This beer pours a nice golden yellow with bubbles of carbonation and a 1 finger foam head.

Smells like a good saison at first and then it turns into a pizza or those combo pizza chips they used to sell.

At first interesting and great saison taste, then the herbs kick in. Every other sip is horrible. Then eventually, they all are. Were they trying to brew grass?

1st they brew a pepper ipa? then a spice rack saison? Whats next in the grab a random ingredient from the kitchen a brew a beer collaboration.

That being said, I will always support stone and its their choice to keep brewing whatever the hell they want. Ill probably buy it anyway.

2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a bright, clear yellow with just a bit of chill haze. The beer had under an inch of nice white head that had decent retention and minimal lacing.

The aroma has a bold herb and lemon scent (maybe this would be a good marinade for chicken breasts?), with the expected spicy yeast scents buried in the background. On the tongue all that herbiness combines into a slightly unpleasant mess. The yeast flavors I'd been hoping for just barely showed up at the back of the tongue.

The body was average for the style, light and crisp. Drinkability was a little on the hard side, I wouldn't have a second 12oz bottle in a row, and I suspect that a pint would be hard to get through. Overall, I'm not too impressed with this beer, but it's probably worth a shot.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: hazy golden-yellow color with two fingers of creamy white head. I think it looks rather appetizing.

Smell: very hoppy. Hops are quite funky and a little citrusy; the aroma reminds me of green vegetation. Mixed in with that is a little bit of black pepper and a touch of malt aroma. Interesting.

Taste: big helping of funky hop flavor; this definitely lives up to its aroma. Bitterness is moderate, but lower than I would have guessed based on the quantity of hop flavor. Sour, grassy saison character is plentiful here as well. Pretty good, but the overall onslaught is a little rough.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a tendency towards silky creaminess already; on top of that is a nice level of carbonation which makes the experience extremely creamy and enjoyable.

Drinkability: as I said before, there's a fair bit to enjoy in this beer; however, the overall experience is a bit rough. Drinkable, but really sessionable.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into my La Fin du Monde chalice, beautiful slightly hazed bright sunshine golden hue with a bright 3-4 finger stretch of head. Lacing is fine and evenly scattered between sips, nice stuff. Aroma has a bright herbal garden nose, the rosemary additiones stand out but I don't think I could pick out the others individually very pleasant. There's also a pleasant lemon/lime tone to the nos. Flavor is harsh with herbal spices, the underlyng saison is hard to determine because the untraditional brewing additions create a blanket of bitterness I'm guessing the thyme did this. It overpowers chicken when fresh and overused. Mouthfeel is medium bodied not boozey just a cast of bittering herbs sticks to the palate like Tom's organic toothpaste. Drinkability isn't what I was expecting herbal Saisons don't work to well, checkout reviews from Great Lakes version last spring.

Served cool into a pint glass, Saison du Buff is a pale golden yellow color with good clarity and thick white head.

The aroma is what really stands out about this beer. It has a wonderfully floral/herbaceous quality that is surprisingly pleasant.

Flavor is impressive too. Ales brewed with herbs can really be hit or miss but this one is a winner. Nice spicy quality that is fitting for a saison. The herbal aspect is well-judged but the rosemary seems to be the one that stands out the most but that's not really surprising.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well-carbonated.

The only place this beer is not scoring well would be drinkability. It's more of a novelty beer and not something I would have often. That being said, it's still a tasty brew and worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is pretty good, and there's also a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is herbs, citrus (grapefruit, lemon peel), and peppery spice. The herbal flavors in this brew overpower the citrusy and grassy hops flavors, but that's not a bad thing in this case. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and goes down easy. I think it's a good overall brew, the mix of herbs used in it work great. I've had mixed experiences with beers brewed with herbs, but luckily this one turned out good.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

It seems like these collaborations are the only Stone beers I buy anymore and maybe there is a reason for that. Bright golden yellow with a yeasty smell to it like a saison should. I like dteh flavor even if it was very heavy on the thyme. It almost seemed like it had some hops going on but that may have been the herbs. Overall, a good saison.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%

Consumed May 15th, 2010 at The Daily Pint, Santa Monica, CA.

Clear medium golden/amber with a one-finger white head amde of exceptionally fine bubbles.

Aromatic: spicy, powdery and sweet bordering on syrupy. Notes of fruit as well: apricots and citrus.

Flavor is light verging on thin. Nearly evaporative with a mildly bitter, hoppy aftertaste. Lightly spicy, but not the melange of spices I was expecting based on the ingredients.

Mouthfeel is a tad thin, watery.

After the outta-the-ballpark aroma, I was let down by the flavor. Not terrible, but doesn't live up to its promise.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear golden-orange color. Light slightly rocky white head quickly turns to a heavy film with some big clusters of bubbles.

Smell: Has a spicy aroma of oranges, with hints of yeast, salt, and herbs coming through.

Taste: An even blend of noticably hoppy citrus and yeast. Sweet at the start and through the finish, but there's this arresting bitterness in the aftertaste, like burnt spices. With more sips, the sharp bitter aftertaste shifts towards just being astringent, and you can taste the herbs (sage, rosemary, and thyme per the bottle) throughout. It is hard to pinpoint any one standing out... they all tend to pop out from time to time. Eventually you get a bit of lingering salt flavor in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied with minimal viscosity. Mostly smooth, with just a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: The flavor is a bit tough here, and while the ABV isn't very high it feels like there is a lot for some reason.

Interesting, but what the heck? This is pretty off the wall; seems that they were stretching to figure out what to do here. You know these guys can do better - sometimes it is best to stick to what you already do well.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Clear, golden yellow body with a huge fluffy white head.

Wow, what a glorious aroma! Like sticking your nose in a bed of mixed herbs. Lavender seems to pop a bit brighter than the other aromas, but you can distinguish Parsley, Sage and Thyme too.

Mmmm...herbal, spicy goodness. Yeah, all four spices are individually detectable here as well, along with a little lemon, and a crisply hoppy finish.

All these spices on the label had me worried, but the flavors have been blended to near perfection. A must try for Saison heads like me!

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a maelsrom of bubbles racing upwards (and that's without tubulation sites on my standard tumbler). Amazing head that won't quit. Smells of honey, white pepper, grassy hops, and just a touch of biscuit. Also a little bit of yeastiness. First sip is very earthy and herbish across the palate. The herbs seem to be just about perfectly balanced with a nice hop bitterness across the back of the swallow. Not really something I could drink more than one of, but interesting enough that I'll probably have another one at some point. Despite the nucleation occuring in the glass the mouthfeel is quite light and smooth. A little creamy.
Overall a solid beer, and the sort of thing to excite lovers of the extreme. For me however it looses a couple of point for being just a bit to much across the herbs. If I weren't told this was a saison I probably never would have guessed it myself. I could see making a delicious lamb stew out of this ale...

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance - Picked this up a few weeks ago and am finally able to get to try this. Pours a hazy straw color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger and a half of head is achieved which dissipates relatively slowly, leaving great looking lacing.

Smell - Wow! I was surprised by the nose. Loads of citrus up front (un-ripened grapefruit) followed by some slight hoppy tones and barnyard funk. Lots of spices/herbs are prevalent after a few more whiffs which include sage and parsley.

Taste - Not what I was expecting from the nose. An immediate hoppy sensation but it is followed by some odd herbal taste. The sage comes through way too much in my opinion and is quite off putting to be perfectly honest. As I type, I took a sip about a minute ago and I still have the lingering flavor of the sage and other heavy herbs lingering on my palate. I'm not so sure about this collaboration...

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, yet creamy. Low carbonation overall.

Drinkability - One of the rare beers in my opinion that tastes nothing like the nose. The nose came across as amazing, but the taste itself is extremely off putting. I have one more left and will probably give it as an extra...to someone I don't like, heh.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Usually not a fan of the collabs, but for $3 I thought this was worth a shot (a lot better price point than other collab offerings).

Appearance- Nice, rich golden. An inch of soapy, slightly yellowed head. Dissipates pretty quickly. No real lacing.

Smell- Herbal, grassy-type hops. A little peppery, with some lemon rind as well. It's quite herbal. Possibly real herb, as opposed to herb-smelling hops. Actually quite nice.

Taste- It's got a nice hoppy, herbal thing. But then it gets very green, bitter, and the herbs get strange. Sage, too much sage. A little grainy as well. There's a weird savoriness in the middle that is quite off-putting. It has a little sweet, but it's very grassy and bitter. Citric finish is very nice.

Mouthfeel- I can't get over the savoriness in the middle. It gets weird and heavy. The carbonation comes through on a springy finish. Not sure the richness is really a mouthfeel issue, but my mouth responds like there's something heavy in it.

Drinkability- One and done. The herbs are getting to me.

Another beer that is more interesting than good. I think this beer had a chance until they bombarded with herbs. The nose is fantastic however. Unfortunately, it does not translate well. I love the smell of a juicy steak, but I don't want to drink one.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer poured a clear straw color and formed a foamy snow white head that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, malt, biscuits, citrus and pepper. The flavor was of hops, pepper and flowers. The body is medium light and the the finish slightly bitter.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Bought at a local BevMo. Poured from the bottle into my snifter glass.

A - A hazy light orange with one finger width of soft pillow head. There is very nice lacing on my glass.

S - Smells of black pepper and spices, light citrus (lemons maybe) and a little bit of belgian malt.

T - Very similar to the nose. The pepper and spices are the main theme of this beer. But the citrus and malts complement it quite nicely. Pepper lingers as the aftertaste.

M - Creamy with medium carbonation. There is a bit of prickliness left on my tongue.

D - I'm not big into the whole spice thing in beer usually, but it works quite nicely for this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

A-Light golden with a white head, great carbonation.

S-Strong herbal smell. I can't pick apart the herbs.

T-Herbal across the palate after awhile all the different herbs come through.

M-Light mouthfeel,highly carbonated. Coats your tongue with herbal-e-ness. Dry, herbal, bitter aftertaste

D-Flavorful and refreshing. Big flavor, different herbs come through on the end of the palate.

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks again to turboedtwo for this treat.

Pours a light, golden-honey yellow with a thin white head. Slightly hazy body with light lacing.

The aroma is malty with a fairly strong herb presence. Sage is the most noticeable. Grassy with subtle hops. Touch of black pepper.

Parsley, sage and rosemary come through the strongest on the taste. Light hop bitterness and some sweet light malts. You can really taste the herbs in this beer. Very interesting. A little bit of medicinal like sweetness and faint floral honey flavors.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, somewhat crisp, and has a touch of lingering herbal bitterness. Carbonation is about perfect.

Easy drinking and quite interesting. I've never had anything quite like this, which boosts the drinkability a bit. A nice change from the typical saison. Well crafted.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. The herbs come through quite nicely and this is a refreshing summer beer. Another winner in the Stone collaboration series. If you like your herbs, then I highly recommend you seek this out; or if you're looking for a change from the regular saison style. Nice job BUFF.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

City Beer Store. Light Golden beer with a big puffy white head. Lots of big bubbles. The aroma is hugely herbal. It reminded me of a savory dish. Sage and rosemary are easier to pick out but it's all a pleasant muddle of savory herbs. The herbs make the malt aroma seem fresh and delicious. The flavor didn't work as well for me. It seemed oddly bland for a saison, much less a saison full of herbs. Medium sweet. Not much in the flavor really sets this beer out as a saison, and it doesn't compare favorably to the heavy hitters from Belgium. Mouthfeel is relatively light. The beer is good but off-style, and, in my opinion, it would have been better with more saison character.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a nice golden color with a nice white head. Seems fairly clear - just a slight haze to the beer. The aroma is where this beer is exceptional. You get the hops mixed in with the herbs with a slight sweetness. Taste-wise, I'm not sure how this compares to other saisons since I haven't tried many and it's been awhile since my last one. But I think they did an excellent job blending the hops with the herbs such that it doesn't over power the malt. It finishes a bit sweet with some piney notes in the palate at the end. Goes great with spicey food.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer and didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. I had it on tap days after the release and it had a bit more bite in the bitterness to it than what I'm tasting in the bottle right now (could just be my taste buds today).

I'm looking forward to tasting the other collaborations that Stone has coming up.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark, golden-apricot color, with a big, rocky white head. Aromas of rosemary, grapefruit and lemon. Pretty floral and herb forward on the palate, with a little honey coming in on the finish. Another pretty decent Stone collaboration brew, but again nothing earth shattering and not worth the $4 price tag.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Golden with an orange-ish tinge and persistent white head.

This beer is all about the herbs with lots of pine, spruce and a dash of lemon peel and flowers. I believe most of what I'm getting is the rosemary, but I can definitely detect the sage and thyme, but no so much the parsley. It's definitely the most mild of the herbs used though, so that's to be expected. Honestly, the herbs are so vibrant it's difficult to detect the spicy yeast notes, not to mention any malt or hop character.

I found this one really pleasant. Probably best in smaller doses. It would be really nice paired with a salad of stronger flavored greens like arugula and radicchio Don't expect to get something "balanced" as the herbs really take over, so if you don't enjoy fresh herbs, don't bother. I, however, thoroughly enjoyed it.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a golden straw yellow with a small white head that faded fairly quickly, although my pour was a very moderate one. There is minimal lacing

S - The smell is of hops as you would expect some Stone made or at least had a part in making. There is also that barnyard saison smell along with the herbs that are described in this beer. Although I could not really smell them individually they did make a pleasant nose together.

T - Taste is slightly hoppy on the front end with some light saison character in the middle and a strong finish of herb/spices. The taste and smell go hand in hand. The taste is pleasant overall but I times flavors can be out of balance and the herbs can be a little overpowering

M - Mouthfeel is good. I enjoyed the way this beer felt in my mouth as I drank it. Its light as you would expect and has the right amount of carbonation, along with some nice residue renaming in my mouth after taking a sip.

D - Drinkability is good and because this beer feels so light it is very easy to drink quickly. Although I think after a while a spices and herbs could become a bit overwhelming and keep me from drinking more.

Overall an interesting saison. I enjoyed the herbs but I felt that they could be a bit overwhelming at times. I had it with a BBQ chicken dinner and I though it went well but I am glad a split a glass because I feel this beer may be a bit unbalanced. An interesting and good saison interpretation from Stone DFH and Victory.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Unexpected purchase via a recommendation from the local beer store owner.

A -- Clear, pale gold with a slow settling, off white head. Very little lace.

S -- Citrus esters, spiciness, bubblegum hints, even some vague, sweet malt in the end.

T -- Fruitiness up front that lingers into serious tart grapefruit character. Clove spiciness in the finish and aftertaste with the sour/tart of the grapefruit character lingering. There's a soft, bready malt character creating a nice backbone, but the sour/tartness is dominant.

M -- Body is medium light with a soft, smooth mouthfeel.

D -- Very nice to style for the teamwork of 3 small American breweries. There is a certain acidity that lasts through the flavor and body of this beer, but I'm not sure if it's hop or yeast born, maybe both. This could probably keep me from more than one, but I can see this being delicious on a very hot day.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a tulip glass from the tap at Tony's Darts Away; head fades fast leaving behind sticky lace.

Tropical and citrus fruits on the nose with an herbal hint of rosemary. Golden amber with a solid one fingers worth of off-white head. Second whiff yields parsley and time.

Strong herbal flavor of rosemary with a sweet and slightly spicy/hoppy finish. Tastes of apricots an peaches are noticeable as well, which conjures up images of Sam from DFH lugging bags of apricots for his Aprihop brew. Carbonation is medium/high and the body is light, which are both a plus for the mouth feel. Coats the tongue and is a bit salty as well. Again, the overbearing herbal flavor hinders the drinkability.

The intense herbal flavor is something better kept in the realm of solid food. It tasted a little too much like sipping on roasted chicken broth. Bitterness lingers a bit too long, but not in a harsh way; but rather in a past your welcome kind of way. Nice idea, but better kept on the drawing board.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.