Saison Du BUFF - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more:  http://vimeo.com/11419846

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Du BUFF Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

2012 bottle.

Cloudy golden colour. Moderately sized white head. Fades to a film fairly quickly. Good lacing.

Herbs and spices stand out strongly. Sage, white pepper, others. Lemon and other light fruits. A bit floral.

Taste is strongly herbal. Sage, rosemary, thyme. Almost peppermint. Some lemon and yeast below. Herbal taste is too much for me.

Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall, not bad. Some good qualities but the herbal focus is not my thing.

jrenihan, Aug 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

stevevictor, Aug 21, 2012

Ispeakforthetrees, Aug 21, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

A: pours a cloudy light orange with a small white head that fades to a collar and small pool in a duvel tulip
S: smells of pale malt, fruity esters, and all sorts of herbs with some spicy yeast aroma
T: nice pale malt flavor, a bit of fruitiness, spice from the yeast, sage and many other herbs, maybe some basil. swallow brings another nice herbal kick with a bit of fruitiness and some yeastyness. not a lot of bitterness
M: moderate with soft carbonation and it leaves the palate a bit wet
O: a pretty tasty beer. it has good flavors and nice complexity but isn't quite to style.

SHODriver, Aug 20, 2012

Gehrig13, Aug 14, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

robertgurley, Aug 13, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +5%

12oz. bottle poured into a Beligan tulip.

A: Nice straw golden color. While hazy, clearer than expected. Very little head on this particular pour. Slightly clingy lacing however.
S: A few Belgian esters on the nose. A hint of banana-like fruitiness. A peppery note as well. Herbaceousness is present, although particulars don't stand out (parsley, sage, etc.) Smells of a nice farmhouse/saison.
T: An almost tripel-ish grainy sweetness right up front. Familiar Belgian template through most of the sip, but abruptly followed by the herbal punch. Again, can't pick out the particular herbs, but definitely a drying, bittering finish. Not a bright, fresh herbs in a sauce type of herb feel, or even a dry-hop type of flavor and aroma. If you didn't tell me it was an herbed beer, I'd probably just think it had some stronger bittering hop additions.
M: Mouthfeel seems appropriate for the style and ABV, nice a drinkable.
O: Interesting, but not necessarily over the top as one might expect from three particularly talented breweries. A really nice domestic saison in my opinion and while the herbs definitely have a presence, it kind of leaves you wanting just a little more. A fine beer none the less.

Braseltonage, Aug 13, 2012

crob3888, Aug 11, 2012

EL_Ishi, Aug 08, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

friedpotatoes, Aug 07, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

I've had the DFH and Victory versions of the Saison du Buff. I've been looking to complete the triple, and I happened to see this final one on the beer menu at RFD in Washington D.C.

The beer was served in a tulip and served with grace by my knowledgable server.

The coloring was a very light yellow with about three fingers of light foam. This foam retained very well and leaves some decent lacing.

I immediately smelled sage and rosemary before I brought the glass to my nose. These are two of my favorite spices (I'm a fresh spice slut).

I get a lot of rosemary in my first taste. You can pull out the sage by working the liquid over in your mouth. Overall there is some decent balance. The surprise is that I don't get any of the expected sour/horse blanket presence that is typical to the saison style.

This is a challenging beer to drink based on the complexity. This is probably the most challeging to drink light beer I've ever had.

I think this is a pretty good spice beer, but out of the three Saison du Buffs... I like the the DFH the best.

ummswimmin, Aug 05, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

I missed out on this one the first time around. I had the Dogfish Head and Victory versions but had to wait till the 2012 collaboration for this one. Very similar to the others, less lemon zest, more grassy hops but still heavy duty on the spices.

Pours a hazy gold color with a big carbonated white head and some thick lacing. Head retention is pretty good.

Strong aroma of grassy hops and rosemary and the othr spices.

Taste is similar to aroma. Spices up front, a little vegetable taste but not enough to mess things up and some grassy hops.A little lemon zest here, but not as much as the other versions. No funkiness or yeasty taste like traditional saisons Like the other versions, this is not a beer for mass swilling, the spices would get annoying after two beers.

Mouthfeel is light but not weak and watery, crisp and interesting on the tongue with the spices.

All in all, a good refreshing summer beer.

Overall a pretty good summer beer, I still like more traditional Saisons better

JayQue, Aug 04, 2012

LibrariansLoveBEER, Aug 04, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

I'll preface this review by saying that I think this beer was well done, just not my thing.

A-Nice golden color, with a touch of brown honey color. It poured slightly cloudy with a thin off-white head (I poured from bottle into a pint glass).

S-Strong herbal notes...lots of thyme, a touch of lemon and straw.

T-The herbal notes carry through strongly, which is both good and bad, IMO. There is a slight hoppiness to it and somewhat vegetal taste that I found a little off-putting after about 3 oz. I would have liked more apple and/or pear flavors.

M-fair to midland...moderate carbonation, medium body. You notice the alcohol versus some other saisons.

O-It was a complex beer, with a long finish. True to its label, it was very herbal. However, that vegetal aspect rubbed me the wrong way and I could have used more yeast/fruit. I just don't think it was for me.

spoony, Aug 04, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

TheRuss9585, Aug 03, 2012

VonZipper, Aug 02, 2012

Jovo, Aug 02, 2012

BigLittleHokis, Aug 02, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into chalice. 2012 version.

A - Pours a hazy golden color akin to apple juice. The head is thin for the style, little more than a halo. The lacing is unimpressive.

S - Fresh herbs dominate the nose as advertised. Thyme, sage and fennel seed come to mind. They combine with a slight barnyard funk to make this one smell like an herb garden. Lacks the citrus character I usually enjoy in Saisons, but this one works.

T - Starts herbal then sweet belgian yeasts hit midpalate. Slightly citric, unlike the nose. The finish is of funk and mild grassy hops. There is a slightly astringent aftertaste, but it becomes less noticeable as it warms.

M - Medium body with a dry finish. The carbonation is serviceable for the style.

O - Ironically this was the first of the three Saison du Buff that I tried, but the last I am reviewing. This one, like the others, is big on the herbs. I really enjoyed the aroma but my palate fatigued of the flavors somewhat, by the end. I would still rate it just above the DFH version, in the competition of interesting, but mediocre beers.

NoLeafClover44, Aug 02, 2012
Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing Co.