Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Poured all three "BUFF" beers in line.
Stone: Poured from bottle into glass. Slight hazey golden, with foam that is gone quick. Lots of carbonation. Really herbal and citrus hop aromas. You really smell all the herbs in this one. Taste is typical saison funk, but herbal and very citrus hop flavors. Its easy drinker and pretty tastey. Not amazing but not bad.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

[Poured into a generic tulip glass]

I: Yet another cheap bottle I picked up along with my main purchase of Stone's "16th Anniversary IPA". Stone collaborations have been hit or miss in the past, but for around $2.00 nothing much is ever lost. The bottle says that it's "herbaceously outrageous", so I'm assuming this maybe very floral. I'm not the biggest fan of the floral element in certain beer styles, but a Saison will probably suffice.

B: [7.7% ABV. 12 Fl. OZ. 2012 Release] The bottles not much to look at, but it pretty much follows the subtlety of previous collabs. This is probably one of the best set of breweries to do a collab with stone. Dogfish and victory both have great reputations.

A: Transparent/slightly hazy golden body with a very nice fluffy white head(slow/moderate dissipation), and good lacing.

S: No particular dominate smell. Hints of pine, grass, earth, floral, sage, and various fruits(lemon most familiar).

T: They weren't kidding on the bottle when they said it's, "herbaceously outrageous". A floral bomb of grass, earth, lemon throughout, sage, and other spices that linger well into the back on your tongue all complimented by sweet yeast(taste Belgian?). Also that funk that you may get with some other saisons is present. The taste can only be summed up as interesting.

M: sweet/slight dry/crisp finish, medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and light apparent alcohol.

O: This was an interesting brew.... you could even say unique, but is it for the better? Well all I can say is that I'm conflicted. I don't think I was satisfied, but I encourage these sort of experimental beers. It was truly worth the price if anything. So with that said, I would recommend for the experience, but wouldn't continue to buy. Savor Great Beer!

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

2012 bottle.

Cloudy golden colour. Moderately sized white head. Fades to a film fairly quickly. Good lacing.

Herbs and spices stand out strongly. Sage, white pepper, others. Lemon and other light fruits. A bit floral.

Taste is strongly herbal. Sage, rosemary, thyme. Almost peppermint. Some lemon and yeast below. Herbal taste is too much for me.

Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall, not bad. Some good qualities but the herbal focus is not my thing.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

A: pours a cloudy light orange with a small white head that fades to a collar and small pool in a duvel tulip
S: smells of pale malt, fruity esters, and all sorts of herbs with some spicy yeast aroma
T: nice pale malt flavor, a bit of fruitiness, spice from the yeast, sage and many other herbs, maybe some basil. swallow brings another nice herbal kick with a bit of fruitiness and some yeastyness. not a lot of bitterness
M: moderate with soft carbonation and it leaves the palate a bit wet
O: a pretty tasty beer. it has good flavors and nice complexity but isn't quite to style.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

3.98/5  rDev +5%

12oz. bottle poured into a Beligan tulip.

A: Nice straw golden color. While hazy, clearer than expected. Very little head on this particular pour. Slightly clingy lacing however.
S: A few Belgian esters on the nose. A hint of banana-like fruitiness. A peppery note as well. Herbaceousness is present, although particulars don't stand out (parsley, sage, etc.) Smells of a nice farmhouse/saison.
T: An almost tripel-ish grainy sweetness right up front. Familiar Belgian template through most of the sip, but abruptly followed by the herbal punch. Again, can't pick out the particular herbs, but definitely a drying, bittering finish. Not a bright, fresh herbs in a sauce type of herb feel, or even a dry-hop type of flavor and aroma. If you didn't tell me it was an herbed beer, I'd probably just think it had some stronger bittering hop additions.
M: Mouthfeel seems appropriate for the style and ABV, nice a drinkable.
O: Interesting, but not necessarily over the top as one might expect from three particularly talented breweries. A really nice domestic saison in my opinion and while the herbs definitely have a presence, it kind of leaves you wanting just a little more. A fine beer none the less.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

I've had the DFH and Victory versions of the Saison du Buff. I've been looking to complete the triple, and I happened to see this final one on the beer menu at RFD in Washington D.C.

The beer was served in a tulip and served with grace by my knowledgable server.

The coloring was a very light yellow with about three fingers of light foam. This foam retained very well and leaves some decent lacing.

I immediately smelled sage and rosemary before I brought the glass to my nose. These are two of my favorite spices (I'm a fresh spice slut).

I get a lot of rosemary in my first taste. You can pull out the sage by working the liquid over in your mouth. Overall there is some decent balance. The surprise is that I don't get any of the expected sour/horse blanket presence that is typical to the saison style.

This is a challenging beer to drink based on the complexity. This is probably the most challeging to drink light beer I've ever had.

I think this is a pretty good spice beer, but out of the three Saison du Buffs... I like the the DFH the best.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

I missed out on this one the first time around. I had the Dogfish Head and Victory versions but had to wait till the 2012 collaboration for this one. Very similar to the others, less lemon zest, more grassy hops but still heavy duty on the spices.

Pours a hazy gold color with a big carbonated white head and some thick lacing. Head retention is pretty good.

Strong aroma of grassy hops and rosemary and the othr spices.

Taste is similar to aroma. Spices up front, a little vegetable taste but not enough to mess things up and some grassy hops.A little lemon zest here, but not as much as the other versions. No funkiness or yeasty taste like traditional saisons Like the other versions, this is not a beer for mass swilling, the spices would get annoying after two beers.

Mouthfeel is light but not weak and watery, crisp and interesting on the tongue with the spices.

All in all, a good refreshing summer beer.

Overall a pretty good summer beer, I still like more traditional Saisons better

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

I'll preface this review by saying that I think this beer was well done, just not my thing.

A-Nice golden color, with a touch of brown honey color. It poured slightly cloudy with a thin off-white head (I poured from bottle into a pint glass).

S-Strong herbal notes...lots of thyme, a touch of lemon and straw.

T-The herbal notes carry through strongly, which is both good and bad, IMO. There is a slight hoppiness to it and somewhat vegetal taste that I found a little off-putting after about 3 oz. I would have liked more apple and/or pear flavors.

M-fair to midland...moderate carbonation, medium body. You notice the alcohol versus some other saisons.

O-It was a complex beer, with a long finish. True to its label, it was very herbal. However, that vegetal aspect rubbed me the wrong way and I could have used more yeast/fruit. I just don't think it was for me.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.